Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:50:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Grin | PoW Mining | Electronic transactions for all. Community driven.  (Read 73508 times)
kronos123

Activity: 1022
Merit: 391

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 04:12:40 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

https://github.com/mimblewimble/docs/wiki/Monetary-Policy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RO3zc5AvfN9rcVnrYnLjqCikFLHmD39_7MCV18lDrvc/edit#gid=0
The above spreadsheet looks out of date now.
The following spreadsheet should be more accurate.  Reward/block should be 60, not 50.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hGyC8tSivtZqjlu8aQgjG0pKfKc0L0RO0leMfjPADp0/edit#gid=0

Why does it start from March 2018? Is that when the testnet launched? And it just became the mainnet afterwards?
Wondering this question too. However,  not found an answer to it so far.

It is simply going down because at the present time GRIN has one of the highest inflation in the market (I don't know if it is the highest); it will gradually decrease over time, until it is almost negligible after 30 years, but the objective fact remains that we have 86400 new Grins on the market every day, more than 31 million Grin every year, FOREVER.

All this in a relatively stationary / lateral market, with many "old" projects close to the release of Mainet or important partnerships, with "problems" relating to wallets to send and receive Grin ( completely different and more complicated than the previous Coins ), here is we can explain a slight and constant drop in the new currency!

Finally I believe that the "creators" of GRIN did not want the umpteenth coin to speculate and earn above, the umpteenth gold digital to be kept in the wallet without spending it, because tomorrow has a higher price (why spend today $ 1000 if tomorrow can worth $ 5,000 / 10,000?); I believe that the creators of GRIN wanted a new Coin minable, anonymous, fast, and above all with a light blockchain.

So let's say that today GRIN is not a store of value, it is not yet widespread as a means of payment and is not yet user friendly (it could become so in the future); on the other hand GRIN is today a new Coin with privacy, no address, with a new and innovative protocol (MimbleWimble and Couckoo Cycle), with a light blockchain, medium of exchange!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sylabis

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 12:41:39 AM

What is going on with grin coin? I read some of the comments on here and they don't seem too bad, and the general cryptocurrency market is not doing bad right now but the grin coin price is down like 70% since it started trading on Poloniex.  Are they diluting, company selling coins on the market, or no buying interest? I bought some, bought more then bought more and all I did was lose Cry

https://github.com/mimblewimble/docs/wiki/Monetary-Policy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RO3zc5AvfN9rcVnrYnLjqCikFLHmD39_7MCV18lDrvc/edit#gid=0
The above spreadsheet looks out of date now.
The following spreadsheet should be more accurate.  Reward/block should be 60, not 50.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hGyC8tSivtZqjlu8aQgjG0pKfKc0L0RO0leMfjPADp0/edit#gid=0

Why does it start from March 2018? Is that when the testnet launched? And it just became the mainnet afterwards?
Wondering this question too. However,  not found an answer to it so far.

It is simply going down because at the present time GRIN has one of the highest inflation in the market (I don't know if it is the highest); it will gradually decrease over time, until it is almost negligible after 30 years, but the objective fact remains that we have 86400 new Grins on the market every day, more than 31 million Grin every year, FOREVER.

All this in a relatively stationary / lateral market, with many "old" projects close to the release of Mainet or important partnerships, with "problems" relating to wallets to send and receive Grin ( completely different and more complicated than the previous Coins ), here is we can explain a slight and constant drop in the new currency!

Finally I believe that the "creators" of GRIN did not want the umpteenth coin to speculate and earn above, the umpteenth gold digital to be kept in the wallet without spending it, because tomorrow has a higher price (why spend today $ 1000 if tomorrow can worth $ 5,000 / 10,000?); I believe that the creators of GRIN wanted a new Coin minable, anonymous, fast, and above all with a light blockchain.

So let's say that today GRIN is not a store of value, it is not yet widespread as a means of payment and is not yet user friendly (it could become so in the future); on the other hand GRIN is today a new Coin with privacy, no address, with a new and innovative protocol (MimbleWimble and Couckoo Cycle), with a light blockchain, medium of exchange!

What you are saying is simply not true. Why are Beam and Bitgrin also going down when they have an emission schedule akin to Bitcoin? Why is XYZ shit coin also going down when it to has an emission schedule akin to Bitcoin? Why is Bitcoin itself going down? The reality is we are in a bear market and the likelihood is that even if Grin had Bitcoin's exact emission schedule price would still be down and moon boys would still be sad.

Grin is aimed at becoming a medium of exchange, however, it's not going to become a medium of exchange any time soon. It needs to become a store of value first- It needs to retain it's purchasing power before anyone accepts it as tender. The creators of Grin never designed it not to become a store of value, they just designed it not to become the BEST store of value.  It seems many don't understand this.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 03:07:16 AM

What you are saying is simply not true. Why are Beam and Bitgrin also going down when they have an emission schedule akin to Bitcoin? Why is XYZ shit coin also going down when it to has an emission schedule akin to Bitcoin? Why is Bitcoin itself going down? The reality is we are in a bear market and the likelihood is that even if Grin had Bitcoin's exact emission schedule price would still be down and moon boys would still be sad.

Grin is aimed at becoming a medium of exchange, however, it's not going to become a medium of exchange any time soon. It needs to become a store of value first- It needs to retain it's purchasing power before anyone accepts it as tender. The creators of Grin never designed it not to become a store of value, they just designed it not to become the BEST store of value for initial investing.  It seems many don't understand this.

FTFY Tongue

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 01:44:17 PM

GRIN faucet? :\ when?

Faucet is not free.

It looks like that every crypto investor want to own it at different desired amount.

I dont believe any sane investor want to own GRIN at this point of time.

dafaq you sayin yes faucets give you free coins ..lol :-D you new here?

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 01:49:26 PM

Grin and the Mythical Fair Launch

When Grin launched in early January after years of anticipation, it faced material pushback from prominent Bitcoiners who labeled it a “VC coin” and compared it to offerings from the 2016/18 ICO era. We think that criticism is unjustified as Grin’s launch was one of the fairest launches ever, if not the fairest.

https://medium.com/@arjunblj/grin-and-the-mythical-fair-launch-395ca87a5e73?source=email-1e154d444ca3-1553593066675-digest.reader------0-59------------------05974474_35e0_46be_a91c_930fdf7eddf3-1&sectionName=top

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 26, 2019, 03:07:49 PM

GRIN faucet? :\ when?

Faucet is not free.

dafaq you sayin yes faucets give you free coins ..lol :-D you new here?

OK then get some of theses "free" coins and send them to me. I have no ideas how you can get them free.
RivAngE

Activity: 728
Merit: 169

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

View Profile
March 27, 2019, 10:30:06 AM

I'm kinda confused after reading this article: https://www.coindesk.com/grin-cryptocurrency-to-vote-on-change-to-hard-fork-roadmap

So right now most of the blocks are mined with GPUs and fewer are mined with ASICS. The roadmap is to gradually shift from GPU>ASIC to ASIC>GPU block amount, with changes taking place about once every 1.5 years.
An ASIC design seems to be ready and they said the single-chip ASICs are better than multi-chip ones. OK... I don't see where the problem is and why should the roadmap shift in anyway.
Is there any difference between single-chip and multi-chip designs?
dungp3132

Activity: 274
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 27, 2019, 01:34:31 PM

Changes over 1.5 years, this is likely gradual changes, very very low speed.
The Grin coin has launched its main net around less than a half of year, so it is too soon to make such big changes, in my opinon.
Not sure about the reliability of the article.
Does it really reflect core ideas to improve network performance from grin coin team?
RivAngE

View Profile
March 27, 2019, 09:30:21 PM

Changes over 1.5 years, this is likely gradual changes, very very low speed.
The Grin coin has launched its main net around less than a half of year, so it is too soon to make such big changes, in my opinon.
Not sure about the reliability of the article.
Does it really reflect core ideas to improve network performance from grin coin team?

Well... it IS reliable since (1) it's on Coindesk and (2) it points in the official forums: https://www.grin-forum.org/t/obelisk-grn1-chip-details/4571
One of the guys who seems to be in GRIN's team posted the following,

Thanks for sharing that, David!

Needless to say, this throws quite a spanner in the works of Grin’s anti-single-chip-ASIC stance, as laid out in Scheduled PoW upgrades proposal 22, and as further discussed in Cuckatoo32 feasibility 16.

Your point about the very different heat density is well taken; that kind of invalidates my claim that single-chip cuckoo ASICs are not meaningfully different from SHA256 ones.

Perhaps I should admit defeat and accept the reality of single-chip ASICs. If what you say is true and none of the next few size upgrades forces a memory IO bottleneck, then we might be better off disabling future phaseouts from some point on.

This would invalidate our commitment to ASIC manufacturers 32, so any such change would ideally need to meet with their approval.

I welcome community discussion on the best way forward.

I don't understand the technical issue and that's what I asked in my previous post.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 03:17:44 AM

Is there a daily primary and secondary hashrate chart that is plotted from the very beginning? I would like to see Grin mining's progress. Thank you.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
RivAngE

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 08:05:00 AM

Is there a daily primary and secondary hashrate chart that is plotted from the very beginning? I would like to see Grin mining's progress. Thank you.

This is not exactly the same, but here is the difficulty chart from the very beggining of the mainnet,
https://grinexplorer.net/

This site has better graphs but they don't even go 1 month back Angry
https://grinscan.net/charts

crypt0.zone

Activity: 154
Merit: 28

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 08:19:32 AM

Hi guys!

We have just added support for Grin to our Crypto Mining Profitability Calculator: https://crypt0.zone/calculator/!

Feel free to send us some feedback.
We are open for all suggestions

Cool

Visit crypt0.zone/calculator/
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1082

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 10:23:41 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Maybe my actual proposal on the Grin Forum

https://www.grin-forum.org/t/grin-improvement-proposal-1-put-later-phase-outs-on-hold-and-rephrase-primary-pow-commitment

clarifies the issues.
RivAngE

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 12:21:30 PM

I'm sorry again but maybe I'm missing something? I read your whole post there and went through some comments but I still don't get something.
You wrote that,
  • Single chip Cuckoo ASICs being meaningfully different from computation ones
  • The likelihood of single chip ASICs outperforming multi-chip ones for the next 2-8 years

And my question is: "What is bad with single chips? Why is there a conversation about changing the roadmap because of that?"

It's probably something obvious which I lack the technical knowledge to see, so sorry for the trouble! Lips sealed Cheesy
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1441

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 03:05:07 AM

I want to learn all this! Can someone give me links to threads, discussions and articles about single chip and multichip Asics and why single chip Asics are undesirable specifically in Grin?

Google is not much help.

@RivAngE. Thank you. The all time difficulty chart is good enough.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
2Miners

Activity: 268
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2019, 06:43:41 AM

GRIN mining pools are Online at 2Miners.

PPLNS: https://grin.2miners.com/
SOLO: https://solo-grin.2miners.com/

2Miners supports both GRIN mining algorithms: Cuckaroo C29 and Cuckatoo C31. Our pool detects the algorithm you set in your miner automatically and provides the job required. Which algorithm to use is entirely up to you, and we are making sure the rewards are calculated accordingly based on the complexity of a particular algorithm.

Please have a look at the help page before you start: https://grin.2miners.com/en/help

How To Mine Grin? - The Definitive Guide

2Miners - Altcoins mining pools, PPLNS & SOLO Mining. Reliable servers with low ping, fast payouts, unique features.
2MINERS.COM     |     Twitter     |     Facebook     |     Telegram EN     |     Telegram RU
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1082

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 11:19:26 AM

I'm sorry again but maybe I'm missing something? I read your whole post there and went through some comments but I still don't get something.
You wrote that,
  • The likelihood of single chip ASICs outperforming multi-chip ones for the next 2-8 years

And my question is: "What is bad with single chips? Why is there a conversation about changing the roadmap because of that?"

It's probably something obvious which I lack the technical knowledge to see, so sorry for the trouble! Lips sealed Cheesy

Please read all of https://www.grin-forum.org/t/scheduled-pow-upgrades-proposal
Single chips are not bad, but I thought that if you're happy with single chip ASICs you might as well use a more straightforward PoW like bitcoin's instead of a memory hard one.
With a memory hard PoW, forcing a memory IO bottleneck seemed more interesting.
darkfanat

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2019, 10:56:11 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2019, 11:17:50 AM by darkfanat

https://grin.frostypool.com

This is probably the best pool I've ever tried. Withdrawal of coins at any time with cash balance of at least 1 GRIN, fee 0%.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/515343771479834625/561502368680902657/666666666666666666666666666666666.png

Account wallet
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/515343771479834625/561502401991933952/wallet.png

Withdrawal

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/515343771479834625/561502429762289684/wallet2.png

dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 30, 2019, 01:03:08 PM

You wrote that,

Please read all of https://www.grin-forum.org/t/scheduled-pow-upgrades-proposal
Single chips are not bad, but I thought that if you're happy with single chip ASICs you might as well use a more straightforward PoW like bitcoin's instead of a memory hard one.
With a memory hard PoW, forcing a memory IO bottleneck seemed more interesting.

Thanks for sharing info, looks like the news on voting for a hardfork has gone down well. It surprises me that this doesn't generally happen for major network upgrades with other coins tbh.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Chief_Dementor

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 08:00:05 PM

We are glad to present Grin Web Wallet!

Grin Web Wallet - Confidentially Safely Conveniently
Grin Web Wallet allows you to safely hold, easily receive and send your Grin coins from any devices that has a browser and access to the Internet.

Bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5126626.0

Telegram: https://t.me/MyGrin
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MyGrinWebWallet
Discord: https://discord.gg/6E8rZTD
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 »
  Print  

Jump to: