Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:40:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs  (Read 93656 times)
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 11:56:54 PM

This is also the second thing I have bought with coins. First was a Nerd Merit Badge.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 01:04:48 AM

I'll take a case Cheesy

Aww, it won't scan the QR code Tongue

Too bad it takes 23 seconds per side of each mint to engrave and isn't practical as a product.

I was pleasantly surprised that the laser beam turns the clear plastic a deep copper color - which is highly unusual.  I was expecting a light melt or a white frost.

These mints are Trader Joe's Green Tea mints.  And I can't scan the QR code off the real mints either, it just doesn't work that well I guess.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1651
Merit: 1264

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:09:19 AM

I'll take a case Cheesy

Too bad it takes 23 seconds per side of each mint to engrave and isn't practical as a product.

I was pleasantly surprised that the laser beam turns the clear plastic a deep copper color - which is highly unusual.  I was expecting a light melt or a white frost.

These mints are Trader Joe's Green Tea mints.  And I can't scan the QR code off the real mints either, it just doesn't work that well I guess.

I thought that was a photoshop. You actually made these. lol Smiley

Edible bitcoins... imagine if you really put a private key in those mints with 0.1 btc. That means by eating one, you are removing 0.1 btc from circulation for ever.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:20:09 AM

I'll take a case Cheesy

I thought that was a photoshop. You actually made these. lol Smiley

Edible bitcoins... imagine if you really put a private key in those mints with 0.1 btc. That means by eating one, you are removing 0.1 btc from circulation for ever.
People would troll with videos of them eating handfuls of them, and watching the Bitcoin poor weep in despair in the comments.

Also, this thread is now wildly off-topic.  We should bring it back on topic.
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:25:20 AM

Casascius should release a line of peppermint shaped like his physical bitcoins.

He would call them: "Minted bitcoins".

(Fake edit: Bonus points if they contain working holograms)

0.1 calorie & 0.1 btc per mint

BTW, I heard there was inside cover space on the bitcoin magazine - considering coming up with something to put there.  Still available?  Don't know where I read it.

Incredible! Regardless of whether they scan and can actually be loaded, I would buy some!  How much for one container?
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:25:39 AM

I'll take a case Cheesy

To put QR codes on the mints, you should focus the beam in as sharp a spot as possible, and then just burn every black QR pixel. This should work far better than trying to burn squares.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 01:41:28 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2012, 01:57:10 AM by casascius

To put QR codes on the mints, you should focus the beam in as sharp a spot as possible, and then just burn every black QR pixel. This should work far better than trying to burn squares.

Candy usually doesn't turn black when you laser it, it just vaporizes and melts and turns shiny, caramelizing a little, sort of like overheating sugar.  Can't burn black into a mint.  The laser point is actually very fine - about 1/1200 of an inch - but the only way to mark candy visibly is to crank up the power to the point it melts pits into the candy far deeper than 1/1200.

Also, we don't even have Trader Joe's here in Utah.  Apparently they won't open up shop here because they don't like the restrictive liquor laws (or so it's been said).  The mints were a gift from someone in Nevada, so I don't even have an easy supply of these particular nicely laserable mint boxes, assuming I was willing to spend half an hour per box of mints to engrave them one at a time.  (Too bad no BiddingPond or else maybe I would auction off the single box =) )

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:42:04 AM

BTW, I heard there was inside cover space on the bitcoin magazine - considering coming up with something to put there.  Still available?  Don't know where I read it.

All advertising space has been sold except for inside front cover and back cover spots which are still available.

EDIT: Correction-- one advertising client hasn't responded to emails so it looks like we might have one additional single-page slot left as well.

EDIT 2: Just sold the backcover. Only inside-cover and 1 full page ad spots remain.

Aye, he had mentioned something about ad space and some pricing. Matt, can we get a breakdown of actual locations and pricing or a *point* int he direction we can find such detailed info?

cheers

http://bitcoinmagazine.co.uk/?page_id=2954

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:54:41 AM

Notice: All new advertisements, classifieds, letters to the editor, etc must be submitted by Sunday, February 5th 2012 in order to be included in the first issue of Bitcoin Magazine.

Thanks to everyone for your support and we ask for you to allow for 2 weeks for copies to be printed, bagged and mailed to your homes in the USA. All other countries please allow ample additional time for shipping.

Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 06:00:36 PM

I noticed there is no option for "print only". I am interested in purchasing this issue of the magazine, and I am willing to buy 10 of this one issue if I can get them exclusively in print for a smaller fee than print + digital, and maybe a discount for buying in bulk.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 06:11:49 PM

(Too bad no BiddingPond or else maybe I would auction off the single box =) )

Bitmit.net?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 09:24:12 PM

I noticed there is no option for "print only". I am interested in purchasing this issue of the magazine, and I am willing to buy 10 of this one issue if I can get them exclusively in print for a smaller fee than print + digital, and maybe a discount for buying in bulk.

me too.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 09:33:29 PM

The digital copy comes free with a print copy. You can't buy the print without the digital because it's a give-away with the print. You're not paying extra for it though if that's what it seemed like.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2012, 10:10:05 PM

The digital copy comes free with a print copy. You can't buy the print without the digital because it's a give-away with the print. You're not paying extra for it though if that's what it seemed like.

I'm going to get a printed copy for sure, i know I'll be able to past it around to a few family members who have recently become interested / invested in bitcoin  Cheesy they finally saw the light.

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 11:51:53 PM

Candy usually doesn't turn black when you laser it, it just vaporizes and melts and turns shiny, caramelizing a little, sort of like overheating sugar.

Some of the wisest words ever typed... I am still not clear on whether I can buy this at a local store (in chicago) or not. I would prefer to do that, but if it isn't going to happen for awhile I'll buy online.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 11:52:39 PM

Candy usually doesn't turn black when you laser it, it just vaporizes and melts and turns shiny, caramelizing a little, sort of like overheating sugar.

Some of the wisest words ever typed. I am still not clear on whether I can buy this at a local store (in chicago) or not. I would prefer to do that, but if it isn't going to happen for awhile I'll buy online.

It's not going to happen for a while.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2012, 04:22:45 AM

Some of the wisest words ever typed. I am still not clear on whether I can buy this at a local store (in chicago) or not. I would prefer to do that, but if it isn't going to happen for awhile I'll buy online.

It's not going to happen for a while.

Then I'll hand-deliver them--for free--throughout the whole Chicagoland area. Any other problems I can solve?

This is not a joke!

da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 11:23:50 AM

I'm happy to get a box and post them domesticaly in Australia Smiley

One off NP-Hard.
markio

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 01:35:19 PM

I think Bitmit definitely needs advertising space in the magazine
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 01:43:57 PM

I think Bitmit definitely needs advertising space in the magazine

I don't believe they've contacted us yet.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: