Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:01:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 02:59:07 PM

BBR doesn't have a "sugar daddy" effect not network effect. It will get it's backing in soonish time.

Zoidberg is not a one man team. He is also widely suspected to have written major portions of the original CN coin. I also suspect he is thankful_for_today (could be wrong on this one), so he is never going to focus his energy on XMR. Instead he and his small team are working on just improving BBR all around. His work in not closed source, contributors are going to come to BBR just like they came to XMR.

Cheap current valuation is nothing to worry about. Accumulate and speculate.

XMR was on a terrific track until it started getting hastily shoved down everyone's throats by pumpers and a certain exchange. In due time BBR will rightly surface over the XMR drawbacks.

This is FUD. Zoidberg did not spend two years writing CryptoNote, then wait for it to be public, then lose to Monero to be the first fair release. If Zoidberg really was apart of the original CN team, he certainly would have been ready to release the first fair CN coin.

You're a liar, you're making up lies.

Also, BBR has not enough of a lead to overtake Monero, this is the Litecoin vs Bitcoin argument all over again. Perhaps if BBR had a entirely different anonymity system then sure, it could be a competitor, but it's not. BBR has the same stuff that Monero has and both teams (Monero and BBR) have been using each others commits, so the intellectual knowledge sharing is quite even actually.

You're making a case that isn't, very sad to see BBR supporters being this lame.

One of the only people I respect in the BBR community is Zoidberg, many of the BBR supporters like yourself just make up fiction and lies, I cannot respect a liar.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:01:07 PM

Surprising how the Monero price is stagnating, even after last week's pump by the bagholders.

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you ? We're in a downtrend. What's surprising is that it has not yet hit the 3,65 mBTC range. What's surprising is how much demand there is above 3,9 mBTC.

My theory is that cryptsy will add XMR soon and some people know about it, so they're not dumping just yet.

Also, now that I'm quoting you, i must say this : it's beyond me how you are not yet banned from this thread : every time you post, you add nothing but noise.
Sorry, didn't know that praising Monero was mandatory. You guys are pathetic.

Critics are welcomed - just don't forget to bring arguments. Hint: ad hominem are not arguments.
With the amount of shilling and pumping that went on over the past two weeks or so, I was genuinely surprised that Monero did not go higher. It's not an argument, it's just a statement.
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:03:48 PM

Here's a drawback - XMR is most effectively mined on a server farm, but worse, second most effectively mined by a botnet.

I fail to see how is XMR any different than BBR in this regard - so it is not a valid argument. And also I don't see botnets as bad and I have already talked about it.

BBR's small network is actually in a worse position regarding the newly mined coins because there are just a few miners that are immediately dumping the coins (one of them is you wolf Smiley - correct me if i am wrong, i was not even able to find a long term hashrate chart.
If there is mining competition it is a good thing no matter if it comes from botnets or small players who will in the end prevail afterall because they have their computers on anyway so their mining cost is close to zero.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:09:40 PM

Surprising how the Monero price is stagnating, even after last week's pump by the bagholders.

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you ? We're in a downtrend. What's surprising is that it has not yet hit the 3,65 mBTC range. What's surprising is how much demand there is above 3,9 mBTC.

My theory is that cryptsy will add XMR soon and some people know about it, so they're not dumping just yet.

Also, now that I'm quoting you, i must say this : it's beyond me how you are not yet banned from this thread : every time you post, you add nothing but noise.
Sorry, didn't know that praising Monero was mandatory. You guys are pathetic.

Critics are welcomed - just don't forget to bring arguments. Hint: ad hominem are not arguments.
With the amount of shilling and pumping that went on over the past two weeks or so, I was genuinely surprised that Monero did not go higher. It's not an argument, it's just a statement.

It's a healthy market, people believe in Monero because it was the first fair CryptoNote coin. There are only several other types of coins on the market:

1. Bitcoin
2. Other CryptoNote coins that are technically strong like Monero but have no leading market edge and are essentially "Litecoin/Litenotes"
3. Gen 2 coins like Ethereum and Nxt. However Nxt economy will never be strong because newly minted coins are essential for economic freedom and movement, and Ethereum is early days.
4. All the scam coins, (XC, Dark, Black, etc...)

Really, the only decent coins that are worth our time is Bitcoin, Monero and Ethereum.

I think the Ethereum IPO will be so large it might be worth waiting until the coin is release before investing though.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:11:06 PM

And why the name calling? I noticed the Dark guys don't come around anymore for many reasons (e.g. dropping volume, weaknesses brought to light, etc.)
but I don't mind debate. I am not tied to a coin, though it would be nice to make another few nice calls on successful coins in the future. I was in Dark, XC
and some others and exited them when more evidence of their weaknesses came to light. But I am no necessarily looking for "the best" coin. Rather something
that appears to be near the top at this time and one that will adapt and change as need be. (Why I got out of Litecoin, at least for now.)

IAS

What are the weaknesses with XC that have been brought to light? Last we discussed this all I took from it is that their anon implementation is closed source for the time being. I know that's more than enough for many people to dismiss it until everything is opened up, but other than that, was there some other major issue that I missed?
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:16:32 PM

What are the weaknesses with XC that have been brought to light? Last we discussed this all I took from it is that their anon implementation is closed source for the time being. I know that's more than enough for many people to dismiss it until everything is opened up, but other than that, was there some other major issue that I missed?

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins#x11_coin
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:37:34 PM

Note I don't expect tromp's Cuckoo hash to be GPU resistant, because it can be (even if sublinear) parallelized. I don't know if anyone has tested parallelizing it on more than the two dozen cores he tested?
I tested it for him on 32 cores. I don't know the results you would have to ask him (I just ran some code he gave me on an idle system).

I summarized the results in my private response on May 1, reproduced below.
Note that the version you tested is the older one that didn't include edge trimming.
From all my benchmarking, I notice that AMD opteron servers, as well as Intel Xeon
servers with quad and octa cpus, appear to saturate memory at under 32 threads.
Dual-cpu Xeons appear to have a superior (at least for Cuckoo Cycle) memory subsystem,
that allows them to perform well beyond 32 threads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, smooth!

As I feared, Xeons perform much worse in octa-cpu configuration
than in dual-cpu. The speedup flattens out at about 16 threads.

If you run the speedup test on one of your dual-Xeon systems
with 16+ (hyper)threads, you'll see performance scaling much
better and presumably not flattening out,
like the green speedup30 curve in my paper at page 6 bottom left.

My favourite test target would be a system with dual
Xeon Ey-28(70/80/90) that can run 60 hyperthreads...

-John
drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 04:51:19 PM

BBR doesn't have a "sugar daddy" effect not network effect. It will get it's backing in soonish time.

Zoidberg is not a one man team. He is also widely suspected to have written major portions of the original CN coin. I also suspect he is thankful_for_today (could be wrong on this one), so he is never going to focus his energy on XMR. Instead he and his small team are working on just improving BBR all around. His work in not closed source, contributors are going to come to BBR just like they came to XMR.

Cheap current valuation is nothing to worry about. Accumulate and speculate.

XMR was on a terrific track until it started getting hastily shoved down everyone's throats by pumpers and a certain exchange. In due time BBR will rightly surface over the XMR drawbacks.

This is FUD. Zoidberg did not spend two years writing CryptoNote, then wait for it to be public, then lose to Monero to be the first fair release. If Zoidberg really was apart of the original CN team, he certainly would have been ready to release the first fair CN coin.

You're a liar, you're making up lies.

Also, BBR has not enough of a lead to overtake Monero, this is the Litecoin vs Bitcoin argument all over again. Perhaps if BBR had a entirely different anonymity system then sure, it could be a competitor, but it's not. BBR has the same stuff that Monero has and both teams (Monero and BBR) have been using each others commits, so the intellectual knowledge sharing is quite even actually.

You're making a case that isn't, very sad to see BBR supporters being this lame.

One of the only people I respect in the BBR community is Zoidberg, many of the BBR supporters like yourself just make up fiction and lies, I cannot respect a liar.

I think your time would be much wiser spent on being a good brown nosing cheerleader and attacking every coin that you dislike, rather than attacking me and my lying abilities, mate. I do not represent any camps. I am just not your regular cheerleader of one coin. Cryptos have a funny way of biting you back in your arse. Let's catch up down the road and see where things are in a few months, hey?

Am I spamming? Report me!
nicepumper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 04:52:19 PM

Whats the best anon coin to date? What about Zerocash?  Huh
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 04:55:55 PM

There's no viable solution as of yet. No matter what you buy, you're investing in promises.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 05:20:37 PM

Whats the best anon coin to date? What about Zerocash?  Huh
There's no viable solution as of yet. No matter what you buy, you're investing in promises.
Monero is fully working 100% anonymous transactions, the code is open source just look for yourself.
Here is what gmaxwell writes about it, his name is nullc:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7765455

btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 05:23:17 PM

And here is an example of what I predicted w.r.t. to innovation originating from smaller teams.

Boolberry looks better thanhas some innovations on Monero (at least until Monero adds I2P and copies these features, then Monero has the better name).

1. It prevents the cascade of linkability when other users in your mix don't mix as much as you do (although this could lead to gridlock if not managed somehow).

2. It claims to prune the blockchain by an estimated 30 - 70% (note this is still not enough to deal with the 100s of Petabytes scaling criticism I made upthread, because it is only a constant factor). Edit: when I formerly thought deeply about pruning Cryptonote, it seemed you'd have no way to prevent someone in your mix from not spending forever, thus making pruning impossible in that case. So I have some doubt about his claim.

I am not sure about 1 but 2 would require hard-fark. Something TacoTime indicates will not be happening anytime soon.

I asked zoidberg to come in and comment on number 2.

It's pretty obvious that Boolberrys biggest problem is, it has no team.

No its biggest (first-class) problem is it doesn't have a single feature that can't be adopted quickly by Monero and which makes it extremely compelling "must have" coin. A team won't change that.

The second non-starter problem is the name isn't professional, i.e. it reflects on a lack of marketing.

Boolberry has had a working Official GUI Wallet for some time now. Boolberry has had the ability to prune the size of the blockchain since start. Monero has not quickly adopted either of these features.

If I look outside the Bitcointalk space, I see many products with different names that seemed bad at the time. The products did well. Google used a mispelled name. Yahoo is a derogatory term for a "rough" person.

It's just one good coder and a marketing guy. I really give respect for there good work.

From the little I've seen, the marketing guy needs to be fired unless I missed something major. ...

I doubt you missed anything. Unfortunately, I cannot spend as much time as I would like on marketing. I spend a lot of time doing things unseen by most such as testing, keeping up to date on CryptoNote happenings, watching altcoin observer threads and reading all the XMR fanboy threads.  

lose to Monero to be the first fair release

There is no clear winner in the first fair release argument.

Bitmonero was announced on 4/9. Bitmonero was launched 4/18. Bitmonero was taken over around 4/24 and renamed Monero.
Boolberry was announced on 4/21. Boolberry was launched on 5/17.

There was active development on Boolberry since the announce. No meaningfiul changes were made to the Bitmonero core until after the takeover.

Also, BBR has not enough of a lead to overtake Monero, this is the Litecoin vs Bitcoin argument all over again.

No. BBR & XMR came out at the same time. BTC had a 2 year lead on LTC.
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 05:25:05 PM

Monero is fully working 100% anonymous transactions, the code is open source just look for yourself.
Monero is a year or more away from being a viable option. Functional does not necessarily imply viable.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 05:39:14 PM

Monero is a year or more away from being a viable option. Functional does not necessarily imply viable.
What are you even talking about?
The network works fine, transactions get sent and confirmed, difficulty has doubled in 10 days.

thrax

Activity: 253
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 05:50:55 PM

The network works fine, transactions get sent and confirmed, difficulty has doubled in 10 days.

How big is the Monero blockchain?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:08:19 PM

How big is the Monero blockchain?

Around 1.7GB on disk currently, since it's using non-optimized standard datastructures, storing redundant information on the HD.
The actual relevant amount of data is closer to 800MB.
You can see it here:
http://monerochain.info/charts/bcsize

Notice how the increasing of the size has slowed down end of June, after the dust-transaction-fix was deployed by pool operators.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:10:13 PM

You are either misinformed or delusional if you think that Monero is totally anonymous or anywhere near ready for real world use. What is it about Monero that spawns such an arrogant community?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:15:30 PM

You are either misinformed or delusional if you think that Monero is totally anonymous or anywhere near ready for real world use. What is it about Monero that spawns such an arrogant community?

As I know you as a long time Monero-hater, I'm sure you could provide some actual facts or tangible thoughts to support this kind of super vague undermining of  Monero's fundamentals. The burdden of proof is on your side with such stupid claims. Call me arrogant if you like, but I'm just asking you to support your post with something.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Brilliantrocket

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 06:25:33 PM

I don't see any overt flaw with the fundamentals apart from the bloat. I'm even open to investing in Monero, if the bloat can be fixed. Anonymint has stated that it cannot, but perhaps he can be proven wrong, who knows?

My main issue is with the Monero shills who try to misrepresent where Monero is in terms of completion. Just read your own thread to see the crippling issues that people deal with on a daily basis.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 06:31:29 PM

I don't see any overt flaw with the fundamentals apart from the bloat. I'm even open to investing in Monero, if the bloat can be fixed. Anonymint has stated that it cannot, but perhaps he can be proven wrong, who knows?

My main issue is with the Monero shills who try to misrepresent where Monero is in terms of completion. Just read your own thread to see the crippling issues that people deal with on a daily basis.

You're conflating - the conversation you were involved in was about the "best" anonymous coin, not the most usable or the most feature-complete. The person referred to ZeroCoin, so clearly they're talking about the "best" with regards to the degree of anonymity provided.

Bloat is something we know about, but not something we're concerned with solving right now, so stop bringing it up. Rehashing it is a strawman argument.

Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: