Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:31:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with eating meat?  (Read 30221 times)
altseeker

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:35:37 AM

What I want to know, after reading this thread, is what's *right* about eating meat?  Now we know all the problems, assuming you guys aren't all becoming vegetarians, why do you keep eating this sort of thing?

There isn't anything wrong with eating meat, it's just some people eat meat too much. The good amount of meat each day to eat is about the size of your hand. Remember too much of anything is good for nothing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sebastien1234

Activity: 654
Merit: 252

PR Director@Blockchain Foundry/Co-Founder@Syscoin

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 04:34:16 AM

What I want to know, after reading this thread, is what's *right* about eating meat?  Now we know all the problems, assuming you guys aren't all becoming vegetarians, why do you keep eating this sort of thing?

-Tastes good
-8 essential amino acids
-Beans are hard to digest

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 04:36:00 AM

-Tastes good
-8 essential amino acids
-Beans are hard to digest

You're right but you are casting pearls before swine, as it were.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
androz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Crypto-ideologist

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:28:53 AM

There isn't anything wrong with eating meat, it's just some people eat meat too much. The good amount of meat each day to eat is about the size of your hand. Remember too much of anything is good for nothing.

you are right, i eat mainly veggies for "moral" reasons (this could sounds silly for the majority of ppl, i know)

However a mediterranean diet is praised for his health benefits, so better at least reduce meat dishes.

doubledog

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:20:15 AM

well, as a vegetarian myself, i'd like to say, meat taste good~lol
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:51:05 AM

The pseudo vegetarians probably far outnumber the real ones. All the vegetarians I know eat some form of meat, or cheat sometimes. Can't really blame them though...

Hello, vegetarian refers to preference at the moment.  All animals consume some animal protein, it is impossible to avoid in this geologic era.   
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:48:22 AM

Seriously animals have no rights in this world! They are just like slaves to us, for us to kill and torture as much as we want! Who cares if they are suffering and crying and making squealing noises while bleeding all over the place?

I'm a strong supporter of animal rights and i gladly eat veggies instead of meat.

But unfortunately i read that also veggies could have rights because they could feel pain
Dr. Bill Williams, a botanist at The Helvetica Institute: "Plants are aware," says Dr. Williams, "and they feel pain!"  Lips sealed

That's bullshit. Plants don't feel pain or are aware of anything. I think this Dr Bill guy is most likely just a crackpot.
zangokoon

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 02:50:27 AM

wow , the dishes looks delicious~ i want a big meat lover~~~

r34tr783tr78

Activity: 481
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:14:38 AM

Beside the question of animals rights:

1) For thousand of years, we never had so much meat as we have now. Several studies are pointing out that eating too much meat or animal protein can be one of the sources of cancer. Our body isn't used to so much meat.

2) On the other hand, if you stop eating it, you can get serious problems for lack of vitamin B, if you don't take supplements or consume other sources of it.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 12:26:17 AM

Two words:

Human dentition.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
CoinGeneral (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:24:14 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 05:58:20 AM by CoinGeneral

4)  There's a category of bodybuilding called "natural" bodybuilding where growth hormones and steroids are prohibited.  I fall in that category, though I don't exercise nearly enough anymore to consider myself a true hobbyist.   I use a vitamin/mineral supplement and whey protein infused with creatine.  I use whey protein because I consume 1.5x-2x my weight in grams of protein daily.  I like it mixed with the creatine because, aside from being rigorously tested and studied for several decades and deemed completely safe and beneficial, it helps facilitate ATP production which gives me more energy.  It's about $1 per 240 calorie serving and takes 10 seconds to make.  Meat and vegetables vary in their cooking time depending on the dish.  Your argument about vegetables dishes being faster to make is really just a lie of omission.

4) I like how you quoted the "Natural" bodybuilding part in your sentence, because I agree, it's not natural!

Again, you justify my point that the majority of bodybuilders take supplements and drugs in order to boost their performance. You say you won't get enough nutrition as a vegan, so you eat meat AND take supplements and drugs just to be equal. Vegetarians and vegans can take supplements as well, some may choose not to, I choose not to as I am "Fully Natural" not supplemented or drugged up.

"Meat and vegetables vary in their cooking time" yes they do, but for all your meats you generally need to cut up the meat from the dead animal flesh, separate the feathers and fur from the flesh, then cook the small part of flesh that is edible. For fruits and vegetables you generally just wash and eat, most of the time you don't need to cook.

5)  If being vegan is so awesome, why did you go off talking about how far technology has come?  I thought we had things like hands to pick fruits and vegetables.  How does more advanced technology make it better to be vegan/vegetarian?

However, if you want to go there, then keep in mind that technology also allows us to create things like vitamin/mineral supplements that enable almost any person to remove entire food groups from their diet.  Vegetables are no exception to this.

5) Which is more sustainable long term? How many months or years does it take to grow an animal just to be eaten? How much time is dedicated to raising these animals, how much fecal matter is gathered from them, how much pollution do they cause? How many resources does it take to grow them? Why are fruits and vegetables cheaper than meat? Why is substitute meat cheaper than real meat yet taste better and is healthier yet most people have never tried it?

6)  I'm glad you acknowledge that at least the taste argument is your personal opinion.  I used to eat 16-24oz. of vegetables daily and hated the taste, the way they distended my stomach, and the gas and farting.  It's really inconvenient to walk around the office all day with clenched buttcheeks.  And, not eating vegetables it allowed more meat to fit in my stomach.  And damn is it tasty.  But hey, at least we'd never pick from each others plates at dinner.

6) WOW!!! 16 to 24 ounces of organic fruits and vegetables is too much man, you don't want to overdose on organic fruits and vegetables, unnatural and factory produced creatine drug supplements and bovine whey protein you can choke on, but watch out for organic fruits and vegetables that will really do some damage to your health!

This is exactly the kind of society we live in. People are so deluded and dulled up they'll fall for any wishy washy BS shoved down their throats by other "Bro Science" phd graduates saying that fruits and vegetables are bad for your health. I remember when you said Shaolin Monks were super bad ass, now you change your mind just because they're vegetarians? Sorry that being considerate and caring of other creatures on the planet is such a horrible thing.

9) As stated previously, I don't take drugs or steroids, but who are you to imply such a thing?  

You don't take drugs or steroids but you admit to taking creatine and whey protein. Look up on Google "Is creatine a drug?" then get back to me on that one. So you're saying a vegetarian or vegan diet is insufficient, so you eat meat and take unnatural supplements, drugs, and steroids just to be equal.

10) Yes, fruits and vegetables have protein, but in negligible amounts for someone with a very active lifestyle.  Fruits aren't as nutritionally useful in the Western world as they are in places where obtaining food is a daily concern.  Fructose is more readily stored as fat than other types of sugars and is therefore more useful in survival situations.  Eating a lot of fruit (and, especially, drinking fruit juice) will likely make sedentary people with poor metabolisms fatter despite the fiber content and its insulin-dampening effects.  Vegetables, on the other hand, *are* great for losing fat specifically because they boost the metabolism and dampen insulin spikes when eaten in conjunction with simple sugars.  However, unless you really want to eat cups and cups of prunes and coconuts every day, the caloric density is simply missing, especially for active people.  Furthermore, they don't contain the energy necessary to effectively repair muscle tissue after strenuous physical exertion, even in large amounts.  Insulin supports growth, and inhibiting insulin spikes (which vegetables do) means that it's not going to go very far in helping you recuperate.  In contrast, simple sugars like dextrose that are more readily used for energy and spike insulin levels are ideal for rapid recovery; also ideal for rapid recovery are large amounts of protein and amino acids.

Again, thanks for verifying the nutritional benefits of plant foods. You claim you can't live on fruits alone, I beg to differ.

Meet Harley Johnstone. A "Fruitarian" meaning he only eats fruits for the past 13 YEARS, he won first place in the 2013 Strava cycling competition of more than 46,000 competitors. In 2014 he won second place, cycling 6500 kilometers in a month on nothing but fruit. Keep in mind he competed against Tour de France Athletes and other world class level athletes in both competitions and still ended up on top.

Also I recommend watching these videos: I'm pretty sure these guys are much more fit than you are:

Click on the pictures above, they redirect you to a video of their physical prowess as VEGANS. Then get back to me on that one.

Two separate people, two separate videos, both VEGANS.

CoinGeneral (OP)

The General

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 05:38:33 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 06:08:55 AM by CoinGeneral

Two words:

Human dentition.

Agreed, not only on human dentition though, much more than that:

This is an Indo-Malay fruit bat:

Hint from the name: They only EAT FRUIT

Dietary Habits of a fruit bat from one website:

There are hundreds of known types of fruits that grow on plants and trees that the Fruit Bat is able to consume. They don’t eat all of the fruit though like so many people believe that they do. Instead, they use their teeth to crush into the fruit. Then they will consume the nectar.

Dietary Habits of a fruit bat from another website:

Dietary Habits:

Fruit bats are sometimes called flying foxes. One glance at their foxy faces will tell you why. But they don't EAT like foxes. Foxes hunt meaty meals. Not fruit bats. The furry flyers have a serious taste for fruit. Bananas, mangos, dates, avocados—just about every kind of fruit is good food for these bats.

Sometimes fruit bats eat their snacks seeds and all. Later they poop wherever they happen to be. Their poop is chock-full of seeds. Some of those seeds take root and grow to become new fruit trees.

Fruit bats also slurp a sweet liquid called nectar from fruit blossoms. What happens next makes them very important for healthy forests—and for fruit-loving humans. When fruit bats stop to eat, sticky yellow grains of pollen get caught on their fur. Some of the pollen rubs off onto other flowers that the bats visit. That's how bats pollinate flowers, which allows the trees to develop fruits and seeds. Those fruits and seeds feed animals from insects to birds to monkeys. And some of them even feed people!

Sarcasm Ahead:
I like how ROTTING FLESH and dead corpses smell really good to us. I like how we have CLAWS that can rip and tear into flesh. I like how we have NIGHT VISION at night to hunt animals. I like how our teeth can REND into flesh.
/sarcasm

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:20:58 AM

It's not about becoming a vegan, it's because you actually started paying attention to what you started eating.

If you did the EXACT same thing, and ate meat, you'd probably feel the same.

CoinGeneral (OP)

The General

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:32:54 AM

It's not about becoming a vegan, it's because you actually started paying attention to what you started eating.

Watch the video in my signature that says "The best way to prevent death." If you avoid eating meat, you will most likely end up eating healthier in the same process. The science proves it in my signature. If you ever crave meat again as a vegetarian or vegan, you will benefit yourself and the planet by eating substitute meats that not only taste better, but is also cheaper and healthier for you as well.

(Vegetarian NFL Player)

There are no sacrifices to taking meat out of your diet. Only benefits.

If you want to see some longetivity...

Fauja Singh - 101 year old vegetarian still running marathons. Most people can't even run 10 miles. This guy is running 26 no problem.

Marie-Louise-Meilleur - 117 year old vegetarian. The oldest person in the world before she died.

Christian Mortensen - 115 year old male at time of death. First male CONFIRMED to reach 115, oldest man to ever to die at one point.

Long Name - 122 year old vegetarian. Unconfirmed if that was his true age and his true diet. He died around 1910s so he could have been lying.

-----------

There are some others of course, these just came up in a random Google search, like I said watch some videos, educate your mind, then decide. Don't let society brainwash you.

bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:47:26 AM

Watch the video in my signature that says "The best way to prevent death." If you avoid eating meat, you will most likely end up eating healthier in the same process. The science proves it in my signature. If you ever crave meat again as a vegetarian or vegan, you will benefit yourself and the planet by eating substitute meats that not only taste better, but is also cheaper and healthier for you as well.

(Vegetarian NFL Player)

There are no sacrifices to taking meat out of your diet. Only benefits.

If you want to see some longetivity...

Fauja Singh - 101 year old vegetarian still running marathons. Most people can't even run 10 miles. This guy is running 26 no problem.

Marie-Louise-Meilleur - 117 year old vegetarian. The oldest person in the world before she died.

Christian Mortensen - 115 year old male at time of death. First male CONFIRMED to reach 115, oldest man to ever to die at one point.

Long Name - 122 year old vegetarian. Unconfirmed if that was his true age and his true diet. He died around 1910s so he could have been lying.

-----------

There are some others of course, these just came up in a random Google search, like I said watch some videos, educate your mind, then decide. Don't let society brainwash you.

No thanks. I prefer to eat things like:

master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 06:16:07 PM

I noticed the beyond spicy vegan buffalo bites in the picture are $10.99 per pound. What a ripoff! I can buy a whole cooked chicken here for $6.00. And you said the vegan diet is cheaper  Roll Eyes

Why are they trying so hard to make their vegan dishes look like meat? They'll never have quite the same texture and flavor anyhow. That fruitarian guy is probably lying or is heavily supplementing his diet. Fruits generally aren't a good source of protein or fat.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:36:11 PM

I noticed the beyond spicy vegan buffalo bites in the picture are $10.99 per pound. What a ripoff! I can buy a whole cooked chicken here for $6.00. And you said the vegan diet is cheaper  Roll Eyes

Why are they trying so hard to make their vegan dishes look like meat? They'll never have quite the same texture and flavor anyhow. That fruitarian guy is probably lying or is heavily supplementing his diet. Fruits generally aren't a good source of protein or fat.

Plus all the chemicals they put in the vegan dishesto look like meat and teast like it....they have to cheat that teaste somehow .....

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:14:14 PM

Wow, I always loved meat in my life I still do.
The sweet piece of meat with dinner I dont know how you could do without it.

I do feel pain in my lower belly, and I already visited the doctor and nothing came out of that.
So maybe i should try to live on a veggy diet, and look how I feel after like a month.
Because I always eat alot of meat everyday, and maybe I feel bad because of that.

They are pumping meat full with stuff nowadays anyway, here in The Netherlands the chicken doesnt even have white meat in the middle anymore it's dirty brown and the bone doesnt look good.
When I was on vacation on Aruba the chicken was good again, also the meat overthere was so much tastier en nicer then here in Holland.
Here they just want to make as much money as possible without thinking about the health of the people at all!
Hazir
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005

★Nitrogensports.eu★

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:05:04 PM

Humans are fairly opportunistic omnivores. Evolution has provided us with teeth that eat meat as well as vegetables. We are quite well equipped to be superior generalists with our physical capabilities. Meat is a superior source of protein that humans have evolved to consume.

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄          
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █              
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER  
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
m2asia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

meat, rules. Thats all, imho.  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: