Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:59:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
b-trading

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 10:58:29 AM

i think i will be feel safe if i can hold 70% gold and 30% bitcoin...just to take care about something worst which could be happen in the future of bitcoin...about gold there is nothing to worry about it even in the next 100 years ahead
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:12:01 AM

i think i will be feel safe if i can hold 70% gold and 30% bitcoin...just to take care about something worst which could be happen in the future of bitcoin...about gold there is nothing to worry about it even in the next 100 years ahead

You can't say that gold is 100% risk free, although the chances that the gold prices might collapse is much lower than that for Bitcoin. It will be best to diversify your investment. Invest no more than 30% in bullion, and no more than 5% in Bitcoin. Invest the remaining in real estate, equities and bonds.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:57:58 PM

Gold is more secure and more volatile.

Gold is more volatile than Bitcoin? I don't know from where did you got your information from. Gold has been one of the most stable forms of wealth during the last 10-15 years, compared to the Bitcoin, which has lost almost 80% of its value in the past 18 months. BTW... I'll agree that it is more secure.

their chart are alike, so it is not fair to compare all the history of gold to 6 year of bitcoin, chart is telling us that they basically share the same pattern, so the same volatility, but bitcoin potentially are bigger, for a series of advantage that everyone know already
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 03:51:38 PM

Gold is more volatile than Bitcoin? I don't know from where did you got your information from. Gold has been one of the most stable forms of wealth during the last 10-15 years, compared to the Bitcoin, which has lost almost 80% of its value in the past 18 months. BTW... I'll agree that it is more secure.

their chart are alike, so it is not fair to compare all the history of gold to 6 year of bitcoin, chart is telling us that they basically share the same pattern, so the same volatility, but bitcoin potentially are bigger, for a series of advantage that everyone know already

I remember you were telling quite the opposite the other day, that gold is dull and boring since its price scarcely moves, and that you can't profit much from it due to this regrettable fact. And now you blabber an entirely different story...

Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 04:36:56 PM

I'd do gold, it has a bigger market as of right now, bitcoin is just a little unpredictable right now. It's kind of scary to invest in large amounts.
Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 04:50:13 PM

Gold is accepted in whole world.
So I think gold is the better choice.
Bitcoin is still in infant. How do you assume that after 10 years it ensure you huge return.
You also can make a portfolio of investing in both gold and bitcoin that reduce risk margin.

What do you think that gold is more volatile that every kind of investment? I guess gold is the stable one compare to other investment.

Yes gold is accepted in a whole world, but how are you going to trade with it?

With bitcoin you can trade it everywhere, although the price is volatile, that is what people wrong about bitcoin, the more vilatile bitcoin is the more profit we could get
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 06:16:21 PM

Yes gold is accepted in a whole world, but how are you going to trade with it?

Gold bullion coins and bars, especially those issued by reputable mints such as the Pamp Suisse, the United States Mint, Casa da Moeda do Brasil, Royal Canadian Mint, and the South African Mint can be used for trading around the world. But there will be only a few places which accept these coins, and they are not suitable for low-volume transactions. In addition to this, you should have the documents / certificates proving that you are legally owning these coins / bars.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:03:31 PM

I remember you were telling quite the opposite the other day, that gold is dull and boring since its price scarcely moves, and that you can't profit much from it due to this regrettable fact. And now you blabber an entirely different story...

you did not understand apparently, what i was saying is actaully that, bitcoin has the same volatility of gold, which mean it is as stable as it and it is not so volatile at all like many think
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 07:27:06 PM

you did not understand apparently, what i was saying is actaully that, bitcoin has the same volatility of gold, which mean it is as stable as it and it is not so volatile at all like many think

O'really?

gold is forever stuck in a limbo, it won't rise by any significant amount, so you can't play with it on the market, unless you deal with a great amount and take advatage of the tiny spread

I guess you either don't know what volatility is or just trying to find a way to weasel out. Otherwise it means that Bitcoin is as dull and boring as gold...

GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:24:32 AM

BTC likely has a better risk/reward ratio

But altcoins have even better RR.

I would personally use it like this:

Asset above 10.000 €/$/£  -> Gold
Assets between 2000 and 10.000 -> Bitcoin
Assets below 2000 -> Spread out between a baskett of altcoins with no or very low inflation

Perfect portfolio, so stop bickering about gold vs bitcoin, instead of fighting lets unite them.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:37:42 AM

O'really?

gold is forever stuck in a limbo, it won't rise by any significant amount, so you can't play with it on the market, unless you deal with a great amount and take advatage of the tiny spread

I guess you either don't know what volatility is or just trying to find a way to weasel out. Otherwise it means that Bitcoin is as dull and boring as gold...

no you did not understand the context of my phrase as always, bitcoin it look stable as a gold right now, and so it will be more stable in the future like gold it is now

and yes bitcoin is boring to trade right now, i never said the contrary, you just made it up, to make look my post wrong as usual, stop with this shit please
oxiyusuf

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 08:12:09 AM

O'really?

no you did not understand the context of my phrase as always, bitcoin it look stable as a gold right now, and so it will be more stable in the future like gold it is now

and yes bitcoin is boring to trade right now, i never said the contrary, you just made it up, to make look my post wrong as usual, stop with this shit please
I think now is the right time bitcoin trading, especially with many issues evolving, it greatly affects the price of bitcoin .. maybe just some people who want to trade with bitcoin, but very profitable if it has been understood
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 09:41:11 AM

O'really?

Are you kidding? Gold has barely moved in the recent days (was sticking around 0.3-0.5% daily) as always, while bitcoin has been moving about an order stronger than that, that is 3-5% daily. Could you name a day in the recent years (I am not even speaking of months) when gold made even 3% daily?

Today Bitcoin has already made something around 8%

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:16:05 AM

O'really?

Are you kidding? Gold has barely moved in the recent days (was sticking around 0.3-0.5% daily) as always, while bitcoin has been moving about an order stronger than that, that is 3-5% daily. Could you name a day in the recent years (I am not even speaking of months) when gold made even 3% daily?

still it is too much stable until now with this new pump, i was merely talking like how they look akin now with the bitcoin being stuck in the current range(remove the pump that is happening just recently, and that it started after my post) 230-250, for many months

that's all, the difference is still negligeable, compared to the old days of bitcoin were volatility was much bigger, there is no comparison...
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:30:49 AM

Gold stability has already reached it's climax, and its volatility wont move up or down alot in the long future.

But bitcoin`s volatility has been decreasing linearly since the day of it's inception, with a few "fat tail events" like mtgox or the silk road crap, which added unforseen volatility to it.

But generally speaking, on average, there is a decreasing trend in bitcoin volatility. This is a fact. So wait 5-6 more years and bitcoin will have that 0.3% volatility too.

You can't deny facts can you? Or you are just a gold shill, because as i saw your previous posts, you promote gold very hard even though bitcoin is the supreme instrument.

Today Bitcoin has already made something around 8%[/b][/color]

Upward movement doesnt count, bitcoin is only a 1 way market, it goes up, so i usually dont even count the upward movement in the volatility figure, i only count the downward movement variance or the downward volatility.

Nobody is shorting bitcoin, c`mon Cheesy

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 10:35:04 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 10:56:32 AM by deisik

still it is too much stable until now with this new pump, i was merely talking like how they look akin now with the bitcoin being stuck in the current range(remove the pump that is happening just recently, and that it started after my post) 230-250, for many months

The 230-250 range (which in fact should be something like 220-250) gives you +5% volatility, now compare that to gold daily highs and lows of being about 0.5-1% difference. If bitcoin became just less volatile, it doesn't mean that it became as stable as gold...

Personally, I think that even that is temporary

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 10:42:30 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 10:54:29 AM by deisik

Gold stability has already reached it's climax, and its volatility wont move up or down alot in the long future.

I don't think so. Anything can happen, and, I'm afraid, is already happening. But in any case, Bitcoin volatility will by far surpass that of gold...

And you can't use Bitcoin charts starting from 2010, when it was pretty much in obscurity

Upward movement doesnt count, bitcoin is only a 1 way market, it goes up, so i usually dont even count the upward movement in the volatility figure, i only count the downward movement variance or the downward volatility.

Are you sure that you properly understand what volatility is? There is no such thing as downward volatility as well as upward volatility. Volatility is a measure of variance. Most often, standard deviation is used to numerically express the value of volatility. Do you know how it is calculated?

I am, since it went over 250. I expect it to come close to 300 (if ever) and then back to 200, and probably even below that. Time will tell

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:06:14 AM

I don't think so. Anything can happen, and, I'm afraid, is already happening. But in any case, Bitcoin volatility will by far surpass that of gold...

And you can't use Bitcoin charts starting from 2010, when it was pretty much in obscurity

Are you sure that you properly understand what volatility is? There is no such thing as downward volatility as well as upward volatility. Volatility is a measure of variance. Most often, standard deviation is used to numerically express the value of volatility. Do you know how it is calculated?

I am, since it went over 250. I expect it to come close to 300 (if ever) and then back to 200, and probably even below that. Time will tell

1) Well the sample itself is the entire data we have, and the sample is too small, we had many many events happening, almost every 6 months a big event, but after the event you see that the volatility quickly disperges. Now i cannot know for sure that the latest spikes being smaller and smaller are due to increasing confidence or due to lack or major news

So for that we will need to wait atleast 3-4 years to see how bitcoin turns out to be , where it fits in the world. But from just this data itself we can see that the volatility is decreasing, no doubt. But the cause remains to be determined

2) There is such thing as downward volatility, i dont know the exact term, english is not my native language, but you calculate that just as the standard deviation, except you dont take the absolute value from the mean of both the above and below elements, instead you only count the items that are below the mean = price decreases. This indicator shows you the downward volatility, because the variance as such is an absolute value composed of 2 subsets of data.

3) That was actually a joke, you cant short bitcoin, as in short in the financial sense. You can only buy & sell bitcoin, the "short" operation requires bitcoins to be printed out of thin air, or another collateral set aside by the exchange in form of swaps ( but thats just a workaround pseudo-shorting actually).
I know bitfinex does a good job with margin trading, but still you cannot short more bitcoins then they are on the exchange, whereas in the financial world with fiat money you can just grab a nice infiniate amount 0% interest fast loan and plummet a stock from 200$ to 1 cent in 15 minutes.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 11:23:04 AM

2) There is such thing as downward volatility, i dont know the exact term, english is not my native language, but you calculate that just as the standard deviation, except you dont take the absolute value from the mean of both the above and below elements, instead you only count the items that are below the mean = price decreases. This indicator shows you the downward volatility, because the variance as such is an absolute value composed of 2 subsets of data.

I don't quite understand what you mean or how you calculate the value you speak about, but it won't be volatility, by any means. By definition, volatility means price deviation around some value, in both directions, that is, up and down. What you mean is most likely called trend and its range or strength...

3) That was actually a joke, you cant short bitcoin, as in short in the financial sense. You can only buy & sell bitcoin, the "short" operation requires bitcoins to be printed out of thin air, or another collateral set aside by the exchange in form of swaps ( but thats just a workaround pseudo-shorting actually).
I know bitfinex does a good job with margin trading, but still you cannot short more bitcoins then they are on the exchange, whereas in the financial world with fiat money you can just grab a nice infiniate amount 0% interest fast loan and plummet a stock from 200$ to 1 cent in 15 minutes.

Actually, I'm not shorting Bitcoin in the sense of borrowing and selling it and then buying back at a lower price (or as luck would have it). I just started to sell my stash of bitcoins in small portions after the price had got above ~250$ (and buying back when the price rebounds)...

So far so good

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:31:40 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 11:55:45 AM by Amph

The 230-250 range (which in fact should be something like 220-250) gives you +5% volatility, now compare that to gold daily highs and lows of being about 0.5-1% difference. If bitcoin became just less volatile, it doesn't mean that it became as stable as gold...

Personally, I think that even that is temporary

well i was never talking about perfectly comparison, i just said that it was akin to gold, in the last recent months

it is obvious you can't expect it to be exactly like gold it is, especially because bitcoin needs more years to achieve such stability

1% vs 5% is a pretty narrow difference for me

p.s. lol i said doge, i must have confused it with another post, fixed
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: