Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:12:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Grin | PoW Mining | Electronic transactions for all. Community driven.  (Read 73508 times)
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 26, 2021, 08:30:22 AM
Merited by bbc.reporter (1)

eternal of coin emission is worst

https://john-tromp.medium.com/a-case-for-using-soft-total-supply-1169a188d153
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 03:09:17 AM

@tromp. The problem is everyone who has witnessed the fast price growth of bitcoin wants this to also occur similar to their next coin held. For many people, the only way for this to occur is to implement a monetary policy with limited supply which causes scarcity to come much faster than infinite emmission. I reckon we can say that it has become the standard in the cryptospace hehehe.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 08:16:58 AM

The problem is everyone who has witnessed the fast price growth of bitcoin wants this to also occur similar to their next coin held.

For many people, that is the case. They only want to speculate on coins in order to profit.
Grin doesn't need to cater to these people. Every other coin already does.

But not everyone is like that. Some see the value in having the simplest and fairest emission of 1 per second forever.
98 years from now, when comparing century+ old coins, all of which will have negligible inflation, there will be only one that has been evenly distributed throughout the whole century, much like Gold throughout its history.
KIZILAGA

Activity: 210
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 10:32:27 AM

Many infinite supply coins made the bull run. So your theory is not true.  rvn pow  is almost 35x more than Grin. RVN gets demand,Grin doesnt.

Wallet and exchange problems killed the ecosystem. Thats simple truth.
Texacha

Activity: 480
Merit: 68

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 10:45:31 AM

98 years from now.......
Maybe this is the answer.

I have no affiliate link, no bounty, no signature campaign... Only Proof Of Work!
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 04:43:20 AM

The problem is everyone who has witnessed the fast price growth of bitcoin wants this to also occur similar to their next coin held.

For many people, that is the case. They only want to speculate on coins in order to profit.
Grin doesn't need to cater to these people. Every other coin already does.

But not everyone is like that. Some see the value in having the simplest and fairest emission of 1 per second forever.
98 years from now, when comparing century+ old coins, all of which will have negligible inflation, there will be only one that has been evenly distributed throughout the whole century, much like Gold throughout its history.

Agreed. However, there should be a balance between speculation and emission to acquire the needed hashrate for the security of the coin. On Grin it can be argued that it is harder acquire the needed hashrate because of miner sell pressure on the price. This is very dangerous for Grin’s safety from 51% attacks.

Also, Grin’s holders will not live for 98 years.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 07:14:23 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2021, 11:03:17 AM by tromp

Agreed. However, there should be a balance between speculation and emission to acquire the needed hashrate for the security of the coin.

Grin's slow emission gives it a much higher security than other coins in the long term.
Coins that keep halving the block subsidy but that do not develop a fee market like Bitcoin does, will face a future security crisis.

Grin is as much for future generations as it is for the current one.
Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 09:46:04 AM

Hah, thnx a lot, but why?
Death by emission? Tongue

When Lambo parity? Grin

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Texacha

Activity: 480
Merit: 68

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 12:13:30 PM

Grin's holders children probably won't be alive 98 years from now...  Cry

I have no affiliate link, no bounty, no signature campaign... Only Proof Of Work!
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 04:40:54 AM

Agreed. However, there should be a balance between speculation and emission to acquire the needed hashrate for the security of the coin.

Grin's slow emission gives it a much higher security than other coins in the long term.
Coins that keep halving the block subsidy but that do not develop a fee market like Bitcoin does, will face a future security crisis.

I agree in the longterm, however, in the beginning of a coin with a monetary policy similar to Grin and in the present state of the cryptospace where the only interest is on get rich quick cryptocoins, I reckon Grin is vulnerable unless miners agree to mine with a loss by not selling what they mine.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 08:38:26 AM

I agree in the longterm, however, in the beginning of a coin with a monetary policy similar to Grin and in the present state of the cryptospace where the only interest is on get rich quick cryptocoins, I reckon Grin is vulnerable unless miners agree to mine with a loss by not selling what they mine.

The last time I sold what I mined, was exactly two years ago.
Since then - no mining - and I'm so happy for that. I hold more Grin than I ever would have mined.

You talk about recreational miners. Cool.
How about the whale type ones - who have shorted Grin 100 fold since it's birth?
[Ah, yes, the monetary policy.]

And please, not everybody wants to get rich quick. Tongue
I actually like Grin, if only I could use it somewhere. Maybe that's the problem.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
KIZILAGA

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 10:12:28 AM

what kinda state of mind accusing people with ''pump and dump'' get rich etc, who talks about rapid depreciation of currency faster than its inflation?  What will happen if those people who buys or holds Grin,decrease gradually* as it happens present time* faster than inflation?

Blaming people constantly becuz they bought and hold grin is nonsense. And i read the whitepaper'' Grin core team'' isnt interested in price but  for making the necessary technical improvements for creating demand in the market.

it is ridiculous to talk about inflation ,yearly reward is only 11 million usd in this crypto atmosphere. Better we Dont cover up bad governance with inflation excuses.

*not blaming or targeting a person.Governance is a community issue.
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2021, 12:49:08 PM

https://grinnews.substack.com/p/136-fund-splitting-proposals-
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 01:12:46 AM

what kinda state of mind accusing people with ''pump and dump'' get rich etc, who talks about rapid depreciation of currency faster than its inflation?  What will happen if those people who buys or holds Grin,decrease gradually* as it happens present time* faster than inflation?

Blaming people constantly becuz they bought and hold grin is nonsense. And i read the whitepaper'' Grin core team'' isnt interested in price but  for making the necessary technical improvements for creating demand in the market.

it is ridiculous to talk about inflation ,yearly reward is only 11 million usd in this crypto atmosphere. Better we Dont cover up bad governance with inflation excuses.

*not blaming or targeting a person.Governance is a community issue.

We are talking about balance of value and emission and how to find this in the first stages after release of a proof of work cryptocoin project. The price of the coin should be sustainable from the beginning in this age of the cryptospace where the community is more aware and knowledgeable. This is not a similar time to the beginning of bitcoin where the project can be low hashrate, insecure from 51% attacks and be alright.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 10:31:47 AM

Call for Grin Community Candidates for additional fund granting control

Grin is a cryptocurrency that launched with no premine or dev tax of any kind, after a multi-year development effort by volunteers led by founder Ignotus Peverell.
The only source of funding for continued development comes from donations to the Grin General Fund [1].
Thanks to many generous contributions including two early bitcoin coinbase donations in 2019, and to the recent
Bitcoin price surge, Grin now finds itself very well funded, to the tune of several million dollars.
The Bitcoin funds are held in a multisig wallet controlled by members of the Grin Council.

RFC 0014 [2] specifies the guidelines for spending the Grin Development Fund.
Funding requests are made in the Grin Forum, and 1-3 weeks later decided upon in a public government meeting.

Some community members have expressed concern that the current funding model leaves the direction of Grin development too much under the control of the 7 members of the Council and their vision of what Grin should be. A related concern is that a majority of funds is applied for and granted to several members of the Council.

In response, the Council has expressed a willingness to share funding control with people from the wider Grin community.
Following public discussions on what forms this could take, there are now 3 proposals in place [3][4][5], that call for a selection of community members to either add control of the single existing fund, or be in full control of 1 or 2 separate funds to be split off from the existing fund.

In order to streamline the challenges of selecting the best proposal and selecting candidates for that proposal,
we invite community mmembers with a keen interest in helping to fund Grin projects to put forth their candidacy
and indicate which of the 3 proposals they prefer to operate under. All applications made before the end of Mar 2021
will then be considered in April to select the most prefered proposal and who will serve it.

Each candidacy should use its own thread ("New Topic") under the "Governance" category on the Grin Forum [6].

[1] https://grin.mw/fund
[2] https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin-rfcs/blob/master/text/0014-general-fund-guidelines.md
[3] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-a-grants-model-proposal
[4] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-a-split-fund-proposal
[5] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-another-split-fund-proposal
[6] https://forum.grin.mw/
KIZILAGA

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 10:56:34 AM

Call for Grin Community Candidates for additional fund granting control

Grin is a cryptocurrency that launched with no premine or dev tax of any kind, after a multi-year development effort by volunteers led by founder Ignotus Peverell.
The only source of funding for continued development comes from donations to the Grin General Fund [1].
Thanks to many generous contributions including two early bitcoin coinbase donations in 2019, and to the recent
Bitcoin price surge, Grin now finds itself very well funded, to the tune of several million dollars.
The Bitcoin funds are held in a multisig wallet controlled by members of the Grin Council.

RFC 0014 [2] specifies the guidelines for spending the Grin Development Fund.
Funding requests are made in the Grin Forum, and 1-3 weeks later decided upon in a public government meeting.

Some community members have expressed concern that the current funding model leaves the direction of Grin development too much under the control of the 7 members of the Council and their vision of what Grin should be. A related concern is that a majority of funds is applied for and granted to several members of the Council.

In response, the Council has expressed a willingness to share funding control with people from the wider Grin community.
Following public discussions on what forms this could take, there are now 3 proposals in place [3][4][5], that call for a selection of community members to either add control of the single existing fund, or be in full control of 1 or 2 separate funds to be split off from the existing fund.

In order to streamline the challenges of selecting the best proposal and selecting candidates for that proposal,
we invite community mmembers with a keen interest in helping to fund Grin projects to put forth their candidacy
and indicate which of the 3 proposals they prefer to operate under. All applications made before the end of Mar 2021
will then be considered in April to select the most prefered proposal and who will serve it.

Each candidacy should use its own thread ("New Topic") under the "Governance" category on the Grin Forum [6].

[1] https://grin.mw/fund
[2] https://github.com/mimblewimble/grin-rfcs/blob/master/text/0014-general-fund-guidelines.md
[3] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-a-grants-model-proposal
[4] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-a-split-fund-proposal
[5] https://forum.grin.mw/t/fund-alternative-another-split-fund-proposal
[6] https://forum.grin.mw/

Wow. very cypherphunk and noble move from Grin team! Grin is getting bigger decentralized governance,really community driven.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 03:41:05 AM

@tromp. On funding, I reckon it might be much more efficient if it is centralized to a group of trusted people who are competent and honest than risk the funds only because a certain group of people in the community want their hands on some of the funds.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 02:23:13 PM
Merited by bbc.reporter (1)

Hello grinners. Been playing around a bit with grin lately. Thought I would fire up my old BCT account and check out the thread here.

I never buy an altcoin early because of that early inflation. I watched grin for a while for a bottom. Finally just bought hoping I caught the bottom.

It's a really cool project. Criminally undervalued at rank #500+. I hope the wider crypto community recognizes. this.  Undecided But what ever, I'm willing to gamble a little on the hopes that they will.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
tromp
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 04:14:12 PM

It's a really cool project. Criminally undervalued at rank #500+.

Don't judge Grin by marketcap. It's only at about 2% of its soft total supply after all [1].
Better judge it by daily dollar emission, as seen on this PoW ranking [2], where it's in the top 25.

[1] https://john-tromp.medium.com/a-case-for-using-soft-total-supply-1169a188d153
[2] https://www.f2pool.com/coins

tromp
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 04:15:39 PM

ASICs galore!

https://forum.grin.mw/t/chicken-1-4-are-not-running-away-ipollo-g1-mini-review-and-disassembly
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  

Jump to: