Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs  (Read 93656 times)
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 04:12:32 AM

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 04:46:14 AM

So anything going on with the magazine? 

I was checking out some of the layout earlier, its looking quite badass. He hired a pro to put everything together

Was their a point you were trying to make? Usually thats what meme's are for.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 04:55:31 AM

Yep. Standards are a bitch. No matter how pretty you make something, if it's a hair out of line or one pixel off it'll look like dog crap in print so I opted for two professionals to do my job instead. The flatplan was done days ago (as I had mentioned) but the designer is not exclusive to our magazine so there is a slight timing issue when bringing him on board.

To be more specific, I'm no longer layout designer or editor in Chief and starting April 2012 issue, Vitalik Buterin will be Editor in Chief. I will remain Director of Operations and continue to push everyone else down stairs like I usually do, I just think there are better ways to spend my time and talents than moving images around, staring at flatplans and spell checking. Right now that's in making sure the magazine actually succeeds.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 04:59:16 AM

I was walking by a B & N today and was thinking of how much I am looking forward to picking up a physician copy!

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 05:02:22 AM

I just think there are better ways to spend my time and talents than moving images around, staring at flatplans and spell checking. Right now that's in making sure the magazine actually succeeds.

This is the right way to go.  The whole community needs a successful magazine.  I am happy to help out any way I can.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:11:29 AM

I was walking by a B & N today and was thinking of how much I am looking forward to picking up a physician copy!
Which reminds me... I know you guys are putting out an ad-free copy for certain organizations, but would y'all consider an ad-only magazine some time later? Just load it up with full-page ads. Maybe only send it to people who opt-in? Love reading through those U-LINE catalogs. (only half-joking)
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:16:35 AM

So anything going on with the magazine? 

I was checking out some of the layout earlier, its looking quite badass. He hired a pro to put everything together

Was their a point you were trying to make? Usually thats what meme's are for.

It was in regards to PGs comment above mine.
 Ass.

www.bitminter.com

!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 05:37:54 AM

It was in regards to PGs comment above mine.
 Ass.

LOL for someone who's posting meme's, you sure take things personally.

Relax dude, just having fun.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 05:42:58 AM

Nah. Had a cranky baby to contend to. Sorry was so terse with you!

www.bitminter.com

!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 05:58:33 AM

Which reminds me... I know you guys are putting out an ad-free copy for certain organizations, but would y'all consider an ad-only magazine some time later? Just load it up with full-page ads. Maybe only send it to people who opt-in? Love reading through those U-LINE catalogs. (only half-joking)

I'm about to share with you one of my ideas I've had on the back burner.

Your suggestion can easily be model after this magazine of which I subscribe to: http://www.sampler.com/ In last month's issue, some of my 200-year-old reclaimed barn wood was displayed as finished kitchen cabinets. The magazine is primarily ads from vendors, with only a couple stories centered around homes that incorporate a country decor.

My idea consist of a hodgepodge of a myriad products offered by vendors that accept Bitcoin. There are no prices in the magazine (just like Country Sampler)--only a description and name of the company that offers it (along with their URL). The online version can have a little more latitude. Bitcoin related services can be the feature articles, with other Bitcoin service ads strategically placed throughout. In the back of the magazine, is the complete list of products and services.

Take a look at the link I provided to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

And why the hell am I presenting this idea on Matthew's thread? I'm still bent out of shape like a bent tube over him taking my Twunker idea and re-branding it. But I guess I'll let him have this idea, since he's back from vacation. It'll be a perfect fit for Bitcoin Magazine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that it's not uncommon to have two magazines under one plastic wrap.

~Bruno~
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 11:38:49 AM

I'm about to share with you one of my ideas I've had on the back burner.

Your suggestion can easily be model after this magazine of which I subscribe to: http://www.sampler.com/ In last month's issue, some of my 200-year-old reclaimed barn wood was displayed as finished kitchen cabinets. The magazine is primarily ads from vendors, with only a couple stories centered around homes that incorporate a country decor.

My idea consist of a hodgepodge of a myriad products offered by vendors that accept Bitcoin. There are no prices in the magazine (just like Country Sampler)--only a description and name of the company that offers it (along with their URL). The online version can have a little more latitude. Bitcoin related services can be the feature articles, with other Bitcoin service ads strategically placed throughout. In the back of the magazine, is the complete list of products and services.

Take a look at the link I provided to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

And why the hell am I presenting this idea on Matthew's thread? I'm still bent out of shape like a bent tube over him taking my Twunker idea and re-branding it. But I guess I'll let him have this idea, since he's back from vacation. It'll be a perfect fit for Bitcoin Magazine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that it's not uncommon to have two magazines under one plastic wrap.

~Bruno~

In all seriousness, it will help people sort out the ads for whether they want to read them or the alternative of tossing them in the trash.

Either way, I think it's a decent idea, because sometimes people will be more willing to look at ads when it is presented to them in such a fashion that they are "expecting" the ads to be inside the pages.

People get ads all the time, and this could work.

It will also help those of us trying to get businesses to accept bitcoin.  We could offer to get them listed in the next advertising on bitcoin magazine if they start to accept bitcoin.

Again, more free advertising to promote bitcoin!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 11:45:00 AM

UPDATE: Initial design is complete, but I made some changes to the flatplan again for effeciency and presentation so it will be redesigned again until Monday at which time we will all take one more look at it, replace any photos that are not appropriate and then approve it for print.

This will all be simpler from Issue #2 people. The first issue is always the hardest they say.

@Bruno: We've actually thought of doing something like that, but right now the costs of printing anything other than -just the magazine- don't make sense. Everything that costs money has to first have a significant demand. Let's toss these ideas around for a bit and see what we can't do for Issue #2 (which by the way, I have more good surprises for everyone in store  Cheesy)

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 12:09:29 PM

Can't wait to get the first issue at my doorstep.

Still on track for a 2,000 print run?  I want to know how many copies there will be so I have an idea how valuable my mint condition first-run first issue will be 10 years from now Grin

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:49:57 PM

I want to know how many copies there will be so I have an idea how valuable my mint condition first-run first issue will be 10 years from now Grin

Probably WAY less than the ~1BTC you paid for it  Grin
(I pre-ordered one too btw)
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 04:28:09 PM

Looks fucking cool!

Here's some feedback on my first impression:

* The type on the front page is hard to read in some places, maybe if you used a stroke on that?
* I'd find it cool if the base color changed from issue to issue (I'm not too fond of baby blue)

keep it up!

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:41:12 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2012, 09:00:47 PM by Kluge

Is it done, yet? I forgot to change my address on other magazine subscriptions and am too cheap to pay the USPS $1 "for verification purposes" to forward my mail. All I have to do while defecating is reading the ingredients of Febreeze ("fragrance," water, "deodorizer," "natural propellant" -- what a useful list) and raging against deodorant manufacturers for putting QR codes on the container. I'm going mad, man!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:50:00 PM

Is it done, yet? I forgot to forward my other magazine subscriptions and am too cheap to pay the USPS $1 "for verification purposes" to forward my mail. All I have to do while defecating is reading the ingredients of Febreeze ("fragrance," water, "deodorizer," "natural propellant" -- what a useful list) and raging against deodorant manufacturers for putting QR codes on the container. I'm going mad, man!

rofl. Relax. It IS done in the sense that we have everything we need in order, but let me just say that people are now on their tippytoes when it comes to releasing this thing with anything but a squeaky clean image. I'm disappointed in a few things and going back and changing them, we're taking turns ganging up on the image/text work for quality control. We can only have a first issue once, and I'm sure we'll fuck it up in one minuscule way or another, but I want to minimize it as much as possible.

Tell Adam Harding (email) your new address.

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 08:56:12 PM

Is it done, yet? I forgot to forward my other magazine subscriptions and am too cheap to pay the USPS $1 "for verification purposes" to forward my mail. All I have to do while defecating is reading the ingredients of Febreeze ("fragrance," water, "deodorizer," "natural propellant" -- what a useful list) and raging against deodorant manufacturers for putting QR codes on the container. I'm going mad, man!

Haha I always do this. Just because I'm not eating it doesn't mean they shouldn't have to tell people whats in it, what the hell. They market that stuff to just spray around your house too. I eventually had to stop using them so I could Breath Happy .

We need this magazine, now all I have is a toothpaste box to look at.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 09:07:57 PM

Haha I always do this. Just because I'm not eating it doesn't mean they shouldn't have to tell people whats in it, what the hell. They market that stuff to just spray around your house too. I eventually had to stop using them so I could Breath Happy .

We need this magazine, now all I have is a toothpaste box to look at.

Shit. When you put it that way, I might be inclined to leak another page or two.

EightBit

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 04:01:57 AM

I bought a 12 issue subscription a few days ago.  Looking forward to receiving the first issue!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: