Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:25:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 [526] 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 ... 610 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XCR] Crypti | Dapps | Sidechains | Dapp Store | OPEN SOURCE | 100% own code | DPoS  (Read 804602 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
GreXX

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 05:16:01 AM

Btw just to throw my opinion out there...

I agree that you should only release lite wallets for windows, because of the issue with windows not being able to correctly sync the time- which is not an issue with crypti but with windows. I'm curious though, does anybody know how quick a blocktime you can have before running into this problem? 10 sec is obvs too quick, but what about 20s or 30s? Would having the minimum blocktime capable of preventing this problem be possible if it is only a bit slower than the current blocktime? Might be worth the sacrifice in transaction time.

Also, I agree that there will need to be more incentive to setup a full node or else we will be left with only the 101 active delegates and perhaps a few extra. I don't know how much of a problem that would actually be (if at all), but I think it is inevitable if there is no incentive for inactive delegates (especially once the 101 active delegates have become so entrenched with so many votes and high uptime % that it seems impossible to make it into the active 101 for somebody setting up a new delegate).

We have projects in the works that take advantage of the 10s block times. Things like games being created to utilize the Crypti smart contracts would suffer from longer block times and confirmations. We aren't going to change our system from being one of the fastest in the industry and completely capable of working perfectly as long as people wanting to be delegates follow the recommended hardware specifications just to appease our #1 favorite troll (Starik).

If you want to run on windows, then you just don't need to be a delegate. You can run the lite wallet and still do anything you want to outside of being a delegate. Asking us to support and put time into building a client so home users can run the network on their crappy laptops is nonsensical. You would never ask Netflix to run their service off your laptop (and if you did, everyone's Netflix experience would be terrible).

Also, building in incentives for people to run nodes is outdated thinking and not necessary. It's an antiquated model based on the greed of the Crypto Currency pioneers and miners. People will be running real services and business on top of the Crypti Blockchain and they will want to run a full node to interface with the network and call the APIs. The $20 a month service fee to run the server will be chump change to them and they won't care about transaction fees and we will want to vote them in because their business depends on the security of the network and they wouldn't do anything to harm it.

Please try to look at the bigger picture and see how all of the pieces fit together.

Also, standby nodes will be able to register to be used for other purposes that will provide compensation in the form of fees from those utilizing them as a resource. This will be explained much more in detail when we are ready.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GreXX

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 05:17:49 AM

based on crypti images

For everyone who has a Crypti business/website and wants to show that it's based on the crypti network. Smiley

How about some "Powered by Crypti" ones for people building services on top of Crypti in the near future. ;-)

GreXX

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 05:21:42 AM

Okay I updated my Signature. Hopefully that will get a *little* more exposure. What other things can we do to get Crypti more awareness. Or I suppose once the design and store has been set up. We can focus our efforts towards marketing. It just a tough field with quite a few other coins out there..I don't see a real hurry to get out the code in open source. It will likely be ripped and ripped and ripped then repackage as coin X, Y z
Regards,
Brian

We are hoping to announce our first industry partnership (of several possibly in the works) soon. We are quickly spinning up on getting our marketing / PR machine going as we lead up to the next few releases. You will hopefully see much more progress on this front.

Passion_ltc

Activity: 714

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 10:01:49 AM

based on crypti images

For everyone who has a Crypti business/website and wants to show that it's based on the crypti network. Smiley

How about some "Powered by Crypti" ones for people building services on top of Crypti in the near future. ;-)

Tada!

Passion_ltc

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 10:05:44 AM

For everyone who can't keep up with the news around here. You can always go to our Announcements forum on http://forum.crypti.me to get all official announcements. Smiley

I cross-post them over there every time. More recently I also began to cross-post the smaller announcements from us. Else you can also always follow us on twitter.

starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 11:39:38 AM

Starik, if someone were to run a full node on windows and try to become a delegate, it would be pointless. As soon as they became a delegate and were active and started missing blocks, they would just get voted out. So what is the point of supporting full nodes for windows? Full nodes aren't meant to be run by the average user. The Lite Wallet can interface with the delegates for anyone on a Windows box, but no one running an application, PoS, or otherwise would be running windows anyways.
Your argument is irrelevant because i never suggested to make a delegate on Windows. Tongue
Correct me if i am wrong. Roll Eyes
Lite wallet does not check blockchain or blocks or transactions and does not propagate them through network. It only connects to delegate nodes. Sad
While full wallet does. (as on the most other cryptocurrencies) Cool
If this is true and the network became only 101 delegates then this is very bad because it could be stopped by simple ddos attack. Cry

BTW, will lite wallet run DAPPs? Huh
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:14:13 PM

Starik, if someone were to run a full node on windows and try to become a delegate, it would be pointless. As soon as they became a delegate and were active and started missing blocks, they would just get voted out. So what is the point of supporting full nodes for windows? Full nodes aren't meant to be run by the average user. The Lite Wallet can interface with the delegates for anyone on a Windows box, but no one running an application, PoS, or otherwise would be running windows anyways.
Your argument is irrelevant because i never suggested to make a delegate on Windows. Tongue
Lite wallet does not check blockchain or blocks or transactions and does not propagate them through network. It only connects to delegate nodes. Sad
If this is true and the network became only 101 delegates then this is very bad because it could be stopped by simple ddos attack. Cry

i'd like to know that as well, will lite wallet have full functions ?
Passion_ltc

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:04:14 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 02:16:15 PM by Passion_ltc

Full Client on Windows

We discussed the full client on Windows between our foundation members and came to a conclusion. We will continue updating and releasing the full client for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The only difference for Windows full client is that it will not support the delegate functionality, due to the high time accuracy needed, that unfortunately Windows is unable to provide. All other features like syncing the blockchain and broadcasting transactions into the Crypto network will still work with all future Windows/Mac/Linux releases, making the Full node as the most safest solution for interaction with Crypti blockchain.

The Lite Client will be released for Windows and Mac OS in the future and is an addition to the Full Client. We will market the Lite Client for the mainstream users, as it is much easier to handle.

We hope that everything is clear now.

Passion_ltc

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:06:49 PM

i'd like to know that as well, will lite wallet have full functions ?

Please see my response above. Full nodes are still available for all popular operation systems. Just the forging part is not available on Windows machines.

Lite Wallets will be able to run Dapps, but not process them. More information will be available in the next weeks.

starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:13:36 PM

Lite Wallets will be able to run Dapps, but not process them.
What is the difference? Huh
MalReynolds
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:29:00 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 02:45:57 PM by MalReynolds

Full Client on Windows

We discussed the full client on Windows between our foundation members and came to a conclusion. We will continue updating and releasing the full client for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The only difference for Windows full client is that it will not support the delegate functionality, due to the high time accuracy needed, that unfortunately Windows is unable to provide. All other features like syncing the blockchain and broadcasting transactions into the Crypto network will still work with all future Windows/Mac/Linux releases, making the Full node as the most safest solution for interaction with Crypti blockchain.

The Lite Client will be released for Windows and Mac OS in the future and is an addition to the Full Client. We will market the Lite Client for the mainstream users, as it is much easier to handle.

Well, now I'm a little confused.  There are two separate problems running a delegate node on a home PC, not one problem:  time synchronization and network latency.  I don't know if Mac OS can do better time sync than Windows, but both will suffer from network lag.  So why not remove delegate functionality from Mac OS also, since it is not used in a server farm environment any more than Windows is?
Passion_ltc

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:34:23 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 02:13:21 PM by Passion_ltc

Well, now I'm a little confused.  There are two separate problems running a delegate node on a home PC, not one problem:  time synchronization and network latency.  I don't know if Mac OS can do better time sync than Windows, but both will suffer from network lag.  So why not remove delegate functionality from Mac OS also, since it is not used in a server farm environment any more than Windows is?

Well, Mac OS doesn't have the sync issues. If the uptime is bad, then the community will simply remove the votes from the delegate. But I will ask Boris, maybe we will remove this part from the Mac OS version as well. Smiley

Passion_ltc

Crypti Community Manager

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:35:09 PM

Lite Wallets will be able to run Dapps, but not process them.
What is the difference? Huh

We will reveal more information in the coming weeks. Wink

MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:40:32 PM

Starik, if someone were to run a full node on windows and try to become a delegate, it would be pointless. As soon as they became a delegate and were active and started missing blocks, they would just get voted out.

A few points.

First, stasDelegates 1,2,4,5,6 and 8 are below 25% uptime and still dropping.  They've obviously been offline for some time now and still haven't been voted down.  We've got six new standby delegates (cryptiNeo,starick69, btc, Intrinsic1, Intrinsic2 and China) waiting to get votes and replace them.

Second, I totally agree about the vulnerability of Crypti in its current form to DDoS attacks.  As I have discussed before, one solution is to split Top Delegate communications with Lite clients and their communications with each other onto separate IP addresses.  Top Delegates should have their own darknet where only they know the IP addresses being used for communications to new forge new blocks.
Litoshi

Activity: 700

Member of the Crypti Foundation Board of Directors

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:50:29 PM

Starik, if someone were to run a full node on windows and try to become a delegate, it would be pointless. As soon as they became a delegate and were active and started missing blocks, they would just get voted out.

A few points.

First, stasDelegates 1,2,4,5,6 and 8 are below 25% uptime and still dropping.  They've obviously been offline for some time now and still haven't been voted down.  We've got six new standby delegates (cryptiNeo,starick69, btc, Intrinsic1, Intrinsic2 and China) waiting to get votes and replace them.

Second, I totally agree about the vulnerability of Crypti in its current form to DDoS attacks.  As I have discussed before, one solution is to split Top Delegate communications with Lite clients and their communications with each other onto separate IP addresses.  Top Delegates should have their own darknet where only they know the IP addresses being used for communications to new forge new blocks.

Mal,

In the past hour I brought this up to the group, and updated our internal list for voting/upvoting the foundation delegates.  

One reason that the Stas delegates show low uptime is that the uptime is figured from the first block that the delegate forged.  In the case of stas, that is around 110,000.   we are now in 270,000 range.  Stas was offline for a few days due to a billing problem with Vultr.  Since he missed forging some 50,000 blocks, he dropped to about 14%.  It takes about 100,000 blocks for him to advance 15%.  He is forging around 100% now.

This is t change in version 021.  The uptime will be figured with the last X blocks.  Value of X is undecided, and depends on testing results.

MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:55:18 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 02:06:12 PM by MalReynolds

The foundation controls 11% of the votes, and the dev team has purchased another 20% of the coins since the IPO.  25% are in Bter, and another 20% are in other exchanges.  That leaves about 24% that is in wallets of inactive investors.  

I think these numbers are actually a little different, see : http://cryptichain.me/topAccounts

Bter is down to 18.5%, and holdings by the Foundation itself is down to 8%, Poloniex is 4% and Cryptsi deposit / withdrawal has been broken / frozen at under 1.5% for months (altho I still don't know its exact account number - can anybody supply that?).

Thus total exchange holdings are under 25% and two-thirds of all Crypti is currently in the hands of private individuals.  Do we know the current amount privately held by devs and other Foundation members?

MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:03:24 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2015, 02:49:57 PM by MalReynolds

One reason that the Stas delegates show low uptime is that the uptime is figured from the first block that the delegate forged.  In the case of stas, that is around 110,000.   we are now in 270,000 range.  Stas was offline for a few days due to a billing problem with Vultr.  Since he missed forging some 50,000 blocks, he dropped to about 14%.  It takes about 100,000 blocks for him to advance 15%.  He is forging around 100% now.

This is t change in version 021.  The uptime will be figured with the last X blocks.  Value of X is undecided, and depends on testing results.

This will be a valuable change and similar to what I proposed earlier about "current consecutive blocks missed" being a figure of merit that needed to be shown.  I still think this would be the best thing to show for making voting evaluations, not an "uptime" number that blurs this info by "averaging" it over "t".

Litoshi

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:04:28 PM

The foundation controls 11% of the votes, and the dev team has purchased another 20% of the coins since the IPO.  25% are in Bter, and another 20% are in other exchanges.  That leaves about 24% that is in wallets of inactive investors.  

I think these numbers are actually a little different, see : http://cryptichain.me/topAccounts

Bter is down to 18.5%, Foundation is down to 8%, Poloniex is 4% and Cryptsi deposit / withdrawal has been broken / frozen at under 1.5% for months (altho I still don't know its exact account number - can anybody supply that?).

Thus total exchange holdings are under 25% and two-thirds of all Crypti is currently in the hands of private individuals.

Crypty has been down since September.  I have several tickets sent in Sept 2, 2014.  I also have some XCR lost in transit from them that I still have not been able to recover.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:04:50 PM

Bter is down to 18.5%, Foundation is down to 8%, Poloniex is 4% and Cryptsi deposit / withdrawal has been broken / frozen at under 1.5% for months (altho I still don't know its exact account number - can anybody supply that?).

Thus total exchange holdings are under 25% and two-thirds of all Crypti is currently in the hands of private individuals.

Those numbers dont look top bad. How about the part that the dev team controls? Together with the exchanges, that still totals to about 50%. Coupled with inactive people, this is a massive chunck.
Litoshi

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:11:07 PM

Those numbers dont look top bad. How about the part that the dev team controls? Together with the exchanges, that still totals to about 50%. Coupled with inactive people, this is a massive chunck.

The dev team, which is hardly a cohesive group, controls about 20% of the XCR..... most of which we all bought from exchanges or in the IPO.  Some of that is still on exchanges. 

We need the inactive community to get involved and start voting for delegates.

Pages: « 1 ... 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 [526] 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 ... 610 »
  Print  

Jump to: