Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:11:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387448 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:05:54 PM

I thought that LTC would rebound for sure with the next BTC rise but with whats happening with Monero I don't really see a reason why it should.  I think those funds will flow into Monero.

Looks like a SlipperySlope.
Hah.

But really, where do you guys see this ending?

I don't really follow LTC.

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinsolidation

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 11:15:49 PM

OK, how about the date when BitMark market cap surpasses LTC?

Now that, I'd be interested in Smiley

The two are quite distinct, Litecoin may yet do things which increase adoption and earn a higher price tag.

My personal target is not to beat Litecoin's market cap, but rather it's adoption, along with every other currency, combined.

Smiley

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:39:25 PM

MRO is shining because it has a value proposition (privacy), it has a community, and the coin is still 95% not mined and mineable by anyone (non GPU/ASIC). The competitor, DRK, is centralized, has half of the current supply instamined, and it a lot more expensive. This was an easy choice really.

I don't know XCP that's why haven't mentioned it. It is 100% premine so why should I care?
With a P2P exchange it would be useful to exchange BTC<>MRO as a method of making BTC anonymous. Even if MRO isn't used as a currency it could be valuable as a tool for BTC. Almost like an optional add-on.

Some long term Bitcoin weaknesses are:
- centralized mining (in only few pools),
- lack of fungibility (due to lack of privacy), and
- security hole in the elliptic curve (not in the hash algorithm).

CPU mining (GPU and ASICs resistant) is key to true decentralization. Any of you mining MRO can confirm that MRO is GPU resistant?

Cryptonote's MRO seems a good solution to bitcoin's lack of fungibility, and it's a feature that Bitcoin can hardly adopt. But it's not enough for an altcoin to succeed because, as dillpiklechips says, it could be useful simply to "wash" bitcoins.

Concerning the elliptic curve algorithm in MRO, I have not found any info.

MRO has 8x folded in just few days, and that's enough for me to stay apart.

Risto, what was your MRO purchase price?

No. Not true. NVIDIA GPUs can mine Monero

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.msg7487737#msg7487737

http://www.cudamining.cc/url/releases/member/4

I can't seem to find a compiled version though.

Found it thanks to some help: https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight/releases

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 12:45:04 AM

When I was choosing between the two, I personally felt that both the block interval and coin generation schedule were better in BBR. But unfortunately all the other things were worse, with legitimacy on the top of the list.

Why only pick one, and not both?  Since CryptoNote is very new, both coins have a chance to be the sector leader.  BBR may get stuck being Pepsi to XMR's Coke, or become the dominant CN coin if there is an XMR catastrophe.  Those are both winning outcomes.

BBR may be the next BetaMax (better tech killed by QWERTY effect) but that's why I only spent 10% as much on them.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:49:14 AM

When I was choosing between the two, I personally felt that both the block interval and coin generation schedule were better in BBR. But unfortunately all the other things were worse, with legitimacy on the top of the list.

Why only pick one, and not both?  Since CryptoNote is very new, both coins have a chance to be the sector leader.  BBR may get stuck being Pepsi to XMR's Coke, or become the dominant CN coin if there is an XMR catastrophe.  Those are both winning outcomes.

BBR may be the next BetaMax (better tech killed by QWERTY effect) but that's why I only spent 10% as much on them.

Stumbled across this gem today on buttcoin.  I think it's relevant to Pepsi vs Coke in currencies

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2dfvoy/truth_you_dont_want_to_hear_bitcoin_price_matters/
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:00:20 AM

Looks like a SlipperySlope.
Hah.

But really, where do you guys see this ending?

I don't really follow LTC.

In the longish fun (at least long for crypto), it seems pretty obvious to me that Litecoin will not be the #2 crypto. But that's always seemed obvious to me, and it's been #2 for longer than I expected... I tend to be early with my investment theses, thinking others will very quickly see what I see, but it often turns out to take painfully (and unprofitably) longer than I expect.

But I do think the tide is finally turning. There are now plenty of coins that actually do something different than bitcoin. Almost all will completely fail to gain any sort of traction (because their "innovation" proves false or of little value), but a couple that fill meaningful niches will likely shine through, ultimately. There's no reason for Litecoin, which does NOT fill any bitcoin-distinct technical niche whatsoever, to remain the dominant alt. Thankfully others are (finally) realizing this.

It's a shame that we actually had to plod through to two inevitabilities, which have been obvious since 2012, to trigger litecoin's decline, but we finally have them:

1) The production of scrypt ASICs
It's been apparent to anyone with at least 1/3 of a brain that any successful coin with a PoW security alg will eventually converge to industrial-scale mining dynamics. It all, eventually, comes down to energy cost and economies of scale. Litecoiners were very annoying for a year or two running their mouths about how the mining alg was different and ASICs wouldn't be a thing in litecoinland for many many years, if ever... Well, here they are. Obviously.

2) The introduction of *potentially* interesting features in various other coins. It was inevitable that this would happen, and now that people can see that empirically, it's tougher to find any meaningful technical arguments for litecoin.

I should note that I don't begrudge the existence of litecoin by any means; it was inevitable that someone would forktweak bitcoin, and litecoin did that first (with a fair launch, etc). It's been an interesting experiment. One that, IMO, has empirically demonstrated the potential for crowds and markets to act irrationally far longer than many theoreticians would argue should be the case. That in and of itself is a valuable lesson.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:53:43 AM

But BBR isn't even the next BetaMax, what the hell are you talking about? This is so frustrating!

BBR's changes are only to make it separate from monero and to build a cult around zoidberg. BBR's changes are questionable at best, this is Litecoin all over again, the fact that people can't see this just shows how many idiots are in Crypto!

I get it, I used to be one of those idiots, and I lost a lot for it, but I feel that I am different now, losing hundreds of Bitcoin changes you, makes you research well and apply logic.

mitkos1

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:57:17 AM

Could this be implemented in xmr? It looks like a solution for blockchain bloat.

http://bitscan.com/articles/anonymity-why-dark-is-the-new-black
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:25:53 AM

Could this be implemented in xmr? It looks like a solution for blockchain bloat.

Why does that link want to use my computer's location?  Never saw that warning message before.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:35:49 AM

Why does that link want to use my computer's location?  Never saw that warning message before.

I think the website is one that tracks local Bitcoin businesses for you on a map.
mitkos1

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:20:32 AM

I have no problem with the first link. Try this one:

http://virtualmining.com/anonymity-why-dark-is-the-new-black/
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:00:10 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 11:13:20 AM by Anotheranonlol

Why only pick one, and not both?  Since CryptoNote is very new, both coins have a chance to be the sector leader.  BBR may get stuck being Pepsi to XMR's Coke, or become the dominant CN coin if there is an XMR catastrophe.  Those are both winning outcomes.

But BBR isn't even the next BetaMax, what the hell are you talking about? This is so frustrating!

BBR's changes are only to make it separate from monero and to build a cult around zoidberg. BBR's changes are questionable at best, this is Litecoin all over again, the fact that people can't see this just shows how many idiots are in Crypto!

I get it, I used to be one of those idiots, and I lost a lot for it, but I feel that I am different now, losing hundreds of Bitcoin changes you, makes you research well and apply logic.

Nobody is making a cult around zoidberg, Ask for an objective, outsider perspective on XMR and BBR; which one seems more more cult-like, which one seems more like a forced meme. XMR has multiple threads consistently pushed to the front page, fireside chats, monero missives, Random sprinklings of TA, big secret news that can't be spoken about yet, continual references that this is the silver to Bitcoins gold, that it is the ONLY alt worth investing in, subtle reminders that 'it won't stay cheap for long'.  Apparently there will never be a monero cabal but everyone seems pretty close-knit to me --  Mr Zoidberg is not turning up for smoked  salmon and a sancho panza at any investorwhales castles. (fwiw that's not necessarily a bad thing at all)  Even this so called 'altcoin-observer' seems to be pretty centric on observing XMR. You know yourself OP could probably turn around and say he's including CleanWaterCoin in his portfolio with some statistics and projections, before you know it clearwater coin rally starts with wall observer minions. He definitely had a big impact on making sure this snowball starts rolling smoothly.

I picked out a few quotes below.

As long as my credit is good, I am a buyer long past the point of despair.  When I start to feel the fear and depression, I cheer myself up by buying more.  I take some amphetamine and a shot of whiskey, if that's what it takes.  

Until people have obligations which can only be discharged in monero, there are no forced buyers, and volatility extremes will persist.  Just about the only thing that can give you a permanent loss is selling - especially forced sales from leverage.

I just got a new convert.  A rates trader at Metlife took a few thousand from me as a tail hedge.  A miniscule position, but I suspect he will become a repeat customer and tell his friends.

I will be meeting with an fx option market maker later, and a hedge fund manager when we can work out a mutual time.  Also looking into contacts with a rather largish fixed income fund for meetups the next time I hit nyc.

..snip...

I might line up a presentation on monero at one or more btc nyc meetups or at the nyc bitcoin center.  Not by me, but by a friend who is better suited to the task.

In future I may line up some seminar groups in London, Hong Kong, and or Shanghai.

Oh and I will be having beers tomorrow after work with an SVP from Two Sigma.  XMR will not be neglected.

Like Mr. Blankfein, I feel I am doing God' s work.

I didn't see any BBR supporters talking like that just yet. Don't even think that's the worst of the bunch. Sure I heard someone saying they will ask their employer to get paid in XMR or quit. I dread to read some posts by die-hard XMR supporters, the same way I dread a cold-call by someone convincing me I need new double glazing, or a knock from a jehovas witness'. because I know for sure all they want to do is plant that seed in my head I need to convert, I need to buy asap.

You show again this disturbing attitude that BBR is a direct copy-paste of XMR with marketing gimmicks - that XMR is the BTC and LTC (BBR) just adds a few bells and whistles.  

Newsflash, Monero was a copy-paste too. Both were borne of the same womb and launched at very similar times. They were essentially horses that started at the same line - No 3 year difference here. Secondly, as I've said before whilst it might be apparent that now LTC doesn't offer any tangible benefit over BTC, it was not always the case. In 2011- there were genuine reasons why one might want to invest in it. XMR was not 'the btc' because there never was a cryptonote BTC. Bytecoin was like the tenebrix. So we needed a fairbrix/ltc. Looks like XMR for now is taking the latter position.

There isn't a whole lot that needs, or could even be changed from the vanilla cryptonote base the coins have built on. There are downsides people are aware of with this technology with no easy fix in sight, so It's more gradual polishing, bolt-tightening and house-keeping from the point we are at now. An equitable launch and a good community was a great foundation to start with.

BBR decided to do a few things fundamentally differently to XMR from the get go. You talk about things like a tweaked emission curve to be a 'questionable change'.

With XMR- 15% mined already and 86% mined within 4 years, really? And that's supposed to be preferential to BBR? It's no small thing.  Why is XMR's emission curve kept the way it was? There could be a number of answers 1) lack of foresight with a smidgeon of greed. or 2) no need to fix what isn't broken. My opinion, the former. (Doesn't mean it's not possible to profit here - . We all know there has been much worse.)

Another example - BBR has described the methods they will use to trim the blockchain. I've heard a few times from XMR supporters that they believe it's a fast-fix, botch job etc and instead XMR will focus on embedding into a DB- doing it the 'proper way', - to me it seems compressed, not trimmed. BBR can trim then compress surely?

When BBR came out with a GUI, XMR supporters were mostly nonchalant. 'They rushed it', 'no regard for UI/UX' 'we'll spend weeks mocking up a beautiful cross-platform interface' 'gives us more time to accumulate, then the price will rocket' I agree the wallet mockup is certainly extremely sexy and looks like a lot of thought has been put into usability, but the launch should be somewhat priced into the market. Unless you are factoring in that bunch of noobs who couldn't figure out a command line will start buying in droves and a new higher floor will be set.

What XMR did in the beginning - Attracting high-profile backers, giving them a chance to accumulate, (or perhaps a little helping hand in building a stash) - having them announce they are taking a position- in fact the only position in alts they have ever taken, waiting for the fruit flies to show up and then gradually, slowly and methodologically building up an ecosystem is something that never happened with Boolberry community. Bringing liquidity, decent buy support to an exchange, then making the case for delisting the legacy LTC pairs for XMR was another intelligent step. XMR has eloquent, personable dev team with constant community interaction doing things slowly but surely, vs a perceived, reclusive, standoffish non native english speaking 'one man show' making a quick git clone- that's the kind of attitude I've heard from XMR proponents.

The early posts by cbuchner regarding his BBR mining ventures was a big blight to that coin, despite it being debunked nicely by dga & christian himself it was still continuously used as ammo against the coin- the crippled hashing function left over from the bytecoin/bitmonero copy paste process in monero was also debunked by smooth or fluffpony.. i forget -- Both were proven to have had little real impact in the grand scheme of things, yet the difference is that little hiccup never really had an effect on XMR pricing to the same magnitude it did with BBR.

Anyway in terms of profit potential-  OP has said, in his own words:

Monero makes me feel like Bitcoin in 2010, tons of potential and a $6MM market cap. I actually was there so I can compare the feeling. It will become really big, 1000x gain just to match what Bitcoin is now.

so, he says XMR market cap (1000x gain from todays prices, fully mined).. will be around 62,165,527.28 (sixty-two million) BTC (or about 3x as many BTC as will ever be created within the next 126 years). I'm not so optimistic, to put it mildly so I will make some calculations on just a 10x increase

If XMR was to shoot up 1000% of todays current price overnight, to ~0.03 it would overtake all the fully-mined coins such as DRK, NXT, Ripple, by a significant margin, and sit just below LTC. despite only ~15% being distributed. If you were to buy after it shot up, god help you- you would need to expect it to reach a market cap of ~600,000 BTC,  or roughly 2x higher than LTC within a relatively short time period 4 years or so in order to not lose money if you were hodling. (just operating under the assumption none of the other coins move for simplicitys sake)

If you talk about expecting that same overnight 1000% increase for BBR,  it's market cap will be around the level of shitcoins such as marinecoin, monacoin, zetacoin. Can that happen? why the hell not. Will it happen in such inefficent markets- who knows. If you were to buy at the 10x increase, In the same 4 year emission period as XMR, you should expect it to rise around the level of  (23,700 BTC) - near maidsafe and dogecoin in order to not lose money. We are talking about a 576 thousand, three hundred BTC difference in that case!!  Would XMR warrant being valued that much more than BBR? Within a 10 year period, you should still expect it to rank below darkcoin with a market cap of ~37,363 btc or 16x lower than monero to stay in the black. STILL near enough five-hundred and sixty-three thousand BTC difference (again assuming the rest of the market stays static for simplicitys sake)

I think there is a place for at least one cryptonote coin in this scene for sure, I hold XMR and BBR. No denying XMR is the one with stickiness and it's the one I can feel more relaxed in parking money in knowing few BTC worth of sells or buys will have no impact on the market like it does with BBR, yet purely from a gambling perspective I know which one of those scenarios I consider more likely. And I absolutely believe BBR is undervalued- It's at less than half the cap of ducknote for god sake, and that coin has block halving every month, 80% mined within the year..

bcmine

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1055

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:15:07 AM

monero is an exception and litecoin is the china bitcoin, thats not a myth
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:28:10 AM

litecoin is the china bitcoin, thats not a myth

Bitcoin isn't the China Bitcoin?

And wouldn't a CN coin be much more likely to succeed in China as they could clearly benefit from anonymity?

Why is Litecoin still on Bitcoin 8.x.x anyway? Why is the Github deadish?

300mil market cap going down the drain because of no one actually caring enough to do anything about it.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 11:49:11 AM

Both were borne of the same womb and launched at very similar times. They were essentially horses that started at the same line - No 3 year difference here.

I don't disagree with some of the things you've said, although we certainly have no control over whether people wish to express interest in Monero in whatever way they see fit. That having been said, I think the "out the gate" bit is a key element here. Monero launched on 2014/04/18.Even though BBR was announced a few days later, it only launched a full month after Monero, on 2014/05/17. I know that in the grand scheme of things this may seem inconsequential, but in the rapidly moving altcoin space it meant a full month's lead on BBR. Whether that is the only element of Monero's current success...I don't know...but it certainly played a huge role at the outset.

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:24:58 PM

Both were borne of the same womb and launched at very similar times. They were essentially horses that started at the same line - No 3 year difference here.

I don't disagree with some of the things you've said, although we certainly have no control over whether people wish to express interest in Monero in whatever way they see fit. That having been said, I think the "out the gate" bit is a key element here. Monero launched on 2014/04/18.Even though BBR was announced a few days later, it only launched a full month after Monero, on 2014/05/17. I know that in the grand scheme of things this may seem inconsequential, but in the rapidly moving altcoin space it meant a full month's lead on BBR. Whether that is the only element of Monero's current success...I don't know...but it certainly played a huge role at the outset.

I'm sure you might have pointed this out already, but I saw BBR (formerly Honeypenny) announcement was made April 20th. test-network was launched on April 26th. Monero thread was created April 25th, with main-net launched at same time . The 2014/04/18 date was when it was launched by TFT under BitMonero branding. Essentially the 'relaunch' by the new team was 25th.  It was mostly under the radar while under the BMR branding, and even under the radar when under XMR branding in early days, I had to buy some OTC via PM's, because it wasn't listed on any exchanges at that time (the same goes for BBR, and that was added to exchanges even later)

This thread was created towards the end of May, and as you can see from http://monerochain.info/charts/transactions
that's where it began to get a bit of traction. I agree this scene is so fast moving, and agree it definitely had an affect,  but it still doesn't seem such a huge gap, especially taking into account the lower price and less-steep emission curve of BBR

crypto_zoidberg

Activity: 976
Merit: 646

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 12:28:29 PM

I've saw many sad things said about my work, but this is the first time i was blamed in building cult Smiley

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:01:00 PM

Monero makes me feel like Bitcoin in 2010, tons of potential and a $6MM market cap. I actually was there so I can compare the feeling. It will become really big, 1000x gain just to match what Bitcoin is now.

so, he says XMR market cap (1000x gain from todays prices, fully mined).. will be around 62,165,527.28 (sixty-two million) BTC (or about 3x as many BTC as will ever be created within the next 126 years).

Other parts of the post were either fully agreeable, or will be corrected by others. This one I wanted to correct myself. In that post I meant that Monero's marketcap ($5.8M) currently is only 1/1000 of Bitcoin's ($5.8B). Therefore, if Monero ever reaches the same adoption as Bitcoin has now, in dollar terms that is a 1000x gain.

That it overtakes Bitcoin and becomes worth BTC62M (or way more) is a possibility but not the point of the above. If such happens, pricing things in Bitcoin has already ended.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Brilliantrocket

Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:06:00 PM

I'm of the opinion that the biggest anonymous currency has a real chance of overtaking Bitcoin. Personally, I'll never use Bitcoin because it lacks privacy. It's a non-starter for me.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:58:21 PM

monero is an exception and litecoin is the china bitcoin, thats not a myth

This is something new I'm hearing. They have alt for almost everything...

Google => Baidu

Twitter => Weibo

Facebook => Renren

Amazon => Alibaba

...and now

Bitcoin => Litecoin

Pages: « 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: