Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:07:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984060 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:03:13 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but NEM is vulnerable when it comes to the following;

- "Whoever has knowledge of a private key has full control over the associated funds", which implies that if somebody is somehow able to guess your passwords he or she has only full access to your funds if they have access to the wallet file? So that's pretty safe right?

- Somebody who is able to guess your key has by definition access to all your funds? I think this is risky, especially with the coming quantum computers. I think it would be better if a key alone is not enough to hack all your funds. Or am I missing something?  Huh

If your able to guess that key then the NSA will hire you no questions asked and pay whatever you want.

I was talking about quantum computers...not guessing...

NEMs wallets are no more or less secure than other cryptos right now.
You wanna worry about something ? Worry about this https://thehackernews.com/2015/10/nsa-crack-encryption.html

That puts your bank account at a whole lot more risk than your NEM wallet.

That's some scary sh%t ! The US is acting like a global dictatorship..

It sure is some scary shit  Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:10:10 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2015, 12:34:46 PM by patmast3r

Nice.
Like I said, the wallet itself is encrypted but storing it in an encrypted container isn't a bad idea. Both worthless without appropriate passwords of course.
When you export your wallet you get an archive. Make sure to store it in multiple safe locations in case one becomes corrupted (as in disk failure or whatever).

b1007

Activity: 404
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:28:59 AM

Some more noob questions;

- The assett exchange is not online yet is it?

- Can you use the assett exhange for example to buy dollars or gold for XEM?

- Can you use the assett exhange to buy or sell call or put options representing currencies/metals etc?

Huh

IOW does the NEM platform have something to offer for the serious investor? Like a fully multifunctional investment/trading platform?

I like to speculate
mixmaster

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:04:04 AM

Correct.

That just depends if some trusted authority will provide a dollar asset or gold asset. But generally, yes of course, you can.

- Can you use the assett exhange to buy or sell call or put options representing currencies/metals etc?
Hmmm, I think the answer above is true for this as well. But I'm not into trading, so somebody else might answer this question more precisely.

IOW does the NEM platform have something to offer for the serious investor? Like a fully multifunctional investment/trading platform?
Well, of course you can use the NEM platform for trading/speculating. But imo this is not the most important use case at all. First of all it is a nice piece of blockchain technology, desinged in a way so it is easy to build further stuff upon. So it does not only offer an interesting way of using a blockchain based databases (for whatever use cases) with all its advantages which blockchains have compared to classic databases, but it will offer features we cant even imagine yet. When the internet was born, nobody expected that pretty much every person would walk around with a mobile device, connected to the internet 24/7, using it for gathering all kinds of information, communication etc. The first step is: the industry has to understand the potential of blockchain technology. And NEM provides a technology that is worth lookin at for the companies that understood the potential allready.
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:16:01 AM

Correct.

That just depends if some trusted authority will provide a dollar asset or gold asset. But generally, yes of course, you can.

Hmmm, I think the answer above is true for this as well. But I'm not into trading, so somebody else might answer this question more precisely.

Well, of course you can use the NEM platform for trading/speculating. But imo this is not the most important use case at all. First of all it is a nice piece of blockchain technology, desinged in a way so it is easy to build further stuff upon. So it does not only offer an interesting way of using a blockchain based databases (for whatever use cases) with all its advantages which blockchains have compared to classic databases, but it will offer features we cant even imagine yet. When the internet was born, nobody expected that pretty much every person would walk around with a mobile device, connected to the internet 24/7, using it for gathering all kinds of information, communication etc. The first step is: the industry has to understand the potential of blockchain technology. And NEM provides a technology that is worth lookin at for the companies that understood the potential allready.

Thanks a lot! I share your enthusiasm. I am not a NEM-virgin anymore! I just transferred 1000 xem to my account however only 985 arrived, it says there is 2 xem fee, but Bittrex must have also taken a large share then?

I like to speculate
tolikkk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

www.pumpmycoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 11:37:26 AM

Correct.

Thanks a lot! I share your enthusiasm. I am not a NEM-virgin anymore! I just transferred 1000 xem to my account however only 985 arrived, it says there is 2 xem fee, but Bittrex must have also taken a large share then?
comission 15 NEM at this transaction how max at value of Nem transaction... may be
mixmaster

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:46:35 AM

I just transferred 1000 xem to my account however only 985 arrived, it says there is 2 xem fee, but Bittrex must have also taken a large share then?
Yeah, obviously Bittrex charges you a 15 XEM fee.
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:29:02 PM

- "Whoever has knowledge of a private key has full control over the associated funds", which implies that if somebody is somehow able to guess your passwords he or she has only full access to your funds if they have access to the wallet file? So that's pretty safe right?

- Somebody who is able to guess your key has by definition access to all your funds? I think this is risky, especially with the coming quantum computers. I think it would be better if a key alone is not enough to hack all your funds. Or am I missing something?  Huh

If your able to guess that key then the NSA will hire you no questions asked and pay whatever you want.

You wanna worry about something ? Worry about this https://thehackernews.com/2015/10/nsa-crack-encryption.html

Indeed, and it's ironic really. A country that, thanks to their forefathers and them learning from their mistakes, their constitution helped further define liberty and prosperity.

With that in mind i can sympathize with those american citizens who are exercising their constitutional rights to bare arms, because it's purpose was a last line defense against a tyrannical government. Their forefathers even warned about a privatized bank/financial system and what havoc it would cause to the people, a system they (And the rest of the world) sadly live by today.

b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:34:15 PM

- Somebody who is able to guess your key has by definition access to all your funds? I think this is risky, especially with the coming quantum computers. I think it would be better if a key alone is not enough to hack all your funds. Or am I missing something?  Huh

Indeed, and it's ironic really. A country that, thanks to their forefathers and them learning from their mistakes, their constitution helped further define liberty and prosperity.

With that in mind i can sympathize with those american citizens who are exercising their constitutional rights to bare arms, because it's purpose was a last line defense against a tyrannical government. Their forefathers even warned about a privatized bank/financial system and what havoc it would cause to the people, a system they (And the rest of the world) sadly live by today.

I know a guy who emigrated from the US to the EU because of the government already...

I like to speculate
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:36:49 PM

I have some more questions;

- "configure the auto-boot setting"

How do I do this? I have to fill in these;

Node name

Account

What is my "node name" and my "account" is that my address or my wallet name?

I like to speculate
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:49:36 PM

I want to automatically connect to a local node when I start my wallet...

I like to speculate
Thingamajig

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:56:03 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 03:08:32 PM by Thingamajig

I know a guy who emigrated from the US to the EU because of the government already...

I get the sentiment, but what comes to mind there is "out of the frying pan and into the fire"

The EU's only claim to power is creating it's own currency (The Euro) and masquerading as a trade union. By forcing it's currency on politicians and nations (and thus, giving it value) it's expanded it's influence to now bully and harass nations to the point of what laws they should have and even, who should rule those countries. Greece is a perfect example.

The EU is far more sinister and dangerous, it empowers a few unaccountable, unelected people and is the biggest threat to individual liberty and democracy. Greece, Ukraine, all that tormoil is a result of their meddling. Open door immigration that they're forcing upon nations who cannot support it is going to result in further violence and mess that they themselves have orchestrated. And sadly, i predict it it'll be everything else except them that get the blame -- and i'd wager this is exactly whats intended.

In the end, it boils down to people exploiting a currency system that places huge power and influence in their hands. This is why not only do i follow Cryptocurrency, but i closely follow precious metals, as i believe most in the crypto sphere do. Because as long as the paper FIAT currency system exploits people, no matter who gets into power, the foundation will always be wrong and things will always become corrupted.
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:08:31 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2019, 11:48:34 PM by b1007

I get the sentiment, but what comes to mind there is "out of the frying pan and into the fire"

The EU's only claim to power is creating it's own currency (The Euro) and masquerading as a trade union. By forcing it's currency on politicians and nations it's expanded it's influence to now bully and harass nations to the point of what laws they should have and even, who should rule those countries.

The EU is far more sinister and dangerous, it empowers a few unaccountable, unelected people and is the biggest threat to individual liberty and democracy.

Initially the EU was set up to prevent the previous centuries of wars by converging sovereignty to supranational institutions. There is a constant tension between national needs and EU needs which culminates in the rise of right-wing political parties. Still I think prime ministers are aware of the central need to keep things together, this EU thing might not feel very comfortable for the average citizen, but it's perhaps the least bad situation. Nevertheless, I think there is no danger of one single tyrant controlling the masses, as long as prime ministers rule together I think there is peace. Political interests are more important than economic interests.

I like to speculate
Thingamajig

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:11:23 PM

The EU's only claim to power is creating it's own currency (The Euro) and masquerading as a trade union. By forcing it's currency on politicians and nations it's expanded it's influence to now bully and harass nations to the point of what laws they should have and even, who should rule those countries.

The EU is far more sinister and dangerous, it empowers a few unaccountable, unelected people and is the biggest threat to individual liberty and democracy.
Nevertheless, I think there is no danger of one single tyrant controlling the masses, as long as prime ministers rule together I think there is peace. Political interests are more important than economic interests.

Judging by what you've said there, i don't think you see the correlation between wealth and power. You can't have power without money and you cannot have money without power.

In addition, it's pointless if "politicians" rule together if they weren't elected by the people in the first place. Peace amongst politicians is irrelevent when it's the masses that rule.
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:14:27 PM

Nevertheless, I think there is no danger of one single tyrant controlling the masses, as long as prime ministers rule together I think there is peace. Political interests are more important than economic interests.

Judging by what you've said there, i don't think you see the correlation between wealth and power. You can't have power without money and you cannot have money without power.

In addition, it's pointless if "politicians" rule together if they weren't elected by the people in the first place. Peace amongst politicians is irrelevent when it's the masses that rule.

What I meant to say is that political interests (peace) always prevail over economic interests (economic growth), the former is generally considered more important than the latter. I am not quite sure why you think politicians are not elected in the EU? We still have democracies, or are you referring to EU level government?

I like to speculate
Thingamajig

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:19:47 PM

What I meant to say is that political interests (peace) always prevail over economic interests (economic growth), the former is generally considered more important than the latter. I am not quite sure why you think politicians are not elected in the EU? We still have democracies, or are you referring to EU level government?

You sure?
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:22:34 PM

You sure?

I am not so sceptical of governments as you are, you have however one point if you consider the fact that it doesn't matter which political parties get elected since their policy is almost always determined by circumstances rather than by ideologies...

I like to speculate
b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:24:56 PM

The EU is indirect democracy, I agree, there are however elections for the EU parliament and what not, but honestly nobody gives a ratz-ass about it...

I like to speculate
Thingamajig

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:26:23 PM

You sure?

I am not so sceptical of governments as you are, you have however one point if you consider the fact that it doesn't matter which political parties get elected since their policy is almost always determined by circumstances rather than by ideologies...

Well you should be really -- because as government grows under certain systems (Communism especially). Anyone can occupy it and take freedoms and rights from it's citizens.

b1007

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:49:59 PM

Do I need to keep my wallet open in order to get a "vested" balance?  Huh

I like to speculate
Pages: « 1 ... 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: