Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:15:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs  (Read 93656 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:29:51 PM

This looks great. I just ordered two copies.
I've never used bit-pay.com before, but I have a few problems:

First order was payed using the Schildbach wallet, and it deducted the bitcoins, but bit-pay still timed out. Realizing that if I get four copies instead of two that's fine, so I went ahead and ordered two more and using bitcoin spinner this time, the payment cleared and I got the confirmation email, but my address in the confirmation does not include the country (Denmark). Is this normal?

Looking foreward to my two (four) copies, and best of luck with future issues.

Thank you for bringing this issue up. I will forward this for you to Stephen@bit-pay.com. We have absolutely no control over issues that arise with Bit-pay and they seem to be working very quickly to fix any problems we're having so I suggest everyone just e-mail Stephen directly at that e-mail address the next time there is an issue.

Thanks guys.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:33:21 PM

Look at all these unanswered posts. That's what I get for going to sleep once in a while.

First, I need to answer a serious issue in the community--- privacy.

SgtSpike is right. We could easily be a scam trying to get mailing addresses and real names of bitcoiners. And even if we're not, the security of that confidential data is extremely important is it not? Now rather than put all this on my shoulders at this moment (usually Vladimir handles our security) I will say that if you are ordering through e-Mail, your e-mail is only seen by myself, Mihai Alisie, and Google documents servers. If you are ordering through Bit-pay, it is only seen by me and Tony of Bit-pay. That should be enough but I understand if a security and anonymity conscious community requires more from me. I am absolutely all ears on this one. Any advice?

Bbit (although surely jesting) is wrong. I am not going anywhere. I enjoy trolling low standards far too much to ever leave the world of Bitcoin. I also have shared my personal, banking, address, etc information with 50+ individuals in our organization, the Digital Commerce Advancement Organization (http://dcao.org). So if I ever did something stupid, Vladimir Marchenko, Ken Armitt, Zhou Tong, Arthur Britto, Roger Ver, Stefan Thomas, Charlie Shrem, Jay Shore, Erik Vorhees, Mihai Alisie, Nuri hodges, Slush, Steven Wagner, 40+ others would not only know where I live, but they'd know exactly how to hurt me the most.

And finally, Holliday and others have brought up a good point about the bitcoins paid to us. Our printing fees are in USD, not BTC. We WILL transfer the bitcoins out to USD as soon as we receive them. Anyone who has run a magazine before will understand this without explanation. This is also why our fees are denoted in USD and not BTC.

We're really excited to provide this magazine to the public and I personally won't be getting any rest until it's done.

P.S. As a troll, I understand the dangers of letting a forum thread go without the OP constantly nurturing it. I'll be here to answer any questions, openly, honestly and transparently, even if I need to use style="opacity:0.4;".

Thanks!
I caught a contradiction!  He MUST be a scamzor!!

I wasn't even thinking about the gathering addresses and names of Bitcoiners... was more thinking about just gathering the Bitcoins themselves, from the ad purchases and prepurchases of the magazines.  But yes, I guess if you were a scammer, you could kill two birds with one stone on that one!  Get lots of BTC, plus names and addresses besides!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving my copy.  You said it ships on Feb 1st, so we could be expecting it Feb 2nd through... Feb 9th for US customers?
cyberlync

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:33:53 PM

Ordered the first issue. When I selected my country from the list and pressed the save changes, it reverted to USA, what I did was I wrote the country in the Region box, selected my country from the dropdown, saved, selected from the dropdown again, and then ordered. Hopefully that will work.

Giving away your BTC's? Send 'em here: 1F7XgercyaXeDHiuq31YzrVK5YAhbDkJhf
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:34:42 PM

Ordered the first issue. When I selected my country from the list and pressed the save changes, it reverted to USA, what I did was I wrote the country in the Region box, selected my country from the dropdown, saved, selected from the dropdown again, and then ordered. Hopefully that will work.

Yea, that seems simple enough.  Roll Eyes @ Bit-pay

phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:37:36 PM

Has anyone uploaded the digital copy to a Torrent site yet?   Grin  Grin
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:42:33 PM

And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:45:11 PM

You said it ships on Feb 1st, so we could be expecting it Feb 2nd through... Feb 9th for US customers?

This one is scheduled for February release.

That's all I've said so far. I would never hammer it to an exact day. I learned by lesson with the BitTalk.TV Christmas Special.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:48:51 PM

Has anyone uploaded the digital copy to a Torrent site yet?   Grin  Grin
And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

I don't represent everyone at the magazine or BitTalk Media with the following comment, so take this with a grain of salt.

I personally think that if we have a magazine that is easily stealable, then it deserves to be stolen. We're not going to be giving out a pdf file for example.

On another note, I believe in the power of community. The only people ripping this magazine off would be those with absolutely no money and no thought of supporting the magazine- in which case they have their reasons and I appreciate that.

There is a dangerous line between print and digital though, and I want to make sure that the actions of digital release never complicate the print release. I have no problem with giving the digital away for absolutely free-- it's the fact that we'd have no revenue to print the physical issues that would be the problem.

Whatever we decide, everyone will find out at the same time as we're planning on Android, iPhone and general Web releases as well. I am also very open to suggestions for how to handle it (please, nothing like "Pay with a Tweet") and still keep the magazine alive.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:51:57 PM

You said it ships on Feb 1st, so we could be expecting it Feb 2nd through... Feb 9th for US customers?

This one is scheduled for February release.

That's all I've said so far. I would never hammer it to an exact day. I learned by lesson with the BitTalk.TV Christmas Special.
Ah, my bad.  Well, I look forward to getting it sometime in February or March then.  :p

And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

I don't represent everyone at the magazine or BitTalk Media with the following comment, so take this with a grain of salt.

I personally think that if we have a magazine that is easily stealable, then it deserves to be stolen. We're not going to be giving out a pdf file for example.

On another note, I believe in the power of community. The only people ripping this magazine off would be those with absolutely no money and no thought of supporting the magazine- in which case they have their reasons and I appreciate that.

There is a dangerous line between print and digital though, and I want to make sure that the actions of digital release never complicate the print release. I have no problem with giving the digital away for absolutely free-- it's the fact that we'd have no revenue to print the physical issues that would be the problem.

Whatever we decide, everyone will find out at the same time as we're planning on Android, iPhone and general Web releases as well. I am also very open to suggestions for how to handle it (please, nothing like "Pay with a Tweet") and still keep the magazine alive.
Makes sense, thanks for the response.
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:53:04 PM

And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

Very professionally spoken.
+1

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
gutschilla

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:33:40 PM

OK cool. I ordered one. And hey: It's been cheaper in bitcoins  Grin
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:37:20 PM

OK cool. I ordered one. And hey: It's been cheaper in bitcoins  Grin
Ahaha yeah, for now Tongue

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 10:40:39 PM

This looks great. I just ordered two copies.
I've never used bit-pay.com before, but I have a few problems:

First order was payed using the Schildbach wallet, and it deducted the bitcoins, but bit-pay still timed out. Realizing that if I get four copies instead of two that's fine, so I went ahead and ordered two more and using bitcoin spinner this time, the payment cleared and I got the confirmation email, but my address in the confirmation does not include the country (Denmark). Is this normal?

Looking foreward to my two (four) copies, and best of luck with future issues.

Thank you for bringing this issue up. I will forward this for you to Stephen@bit-pay.com. We have absolutely no control over issues that arise with Bit-pay and they seem to be working very quickly to fix any problems we're having so I suggest everyone just e-mail Stephen directly at that e-mail address the next time there is an issue.

Thanks guys.
We have corrected the bug that caused the country information to get dropped.  For those that have already ordered, you can either send an email to support@bit-pay.com with your invoice URL and your country, or we'll contact you (if we cannot determine your country ourselves).

As for the issue with Schildbach wallet, that's a wallet I'm not familiar with.  We have to put a deadline on the payments because either we need to sell those bitcoins for our merchants, or the merchants themselves need to sell bitcoins.  And as everyone is aware, the bitcoin price can be volatile at times.  Some wallets won't deliver transactions to the network unless it's fully caught up with the block chain.  Some of the online wallets (and exchange accounts) also can have delays in sending a transaction.  I'll look into Schildbach wallet and see whether that might be the case.  Note, Bitcoin Spinner seems to be very good about prompt delivery of transactions.

Edit: Just realized Schildbach wallet is "The Bitcoin Wallet" on Android.  That is a full client (downloads block chain) if I'm not mistaken.  I'm not that familiar with it, but it's likely that it works like the main bitcoin client in that it won't send out a transaction unless it is caught up on the block chain.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:41:53 PM

We have corrected the bug that caused the country information to get dropped.  For those that have already ordered, you can either send an email to support@bit-pay.com with your invoice URL and your country, or we'll contact you (if we cannot determine your country ourselves).

Thanks Steven! Appreciate following up!

chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:48:31 PM

As for the issue with Schildbach wallet, that's a wallet I'm not familiar with.

That's the Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach, one of the more popular Android wallets. It uses BitcoinJ and as far as I know, does not require you to be caught up with the block chain (nor received transactions to be confirmed?) in order to spend.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:54:15 PM

Here is my question: If I purchase the print plus digital edition in what format will the digital edition be? If it is a .pdf file, that is not infected with DRM, which I can read with the operating system and software of my choosing  now and in the future then I am interested. On the other hand if I have to license specific propriety software and / or hardware from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc in order to be able to read it for a limited time, because of some DRM scheme that will in any case be broken within months if it has not already being broken than I am not.

As far as I am concerned DRM is a deal breaker on any digital product regardless of the currency used to pay for it. Yes it will be pirated with and without DRM, but that will not prevent the Magazine for being successful.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:00:25 PM

Yes it will be pirated with and without DRM, but that will not prevent the Magazine for being successful.

That to me smells of speculation. If it were even remotely true, people wouldn't be using DRM in the first place.

On the other hand if I have to license specific propriety software and / or hardware from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc in order to be able to read it for a limited time, [...] than I am not.

We won't have a time limit. You bought what you bought. It's yours. Time limits used to be used as a way to help differ hosting costs, but when the file is a download to your mobile phone for example, why would we care?

The whole plan is not crystal clear yet to me either as I am rather new to this. I will tell you that we are planning for:

• iTunes newsstand
  • Android
  • Kindle
  • BitcoinMagazine.net direct view

I haven't checked yet, but I have reason to believe none of those purchasing mediums would give you a timeline, and even if they did (like what, a whole year?) we would just give it to you again for free on request.

If that's not good enough, then we're arguing about free vs paid and we go back to my original statement that we simply haven't figured it out yet. We need to gauge interest, pay for printing+shipping, then we can see about making things better for everyone involved.

I really appreciate your passion and if you have any suggestions, I am more than willing to play Devil's Advocate.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:27:30 PM

I have been involved with a lot of clubs.  We try to raise money in different ways.  Car wash, door-to-door selling stuff, donations, etc.  However, there is one really effective way to raise money that is easy and effective.  The successful clubs I join run a raffle at each meeting and people can buy raffle tickets.  The prizes are donated or bought.  The revenue generated from the tickets funds the club.

So, if there was someway for you to run a raffle for prizes maybe you can use the money to fund the magazine, which will be for a good cause for bitcoiners.
gurg2.o

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:31:23 PM

I have been involved with a lot of clubs.  We try to raise money in different ways.  Car wash, door-to-door selling stuff, donations, etc.  However, there is one really effective way to raise money that is easy and effective.  The successful clubs I join run a raffle at each meeting and people can buy raffle tickets.  The prizes are donated or bought.  The revenue generated from the tickets funds the club.

So, if there was someway for you to run a raffle for prizes maybe you can use the money to fund the magazine, which will be for a good cause for bitcoiners.

Yeah a raffle would be good with free issues and bit coin prizes, I think in magazine offers would be great too though
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 11:34:57 PM

Yes it will be pirated with and without DRM, but that will not prevent the Magazine for being successful.

That to me smells of speculation. If it were even remotely true, people wouldn't be using DRM in the first place.

DRM prevents people who don't know what they're doing from copying a "protected" work. It doesn't stop people who know what they're doing, or people who don't know what they're doing form getting it from those that do.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#Impossible_task

(read from Impossible Task on into Shortcomings)

I'm not aware of a single type of DRM that has not been broken. That of Blu-ray discs took a very long time, but it was supposed to be unbreakable.

P.S. I ordered a 12 month digital + analog subscription. I really hope you reconsider treating your customers like criminals, and give us the digital content in format that we can use on all of our devices. I think that the digital edition is offered so cheaply is going to get anyone who is going to pay for it to pay for it. Anyone else who gets a copy without paying isn't going to pay you no matter what. So what if they read your content? Maybe they'll like it enough to pay.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: