Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:55:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: (Poll is over — Does anyone know how to delete this?)  (Voting closed: June 02, 2014, 06:53:27 PM)
3% - 0 (0%)
6% - 0 (0%)
12% - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] New Piggycoin [PIGGY] | 3% interest | Web PiggyBank | Android PiggyBank  (Read 222542 times)
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 04:15:50 PM

Future use of the unclaimed unswapped coins

In related news, we PiggyTeam would like to claim those unswapped coins for future development, with the community's permission.

I believe that most people want services around the coin -- open-source web and mobile PiggyBanks, tipbots, teaching materials, tutorial videos, ongoing translations of everything... -- so we need to pay people or set bounties to make those things happen.  Perhaps when PiggyCoin's bigger, those things would be more likely to happen without this kind of financial inducement, but for now, we need to bootstrap the coin by developing the services around it.

The PiggyCoin desktop piggybanks do have multisignature capabilities built-in, though they're not user-friendly.  So we could give multisig keys to some portion of these coins to community members, with the corresponding multisig keys in the PiggyTeam's hands, so that we could not move them without community members' permission.  Then they should only release the next portion of the coins if the previous portion has been spent and accounted-for satisfactorily.

The alternative to this plan, is of course, to destroy the coins by sending them to an unrecoverable address (pTheresNoChanceWeHaveThePrivateKeyForThis...).

How can you, the PiggyCoin holder, indicate your preference?  Well, you can tell us here, or by PM, by e-mail, whatever.  It doesn't seem practical to vote on this using wallet signatures as some people have their piggycoins in multiple addresses, but you can do that if you want -- Sign a message telling us your preference.  (Of course, the views of big holders of PiggyCoin should have more weight, especially as it's not practical to sell all those coins right now.)

Oink!
Mo

That's an interesting idea, to allow some portion of the community a kind of veto power over spending this unallocated reserve. A few concerns:

1. How would those holding the keys be chosen? Presumably a person's holdings in PIGGY would be a large factor, but would it be the only one? Involvement or support for PIGGY in other ways might count for something as well.
2. How would the multi-sig be structured? If all the community members that hold a key need to sign off, then there is a significant risk of someone getting hit by a truck or otherwise being incapacitated. So presumably some fraction of them would only be required. But if only 1 person out of many needs to concur with the dev team, that's a pretty low bar as well. So we should all understand the "rules" before giving our opinions on the matter. How many community "board members" would hold this veto power? And what fraction would need to concur for the multi-sig to process?
3. You guys have done a good job developing things on a shoestring budget and I commend you for that! For this to work well, I'd urge you to continue with the Roadmap approach and outlining ideas and a vision for Piggycoin going forward. That would help the community in several ways - offering suggestions and feedback, being able to help prioritize, and with this multi-sig proposal, to keep things focused appropriately if you guys did go off the rails or got distracted for some reason.  Wink

As I think you know, I'm slow to agree to cutting people off from the chance of converting their old PIG even after a year. But a year in crypto is like an eternity at this point, and if they are completely not paying attention, I think there's a point where the community can agree to move on. One last point I'd offer is that if down the line someone did still show up with PIG to convert, so long as there were funds available from this reserve I think they should still be enabled to make the conversion. But if the reserve does get all spent, I think at that point they've lost their chance.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenmo

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 05:31:01 PM

1. How would those holding the keys be chosen? Presumably a person's holdings in PIGGY would be a large factor, but would it be the only one? Involvement or support for PIGGY in other ways might count for something as well.
2. How would the multi-sig be structured? If all the community members that hold a key need to sign off, then there is a significant risk of someone getting hit by a truck or otherwise being incapacitated. So presumably some fraction of them would only be required. But if only 1 person out of many needs to concur with the dev team, that's a pretty low bar as well. So we should all understand the "rules" before giving our opinions on the matter. How many community "board members" would hold this veto power? And what fraction would need to concur for the multi-sig to process?
3. You guys have done a good job developing things on a shoestring budget and I commend you for that! For this to work well, I'd urge you to continue with the Roadmap approach and outlining ideas and a vision for Piggycoin going forward. That would help the community in several ways - offering suggestions and feedback, being able to help prioritize, and with this multi-sig proposal, to keep things focused appropriately if you guys did go off the rails or got distracted for some reason.  Wink

1. Yes, both of those things I think.

2. We'll have to wait for neurocis to give his input on what kind of scheme he thinks is feasible.  I am in touch with him, but he's busy with work at the moment.

3. Thanks, but in retrospect I think we should have been more willing to spend whatever piggies were necessary far sooner to get things done, especially to get the interest rate bug fixed.  (Like, we could have offered up a significant portion of the coin's holdings to whomever could fix it.)  I did offer some small amount of bitcoin to another dev to get the interest rate fix done, and we waited for him to do it, but it eventually turned out he hadn't done it and had gotten distracted by higher-paying work.  Fortunately neurocis stepped up to the plate and found and fixed the bug!

Also we're indebted to our web and Android PiggyBank guy who remade those piggybanks for New PiggyCoin essentially pro-bono.  Unfortunately he doesn't seem to want or is too busy to go the last mile to fix the excessive transaction fee bug and the other small annoyances, but hopefully neurocis, kruug or piggydev will be able to fix the fee at least.  (kruug, our web guy, is currently busy moving house.  PiggyDev is starting his university holidays but I don't know if he'll do anything on PiggyCoin.)

As I think you know, I'm slow to agree to cutting people off from the chance of converting their old PIG even after a year. But a year in crypto is like an eternity at this point, and if they are completely not paying attention, I think there's a point where the community can agree to move on. One last point I'd offer is that if down the line someone did still show up with PIG to convert, so long as there were funds available from this reserve I think they should still be enabled to make the conversion. But if the reserve does get all spent, I think at that point they've lost their chance.

Well, neurocis became the lead dev very reluctantly, so I don't want to burden him with this responsibility for too much longer.  (It was me who pushed for a longer swap period last year.)

The other thing you might want to consider, is that it's difficult for most people to verify that these swaps are done legitimately.  You'd need a copy of the PIG blockchain and a block explorer for it, I suppose.  As PIG is now defunct, you wouldn't really know that a PIG blockchain you get from us or anyone else, hasn't been tampered with, and you'd need to check the block explorer's source code too, and compile it yourself or have a trusted third-party compile it for you.  And come to think of it, every swap request really should have been public too, or else we could just claim "The owner of this address claimed his PIGGY!" but send it to an address that actually belongs to one of us.  So what I'm saying is, it's a violation of the trustless nature of cryptocurrency to have us just sending money to people in this way.  At least if it's sent for bounties claimed, we can more easily account for it and the community can see the work done.
piggycoin (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:00:56 AM

The web piggybank sending fee has been reduced from 1.5% to the intended 0.15%.  Thanks to neurocis and the web piggybank dev  Smiley
--
Mo

New Piggycoin [PIGGY]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=633803
The crypto for kids!
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:53:00 PM

Glad to hear the Piggybank is "fixed." :-)

Greenmo, thanks for the feedback. I asked the questions here so everyone can see the discussion and chime in as wanted. I'm pretty much agreeable to your proposals, and will sign a PM to you to that effect. I suppose the question of any late claimants with PIG can ultimately be settled by consensus between the dev team and community voters. Once we know the structure of the community votes (we should have an open discussion here about that too), the policy for future PIG conversion claims should be hashed out and published once consensus is achieved.

piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:41:51 PM

NEW!  Calling all educators!  Want to try out PiggyCoin in your classroom?  Request some free PiggyCoins from the PiggyCoin Educational Seed Fund!

Fill out this form to tell us what you want PiggyCoins for and we'll get back to you.

The crypto for kids!
greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 09:15:40 PM

Some nice price movement today  Cheesy

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/flappycoin/
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/piggycoin/

PiggyCoin has an eighth of the marketcap of FlappyCoin.  Still much room to grow ;8]
greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 10:38:28 PM

Voat is a Reddit clone.

I made a Voat SubVerse for PiggyCoin, mainly to reserve the name: https://voat.co/v/piggycoin

Upvoats pls if you're so inclined ;8]
greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 12:02:01 AM

This person wants to create an educational website that rewards children with cryptos for participating on the site.  Can anyone help him?  https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/3bg2qo/the_piggycoin_educational_seed_fund/cslxvie
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:24:49 AM

The PiggyCoin Foundation Coins

The PiggyTeam is still holding 1,500,000 PIGGY that was collected for the charity 88bikes.  It now seems that there may be sufficient liquidity to sell these, to donate the proceeds to the charity, as should have been done long ago.  We're selling them 500,000 at a time, in sell walls.

Dev work

Neurocis has been busy in his day job, but things are proceeding on PiggyCoin, a little slower than expected.  Now that the Reddit tipbot is fixed, neurocis is planning to review the Mac UI fixes that MystPhysX made and merge them into the main repository.

After that, he'll come here to comment on the multisig holding solution for the unswapped coins, then lay out a technical roadmap for the '2.0' features he has planned ;8]

The crypto for kids!
J1mb0

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:45:45 AM

NEW!  Calling all educators!  Want to try out PiggyCoin in your classroom?  Request some free PiggyCoins from the PiggyCoin Educational Seed Fund!

Hey! I just rediscovered Piggy! It is in much ruder health than I could have imagined.

The above is a great idea but I think it needs some kind of lab/class materials around it. Most school IT classes cannot even grasp simple python let alone cryptocurrencies - they seem to concentrate on teaching word and powerpoint.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 09:26:37 AM

EasySend, the online database of PiggyCoin addresses, is back online.  Not sure, but I think it might have been offline since we moved away from GoDaddy hosting.  Unfortunately the previous database entries have been lost, so you'll need to re-enter your info.

https://www.piggy-coin.com/easysend/

The crypto for kids!
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:40:12 PM

I'm just getting a blank screen when I try to check on a name, at the address https://www.piggy-coin.com/lookupaddress.php. ?

greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 01:51:34 PM

I'm just getting a blank screen when I try to check on a name, at the address https://www.piggy-coin.com/lookupaddress.php. ?

Then the name's not present.  Sorry, no error message yet.

If it was present, it would tell you so.

(Sorry, it's just a quick fix neurocis did.  A teacher contacted the piggyteam to say that EasySend would be useful to him if it was working.  neurocis took a quick look at it and saw that it was easy to fix, so fixed it right away :8).
neurocis

Activity: 113
Merit: 23

Dreams are realities un-manifested.

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2015, 07:29:40 PM

It now responds with "No Piggycoin address found for xyz"

Oink!
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 10:17:11 PM

Thanks you two!

piggycoin (OP)

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:55:47 AM

Neurocis has merged the Mac UI fixes made by MystPhysX into our main code repository ( https://github.com/piggycoin/newpiggycoin ) and uploaded new Mac and Windows binaries to our website: https://www.piggy-coin.com/getting-started/

So, the present version is now v1.2.2.1 'Hey Mac-arena'.

Aside from the Mac UI fixes and version number updates, the only thing that's changed is an additional checkpoint.  So, this is a completely optional upgrade from v1.2.2.0 'Operation Sever-Chain'.

If you are wondering why you haven't already received an update notification from your Desktop PiggyBank, it's because that's something that only happens when the program is restarted, or when you click on Help / Check for Updates.  Then you can choose to 'Ignore' the new update or download it as you wish.  Wink

The crypto for kids!
yns1971

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:29:19 AM

I withdrawalled piggy coins from poloniex 5 days age, the Status was COMPLETE: ERROR and i didn't receive coins until now, what should i do?
greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 11:52:15 AM

I withdrawalled piggy coins from poloniex 5 days age, the Status was COMPLETE: ERROR and i didn't receive coins until now, what should i do?

That's a common error (though I've never gotten it) that happens when withdrawing cryptos from Poloniex.  You should submit a support ticket or even just ask the blue mod in the Trollbox -- I think the mods can fix it too.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:36:43 PM

Something seems to be wrong with https://chainz.cryptoid.info/piggy/#!extraction as the stats don't seem to be updating there. Perhaps it is related to the software update that came out overnight?

greenmo

Mo Green

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:55:24 PM

Something seems to be wrong with https://chainz.cryptoid.info/piggy/#!extraction as the stats don't seem to be updating there. Perhaps it is related to the software update that came out overnight?

Thanks for spotting it.  Neurocis is asleep and the CryptoID guy is on a kind of holiday but hopefully they'll take a look at it when they notice my messages :8]
Pages: « 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 »
  Print  

Jump to: