Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:23:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 [709] 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669111 times)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1107

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

Seems like the general consensus by the people who are way smarter then I is that XMR is dead and the code is flawed.  

Wouldn't that imply that everyone in the world believes XMR is dead and the code is flawed? Tongue

Clearly that isn't the case.  Cheesy
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:35:15 PM

Seems like the general consensus by the people who are way smarter then I is that XMR is dead and the code is flawed.  

Wow, if those are the people smarter than you, I shudder to think of the genetic train-wrecks you might look down upon.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:40:40 PM

What do you personally think are the chances of a coin killer attack? And second, did you sell a percentage of your stash?

I am quite an insider in the situation, since I belong to the remedy team, and have communicated with all the main actors. I cannot evaluate the tech, but I know the turns of the events.

I currently give a 92-96% chance that Cryptonote will live to see the next month Smiley

As a result, I believe that currently the market is too bearish.

Are you joking us? You know full well cryptonotes are dead and a thing of the past, just like myspace. You coming here and giving your opinion that there is a 92-96% that cryptonotes will live on is pure bullshit and a clear attempt to salvage any value that your bagholding self now needs to sell off.

You're just trying to buy time to get out on everyone else... Some of these people may actually believe you but those are the sheep.

Stop lying you sack of shit and admit you fucked up! XMR is dead!

Why don’t we just wait until after the cards fall to pass judgement.

What?? Why wait? Seems like the general consensus by the people who are way smarter then I is that XMR is dead and the code is flawed.  It's like buying a new car and finding out its a lemon. Its never gonna be good again. It will be problems after problems. There's no "fixing" this code. It was flawed from the start anyway as cryptonotes already had the major issue of blockchain bloat.

My question is how long till you realize what coin out there has the answer to true anon without all the bloat.

Ok ill entertain you. What is this alternative that satisfies both the unlinkability and untracability requirements? I dont have time to read into all of the altcoins out there but of what i have read all of the other supposed "anonymous" coins either just just coinjoin, which is a wholly unsatisfactory "solution" or they leave all of their activity plain as day for anyone to analyze on the blockchain but call it "anonymous" because they run network traffic through tor. Show me something that isnt described by either of these criticism and i will be interested.

Hey bud, TBH. I'm not a tech guy. I'm a numbers guy. I do have a tech adviser though who I employ to keep me up to date on the tech workings of the crazy crypto world I live in. The coin you should be looking at is Stealthcoin- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681725.0

Here is a link to the rough draft WP for StealthText- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681725.msg8559128#msg8559128

Here is a link to the worlds first truly anonymous SMS transaction in Iran. - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b3_1410143623

Here is a cool video one of the community members made for the coin.. Its just for a good laugh.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUN4K72cv10&feature=youtu.be

The dev Hondo is a genius who has been given glowing reviews from both CryptoAsian and Dan Metcalf who both went above and beyond to stress the fact that Hondo is indeed a genius.

Check out the links and if you have any questions about the tech stop on by and ask. Most of the core community know way more about the tech then I do.

Hope this information helps a bit.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:45:46 PM

Wow, if those are the people smarter than you, I shudder to think of the genetic train-wrecks you might look down upon.

Its ok bud, keep bagholding your XMR. In the mean time my train-wreck of a team and I will continue to bank BTC daily.

krawallmining

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:50:16 PM

Its ok bud, keep bagholding your XMR. In the mean time my train-wreck of a team and I will continue to bank BTC daily.
Of course you are honest businessman, aren't you?  Cheesy
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:53:05 PM

What do you personally think are the chances of a coin killer attack? And second, did you sell a percentage of your stash?

I am quite an insider in the situation, since I belong to the remedy team, and have communicated with all the main actors. I cannot evaluate the tech, but I know the turns of the events.

I currently give a 92-96% chance that Cryptonote will live to see the next month Smiley

As a result, I believe that currently the market is too bearish.

Are you joking us? You know full well cryptonotes are dead and a thing of the past, just like myspace. You coming here and giving your opinion that there is a 92-96% that cryptonotes will live on is pure bullshit and a clear attempt to salvage any value that your bagholding self now needs to sell off.

You're just trying to buy time to get out on everyone else... Some of these people may actually believe you but those are the sheep.

Stop lying you sack of shit and admit you fucked up! XMR is dead!

Why don’t we just wait until after the cards fall to pass judgement.

What?? Why wait? Seems like the general consensus by the people who are way smarter then I is that XMR is dead and the code is flawed.  It's like buying a new car and finding out its a lemon. Its never gonna be good again. It will be problems after problems. There's no "fixing" this code. It was flawed from the start anyway as cryptonotes already had the major issue of blockchain bloat.

My question is how long till you realize what coin out there has the answer to true anon without all the bloat.

Ok ill entertain you. What is this alternative that satisfies both the unlinkability and untracability requirements? I dont have time to read into all of the altcoins out there but of what i have read all of the other supposed "anonymous" coins either just just coinjoin, which is a wholly unsatisfactory "solution" or they leave all of their activity plain as day for anyone to analyze on the blockchain but call it "anonymous" because they run network traffic through tor. Show me something that isnt described by either of these criticism and i will be interested.

Hey bud, TBH. I'm not a tech guy. I'm a numbers guy. I do have a tech adviser though who I employ to keep me up to date on the tech workings of the crazy crypto world I live in. The coin you should be looking at is Stealthcoin- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681725.0

Here is a link to the rough draft WP for StealthText- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681725.msg8559128#msg8559128

Here is a link to the worlds first truly anonymous SMS transaction in Iran. - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b3_1410143623

Here is a cool video one of the community members made for the coin.. Its just for a good laugh.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUN4K72cv10&feature=youtu.be

The dev Hondo is a genius who has been given glowing reviews from both CryptoAsian and Dan Metcalf who both went above and beyond to stress the fact that Hondo is indeed a genius.

Check out the links and if you have any questions about the tech stop on by and ask. Most of the core community know way more about the tech then I do.

Hope this information helps a bit.

Judging from the rough draft WP, I think this applies to stealthcoin: "they leave all of their activity plain as day for anyone to analyze on the blockchain but call it "anonymous" because they run network traffic through tor" ...  Roll Eyes
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 01:56:25 PM

You clearly have not read the WP then. Show me how you want to track the coins through an sms!
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 01:58:24 PM

Hey bud, TBH. I'm not a tech guy. I'm a numbers guy. I do have a tech adviser though who I employ to keep me up to date on the tech workings of the crazy crypto world I live in.

What are his credentials, cryptographically speaking? Has he published anything cryptographically relevant that we can read? I mean, since he's advising you on cryptocurrencies I would imagine it's a prerequisite for him to have an extremely strong crypto background.

bitcad4u

Activity: 602
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:01:15 PM

what you say to this?

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/507427225927708672

things seem bad for XMR right now - ring signatures are dead Chandran Signatures are the way of the future - get out while you can.  XST > XMR
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:01:18 PM

Hey bud, TBH. I'm not a tech guy. I'm a numbers guy. I do have a tech adviser though who I employ to keep me up to date on the tech workings of the crazy crypto world I live in.

What are his credentials, cryptographically speaking? Has he published anything cryptographically relevant that we can read? I mean, since he's advising you on cryptocurrencies I would imagine it's a prerequisite for him to have an extremely strong crypto background.

All I can say is hes a respected member of this community who you all look up to.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:03:10 PM

Let's just ignore the more obvious trolls, like bobsurplus. Their content-free posts speak for themselves, in my opinion. There's no need to defend Monero against their empty "objections".

Okay, guys and girls.

If you are like me (the nasty investor/speculator type, who never bothered to get into mining :D), but you feel maybe now would be a good time to add that extra bit of hashing power to secure the Monero network (or at least make an attack slightly more expensive), then maybe this step-by-step guide to set up XMR mining via Amazon cloud computing might be interesting for you as well.

Re-posted with friendly permission of the guide's author, jwinterm:

(Requires Amazon EC2 account, hooked up to a credit card. Registration is easy, btw.)

So here goes (assuming you have your ec2 account all set up):
1) Click on EC2, and then click on Spot Requests under Instances on left sidebar.
2) Click Request Spot Instances blue button near top, and then click Community AMIs and search for XMRminer. Select XMRminer2.
3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like $0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).
4) Click Review and Launch and then click Launch. At this point you need to setup your ssh keys. I did this a while ago, so I don't remember exact details, but it should be pretty straightforward. Let me know if you have issues.
5) Make yourself a cup of tea and wait 30-120 seconds while your instance is prepared.
6) You'll need to ssh into your instance. On Linux you just put your ssh keys in ~/.ssh and set permissions for 400 (I think), and if you ssh from that folder, that's all you need to do. I think on Windows, using Putty, you need to maybe convert the key to putty's format using an extra putty tool. Let me know if you need additional help with this.
7) Click on Instances in the left sidebar, and you should see a g2.2xlarge instance with green circle that says running. Click that and then click Connect at the top, and it should give you your IP address to connect to with some instructions.
8) On Linux your ssh command should look like:
Code:
ssh -i aws1.pem ubuntu@54.191.192.111
Use ubuntu as user not root.
9) Maybe it's more like 180-300 seconds. Drink some tea while waiting.
10) When it prompts you to permanently add key, click "yes".
11) Now, you need to edit cpustart.sh and gpustart.sh in your home directory using either vi or nano, unless you want to mine to my XMR address ;) It looks like if you want to mine directly to exchange, just replace my XMR address in both files with YourExchangeXMRAddress.YourExchangePaymentID.
12) You need to run two commands, one to make gpuminer work, and other to make cpuminer much faster:
Code:
sudo ldconfig /usr/local/cuda-5.5/lib64
sudo sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=24
13) I just made another script called start.sh to launch both miners at once, and it seems to work. So do:
Code:
touch start.sh
then vi or nano start.sh and add:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
screen /home/ubuntu/cpustart.sh
screen /home/ubuntu/gpustart.sh
then:
Code:
chmod 755 start.sh
and then launch with:
Code:
sudo screen ./start.sh
You need the screen so that when you disconnect your ssh session, the miners keep mining.

That's it. You can disconnect and both miners should be hashing away. You can ssh back in and run
Code:
ps -A
and you should see minerd and ccminer listed in the processes somewhere near the bottom.

If you want to launch a shitload of instances, then obviously you want to automate this process and not do it manually every time. In this case, you need to make sure you edit the files so that they have your XMR address and not mine, and create the start.sh script in home directory, then edit the rc.local file by doing:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
and add the following lines:
Code:
ldconfig /usr/local/cuda-5.5/lib64
sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=24
screen /home/ubuntu/start.sh
This way, as soon as the instance boots up, it should autolaunch the miners. I haven't tried this final automation part (as I don't normally launch a shitload of instances), but I think this should work, and I'm gonna verify it now.

Now, go back to your EC2 console, right-click on the g2.2xlarge instance in your Instances window, and select Create Image. This will sever your connection and cause a reboot, but you will now have your own image/AMI that you can launch 10s or 100s or 1000s of, just by entering however many instances you want when filling out your spot request form.

I just tried the rc.local thing, and it seems to auto-launch ccminer and minerd :)

If you feel like leaving a tip for jwinterm, those are his addresses:

BTC:
Code:
1Gy2BQKMVjvWdRnG3Ktwm2cXdEyL8ZdqvE

XMR:
Code:
49jkaP1xDZrEYaWxtoToPzitbQh6Z7Vv8c3MwtP49wsZhJUR5VojrxcKgb76zT8XRU5AAWHVptx4RgxgLb5fX7iM2vBSKXA

(ask him for confirmation that those are his addresses, if you want to be sure)

Hope the above is useful, at least for some of you. I know it was for me :)

Oda

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:04:13 PM

You clearly have not read the WP then. Show me how you want to track the coins through an sms!
ROTFL. That seems like an extremely convoluted system to send a transaction via SMS. Once it gets to your computer it will be decrypted or whatever and sent to the network, where everyone can plainly see your transaction. Then it's called anonymous still because your computer is using TOR. Ridiculous.  Cheesy
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:05:07 PM

https://ssd.eff.org/wire/protect/sms - "Avoid SMS Text Messages If You Can", a guide from the EFF that you really should read

Also, the mechanism may be obfuscated, but the transaction is still on the blockchain. In the example, if I know Carol's XST address I can see who paid her. One of those payments will be from Bob, and I can discover who he is through multiple means (rubberhose cryptanalysis, he put his address on a forum once, etc. etc.)

Obscuring the transaction broadcast really isn't a necessary component, as even with Bitcoin transactions are relayed, and thus the IP address attached to a transaction is merely the IP address of the node that first relayed it. This system provides no improvement over Bitcoin's pseudonymous transaction relay system.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:05:41 PM

ROTFL. That seems like an extremely convoluted system to send a transaction via SMS. Once it gets to your computer it will be decrypted or whatever and sent to the network, where everyone can plainly see your transaction. Then it's called anonymous still because your computer is using TOR. Ridiculous.  Cheesy

So crack the code big talker.. I'll put up a 1 btc bounty if you can crack the code the Dan Metclaf vetted.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:06:16 PM

what you say to this?

things seem bad for XMR right now - ring signatures are dead Chandran Signatures are the way of the future - get out while you can.  XST > XMR

That's from weeks ago.

Also, Chandran signatures *ARE* ring signatures.

bitcad4u

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

Any cryptonote is not a good investment regardless - for FUTURE real world applications the Block Chain bloat itself by DESIGN is a big Warning sign for me.   Think if the XMR network ever hit BTC volume transactions... the network would fucking grind and the size of the block chain is going to be enormous.  

So you got Bad Code.  Bad Design for future applications and a possible exploit coming if not patched.

Here you can see from the DEV himself that there are "PLAUSIBLE"  attack vectors - wonder if this is how its going to end for cryptonote.
http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/MRL-0001.pdf

not trying to FUD here.. but please be aware if the codes written like shit, what else might be shit.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:07:58 PM

All I can say is hes a respected member of this community who you all look up to.

I doubt that very much. The respected members of this community who we all look up to are known cryptographers and experts such as gmaxwell, andytoshi, wumpus, gavinandresen, and so on.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 02:10:47 PM

Any cryptonote is not a good investment regardless - for FUTURE real world applications the Block Chain bloat itself by DESIGN is a big Warning sign for me.   Think if the XMR network ever hit BTC volume transactions... the network would fucking grind and the size of the block chain is going to be enormous.  

So you got Bad Code.  Bad Design for future applications and a possible exploit coming if not patched.

Here you can see from the DEV himself that there are "PLAUSIBLE"  attack vectors - wonder if this is how its going to end for cryptonote.
http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/MRL-0001.pdf

not trying to FUD here.. but please be aware if the codes written like shit, what else might be shit.

You're being obtuse - that publication presents an edge case that is not going to happen any time soon, and presents a fix for it.

The reference code is not "written like shit". There are parts that are obfuscated, and parts where the design decisions are not clear because the code is not commented. That does not mean it's terrible and must be thrown away, it means that the code should be incrementally refactored and documented.

Please go back to your thread if you have nothing useful or correct to say.

bitcad4u

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:10:52 PM

what you say to this?

That's from weeks ago.

Also, Chandran signatures *ARE* ring signatures.

They are - my bad - they are also a more efficient type to reduce the bloat by 1/4 of the size.  Its a more efficient way of handling the signatures for real world use at and on a high volume transaction network, which is what you would want for a coin to succeed.   Cryptonote will never be able to achieve this.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 02:12:23 PM

Of course you are honest businessman, aren't you?  Cheesy
He is just a stealth man

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Pages: « 1 ... 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 [709] 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: