Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:51:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262679 times)
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 06:10:54 AM

There'll be something special in your Christmas stocking this year for all your efforts provided, of course, Rassah isn't playing Santa, whereupon hide all the stockings, if that so happens to be the case.  Wink

~Bruno~

Meh, I got my own stockings. And the rest of the sexy outfit to go with them.

Speaking of, I bought a book on Queen Anne homes for my neighbor on the left who owns a 'Painted Lady' and, on occasion, dresses as one. Luckily I caught him the day before yesterday before he left to tend a friends funeral, for he was so distraught, he almost wore the brown wooden shoes which didn't match the black dress and purse. He thanked me, went back inside, changed shoes, returned, then ask if the black shoes looked better, whereupon I replied with a yes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 06:48:39 AM

I'm hoping this helps Bitcon100 further down the road: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=37094.msg659928#msg659928

~Bruno~
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 07:30:04 AM

Please Note: Theymos was kind enough to move the thread entitled Bitcoin100 ~ Soliciting Names of Nonprofit Organizations to its proper location on this BBS. It can now be viewed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55398.0

Thank you, theymos, for rectifying my error.

~Bruno~
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 11:43:09 AM

Yay!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55481.msg660054#msg660054

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 02:34:41 PM

nice  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:16:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up, you two. I clicked the link and realized immediately what it was all about, but failed to see that a Bitcoin100 donation request was asked prior to me penning such a request, then realizing it had already been done after I conducted a second reading of the post. My Good Bad! (or is it 'My bad good!) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55481.msg660252#msg660252

~Bruno~
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:22:31 PM

Writers Note; This watered down version took longer to write than the overtly 'elegant' one did.  Tongue
                   Formatting may not be accurate as displayed here.

Rev. 2

23rd of December 2011

name
addy

Donation options should include Bitcoin as a form of donating funds to your organization

Dear Org,

We are writing to you today as a group of 100 people who humbly request that you consider accepting

Bitcoins as an option to donate funds to your cause. Our Bitcoin100 list is made up of 100 members

from a community of Bitcoin enthusiasts, developers and everyday people, just like you. We wish to

support your charity and would like to do so by giving Bitcoins. We have each pledged to donate to

[charity name] and look orward to doing so. You can read more about the Bitcoin100 and its

supporters at Bitcoin100

Bitcoins are a digital currency whose transactions are secured through computational sha-2 hashing

and are recorded and shared over a decentralized p2p network. More information about the technology

can be found at Bitcoin.org And a user friendly, getting started

guide for most typical users is located at We use Coins

As a charitable entity it is even easier to accept Bitcoins as donations. You will not have to

learn the client or other technical aspects of the technology unless you choose to. There exists a

payment processor that will take bitcoin donations, collect any desirable donor information and

deposit USD into your bank account on your behalf. This service known as bit-pay has absolutly no

fees for non-profit organizations. You can read more about the service here, Bit-Pay

Thank you very much for your consideration of accepting Bitcoins as a viable option to help fund

your cause. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me by email; [redacted] or

by phone @ [redacted]

Sincerely,
   Derek Herndon
   Bitcoin100 Pledger

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:25:26 PM

Bitcoins are a digital currency whose transactions are secured through computational sha-2 hashing
and are recorded and shared over a decentralized p2p network.
(emphasis mine)

Does the organization really care which hashing algorithm Bitcoin uses?

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:37:34 PM

(emphasis mine)

I don't see anything wrong with a little explanation of what bitcoin is about. People that understand will appreciate that line and people that don’t will ignore it.
The name of the hashing algorithm in no way "explains what Bitcoin is about", it merely adds unnecessary technical jargon.

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:42:49 PM

(emphasis mine)

I don't see anything wrong with a little explanation of what bitcoin is about. People that understand will appreciate that line and people that don’t will ignore it.
The name of the hashing algorithm in no way "explains what Bitcoin is about", it merely adds unnecessary technical jargon.

Thank you for the comment. I do see where you are coming from and can reword that sentence slightly to make it less technical.

Side note; Sha-2 is not a specific hash algorithm. It is a set of algo's that include sha-224, sha-256, sha-384 and sha-512. They were designed by the NSA and the term sha-2 is reconized in almost every sector that has any communications that connect to government agency computers. I am not sure how safe it would be to assume any amount of charities communicate in such a manner. But I always tend to assume everyone is atleast as knowledgeable as I am.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:44:51 PM

I'll see if I can do an in-depth reading of the letter tonight. For now I would suggest stating that there is 100 BTC, or that every of the 100 members has pledged 1 BTC, and how much USD that's equivalent to (or EUR depending on the charity). Looks very good overall though! Good read!

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:45:53 PM

This is very good.  I do think this part is more than they need to know, I think it is explained sufficiently in the weusecoins.com video.

and are recorded and shared over a decentralized p2p network. More information about the technology

can be found at Bitcoin.org And a user friendly, getting started

guide for most typical users is located at We use Coins

What I would like to see is "Bitcoins are a digital currency which can benefit you by .... " and add in the benefits to the charity from accepting bitcoins; ease of micro-donations, worldwide support, low fees, easy set-up, anything you can think of.  I think you covered some of it already.  Don't get me wrong, I do like it, just trying to think from the charity's point of view.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:48:37 PM

"  Bitcoins are a digital currency whose transactions are secured through computational sha-2 hashing

and are recorded and shared over a decentralized p2p network."

#changed to the following in the template;

Bitcoins are a digital currency whose transactions are recorded, shared and secured by a completely decentralized network.

They can be sent to any other user around the globe with internet access, nearly instantly and with no mandated fees.

#how about that?

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 04:50:50 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 05:24:11 PM by sadpandatech

Please don't save any criticisms. This is not my letter, it is our letter. And should be as encompassing of a generalized consensus as is possible.

edit; TY  BT and Gnar

edit; I really like the inclusion of 'benefit you by' and will reword accordingly.

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:10:39 PM

We could also beat the letter to death and not get this done for another few weeks. It's easy to be an inspector and "white glove" the work of others but it is very difficult to be the creator. I think it fine. A few tweaks of a good letter one way or another is unlikely to have a monstrous effect on how it's perceived.

ty, CornedBeef. I agree and trust that the criticisms will remain constructive, as they have. I will knock the edits out quickly here and then move on to sending something out to our first list of charities.

Cheers

- GA

mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:14:31 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 06:31:37 PM by mcorlett

We could also beat the letter to death and not get this done for another few weeks. It's easy to be an inspector and "white glove" the work of others but it is very difficult to be the creator. I think it fine. A few tweaks of a good letter one way or another is unlikely to have a monstrous effect on how it's perceived.
I disagree. Striving for perfection is what's gotten me as far as it has in my life.

Knowing when to call it quits is also another excellent trait to have, but I don't think your "if you can do it better yourself - go do it"-type attitude is appropriate in any case.

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:36:19 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 05:46:58 PM by sadpandatech

Rev. 3

23rd of December 2011

name
addy

Donation options should include Bitcoin as a form of donating funds to your organization

Dear Org,

We are writing to you today as a group of 100 people who humbly request that you consider accepting Bitcoins as an option to donate funds to your cause. Our Bitcoin100 list is made up of 100 members from a community of Bitcoin enthusiasts, developers and everyday people, just like you. We wish to support your charity and would like to do so by giving Bitcoins. We have each pledged 1 BTC to donate to [charity name] and look forward to doing so. Presently, 100 Bitcoins are worth $390 USD. You can read more about the Bitcoin100 and its supporters at Bitcoin100

Bitcoins are a digital currency whose transactions are recorded, shared and secured by a completely decentralized network. Bitcoins will benefit your organization because they can be sent to any other user around the globe with internet access, nearly instantly and with no mandated fees. More information about the technology can be found at Bitcoin.org And a user friendly, getting started guide for most typical users is located at We use Coins.

As a charitable entity it is even easier to accept Bitcoins as donations. You will not have to learn the client or other technical aspects of the technology unless you choose to. There exists a payment processor that will take your bitcoin donations, collect any desirable donor information and deposit USD into your bank account on your behalf. This service known as bit-pay has absolutely no fees for non-profit organizations. You can read more about the service at Bit-Pay. As soon as a 'Donate with Bitcoins' option can be found with your regular online donation information we pledge to send the current pool of 100 Bitcoins to the address listed there.

Thank you very much for your consideration of accepting Bitcoins as a viable option to help fund your cause. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me by email; [redacted] or by phone @ [redacted]

Sincerely,
   Derek Herndon
   Bitcoin100 Pledger

- GA

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 05:46:06 PM

You have a typo, end of first paragraph "Pressently". 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:47:22 PM

You have a typo, end of first paragraph "Pressently". 
ty, fixed. Anything else pop out at you?

- GA

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 06:00:36 PM

I'm not a part of the 100, but as an outside observer it looks good to me. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: