Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:16:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box  (Read 186878 times)
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 09:22:32 PM

This talk has me a tad concerned since the heatpipe design will be on the mini-rig.  Hoping they have put some of the lessons learned to practice with this...

Lord knows it isn't short on fans!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 09:25:42 PM

Mine run at 50-58C. One seems to remain 3-4C hotter than the other. Can't tell you ambient, no idea. I guess 20-24C.
That's encouraging. Are yours the single-fan or the dual-fan version of the Rev3?

Single fan:

JWU42:
I understand the Mini-rig will use updated/next-gen chips and will run cooler and faster.
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 09:42:57 PM

Can anyone report how hot (as reported by cgminer) their Rev3 units run? Curious to see how they compare to the Rev2 units.

About 63 to 64 degrees C. But that's in a 90+ degrees Fahrenheit room, i.e. my $215 p.M. mining office.
In fact, the [Nvidia] graphics card of the Toshiba laptop that runs CGMINER and the ZTEX miner seems to be on the fritz due to the heat and I just ordered a 17" HP laptop as a replacement - it's on sale for $699 today.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Andrey

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 10:07:22 PM

I can pay $680 for ugly but working Single shipped my way, just in case someone wants to get rid of too many fans.

abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 10:29:14 PM

An additional fan will also had a couple watts to the power consumption of the device...
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 10:56:54 PM

To jddebug, gigavps, sgtspike and others who don't care about 1 fan or 2 fans: I'm glad that's working out for you. It means you'll be happy no matter what shows up in the BFL USPS box.

For others, who cannot hide these things in a basement or closet or datacenter, the difference between 1 or 2 fans is more important. In fact, even the CHOICE of fans is important. There was a post earlier about someone trying to set a Single up in their bedroom. It doesn't matter why: Maybe they have no room elsewhere; maybe that's where their only computer is. The point is that a stock Single, with its dual 43 CFM 2100RPM 27dbA fans, is TOO LOUD for a bedroom in which you are trying to sleep. Perhaps it is even too loud for a living room you use to entertain guests, or a study in which you are trying to ... gasp ... study.

So if a Single arrives with just 1 fan, it's going to be significantly quieter than the 2-fan version (or the dreaded 3-fan version). In my personal case, I've put Singles into a basement office. They are the 2-fan style, and I found them to be disturbingly loud. Much louder than the SLI gaming PC I have in the same room. My solution was to replace the stock fans with quieter ones. Now, even with all other equipment turned off in that room, the Singles can barely be heard. Paradise.

So for me (and perhaps for others), the amount of noise coming from the Singles is very important. Yes, I care that they mine away relentlessly and reliably and that will always be the #1 priority. But I demand they do it with the least amount of disturbance as possible. And I'm happy with the balance I've been able to achieve.

If I had a datacenter next door, an empty garage, or unused basement I wouldn't care what fans they used or how many fans they had or how much noise they made ... because I wouldn't have to deal with that. But when they are in my face, in the same room, and I'm trying to think, they need to be quiet.

So, yes, 1 fan or 2 makes a big difference to me. But I fully understand and respect jjdebug, gigavps, and sgtspike when they say they don't really care.

People are very different.

I am living in a room with 8 * 5870s humming along 24/7. In this room I study and also sleep.

When I study I have to use big noise insulating headphones.

I sleep about 1 meter from the 8 cards and I sleep ever so good without any problems. Hopefully I won't go deaf or suffer any ill effects from the EM radiation.

The only problem is when you hear somebody talking ... that's when I can't sleep Wink

For BFL, the more fans the better and the less chance of throttling down due to overheating !
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:29:52 PM

Can anyone report how hot (as reported by cgminer) their Rev3 units run? Curious to see how they compare to the Rev2 units.

About 63 to 64 degrees C. But that's in a 90+ degrees Fahrenheit room, i.e. my $215 p.M. mining office.
In fact, the [Nvidia] graphics card of the Toshiba laptop that runs CGMINER and the ZTEX miner seems to be on the fritz due to the heat and I just ordered a 17" HP laptop as a replacement - it's on sale for $699 today.
How the heck do you live in there without getting heatstroke? Huh

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:30:59 PM

Wasn't there a post going around of a college kid who suffered brain damage due to all his mining GPUs in his cramped dorm room? Be careful, you should probably just send all those GPUs to me.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 11:33:46 PM

Wasn't there a post going around of a college kid who suffered brain damage due to all his mining GPUs in his cramped dorm room? Be careful, you should probably just send all those GPUs to me.

Not if you leave the windows open all the time Cheesy and pray that no rat gets in or something Grin
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:21:44 AM

I don't "live" there - that's an office I rent (utilities included) in an office building for $215, and when I work there for more than 20 minutes, I take off my shirt and work in my undershirt, like a redneck.  Grin
I had an office even before I started mining, and got into Bitcoin mining less than a year ago as an afterthought, as a way for the office to pay its own rent.

Does that make sense, so far?

But now I've been infected by the Bitcoin fever and am trying to get a cash flow in the low-to-mid 4 figures going, with a Largecoin miner on order, a mini-rig box on order and 12 Singles on order, 4 of which have been delivered so far.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:29:22 AM

I don't "live" there - that's an office I rent (utilities included) in an office building for $215, and when I work there for more than 20 minutes, I take off my shirt and work in my undershirt, like a redneck.  Grin
I had an office even before I started mining, and got into Bitcoin mining less than a year ago as an afterthought, as a way for the office to pay its own rent.

But now I've been infected by the Bitcoin fever and am trying to get a cash flow in the low-to-mid 4 figures going, with a Largecoin miner on order, a mini-rig box on order and 12 Singles on order, 4 of which have been delivered so far.
Utilities included, eh?  Hmmmm....  I might have to search for something similar in my area!
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:34:57 AM

Utilities included, eh?  Hmmmm....  I might have to search for something similar in my area!

Be careful though. Sometimes, if the landlord traces it back to you, they might have the right to terminate your lease with very little warning.
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:39:30 AM

Be careful though. Sometimes, if the landlord traces it back to you, they might have the right to terminate your lease with very little warning.

Which actually did happen to me in Palo Alto half a year ago, and this fact (and the unbearable heat) is the reason why I'm gradually shifting over to ASICs/FPGAs.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:41:53 AM

Well, I'd certainly talk to the landlord about my plans with the place beforehand!  I would hope that Inspector has done the same.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 12:55:10 AM

Which actually did happen to me in Palo Alto half a year ago, and this fact (and the unbearable heat) is the reason why I'm gradually shifting over to ASICs/FPGAs.
That ASIC shift must be VERY gradual Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:35:28 AM

Well, I'd certainly talk to the landlord about my plans with the place beforehand!  I would hope that Inspector has done the same.

About your plans to draw 4000 W out of two circuits (left wall 20A breaker, right wall 20A breaker), as I did in Palo Alto?
Do you seriously think the landlord would approve of that?
When you're driving home from a party, where you've had a couple of beers, and you see a police car parked at the curb, do you really stop your vehicle, walk up to the officer and say, "Excuse me, sir, I've had a few drinks, would you please be so nice and give me a breathalyzer test, so that I'm officially cleared to drive home?"
Or would you rather make sure you're not speeding, then grip the steering wheel tightly and drive by?

As for the office, I go by what's in the lease contract.
If it says "utilities included": Fine with me.
Due to the Obama economy, there are still lots of office vacancies. If a landlord kicks me out, I'm certain there are other landlords who are more than happy to rent an office to me.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:54:16 AM

Well, when I started ordering my BFL Singles, the order page said "delivery in 4 to 6 weeks"...  Wink
So, if the shift is very gradual (and it is), that's 100% BFL's fault.

At least the product is well-engineered - CGMINER reads 64-64 degrees Celsius from the 1-fan Single and 59-60 degrees Celsius from the 2-fan Single. Neither has a blinking front LED.

Tomorrow I will hook up a third one, and take one GPU down in exchange.
On Friday I will hook up the fourth one, and take a whole GPU rig down.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:15:13 AM

Due to the Obama economy, there are still lots of office vacancies.
Yeah I'm sure if McCain won there wouldn't be a vacancy for miles.  You betcha.

I'm not even saying that - all I'm saying is, come this election, Mr. O. can no longer blame Mr. B. for the
state of the economy - after [almost] 4 years, he owns it now. No ifs and buts.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:21:52 AM

Well, when I started ordering my BFL Singles, the order page said "delivery in 4 to 6 weeks"...  Wink

At least the product is well-engineered - CGMINER reads 64-64 degrees Celsius from the 1-fan Single and 59-60 degrees Celsius from the 2-fan Single. Neither has a blinking front LED.

I was referring to the term "ASIC" - nothing is even available in that area yet ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 02:26:15 AM

I was referring to the term "ASIC" - nothing is even available in that area yet ...

The Largecoin box must be ASIC-based, at their performance per Watt. It cannot be FPGA-based.
And yes, I have ordered one.
I am hedging my bets and have also ordered a BFL mini rig box, although its power draw is an order of magnitude higher.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: