Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:12:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box  (Read 186878 times)
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 11:19:49 PM

I had a rattling bottom fan and a USB socket miss-aligned with the case so the USB cable did not go in Smiley

But it's all part of the experience, if you got it and plugged it in, and all worked then there would not be a story to tell.

Also I'd rather them ship as they did and I fix it myself, then have them do it right but delay the shipping by a few days.
Yep and Ghash is the new drug on the scene and BFL is the dealer. We put up with being treated like shit because once we get that needle in, it's so hard to pull it out. Just like a real drug dealer, they don't give a fuck, if you're the proud owner of a Single or a Rig they know you'll be back because this shit sells itself baby. Scratching arm, waiting for ASIC...  Tongue  (Quite the business model IMO)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 07:27:42 AM

Quite an addiction we have

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:48:02 AM

Thanks for clearing that up! One last question, is EasyMiner supposed to support mining, as the radio buttons for that are greyed out...

We're working on that part as we speak.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
Sigh - wasted effort for a company that never seems to have time to fix anything.
It will only ever be a 2nd class miner compared to .... others ....

Why not do something useful like:
1) make a better bitstream that doesn't use polling
2) make a bitstream that allows changing the clock
3) Did the 792 bitstream ever get fixed?
4) Make a faster bitstream again for people who are running fine on the fastest one
5) Fix the MiniRig nonce range ............

Creating a miner that can handle 8TH of processing power without being hit by network
latency is a tough task. Also, we'll be releasing a couple of new firmwares this weekend.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
So that weekend is over.
In fact twice that time has now passed if we allowed for a last minute, 11th hour release, at the end of the weekend.

Are these new bitstreams due soon?

I hope this isn't setting some sort of precedent of either
1) Support of non-ASIC has been effectively dumped - bad luck for BFL FPGA ... and those still waiting on BFL FPGA delivery ...
2) Like ALL previous BFL deadlines, this one was meaningless ... and the ASIC dates are similarly meaningless.

Oh hang on, 2) wouldn't be a new precedent ...

A VERY reasonable request:
since BFL have already stated that they are literally killing the BFL FPGA's in about 3 months so that they are no more than a half price trade in on ASIC (and when ASIC is released, using a BFL FPGA will be pointless - like CPU mining is now)
Can you now please release the details of AT LEAST how to upload bitstreams to the device?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:29:42 AM

Is their new SC Jalapeno really 3.5GH/s and only cost $149? Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like? Does it look a little like their older model? I also see they have an 8 pack upgrade for $599. I don't understand that because if you were to buy 8 Jalapeno's you would pay over $1100. How can it be only $599? Makes me excited to see 3.5GH/s for that price. And I thought 832MH/s was good for $600. Yikes!

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:32:18 AM

Is their new SC Jalapeno really 3.5GH/s and only cost $149? Does anyone have a picture of what it looks like? Does it look a little like their older model? I also see they have an 8 pack upgrade for $599. I don't understand that because if you were to buy 8 Jalapeno's you would pay over $1100. How can it be only $599? Makes me excited to see 3.5GH/s for that price. And I thought 832MH/s was good for $600. Yikes!

Their 8 pack upgrade is if you plan on trading in a Current Gen FPGA Single + 600 for 8 ASIC SC Jalapenos. It's not actually 8x3.5GH/s for $600.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:32:27 AM

When EVERYONE has 3.5GH/s, it won't mean as much.  You can draw direct apples to apples comparisons.  3.5GH/s isn't the same as 3.5GH/s in 6 months from now.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 01:36:00 AM

When EVERYONE has 3.5GH/s, it won't mean as much.  You can draw direct apples to apples comparisons.  3.5GH/s isn't the same as 3.5GH/s in 6 months from now.

True. Makes sense.

Would be more profitable to get the SC, which would be 40GH/s. I'm curious about what it looks like. They also only take wire transfer or BTC. I'll have to figure out the easiest/quickest way to upload some BTC to my wallet as I don't really have much in there now. I guess BFL will just give me their BTC address. Money, money, money. Smiley

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:44:18 AM

True. Makes sense.

Would be more profitable to get the SC, which would be 40GH/s. I'm curious about what it looks like. They also only take wire transfer or BTC. I'll have to figure out the easiest/quickest way to upload some BTC to my wallet as I don't really have much in there now. I guess BFL will just give me their BTC address. Money, money, money. Smiley

You can use Dwolla with mtgox or campbx, but those can take some time. The quickest way? Trade BTC for a MoneyPak cark with someone here on the forums. I bought like 300USD worth of BTC in like 2 hours.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 11:47:53 PM

Is there any risk to having a device sit on a cooler? While my room isn't very warm, the cooler is very cool and seems like it'd be a nice place for the single to sit. Could this hurt it at all?

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 12:55:10 AM

Is there any risk to having a device sit on a cooler? While my room isn't very warm, the cooler is very cool and seems like it'd be a nice place for the single to sit. Could this hurt it at all?
What sort of cooler, do you mean a small air conditioning unit or something? I can't imagine that cold temps would cause any issues, and BFL has said that you could potentially get better performance from a cooler unit.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:03:43 AM

What sort of cooler, do you mean a small air conditioning unit or something? I can't imagine that cold temps would cause any issues, and BFL has said that you could potentially get better performance from a cooler unit.

Uhh basically it would be on top of a vent for a house cooling system.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:17:17 AM

Just keep an eye out for condensation,that would be bad,hmm-kay Smiley

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:02:30 AM

Do you ever see condensation on the outside of a cup of hot coffee? What about on the outside of a glass of ice cold soda? Please, get your physics straight.

There is absolutely no danger of condensation in this situation. It would actually cause the opposite.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 08:53:51 AM

Do you ever see condensation on the outside of a cup of hot coffee? What about on the outside of a glass of ice cold soda? Please, get your physics straight.

There is absolutely no danger of condensation in this situation. It would actually cause the opposite.

You ever see a vent sweat??? Due to leaks where the can meets the ceiling?? Very cold air meets hot air or something very warm.Get a job in the A/C field................................................. Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:04:18 AM

You ever see a vent sweat??? Due to leaks where the can meets the ceiling?? Very cold air meets hot air or something very warm.Get a job in the A/C field................................................. Roll Eyes

Yes. I have seen it.

The A/C vent in my storage room:

Any time the dew point / weather conditions are right for rain, air conditioning makes the vent quite wet.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:34:25 AM

If anyone is interested is selling their mini rig position -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92917.0
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 09:17:49 PM

Yes. I have seen it.

The A/C vent in my storage room:

Any time the dew point / weather conditions are right for rain, air conditioning makes the vent quite wet.

Thank you,just makin sure I got my physics straight. Grin

Acejam

Activity: 124
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 08:15:55 PM

Question:

If I buy an SC single - will I need a computer to hook it up to for mining? I understand that one might be needed to re-flash firmware and such - but what about for everyday mining? I assume it doesn't have an ethernet port - so I'm not sure how it would download block data without an PC.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 09:06:42 PM

If I buy an SC single - will I need a computer to hook it up to for mining? I understand that one might be needed to re-flash firmware and such - but what about for everyday mining? I assume it doesn't have an ethernet port - so I'm not sure how it would download block data without an PC.

Short answer: yes, a computer is required.

The SC Single works the same way as BFL's current Single. That is, you need a host PC running mining software (Windows, Linux, Mac). The PC provides work to the Single and processes the results coming back. The SC Single, like the current Single, does not have an ethernet port; it communicates to the PC via USB (the appropriate cable is provided, BTW).
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 11:09:06 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 11:39:05 PM by kano

Thanks for clearing that up! One last question, is EasyMiner supposed to support mining, as the radio buttons for that are greyed out...

We're working on that part as we speak.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
Sigh - wasted effort for a company that never seems to have time to fix anything.
It will only ever be a 2nd class miner compared to .... others ....

Why not do something useful like:
1) make a better bitstream that doesn't use polling
2) make a bitstream that allows changing the clock
3) Did the 792 bitstream ever get fixed?
4) Make a faster bitstream again for people who are running fine on the fastest one
5) Fix the MiniRig nonce range ............

Creating a miner that can handle 8TH of processing power without being hit by network
latency is a tough task. Also, we'll be releasing a couple of new firmwares this weekend.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
So that weekend is over.
In fact twice that time has now passed if we allowed for a last minute, 11th hour release, at the end of the weekend.

Are these new bitstreams due soon?

I hope this isn't setting some sort of precedent of either
1) Support of non-ASIC has been effectively dumped - bad luck for BFL FPGA ... and those still waiting on BFL FPGA delivery ...
2) Like ALL previous BFL deadlines, this one was meaningless ... and the ASIC dates are similarly meaningless.

Oh hang on, 2) wouldn't be a new precedent ...

A VERY reasonable request:
since BFL have already stated that they are literally killing the BFL FPGA's in about 3 months so that they are no more than a half price trade in on ASIC (and when ASIC is released, using a BFL FPGA will be pointless - like CPU mining is now)
Can you now please release the details of AT LEAST how to upload bitstreams to the device?
... still no sign of these bitstreams/firmwares/whatever ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: