Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:13:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 [720] 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667424 times)
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:46:09 PM

Hi,

For those people who like to kill two birds with one stone (looking at you David  Wink ) I have created an AMI that launches GPU and CPU miner automatically, on cryptonotepool.or.uk for the Dev Fund Address.

You missed the "g', it's cryptonotepool.org.uk
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thinkpad99

Activity: 654
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 10:52:55 PM

good coin...to the moon
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:49:04 PM

good coin...to the moon

hmm.. guess we'll see in the next 24 hours or so.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Coolstoryteller

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:17:10 AM

I disagree with the self moderated thread.  Several other coins are specifically NOT open to negative discussions and become a blind group circlejerk.

While I have no fear of that happening to XMR (at least to the extent I've seen in other places) I feel leaving the main chat thread unmoderated speaks volumes about it's legitimacy.

In online forums, there are little ways to differentiate legitimate speaking from malicious. Established members recognize each other (reputation) but occasional lurkers do not have this guide. It is easy to affect the quality of discussion, and even the perception of community opinion, by cheap methods that are difficult to thwart. This is why they are so commonly used.

There is, for example, no realistic reason for any actual cryptoperson to hate let's say Monero. Yet by reading the forums, there is a perception that there is a large anti-Monero crowd there. In actuality there is not. The number of Monero users is over 10,000 and they are happy with their using. A small number of accounts is spreading their negative view.

This could be mitigated by making the posting costly, by instituting a minimum reputation threshold, by making a per-post fee, by making it needed to show that the poster actually has Moneros if he is going to talk about it, etc. These measures have not been implemented. The only way to deal with trolls is deleting their posts, which angers them, or ignoring them, which leaves the main problem - affecting the perception of the lurkers - uncured.

We in the Monero community have not yet reached the consensus on how to tackle this angle of attack. Some members have hinted that dedicated forums are coming. This is definitely a good development. The "insiders" of the coin need discussion channels where there is no interference. Yet, the importance of Bitcoin Forum > Other > Alternate cryptocurrencies is really big and there are no plans to leave it.

There has been talk about Monero having more than its fair share of threads and activity in this forum. Now that is complete bullshit. The Alternate cryptocurrencies main (without even the [ANN] and others) has 31,440 threads total, of which the 20 or so Monero threads that are started by Monero supporters are hardly an excessive percentage. That many of the Monero threads are in the first page, speaks about the vitality of the community. Monero is a new coin, and ranks about TOP-5 in $ value of emission per day and trade volume. Also it is very easy to not see Monero-related stuff - just not click those threads!

We believe this multi-pronged attack has gone a little too far now, and there might be retaliation coming.

+1

Either way the thread is moderated either by bitcointalk staff or by someone within the coin's community. Scumbag traders resort to cross coin promotion and fudpacking to promote their own loaded investments. The only way to mitigate their assault is by shifting to a self moderated thread or an independent forum. I know at least one person working on a new altcoin forum where Monero actually has it's own section http://cryptotrust.io/.

I'm a big fan of all privacy focused coins that have real development behind them and Monero is definitely among them. Starting off with a new source is going to come with some uphill battles as the code isn't as battle tested as bitcoin or its forks; However, the amount of work going into the codebase to make it maintainable shouldn't be an invite for shitbag traders to troll developers work. The end goal here is financial privacy, which is an idea that most of us believe will someday be a reality. One way to help speed this up is gathering all the major coins together and moving to a proper forum that promotes altcoin growth and development over shitcoin pump and dump groups.

"Buy, sell, trade, chat. Leave nothing but a Shadow." - www.shadow.cash
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:17:29 AM

It's too quiet here today.
bobabouey2

Activity: 248

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:38:43 AM

Hi,

For those people who like to kill two birds with one stone (looking at you David  Wink ) I have created an AMI that launches GPU and CPU miner automatically, on cryptonotepool.or.uk for the Dev Fund Address.

The name is XMRminerToDevFund which gives about 550 h/s total.

oregon - ami-15185b25
tokyo - ami-c5c3edc4
singapore - ami-0cb0945e
sydney - ami-b781e28d
ireland - ami-2abe185d
N. Virginia - ami-a477dccc
N. California - ami-250f0760

You basicaly follow jwinterm instructions bellow and stop at number four.

This is a detailed guide to setup cloud miners (cpu+gpu) on Amazon EC2. I put together this guide for user oda.krell, who was kind enough to give me a very nice tip for it, so thanks should also go to oda.krell.

OK,
So here goes (assuming you have your ec2 account all set up and linked to credit card, which you can do here: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ ):
1) Click on EC2, and then click on Spot Requests under Instances on left sidebar.
2) Click Request Spot Instances blue button near top, and then click Community AMIs and search for XMRminer. Select XMRminer2.
3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like $0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).
4) Click Review and Launch and then click Launch.

(.....)

If you would like to send me some coins for tip, here is btc:
Code:
1Gy2BQKMVjvWdRnG3Ktwm2cXdEyL8ZdqvE
and xmr addresses:
Code:
49jkaP1xDZrEYaWxtoToPzitbQh6Z7Vv8c3MwtP49wsZhJUR5VojrxcKgb76zT8XRU5AAWHVptx4RgxgLb5fX7iM2vBSKXA

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. And if you want to repost anywhere, I don't mind. Good luck Smiley

Its also possible to select other types of instances but performance may take a hit because its configured to 8 cores.

(Any trusted member wants to vouch for this?)

I'll be copying the AMI to various locations and posting here the ami reference as soon I have the time.

I tried this, and it has been saying "pending evaluation for over an hour.  Maybe because this is my first time setting up an EC2 instance?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:47:10 AM

MEW - Monero Economy Workgroup communication

This has been a busy day. The taskforce of crypto_zoidberg, AnonyMint, jl777 and some Monero developers and MEW members has diligently worked on the code and is implementing fixes to possible exploits that might give the attacker the upper hand. The code is evaluated so that we can say with certainty that no coinkiller exploit can be used against us, and this makes me thankful for the original coders of CryptoNote. It is too often forgotten that without this unique technology there would be no Monero that has taken the torch, determined to carry it beyond the current limits of cryptoworld.

Although I cannot personally evaluate all the work that has been done, I would like to thank everybody who have been working on the issue. There are many unique contributions that together make sure that we are able to withstand the attack. I feel that the situation is similar to the attack that we had to thwart only two weeks ago, as we now again stand united.

The MEW will be officially inaugurated tomorrow with 18 members. We will open the membership as soon as possible for everyone who is interested in contributing to Monero's success. The minimum membership fee will be set to 10 XMR to ensure that everybody has an opportunity to join. Our organization is minimal because the activities will be carried out by members themselves, in groups of their choosing. David Latapie serves as Members Executive, I have been selected to be the Operational Executive, and NewLiberty will be our Judge. For practical matters, you will have to contact David, and he will tell when we are ready to take new members.

The attack has served in tightening our ranks and we are now in front of several fundamental decisions. These will be discussed and voted upon by the community in MEW. In a way I even feel grateful that this opportunity to make things straight has fallen upon us. We now have more confidence on the code, and on the developers. The community is unified and I have been inundated with PM's offering help and support. From the quantity of troll posts one would believe that there is some general animosity towards Monero, but the PM's alone speak volumes about the support.

In the end, a coin's value is upheld by people who trust it and decide to own it. The people who do not trust it and do now own it, also do not have a say concerning the value. Monero will be developed for its users, not for the ones who do not use it. I believe the strengthening of the code and the community is very positive for Monero's future.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:56:39 AM

I tried this, and it has been saying "pending evaluation for over an hour.  Maybe because this is my first time setting up an EC2 instance?

You may have set your spot price bid too low. If you click on the spot request, you should see the reason it's not fulfilled down at the bottom of the screen. Try to make your bid a half or full cent above the current spot price and see if that gets it going.
ray88

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:05:18 AM

What kind of fix was done ? the code is not yet updated right?

This has been a busy day. The taskforce of crypto_zoidberg, AnonyMint, jl777 and some Monero developers and MEW members has diligently worked on the code and is implementing fixes to possible exploits that might give the attacker the upper hand. The code is evaluated so that we can say with certainty that no coinkiller exploit can be used against us, and this makes me thankful for the original coders of CryptoNote. It is too often forgotten that without this unique technology there would be no Monero that has taken the torch, determined to carry it beyond the current limits of cryptoworld.

Although I cannot personally evaluate all the work that has been done, I would like to thank everybody who have been working on the issue. There are many unique contributions that together make sure that we are able to withstand the attack. I feel that the situation is similar to the attack that we had to thwart only two weeks ago, as we now again stand united.

The MEW will be officially inaugurated tomorrow with 18 members. We will open the membership as soon as possible for everyone who is interested in contributing to Monero's success. The minimum membership fee will be set to 10 XMR to ensure that everybody has an opportunity to join. Our organization is minimal because the activities will be carried out by members themselves, in groups of their choosing. David Latapie serves as Members Executive, I have been selected to be the Operational Executive, and NewLiberty will be our Judge. For practical matters, you will have to contact David, and he will tell when we are ready to take new members.

The attack has served in tightening our ranks and we are now in front of several fundamental decisions. These will be discussed and voted upon by the community in MEW. In a way I even feel grateful that this opportunity to make things straight has fallen upon us. We now have more confidence on the code, and on the developers. The community is unified and I have been inundated with PM's offering help and support. From the quantity of troll posts one would believe that there is some general animosity towards Monero, but the PM's alone speak volumes about the support.

In the end, a coin's value is upheld by people who trust it and decide to own it. The people who do not trust it and do now own it, also do not have a say concerning the value. Monero will be developed for its users, not for the ones who do not use it. I believe the strengthening of the code and the community is very positive for Monero's future.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:24:37 AM

Thanks for the update Risto! In a way these attacks are proving to be a blessing in disquise..Hoping for the best outcome!

bobabouey2

Activity: 248

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:31:13 AM

You may have set your spot price bid too low. If you click on the spot request, you should see the reason it's not fulfilled down at the bottom of the screen. Try to make your bid a half or full cent above the current spot price and see if that gets it going.

I actually made that mistake the first time, second time, I set it at $.10.  It stayed as "pending evaluation" for about 2 hours, and then strangely showed as "instance terminated by user."  Which is strange, since the one I terminated since the fee was too low was marked as "canceled before fulfillment."

Trying it again, will let you know if anything different happens.
bitcad4u

Activity: 602
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:34:29 AM

so there is / was a confirmed flaws / possible exploits ?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:37:00 AM

-nonsensical garbage-

It's time you fucked off, Robert.

LMAO... This is the internet. It's my right to be here, "saving others from investing in you, your team and xmr!"

You think because a bunch of you guys are hero or legend members that I'ma sit back and keep quiet? Fuck that. I'll call you guys out just like I called out PG and his bigot rants and the same way I called out CAVIRTEX, or vrc or drk or cloak. If I see something that's a miss and can potentially hurt others I make the decision to speak my mind.

So get used to seeing me here for a while, well... a day and a bit. Then I suppose this coin will be locked on all the exchanges and I'll just be sitting back with my popcorn watching all you guys freak the fuck out!

Funny you show up when price is rising again. What's the matter, didn't finish buying?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:44:00 AM

But if you look closely at my history of calling coins dead or dying you'll see I was always spot on. No misscalls in my history. Not yet anyway!

Your history of calling coins superior is failure after failure. Maybe this time it will be different, who knows? We'll see maybe in two months when/if Stealthcoin has anon.

WORD, If I listened to him, I'd be broke ten times over. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:59:14 AM

so there is / was a confirmed flaws / possible exploits ?

Nope, just threats.

I like this buy. Smiley

0.00301337   10000.1337   30.13410289

drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:00:57 AM

And where is the apology for being a dick towards zoidberg and James all along? Not only personally but spreading your venom to other delusional slaves in the management chain? Nice press release, my compliments for the wonderful use of snake oil.

Am I spamming? Report me!
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1967

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:06:32 AM

big news -  Poloniex is getting dossed by someone claiming to be BCX who got banned and claimed he would attack them!! da fuq!!??\

edit - sorry they are back right now. we'll see.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
DeepCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:11:39 AM

big news -  Poloniex is getting dossed by someone claiming to be BCX who got banned and claimed he would attack them!! da fuq!!??\

BitcoinEXpress: starting 3 mins
rocco: BitcoinEXpress, aight
twotimer: BitcoinEXpress, good luck wid dat
maqa71: WTF
CTTE: BitcoinEXpress, so, you're attacking polo?
BitcoinEXpress: just testing for the monent
BitcoinEXpress: 2 mins
twotimer: he's a trolll... good luck DB
BitcoinEXpress: will be down 5 mins
CTTE: someone has a "god " complex
twotimer: LMFAO
twotimer: LOSER ALERT
rocco: people will post this chat in the forum, an then, rocco the mofo is famous
checkpoints13: oldmankidd is here?
cashtronx: god is in here
rocco: BitcoinEXpress, do not steal our xmr homie or we might come and get you
twotimer: god is everywhere.
twotimer: .. not.
cashtronx: why be a king/queen when you can be a god/goddess
twotimer: bcx is a mega fail. watch and see.
CTTE: I said god with a lower case "g"
cryptocurrent: at least we will know the truth about this nonsense soon enough
OldManKidd: BitcoinEXpress, you are threatening to attack poloniex?
maqa71: looks like
checkpoints13: OldManKidd, yes
twotimer: i'm pretty sure he did yes indeed.
Banhammer: BitcoinEXpress banned for 100 hr 0 min by OldManKidd.
pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:12:25 AM

No he got them  Grin

pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:15:56 AM

XMR Bahholders

Pages: « 1 ... 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 [720] 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: