Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:51:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984380 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
xtester

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:54:25 PM

Could we not use some to get the nem source Code peer reviewed by leading academic(s) in the field? If we want to be serious about this.. We need to do things properly and that would be a great step in the right direction. We could then summarise the report and have it published across the media and no one will be able to discredit the work of the devs

Great idea, I also think some of the stakes should go to prominent/famous figures in the crypto space. Bitcoin devs, Sunny King, Ashton Kutcher (I swear that guy is into crypto), Joe Rogan, etc.

I think this actually goes against what NEM stands for in that it does not exactly promote fairness for all in the slightest. Giving away stakes to people simply because they are famous is not promoting the ideals of equality that NEM was supposedly built upon. If those people deserve a stake simply because of their name, then what does that mean for the rest of us? Sure, it may turn into a bit of PR buzz, but at the cost of sacrificing the principles upon which NEM was founded. I don't think the PR buzz is worth that much.

We can spread NEM organically simply by making a better technology and cultivating a fair and friendly community. These kinds of PR stunts are what cryptocurrencies that do not innovate have to resort to in order to spread, because they are incapable of spreading any other way. NEM is better than that. Smiley

Maybe celebrities shouldn't be involved, but what about people like Andreas Antonopoulos. If it wasn't for people like him promoting crypto, I think Bitcoin and NEM would not be where they are today. I think it's fine to give some of these people free NEM, and I still think it would promote fairness in the NEM ecosystem.

As we discussed many times, the idea with NEM is not that all should be equal, rather everybody begins with an equal opportunity but the outcome is free to be determined by each one of us, based on productivity and contributions. Indeed, the idea of giving some stakes away and strategically target instrumental people was also discussed. The reason we thought about doing it is not because some people are famous and they somehow deserve to receive a stake, but rather because some people would add a lot of value to NEM if they would join. In fact, important angel investors, entrepreneurs, developers, media people and other such individuals are necessary in order to really take NEM from the crypto space to the real world. So for example if instead of paying for press releases and media campaign we would be able to target and get Ashton Kutcher(which is a celebrity turned startup angel investor) interested in NEM by giving him a stake - he would be able to add a huge amount of value to the project because of his connections and ability to open doors for NEM which would otherwise be either impossible to unlocked or possible to unlock after a long periods of time. Consider only what some tweets from him could do for NEM - he has 16.4 mil followers, imagine how many people would hear about NEM. Indeed strategically targeting such people could be an effective guerilla move which could add huge value to NEM. Not because of fame but because of hyper-productivity and effectiveness some individuals would bring with them by joining the project.
gimre
Legendary

Activity: 866
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 08:14:31 PM

when is the launch?

I think you have claimed stake on AE,haven't you?

NemusExMāchinā
Catapult docs: https://docs.symbol.dev
github: https://github.com/symbol
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:44:08 PM

As we discussed many times, the idea with NEM is not that all should be equal, rather everybody begins with an equal opportunity but the outcome is free to be determined by each one of us, based on productivity and contributions. Indeed, the idea of giving some stakes away and strategically target instrumental people was also discussed. The reason we thought about doing it is not because some people are famous and they somehow deserve to receive a stake, but rather because some people would add a lot of value to NEM if they would join. In fact, important angel investors, entrepreneurs, developers, media people and other such individuals are necessary in order to really take NEM from the crypto space to the real world. So for example if instead of paying for press releases and media campaign we would be able to target and get Ashton Kutcher(which is a celebrity turned startup angel investor) interested in NEM by giving him a stake - he would be able to add a huge amount of value to the project because of his connections and ability to open doors for NEM which would otherwise be either impossible to unlocked or possible to unlock after a long periods of time. Consider only what some tweets from him could do for NEM - he has 16.4 mil followers, imagine how many people would hear about NEM. Indeed strategically targeting such people could be an effective guerilla move which could add huge value to NEM. Not because of fame but because of hyper-productivity and effectiveness some individuals would bring with them by joining the project.

I understand this point of view. People who can have a positive influence and actually work towards the goals of NEM are different from random celebrities which is what I am against. If you are thinking about this route, Mark Cuban might be a good person to try and contact. He has said before publicly that he believes in cryptocurrency as a concept, but that he does not intend to invest or support Bitcoin because he is certain that something will come along that trumps it, and that there will likely be problems with BTC since it is the first technology of its kind (he is right). NEM could be something he might want to jump on board with, and he would be a very powerful person to bring into our community for sure.

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
xtester

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:00:22 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 09:45:18 PM by xtester

when is the launch?

Just to clarify things a bit. Our dev team is working very hard to put everything together and prepare for beta. Things are looking good at the moment as we are expecting beta features to hopefully be ready and implemented sometime by the end of September. That is the time when official beta will start. Once beta features are implemented and beta begins, a very important period of about 2-3 weeks of testing will follow, after which, if everything goes well, the long awaited distribution of real NEM coins and launch of NEM will happen. Again if everything goes well, distribution should happen sometime between 15-22 October.

Please note, however, that the above information is not set in stone and could be subject to change if anything unexpected should happen.
lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:26:01 PM

when is the launch?

Just to clarify things a bit. Our dev team is working very hard to put things together and prepare for beta. Things are looking good at the moment as we are expecting beta features to hopefully be ready and implemented sometime by the end of September. That is the time when official beta will start. Once beta features are implemented and beta begins, a very important period of about 2-3 weeks of testing will follow, after which, if everything goes well, the long awaited distribution of real NEM coins and launch of NEM will happen. Again if everything goes well, distribution should happen sometime between 15-22 October.

Please note, however, that the above information is not set in stone and could be subject to change if anything unexpected should happen.

ooooohh an ETA  Shocked
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:32:32 PM

Nice to have a date finally... Thankyou..
Good luck to the dev's in getting through this final stage.

One question - can you post here and/or in NXTFORUM clearly when those who have acquired NEMSTAKE will be able to convert after launch and what this process will be...

The last posts on this I have seen were from before NEM was under 'new management'...

Thanks,..

xtester

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:36:40 PM

Nice to have a date finally... Thankyou..
Good luck to the dev's in getting through this final stage.

One question - can you post here and/or in NXTFORUM clearly when those who have acquired NEMSTAKE will be able to convert after launch and what this process will be...

The last posts on this I have seen were from before NEM was under 'new management'...

Thanks,..

Yes, we will post some official announcement once we have things ready.
Althoelzer

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:44:49 PM

when is the launch?

Just to clarify things a bit. Our dev team is working very hard to put things together and prepare for beta. Things are looking good at the moment as we are expecting beta features to hopefully be ready and implemented sometime by the end of September. That is the time when official beta will start. Once beta features are implemented and beta begins, a very important period of about 2-3 weeks of testing will follow, after which, if everything goes well, the long awaited distribution of real NEM coins and launch of NEM will happen. Again if everything goes well, distribution should happen sometime between 15-22 October.

ETA in end of october - that would be awesome!

Thank you devs for your hard work.

NEM - Nothing Else Matters
mrvegad

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:24:48 PM

everybody begins with an equal opportunity

This is true as long as you:

1: Have money
2: Already know about cryptos.

The same can be said about a company that releases an stock IPO, if you have the money and know about the IPO then you have an equal opportunity.

I would like to hear plans for NEM on how it will get average joe involved. Do you expect them to buy NEM when they have no clue what it is or how it works?
How will people in third world countries get NEM?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the NEM movement is, is it to help all people with financial freedom and equality of opportunity or just the ones that can afford it?
lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:39:34 PM

The same can be said about a company that releases an stock IPO, if you have the money and know about the IPO then you have an equal opportunity.

I would like to hear plans for NEM on how it will get average joe involved. Do you expect them to buy NEM when they have no clue what it is or how it works?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the NEM movement is, is it to help all people with financial freedom and equality of opportunity or just the ones that can afford it?

Actually for NEM you didn't need money, if you jumped in at the first step. And you had a long time for doing that.
mrvegad

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 10:45:02 PM

Actually for NEM you didn't need money, if you jumped in at the first step. And you had a long time for doing that.

I'm not talking about myself, you totaly missed my point.
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 10:46:37 PM

Can someone explain like I am 5 why it is a good idea to make stakeholders wait 2 weeks before they are able to trade with the general public? I am not trying to rustle any feathers, but I am a little concerned. Thanks everyone.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:08:34 PM

Come on guys. Let's be a bit more cordial here. A legitimate question was asked, in my opinion.

I'll give you my shot at an answer mrvegad.

I actually don't think everyone is going to begin with a 100% equal opportunity. To say such a thing would be unrealistic and is literally impossible under any system you could possibly devise (unless you constantly altered the total money supply based on the total population of the world and made sure to allocate the same amount of coins for everyone, at which point you would have a worthless coin). With that said, all we can do is try to give everyone the fairest chance possible.

I think one of the major aspects of NEM that makes this possible is the Proof of Importance algorithm. Bitcoin has Proof of Work, which has already been demonstrated to be an algorithm in which the common person can no longer take part in. Big, industrial miners control Bitcoin now and always will from now on (it is only going to get worse from here on out). Proof of Stake, which many altcoins use these days, is slightly more fair, but still greatly favors those who got in at the beginning and those who hoard massive amounts of coins. If you enter into any of these coins now or further down the road as time goes on (assuming prices rise), you will never be able to catch up to these big-time hoarders. Again, a similar problem to Bitcoin and other PoW coins.

PoI, which is unique to NEM, is arguably more fair than these other implementations because it gives anyone the chance to harvest blocks of NEM and collect fees, given you have a minimal amount of NEM (10k I believe? although I suppose this could be changed in the future if the price of NEM got too high). This system does not reward hoarding, and gives everyone a more even chance of harvesting blocks and earning NEM by participating in the network. At least, much better and much more fairly than any PoW or PoS coin can claim to.

That's my take on it. Anyone else can feel free to chime in with more. Smiley

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
dandruff1138

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 11:08:54 PM

Can someone explain like I am 5 why it is a good idea to make stakeholders wait 2 weeks before they are able to trade with the general public? I am not trying to rustle any feathers, but I am a little concerned. Thanks everyone.

where did you see this?

if you mean the 2 weeks between launch of beta and distribution of coins.. it is for testing the beta.. is it not better to have a 2 week test period before distribution to ensure that everything runs as it should than launch the beta with distribution at the same time and then find out there is a major bug and end up with the price crashing?? personally i would go with the 2 week wait.. 3 or 4 even if it is needed... we have waited this long.. is it so bad to wait a little longer to ensure everything runs smoothly with out hicups..?

SO the beta is not real NEM?

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)

dandruff1138

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 11:20:47 PM

where did you see this?

if you mean the 2 weeks between launch of beta and distribution of coins.. it is for testing the beta.. is it not better to have a 2 week test period before distribution to ensure that everything runs as it should than launch the beta with distribution at the same time and then find out there is a major bug and end up with the price crashing?? personally i would go with the 2 week wait.. 3 or 4 even if it is needed... we have waited this long.. is it so bad to wait a little longer to ensure everything runs smoothly with out hicups..?

SO the beta is not real NEM?

no.. real nem will be 2 weeks after beta launch so real coins will be distributed during beta rather than at the very start of beta.. we will still be in beta when real nem are distributed so yes beta will be real but just slightly delayed after the actual launch of the beta.

AH I get it!

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)

lordoliver
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:34:19 PM

I'm not talking about myself, you totaly missed my point.

In english you does not only mean you but also one or people.
mrvegad

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:59:38 PM

lordoliver - But if people don't know about cryptos how where they able to take part in the NEM that was given away at the start of the project?

amytheplanarshift - thank you for the civilized reply. I agree about POI, that is what drew me to NEM. I understand there could be no 100% equal opportunity, all I am saying is that why are people against giving away some NEM to those who don't know what crypto can do for them or to those that can't afford it? I am not talking about giving them full stakes, just a small amount.

What if some of the development funds  goes to making an online store that sells NEM t-shirts (someone already made some nice ones), usb sticks, keychains, coffee mugs, just some small items that won't cost much to get made and shipped out so people that are new to cryptos can see how fast and easy it is to use. I think people learn faster by doing instead of being told. I haven't put much thought in to this idea so I am sure there are some faults with it.

If NEM is truly a movement then we should try to help as many as we can.
Thingamajig

Activity: 497

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 12:10:18 AM

lordoliver - But if people don't know about cryptos how where they able to take part in the NEM that was given away at the start of the project?

amytheplanarshift - thank you for the civilized reply. I agree about POI, that is what drew me to NEM. I understand there could be no 100% equal opportunity, all I am saying is that why are people against giving away some NEM to those who don't know what crypto can do for them or to those that can't afford it? I am not talking about giving them full stakes, just a small amount.

What if some of the development funds  goes to making an online store that sells NEM t-shirts (someone already made some nice ones), usb sticks, keychains, coffee mugs, just some small items that won't cost much to get made and shipped out so people that are new to cryptos can see how fast and easy it is to use. I think people learn faster by doing instead of being told. I haven't put much thought in to this idea so I am sure there are some faults with it.

If NEM is truly a movement then we should try to help as many as we can.

What you said made me think;

Why not sell NEM merchandise, and include a wallet with a small number of NEM's?

This would depend entirely on the price of NEM of course, but surely you could sell T-shirts and other NEM related items and bundle in some NEM coins along with the purchase? By doing this, you're giving them a gateway into the currency without them directly putting FIAT currencies into it. If this meant that Tshirts and other such items come with a slightly increased price, i'm sure they'd consider buying it especially if it's a new currency of which may see the success Bitcoin did.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 12:27:22 AM

I have done some reaserch and i found that NEM is the best IPO because there are many people join the IPO and this is  the most fair coin Smiley i will join the community

NEM is a voluntary association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_association) not an IPO  Cheesy

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 12:27:31 AM

Could we not use some to get the nem source Code peer reviewed by leading academic(s) in the field? If we want to be serious about this.. We need to do things properly and that would be a great step in the right direction. We could then summarise the report and have it published across the media and no one will be able to discredit the work of the devs

Great idea, I also think some of the stakes should go to prominent/famous figures in the crypto space. Bitcoin devs, Sunny King, Ashton Kutcher (I swear that guy is into crypto), Joe Rogan, etc.

I think this actually goes against what NEM stands for in that it does not exactly promote fairness for all in the slightest. Giving away stakes to people simply because they are famous is not promoting the ideals of equality that NEM was supposedly built upon. If those people deserve a stake simply because of their name, then what does that mean for the rest of us? Sure, it may turn into a bit of PR buzz, but at the cost of sacrificing the principles upon which NEM was founded. I don't think the PR buzz is worth that much.

We can spread NEM organically simply by making a better technology and cultivating a fair and friendly community. These kinds of PR stunts are what cryptocurrencies that do not innovate have to resort to in order to spread, because they are incapable of spreading any other way. NEM is better than that. Smiley

Maybe celebrities shouldn't be involved, but what about people like Anreas Antonopoulos. If it wasn't for people like him promoting crypto, I think Bitcoin and NEM would not be where they are today. I think it's fine to give some of these people free NEM, and I still think it would promote fairness in the NEM ecosystem.
+1. Especially now that he has left the Bitcoin foundation http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/andreas-antonopoulos-leaves-bitcoin-foundation-complete-lack-transparency/. It is the right time to strike the metal.  Grin

I am strongly in favor of including the people mentioned above. Each one could bring huge value to NEM in the future and to some extent have contributed to the movement that led to NEM being able to be created in the first place. They would be awesome to be in our community.

As far as Ashton goes, I think we should not only give him NEM, but each one of us with twitter should send him a message saying we appreciate his contributions to technology and would like to give him NEM. If he got 1000 messages, he might even use his NEM.

Also, I think it would be neat if they were distributed by vote. Like on the NEM forum, there could be a thread of suggestions of nominees. Anybody could nominate any other person, then there is a vote, and then the top 5 or 10 get NEMs.  There is something fair about a process where anybody can be nominated and the community votes for people that have been positive influences on the field as a whole.

Pages: « 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: