Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:36:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984377 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sdersdf3

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:57:55 PM

A month but the process was made public weeks before it started.

What's the specific deadline - date - that these people had to register their stakes? Maybe that deadline date should be put into the subject header of all the message threads and the OP's.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:02:20 PM

I know this is hindsight 20/20 but one thing I would have done differently is that when the team sent out all those PMs with everyone's NEM tokens, to have also pasted in a statement saying something like "you have x days to register your token or you risk losing it" and a link to directions.

Well whats done is done, i guess its stakeholders responsibility too to check NEM forum and this thread for some information from time to time.

Agreed. Just mentioning it in case there is another part of the process involving PMs. I also like the suggestion of putting the hard deadline into this thread's title as well as on any websites dealing with token registration. Basically pick a deadline (if that hasn't already been done) and post it everywhere.
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:06:53 PM

I know this is hindsight 20/20 but one thing I would have done differently is that when the team sent out all those PMs with everyone's NEM tokens, to have also pasted in a statement saying something like "you have x days to register your token or you risk losing it" and a link to directions.

I left the link out intentionally as it would have been even more prone to scamming. This way we could tell people that we won't be sending links and keep them from expecting and naivly clicking on any links.

No specific date has been communicated because there is no specific date yet. We said it was going to be at least a month. We're preparing a lot behind the scenes and if that takes a little longer then so will the redemption.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:07:55 PM

The one thing the niggles me is the staggering amount of unclaimed stakes. I tend to think these belong to Chinese accounts. It was decided by the owners of nem that i month was it so i suppose thats it then.

Just something that happens.  NODE had like over 200 unclaimed stakes from a pool of 900-something.  These were given like 5 months to provide an wallet ID and despite updates and even some PMs didn't follow through.   What they did was give more coin to existing stakeholders and then did a controversial fire auction which created dolphins who then proceeded to dump (not the way to go).

You really think these 1000 or 800 stakes might all be Chinese?  I strongly doubt it.  I think a lot of them were just random people off the internet who were like "It only costs the equivalent of a lunch" but completely forgot by June (asset exchange) never mind October.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:10:11 PM

@void

If you knew there was a 1000 dollars sitting waiting for you would you not invest 5 dollars to set up a vpn to get past the fire wall or pay an it guy to do it for you or find a way somehow?
Apologies @ Kodtycoon if i new you were on the A list of Marketers-volunteers i would not have accused you of sounding like a banker.

Does any one have the link to when the original discussion regarding unclaimed stakes took place.
There is a considerable amount of info to sift through before i conclude to invest more or not.

The one thing the niggles me is the staggering amount of unclaimed stakes. I tend to think these belong to Chinese accounts. It was decided by the owners of nem that i month was it so i suppose thats it then.

A major irritant is what happens to those stakes now that we know the scale of the problem.
Is this open for discussion or has it been decided behind closed doors.
What i am trying to say is. The owners already have a reasonable amount of stakes for there work and on going work. They also have the sockpuppet stakes and all these unclaimed stakes coming.

Imagine offering a new shito coin to a community and saying " there maybe a pre mine of around
30/40/50 % or so but dont fret it will all be used to make shito coin fantastic" Dont think there would be a long line of eager investors.

This sounds more appealing

Completely Fair Distribution - Equal Shares for ALL
No arbitrary distribution. Decentralized. The most egalitarian coin. Show your love to NEM.

There is no blame for this situation and Nemsters should be proud of the success achieved to date.
But it may appear to some that the lions share of wealth seems to be centralized.

In a perfect world we could have a perfectly distributed coin with no unclaimed stakes. It's not a perfect world, though, unfortunately. So, the best thing we can do is try to turn a negative situation (having unclaimed stakes in the first place) into a positive one (using those funds to help further the development of the coin).

I don't think anyone here can say with a clear conscience that they are glad there are unclaimed stakes. I know I hope that everyone who invested in the beginning gets their stake safely in their NEM wallet when the time comes. Unfortunately, the crypto world changes at a rapid pace. Many people likely invested (since it was such a small, small amount so many months ago) and then completely forgot about NEM or maybe even gave up on crypto entirely. But remember, that was more than a simple investment. By choosing to reserve a stake in NEM, you became a part of this community. The goal of NEM is to have a community of people who actually believe in the ideas of what NEM represents. I don't think we are looking for people who just want to pump and dump to convert their NEM back into a few more BTC or, worse, fiat.

This is just my opinion but I feel like if you are not willing to be a part of the community, even after we are doing everything we can here (as volunteers nonetheless) to make it easy for everyone to claim their stake, then you forfeit your advantage of being an early adopter. Yes, we want to be accommodating to everyone who has an interest in NEM, but when there are thousands of people involved (and soon to be many more than that after launch), it is an impossibility to try and please every single person.

In these early days of NEM, we have an obligation as early adopters and believers in this movement to try and make it successful for the sake of everyone who is an early adopter who IS actively participating. If we bring in unnecessary risk to the system in the way of holding stakes for people for an unlimited amount of time, that is not fair to any of us and could itself undermine NEM completely.

Imagine, if you will, a situation in which NEM is worth $10/NEM. Suddenly a NEMstake is worth $10 million. By the time this happens, most of the initial stakeholders will have sold at least some of their coins off, and distribution will be much wider across hundreds of thousands if not millions more NEM users. By this time, there will be very few (if any) people holding 1 million+ NEM. Now suddenly you have people realizing they had a NEMstake, and we've been holding the unclaimed stakes indefinitely. Now you have people who have essentially artificially entered the market (because due to their lack of participation henceforth, they were not actually market participants and were not subject to the market pressures that caused everyone else to sell off or use their coins in order to distribute them to a wider user base).

So now you have people who never cared about NEM in the first place with more NEM than anyone else. They will either dump the coins immediately and take their multi-million dollar lottery winnings or, even if not they will have artificially high and unfair harvesting power due to their disproportionately high amount of NEM.

I just don't think it is fair to those of us who ARE actively participating and who will be building/securing the network from the beginning, to suddenly have to bend to the whims of stakeholders who come back to the party years later when they contributed nothing in the first place. To me, this goes directly against the principles of NEM in the first place.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Would love to hear others' thoughts about this as well.

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:18:16 PM

I left the link out intentionally as it would have been even more prone to scamming. This way we could tell people that we won't be sending links and keep them from expecting and naivly clicking on any links.

No specific date has been communicated because there is no specific date yet. We said it was going to be at least a month. We're preparing a lot behind the scenes and if that takes a little longer then so will the redemption.

Good point about the links. I'd already forgotten about that earlier phishing attempt.
nembit86

NEM ....best currency distribution ever ...!!!!!!!

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:25:21 PM

@void

If you knew there was a 1000 dollars sitting waiting for you would you not invest 5 dollars to set up a vpn to get past the fire wall or pay an it guy to do it for you or find a way somehow?
Apologies @ Kodtycoon if i new you were on the A list of Marketers-volunteers i would not have accused you of sounding like a banker.

Does any one have the link to when the original discussion regarding unclaimed stakes took place.
There is a considerable amount of info to sift through before i conclude to invest more or not.

A major irritant is what happens to those stakes now that we know the scale of the problem.
What i am trying to say is. The owners already have a reasonable amount of stakes for there work and on going work. They also have the sockpuppet stakes and all these unclaimed stakes coming.

Imagine offering a new shito coin to a community and saying " there maybe a pre mine of around
30/40/50 % or so but dont fret it will all be used to make shito coin fantastic" Dont think there would be a long line of eager investors.

No arbitrary distribution. Decentralized. The most egalitarian coin. Show your love to NEM.

There is no blame for this situation and Nemsters should be proud of the success achieved to date.
But it may appear to some that the lions share of wealth seems to be centralized.

In a perfect world we could have a perfectly distributed coin with no unclaimed stakes. It's not a perfect world, though, unfortunately. So, the best thing we can do is try to turn a negative situation (having unclaimed stakes in the first place) into a positive one (using those funds to help further the development of the coin).

I don't think anyone here can say with a clear conscience that they are glad there are unclaimed stakes. I know I hope that everyone who invested in the beginning gets their stake safely in their NEM wallet when the time comes. Unfortunately, the crypto world changes at a rapid pace. Many people likely invested (since it was such a small, small amount so many months ago) and then completely forgot about NEM or maybe even gave up on crypto entirely. But remember, that was more than a simple investment. By choosing to reserve a stake in NEM, you became a part of this community. The goal of NEM is to have a community of people who actually believe in the ideas of what NEM represents. I don't think we are looking for people who just want to pump and dump to convert their NEM back into a few more BTC or, worse, fiat.

This is just my opinion but I feel like if you are not willing to be a part of the community, even after we are doing everything we can here (as volunteers nonetheless) to make it easy for everyone to claim their stake, then you forfeit your advantage of being an early adopter. Yes, we want to be accommodating to everyone who has an interest in NEM, but when there are thousands of people involved (and soon to be many more than that after launch), it is an impossibility to try and please every single person.

In these early days of NEM, we have an obligation as early adopters and believers in this movement to try and make it successful for the sake of everyone who is an early adopter who IS actively participating. If we bring in unnecessary risk to the system in the way of holding stakes for people for an unlimited amount of time, that is not fair to any of us and could itself undermine NEM completely.

Imagine, if you will, a situation in which NEM is worth $10/NEM. Suddenly a NEMstake is worth $10 million. By the time this happens, most of the initial stakeholders will have sold at least some of their coins off, and distribution will be much wider across hundreds of thousands if not millions more NEM users. By this time, there will be very few (if any) people holding 1 million+ NEM. Now suddenly you have people realizing they had a NEMstake, and we've been holding the unclaimed stakes indefinitely. Now you have people who have essentially artificially entered the market (because due to their lack of participation henceforth, they were not actually market participants and were not subject to the market pressures that caused everyone else to sell off or use their coins in order to distribute them to a wider user base).

So now you have people who never cared about NEM in the first place with more NEM than anyone else. They will either dump the coins immediately and take their multi-million dollar lottery winnings or, even if not they will have artificially high and unfair harvesting power due to their disproportionately high amount of NEM.

I just don't think it is fair to those of us who ARE actively participating and who will be building/securing the network from the beginning, to suddenly have to bend to the whims of stakeholders who come back to the party years later when they contributed nothing in the first place. To me, this goes directly against the principles of NEM in the first place.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Would love to hear others' thoughts about this as well.

Great explanation of the situation, you have articulately described why it would be unfair on original participants to allow stakes to sit unclaimed.

NDZ4YPCKVKWAIIZBB5T7T5EL67N2XWPQODGGWIYT
amytheplanarshift

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:32:05 PM

@void

Great explanation of the situation, you have articulately described why it would be unfair on original participants to allow stakes to sit unclaimed.

To pre-emptively counter a logical argument against my above wall of text, the same thing could happen after people receive their stakes but at that point the chances of someone completely forgetting about their NEM for a couple years and actually being able to recover them drops dramatically. It's a completely different situation when a third party is guaranteeing your 1 million NEM for an indefinite period of time than it is when the 1 million NEM are sitting in a file on your computer.

And anyway, that is just ONE of the cons against holding unclaimed stakes indefinitely. There are many others that people have pointed out already as well. Overall, it just seems like a bad idea to me, even though I know for sure there will be some very disappointed people who fail to claim. It's just an unfortunate reality we are all going to have deal with, but it's just the nature of the beast.

starfishi

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:33:33 PM

I don´t ask for more or less, just this . . !

Thank you.

Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 05:33:57 PM

Quick question, what is stopping all those who received their stakes for free from dumping? In my opinion, there will be a MEGA dump after everyone receives their stakes.
sdersdf3

Activity: 280

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:34:43 PM

whether im on any list doesnt make me any different or better or put me above any other nemsters so your opinion shouldnt be altered based on my being on a list.. Smiley i am just a stake holder like everyone else on the list. i didnt mean to say anything against chinese people based on their inability to access btt. from what i hear, it isnt actually blocked any more. not sure though.

Still blocked, according to this site:
http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org/index.php?siteurl=bitcointalk.org

(along with other sites like google.com, while sites like apple.com and microsoft.com are not).
xinyichao

Activity: 247

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:44:21 PM

why always talking about ignor shares , some of them were cancle by dev team , including me , pay for btc but not get my share , so sad
amytheplanarshift

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:49:33 PM

why always talking about ignor shares , some of them were cancle by dev team , including me , pay for btc but not get my share , so sad

This did not happen to anyone who followed the rules.

amytheplanarshift

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:52:25 PM

Quick question, what is stopping all those who received their stakes for free from dumping? In my opinion, there will be a MEGA dump after everyone receives their stakes.

Nothing at all, but if there is going to be a "MEGA DUMP" like you say, why would they wait until launch to do that? Anyone could request a stake on the NXT AE and dump there if they wanted to. Why would someone who only wants to dump be waiting until launch to do so? I don't think there will be any sudden, excessive dumping at launch because it's not like those stakes have all been "locked up" until now. NEM has effectively been on the free market for months now.

TaunSew

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:54:27 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 02:04:07 AM by TaunSew

We are playing like broken records.  I already said other coins had a cut off and it didn't result in any controversy.    We already have Chinese NEMsters who've commented on here and on the NEM forum after China blocked BTT.

Before China blocked BTT there were other coins where many people missed distributions, like those 14 people in NXT (IIRC) or the 200 in NODE

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
dandruff1138

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

1000% ROI Masternode Coin

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 05:58:01 PM

We are playing like broken records.  I already said other coins had a cut off and it didn't result in any controversy.  You snooze you lose.  We already have Chinese NEMsters who've commented on here and on the NEM forum after China blocked BTT.

Before China blocked BTT there were other coins where many people missed distributions, like those 14 people in NXT (IIRC) or the 200 in NODE

"You snooze you lose..." Wow how New Economy Movement of you.

▄▄██████████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████████████████████▄
    ▄████████████████████████████▄
   ████████████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████████████████
 ██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ███████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████████████▀
         ▀██████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████▀▀
(.
.@75 c Stage 2.
)
███     WHITEPAPER      SLACK      ANN THREAD     ███
████     FACEBOOK      TWITTER      TELEGRAM     ████

▬▬▬  JOIN OUR ICO    From Nov 10th, 2017  ▬▬▬
TaunSew

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 06:02:08 PM

We are playing like broken records.  I already said other coins had a cut off and it didn't result in any controversy.  You snooze you lose.  We already have Chinese NEMsters who've commented on here and on the NEM forum after China blocked BTT.

"You snooze you lose..." Wow how New Economy Movement of you.

I don't recall putting three periods at the end of my expression.   Grin

I'm having little patience for this broken record playing at the moment.  If you want to nitpick on words.  It was a call for participation, how much participation is it if you can't even claim your coins within a month period and probably 5 months of warning before that?

Wulfcastle

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 06:04:43 PM

Nothing at all, but if there is going to be a "MEGA DUMP" like you say, why would they wait until launch to do that? Anyone could request a stake on the NXT AE and dump there if they wanted to. Why would someone who only wants to dump be waiting until launch to do so? I don't think there will be any sudden, excessive dumping at launch because it's not like those stakes have all been "locked up" until now. NEM has effectively been on the free market for months now.

Can anyone request a stake on the NXT AE? The basis of my opinion is the fact that the supply of stakes will be increased from 775 to 4000, and all those who will be receiving new stakes will receive those for free. Those who receive them for free will most definitely look to dump, as they are basically being handed $800 (at the current price) for free. This mentality has plagued all the "free distribution coins" of past such as ShareCoin, CommunityCoin etc. Admittedly those are shitcoins, but the concept remains the same.

I honestly do not think that the price will remain the same during this launch period. I'm trying to keep an open mind on this, so someone try to convince me that my opinion is wrong Tongue.
TaunSew

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 06:05:50 PM

What's stopping me from dumping?  If I recalled I paid like $6.50 something for my NEMstake.  Could had dumped months ago on the AE.  This is the case for most of the 3000 stakeholders who paid some amount between $2-$50.  Most of the 700-something claimed tokens were never put on the market but were claimed for security reasons.

I rationalize it as differently.  I paid almost no principle (like a Bitcoin buyer in 2009) and thus I have no principle to worry about recovering and thus no incentive to "cut my losses".  Multiply  that by 3000 and you get a lot of stability.  That's why Bitcoin, despite the chaos, has some stability too (due to all the 2009 / 2010 people who are still holding).

Of course faith is also a factor here.  If the stakeholders are confident about NEM's long term future then they'll refrain from selling.  Why sell now when NEM could be $10-$500 in a hypothetical $trillion dollar crypto currency market?

Wulfcastle

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 06:08:48 PM

What's stopping me from dumping?  If I recalled I paid like $6.50 something for my NEMstake.  Could had dumped months ago on the AE.  This is the case for most of the 3000 stakeholders who paid some amount between $2-$50.  Most of the 700-something claimed tokens were never put on the market but were claimed for security reasons.

I rationalize it as differently.  I paid almost no principle (like a Bitcoin buyer in 2009) and thus I have no principle to worry about recovering and thus no incentive to "cut my losses".  Multiply  that by 3000 and you get a lot of stability.  That's why Bitcoin, despite the chaos, has some stability too (due to all the 2009 / 2010 people who are still holding).

When did you buy your NEMStake? The lowest the price had been was around 14,000 NXT per NEMStake, and that was back when NXT's price was double what it currently is.
Pages: « 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: