Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:03:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 [767] 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984377 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:45:57 PM

an hour ago I restartet my computer because NIS was not available. after that I tried to start NCC in browser and had a new wallet in my nem ncc directory böser dämon is the wallet called: B%C3%B6ser+D%C3%A4mon.wlt
and NIS is not available since then. Maybe I got hacked because how could be a wallet in my ncc directory, which is not my wallet?

Hi himmelsfaller! Sites like nodeexplorer.com expose your IP address. With this information anyone could try opening NCC over the web via http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8989/ncc/web/index.html.

Chances are someone accessed your NCC and created that new wallet. When running a public node, it's best not to have NCC running (running NIS with unlocked account is all you need to keep harvesting) or change its port to something unique only you know. I could imagine that NIS is not available because the same person specified a remote server (probably non-available one), which is why your NIS doesn't boot/refuses booting.

In NCC, go to Settings and see what is specified. Change it back to your previous settings (default is 127.0.0.1 and default port checked).

If you have harvesting activated, you can go ahead and close NCC. Then simply keep NIS running. It is actually kind of a flaw that NIS can easily be made unavailable simply via NCC's front page at this point. I wanted to point this out earlier but you reminded me. Hope that helps.

Can someone confirm the minimum required for a remote server setup for delegated harvesting

1- NIS running
2- NCC running
3- a wallet unlocked

from my experiences over recent days it looks like the NIS stops downloading blocks (so delegated harvesting stops on the local PC wallet) if a wallet is not open in the NCC on the remote server, but I'm not 100% sure.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:48:23 PM

So it would be good for the people who run the pool.

But why should people be interested in participating in a pool?

They would get harvesting fees without running a node.
mixmaster

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:56:50 PM

So it would be good for the people who run the pool.

But why should people be interested in participating in a pool?

They would get harvesting fees without running a node.
Yeah, they get the exact same thing when they don't participate in a pool but in any remote NIS. And since letting people harvest on a node doesnt take much CPU load, I believe this will be pretty decentralized.
mixmaster

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:59:32 PM

Can someone confirm the minimum required for a remote server setup for delegated harvesting

1- NIS running
2- NCC running
3- a wallet unlocked

from my experiences over recent days it looks like the NIS stops downloading blocks (so delegated harvesting stops on the local PC wallet) if a wallet is not open in the NCC on the remote server, but I'm not 100% sure.
A remote server should run NIS only. NCC should always run locally!

So once you have NIS running on the remote server and it is booted (manually from NCC or by entering a bootkey into NIS config.properties [but please don't enter priv keys as bootkey from accounts with funds]), you can connect to that NIS and start delegated harvesting.

Please also see this: http://blog.nem.io/nem-tutorial-list/
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:14:33 PM

1- NIS running
2- NCC running
3- a wallet unlocked

A remote server should run NIS only. NCC should always run locally!

So once you have NIS running on the remote server and it is booted (manually from NCC or by entering a bootkey into NIS config.properties [but please don't enter priv keys as bootkey from accounts with funds]), you can connect to that NIS and start delegated harvesting.

Please also see this: http://blog.nem.io/nem-tutorial-list/

Thanks for that answer! So on the remote server I open NCC in a browser, boot the NIS, then I can close the browser (which closes NCC?) and NIS should stay running?

On my remote server the NIS keeps stopping, but I'm not sure why.

edit: so to start the NIS you DON'T need to unlock a wallet on the remote server?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 11:32:31 PM

Yeah, they get the exact same thing when they don't participate in a pool but in any remote NIS. And since letting people harvest on a node doesnt take much CPU load, I believe this will be pretty decentralized.

You forgot about Sybil attack. People will connect to different NIS controlled by a single entity.
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 12:08:09 AM

I hate to be that guy again, but you need to sort out the issue with the /r/nem subreddit. I fear if the marketing train ever does take off that is going to come back to bite us all.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:19:33 AM

I hate to be that guy again, but you need to sort out the issue with the /r/nem subreddit. I fear if the marketing train ever does take off that is going to come back to bite us all.
and how will it do that?
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:26:01 AM

Developers control 65% of coins, I believe.  This is probably the worst distribution of POS coin

Rich List

https://forum.ournem.com/general-discussion/nem-rich-list/msg15666/#msg15666

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:31:47 AM

many coins tied up in multisig.

RIP fudders.  Go by dash or something  Cheesy
mixmaster

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:42:29 AM

So on the remote server I open NCC in a browser, boot the NIS, then I can close the browser (which closes NCC?) and NIS should stay running?

On my remote server the NIS keeps stopping, but I'm not sure why.

edit: so to start the NIS you DON'T need to unlock a wallet on the remote server?
You can do it that way, but I suggest to run just NIS with a bootkey in the config.properties (dont use a private key of an account with funds though, since it is not secure to save a priv key unencrypted in a file on a server). Set nis.shouldAutoHarvestOnBoot = false as well, it is a bug that this is "true" by default. If you boot your NIS with a proxy account of your account for which you already activated delegated harvesting, autoharvest will be fine though.

If your NIS keeps stopping (how do you notice?) you could send me the nis log.

Not 100% sure what you mean with "unlock a wallet", but probably "start NCC and log into a wallet" -> No, that is not needed to start NIS and boot NIS. Thats why you can enter a bootkey in NIS config.properties.

You forgot about Sybil attack. People will connect to different NIS controlled by a single entity.
1) That "pool" would have to setup quite some VPS then.
2) If people notice that transactions are not sent immediately, they probably just switch to another node...

There is nothing to do. The decision was made and it won't be changed now. r/ournem is the official subreddit, this link is everywhere (also in youtube videos) now and we are not going to change. Say "thank you" to okaynow for refusing the cooperation on the nicer URL (r/nem), but we have to live with it now. I also think its not a big problem Wink People will learn fast which one is the official subreddit, since okaynow is not able to put his link on all the other official channels (website, blog, twitter, facebook etc.).
Let's just stop discussing this "issue". It is over anyway.
okaynow

Activity: 546

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:50:15 AM

People will learn fast which one is the official subreddit

Off course they will, you are there to remind them XD

I would avoid playing the blame game, mixmaster.
Just focus on doing your part for the community and we can all go our merry ways.

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
okaynow

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:55:30 AM

People will learn fast which one is the official subreddit

Off course they will, you are there to remind them XD

I would avoid playing the blame game, mixmaster.
Just focus on doing your part for the community and we can all go our merry ways.

My point exactly, what do we need to do to remedy this?
Well, they could stop attacking the posters there

Nothing needs to be done, the community hs its independent subreddit and the core team has its own.
NEM has two so far, ideally more will spring up.

Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:56:44 AM

this slapping bitch fight needs to end.  Both of you piss off with it.
okaynow

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 12:59:37 AM

The NEM Community subreddit proudly presents:
The First XEM Giveaway:

The NEM community subreddit is hosting an off-site giveaway at www.reddit.com/r/nem to celebrate the launch of NEM and to give new users the chance to get their hands on their first few XEM and play around with it while at the same time promote XEM to users not affiliated with crypto.

The rules are simple:

1) Your reddit account must be older than 1 month.

2) Your XEM account must be empty. This giveaway is meant to give you your first coins.

3) Make a XEM meme or a post about XEM  in a forum or webpage NOT associated with NEM or cryptocurrencies.

4) The post you will link must be made at a time after this post

5) Post a reply in www.reddit.com/r/nem giveaway thread containing a link to your post or meme, your XEM address and a couple of words about your idea of what XEM is..

Welcome to XEM! Enjoy Your stay!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XEM holders that want to help with the giveaway can donate some XEM to the NEM community subreddit support address:

• NASMKE-QD226L-EAQSKL-IWU7WD-UF637B-BLHFLU-FJVP
or donate to users straight from your accounts.

This giveaway is sponsored by members of NEM community and the NEM community subreddit
Thank you for your support.

tweet and share the giveaway, do your part to help NEM grow organically.

NoirSuccubus

Activity: 353
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 01:55:52 AM

Why do we need 2 nem reddit pages?
dandruff1138

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:16:00 AM

From what I gather someone started their own NEM sub considering this is a community and not dictated by a single entity or special interest group, developers, or special interest group, want control over subreddit, owner/creator says no because this is the New Economy Movement that belongs to the community not a special interest group that has an agenda, developers hungry for control to fulfill their agenda start their own subreddit so they can dictate what happens there. Some "movement" huh? I have seen this with many coins, Want to see how this ends? Check out Reddcoin.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)

Coinsy

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:17:53 AM

From what I gather someone started their own NEM sub considering this is a community and not dictated by a single entity or special interest group, developers, or special interest group, want control over subreddit, owner/creator says no because this is the New Economy Movement that belongs to the community not a special interest group that has an agenda, developers hungry for control to fulfill their agenda start their own subreddit so they can dictate what happens there. Some "movement" huh? I have seen this with many coins, Want to see how this ends? Check out Reddcoin.

No, pretty sure the guy who started the first nem subreddit wouldn't give anyone else administrative access other than himself - so the NEM marketing team decided to make their own subreddit. It's all pretty stupid anyways.
dandruff1138

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:23:55 AM

No, pretty sure the guy who started the first nem subreddit wouldn't give anyone else administrative access other than himself - so the NEM marketing team decided to make their own subreddit. It's all pretty stupid anyways.

I think having a third party in place is good for trust. When the developers start to control the situation that leaves a door open for trouble.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)

rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:25:19 AM

Actually I am not sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about NXT here? You should try out and prove what you are talking about instead of postulating about NEM. If you are trying to find out answers on how NEM manages it then I think you are barking up the wrong tree in this forum. What you are saying is implicit to a fud. Why are you paying particular attention to NEM only when we are launched now?

I don't know much about you as I don't follow much about NXT and your history. From what I see, you have done some coding (or at least your group of programmers have), but to make statements like what you have done is pretty much demeaning upon yourself. I hope that is not what you are trying to say about yourself.  If you care to know more about NEM, it is not as simple as you think NEM is. For your information, like inverting a hash digest, sybil attack is a theoretical possibility. But like inverting a hash digest, sybil attack is somewhat nearer physical impossibility than a mere possibility.

Like the $42.5K you said as something that is doable but you don't have the money, this time, you don't need to spend more money to prove that your theory works. I am sure the NEM community will be very happy if you can stage a sybil attack on a constructive basis so that we can rectify the problem, take some NEM out and help you finance some of the 42.5K. Then when you earn some money, we can make back from the 3 times and put us back to even keels.

I believe it is more constructive this way than making short trolling statements and fill up the space here. I am sorry, but it is making me feel that you are now infamous for what you were.
Pages: « 1 ... 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 [767] 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: