Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:51:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 169 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmark  (Read 622155 times)
coinsolidation (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 02:14:49 PM

Full details of Bitmark, it's progress and the release can be found on the first post in this thread.

We seek input from potential adopters, user facing services, mining pool operators, and exchanges to ensure that Bitmark addresses all technical considerations they may have.

Current Status
We are beginning a 3 Day test of the mining pool part of the IPM Pool Proposal, in parallel we get to test run the IPM process and create the automated IPM Pool.

Another: Can I mine something with CPU or will it take eons ATM?

I understand that there will be possibility to invest in a mining pool from this document https://github.com/project-bitmark/bitmark/wiki/IPM-Pool#how-does-the-investment-system-work

Is there any possibility to invest/buy some Bitmarks right now?

It will take aeons to mine with a CPU.

If you would like to invest according to the IPM model you can do so right now, although it will be a manual process on my part and incur some trust on your part.

I have the stratum server set up for the IPM Pool and it needs tested.

You can donate to our BTC address 18rai2ichzUfXG6PVmUQLNPqBjtctnVRAD and provide me with a Bitmark address, I will then manually do the IPM process while creating the rest of the IPM Pool.

This will ensure that you get some BTM at a fair price, and help the project by allowing me to test the process properly and what has been built so far.

Alternatively you can ask if anyone will sell any, or hire a miner yourself.

Thank you for your interest in the project.

If I send you some BTC how it will be counted how many Bitmarks I will get for them?

It can be estimated each day based on the difficulty:

difficulty = 25.3615
required network hashrate = 907.7235 MH/s
maximum IPM pool hashrate = 317.7 MH/s

The exact figures can be calculated at the end of each 'days' mining, every 720 blocks. I will manually do the IPM Pool calculations and process.

Today's Estimate is 4788 BTM per $200, or $0.0418 per BTM, or 147.3 BTM per 0.01 BTC
Tomorrow's Estimate based on the IPM pool working at full capacity today: 4788 BTM per $270, or $0.0564 per BTM, or 109.1 BTM per 0.01 BTC

I am prepared to run the IPM Pool manually for 3 days, which places a theoretical hard cap on the total amount for a test run at $740 or 1.2 BTC maximum which should create about 14,360 BTM for investors and 750 BTM for the Bitmark Foundation.

There may be some variance in the exact figures, but at the end of each mining day the exact amounts will be reported.

Bitmarks created take a mining day to mature, so if you were to do this with me it would be roughly 24 hours from investment until the first days report, then another day for the Bitmarks to be mature and delivered to your account.

If anybody is interested in joining a three day test of the IPM pool as outlined above, please express interest and investment amount in this thread.

This is a full test run of the IPM Proposal which manually follows all details, the test is run on the already created IPM pool server, the real automated IPM Pool with user interface will be launched in 4-5 days.

Two parties have expressed interest totalling more than 50% of the first days maximum hashrate so far.

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:17:36 PM

CPU or GPU?

Scrypt, so GPU or ASIC.

Moving away from GPU's though since ASICs are becoming common place.
Black_Adder

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:42:36 PM

Hi was wondering is there's only one pool mining this?

also can i solo mine it if so what's the config for it?

one last thing why did you choose scrypt when everyone moving away from it because of the scrypt asics flooding the market right now?
schnötzel
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1041

Bitcoin is a bit**

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:44:00 PM

Wow! This thread is growing fast and very well. Thumbs up for the nice community and, of course, coinsolidation .

Just a thought: What about "sub-threads" in other languages? Do we need it? Do we want it?
Androidicus

Activity: 339

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:50:51 PM

one last thing why did you choose scrypt when everyone moving away from it because of the scrypt asics flooding the market right now?

Best read: https://github.com/project-bitmark/bitmark/wiki

Failure is success waiting to happen...
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 02:52:03 PM

1. Currently yes only one, others are welcome.

2. Yes you can solo mine. Simply define your rpcuser and rpcpassword in the config file, add rpcallowip as you wish, and set daemon and server to 1 if you wish. The allocation of variables can be found on the wiki. Bitmark has the same API and commands as the latest bitcoin release.

3. Why scrypt? is covered here

Wow! This thread is growing fast and very well. Thumbs up for the nice community and, of course, coinsolidation .

Just a thought: What about "sub-threads" in other languages? Do we need it? Do we want it?

Thank you.

Anybody can create any thread as they see fit. For related sub-threads with focused attention in English we have been using the Alternative Currencies section of this forum.

deepcoreotc

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:23:32 PM

Get awesome tasting all natural jerky products and help support the Bitmark foundation at the same time.

http://jaysjerkyandgoodies.auctivacommerce.com/ 

Androidicus

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 07:35:58 PM

Get awesome tasting all natural jerky products and help support the Bitmark foundation at the same time.

http://jaysjerkyandgoodies.auctivacommerce.com/  

Nice!  Grin

Androidicus

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:10:32 PM

I'm going to be devil's advocate a little now;

It's fair to say that the 'community' here are, to a greater or lesser degree, all involved in cryptocurrency in one way or another.

Now, true adoption is about people who, although they may have heard stories in the media (mostly about Bitcoin) be it positive or negative, have next to no knowledge about what they call 'virtual currencies', 'digital money', whatever...

Forget miners, developers, coders, spotty faced script-kiddies, thick skinned IT pros, speculators, whales, day-traders et all.

If one was preparing a presentation to a group of 'laypeople' from a broad cross section of society and commerce, to extol the virtues of adopting Bitmark as a useable currency 'of value', can we find half a dozen or hopefully more salient points that would form the bones of such a presentation?

I know someone who is preparing a crypto-for-dummies style paper and 'talk' that they want to 'take on the road' at some point this year in the UK. It might be good to have some considered content using Bitmark as a shining example to include?

Answers on a postcard please... I'm going to be AFK until tomorrow (who said good?!) but just thought I would throw this out there...

Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:19:55 PM

If you want to create a useable currency 'of value' for the 'average Joe' adopter ..
You must have a bullet proof easy to use wallet for payments and safe storage ..
It's all about the security and utility of the wallet ..
If you build it .. They will come ..

Triff ..

cryptozim

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:51:56 PM

Got my Blizzards yesterday! I now have ~2.6MH permanently pointed at Bitmark (currently at the pool, but I'm considering solo mining while the diff is low). I will still be mining other coins with my GPU rig, but will use it for Bitmark when there's nothing else I care about at the moment.

BTC: 15h26g3SUu6iXUi1phv5FHmASc5hDeGHpJ | LSK: 840098997497226041L | CSC: cMsbRGMLzu7Ss8L7Vv6osksUyt5P322uxS
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 01:05:10 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 04:36:46 AM by coinsolidation

Thank you Androidicus and Tiffen both for leading the conversation in this direction.

I will try to explain the best I can, what makes Bitmark distinct.

The Block Chain and Quality Assurance are Bitcoin's main technical strengths. Bitmark builds on these strengths.

Many alternative currencies have forgotten the Quality Assurance focussing on the Block Chain part instead, both are required, code must be kept up to date.

You will see that almost every service which uses BTC has to rely on another service to provide integration, from stores to alternative clients. Think about this: Stores use third party APIs and integrators. Clients like hive and electrum use custom APIs like electrum-server and bitcoinj. Why?

Bitcoin is very good at securing the blockchain, and not so good at providing access to it. Bitcoin's technical barrier is the architecture of the API, how other things access and use the functions and data available. This is a major block on adoption that has had to be covered by (sometimes untrustworthy) third parties.

Bitmark will address this by creating a second API. New services and clients will integrate with the new API, either of their own Bitmark Node or the Public API of Nodes on the Bitmark Network. Existing cryptographic currency services and clients will still be supported by the old API.

If we ensure people can integrate with Bitmark easily and directly, or the Bitmark Network of nodes without running one, document it, provide Software Development Kits (SDKs) in major languages, example code, and example applications and clients, then developers will create wonderful things which use Bitmark.

By taking this approach we can offer the best user experience possible, by allowing people to specialize and compete to offer users a better experience.

Why have one wallet which offers utility when we can have 500 alternative wallets?

Why force stores and business adopters to use fee based third party integrators when we can give them everything they need to use the Bitmark Network easily?

This is Bitmark's value proposition:
We recognise that others can do far more for users than we can alone, and offer users many choices instead of just one thing, so we will enable them to do this easily.
We recognise that the Bitcoin Core team and those supporting it can create a safer more stable core than we can, so we will trust them to do that.
We recognise that the Alternative Coins can offer innovation and compete to find solutions to common issues, so we will trust them to do this and adopt the solutions they prove.
We recognise that all of these points apply to every business sector, if people already micro trust certain services in every day life, then we will also respect and trust them to do this, and help them to ease the flow of money between them and others.

Bitmarks goal is not to dominate or replace what exists, our goal is to fit in with what exists. It is part of a world full of things, let it be used with as many of them as possible.

With that in mind, let us cover where we are with a simple plan.

Foundation
1. Engage people who are knowledgeable in the crypto currency community and are 'fair' players.
Constant.

2. Provide a code base that is safe and acknowledged as being 'good' by peers in the cryptographic currency arena.
Complete, maintain this.

3. Establish long term funding for Bitmark which does not rely on investment.
Initiated, Bitmark Foundation.

4. Ensure the network is safe and stable by having a minimum of three major pools.
In progress... miningpool.co, IPM Pool, we need more

Each of the following items progress independently on their own timeline. I will start each area, others will join.

Easing (Technical) Adoption
1. Demonstrate backward compatibility with existing crypto currency services and tools.
Pending... tools, electrum, bitmarkj, multibit, hive wallet, adoption by existing crypto currency services

2. Improve the Architecture.
Pending... data first, improved api, thin clients which use full nodes as their distributed servers.

3. Developer support.
Pending... SDKs, code libraries, documentation, examples.

4. Informative Data Powered Services
Pending... Consider blockchain.info, brainwallet, these can be created quickly and easily.

Ease of Use

1. Multiple Alternative User Interfaces (Many Wallets)
By 'Improving the Architecture' we can demonstrate how user interfaces can be built on top of the API, others can take our work and create alternative or more specific user interfaces for Bitmark.
Specialization with many competing clients offers the user more than we can.

To create this is not simple, we need to select responsible service providers and see what they need, look at the integrators and see what they offer, find what they have in common and offer that directly through Bitmark.

Our simple plan does not cover every detail, it is a simple plan to show us where to start, others will join and continue on this work.

If one was preparing a presentation to a group of 'laypeople' from a broad cross section of society and commerce, to extol the virtues of adopting Bitmark as a useable currency 'of value', can we find half a dozen or hopefully more salient points that would form the bones of such a presentation?

Far better to show them some useful things which use Bitmark, things they can use themselves, or already do.

Let's have many wallets built on Bitmark and competing with each other to offer utility.
If they build things on Bitmark, they will bring others.

Already we are on the fourth step of our foundation. Bitmark is very young, it is becoming strong. We have made good progress and we will continue to do so if we remain fair and reasonable with each other and share a common vision of what is ahead.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 04:08:43 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 04:37:18 AM by coinsolidation

P2Pool
TheDirector and I are testing P2Pool for Bitmark, and have it running successfully. Once we have tested further I will fork the repository, add Bitmark support and create a pull request to the main P2Pool github.

For more information on P2Pool see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool

Androidicus

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:09:15 AM

If you want to create a useable currency 'of value' for the 'average Joe' adopter ..
You must have a bullet proof easy to use wallet for payments and safe storage ..

Triff ..

Let's have many wallets built on Bitmark and competing with each other to offer utility.
If they build things on Bitmark, they will bring others.

>>> Thank you for that, Triffen - and consolidation(dev)'s response

Thank you Androidicus and Tiffen both for leading the conversation in this direction.

I will try to explain the best I can, what makes Bitmark distinct.

8<----- SNIPPED -------

Already we are on the fourth step of our foundation. Bitmark is very young, it is becoming strong. We have made good progress and we will continue to do so if we remain fair and reasonable with each other and share a common vision of what is ahead.

>>> Consolidation, thank you for this authoritative response! I have copied it out to a separate doc in order to digest it properly as time allows this morning.

This is indeed how the foundations are laid for progress...

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 01:12:20 PM

This is just for potential future discussion but this is an interesting post about anonymity that I thought I'd leave here so I don't forget to bring it up in the future in case other people haven't seen it yet.

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/29471/is-there-any-true-anonymous-cryptocurrencies#18096

I don't remember who posted it where(it was on here though I'm pretty sure) but I book marked it with the intention of posting it here later so I might as well just do that now lest I forget.
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 01:39:55 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2014, 01:56:36 PM by coinsolidation

EsteNuno, thank you for posting that link here, we must be aware of our future users needs, please keep the links coming.

>>> Consolidation, thank you for this authoritative response! I have copied it out to a separate doc in order to digest it properly as time allows this morning.

I hope it was not too authoritative as the project is very inclusive and relies on open discussion of each matter. Bitmark will not progress under a centralised dictator.

The wall of text is what is in my mind, I am fallible in many ways, and rely on all of you to check each step.

Decentralization of Supply and Distribution and Spreading out the Bitmark Network

I am very happy to see that hashing distribution between individual miners has balanced out well after only a few days. The original rationale over Supply and Distribution is proving to be reasonably sound.

We are currently too centralized with most hashing power at miningpool.co.

Under different threads here on bitcointalk and under dogemining on reddit I have sought community advice as to which other pools are stable, fair, non-multipools, non-switching, and not offering the facility to autoconvert to another currency.

1. xHash.net has been suggested and appears to fit this criteria. I have spoken to them about Bitmark and they have confirmed that they will add support later today or tomorrow.
2. P2Pool support is being worked on and will be ready today. Thank you to TheDirector who both suggested and started this work.
3. Solo Mining is also occurring and to be encouraged, Bitmark has been configured to offer less of a reward more frequently to facilitate fair distribution to all miners.
4. miningpool.co has proven to be communicative and stable, I'd like to thank ethought for his support since the launch of Bitmark
5. The Investor Public Mining Pool Test is ready to get underway as soon as the first investment is in.

Within a matter of hours we should have begun to decentralize our network hashing power, this will bode well for the stability of Bitmark.

If you are a miner, please consider dispersing your hashing power over the coming days. If any guides need to be written to facilitate P2Pool Mining or Solo Mining please let us know.

If you would like to support Bitmark or acquire some BTM, please consider joining the Investor Public Mining Pool Test which will give you the chance to do both.

Thank you to everyone for their continued support and input.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:27:50 PM

EsteNuno, thank you for posting that link here, we must be aware of our future users needs, please keep the links coming.

I hope it was not too authoritative as the project is very inclusive and relies on open discussion of each matter. Bitmark will not progress under a centralised dictator.

The wall of text is what is in my mind, I am fallible in many ways, and rely on all of you to check each step.

Decentralization of Supply and Distribution and Spreading out the Bitmark Network

I am very happy to see that hashing distribution between individual miners has balanced out well after only a few days. The original rationale over Supply and Distribution is proving to be reasonably sound.

We are currently too centralized with most hashing power at miningpool.co.

Under different threads here on bitcointalk and under dogemining on reddit I have sought community advice as to which other pools are stable, fair, non-multipools, non-switching, and not offering the facility to autoconvert to another currency.

1. xHash.net has been suggested and appears to fit this criteria. I have spoken to them about Bitmark and they have confirmed that they will add support later today or tomorrow.
2. P2Pool support is being worked on and will be ready today. Thank you to TheDirector who both suggested and started this work.
3. Solo Mining is also occurring and to be encouraged, Bitmark has been configured to offer less of a reward more frequently to facilitate fair distribution to all miners.
4. miningpool.co has proven to be communicative and stable, I'd like to thank ethought for his support since the launch of Bitmark
5. The Investor Public Mining Pool Test is ready to get underway as soon as the first investment is in.

Within a matter of hours we should have begun to decentralize our network hashing power, this will bode well for the stability of Bitmark.

If you are a miner, please consider dispersing your hashing power over the coming days. If any guides need to be written to facilitate P2Pool Mining or Solo Mining please let us know.

If you would like to support Bitmark or acquire some BTM, please consider joining the Investor Public Mining Pool Test which will give you the chance to do both.

Thank you to everyone for their continued support and input.

This is really good news. We should be achieving a good level of decentralisation soon.

Miningpool.co has been great so far and I'm sure they'll stay a major player on the network. I've been very pleased with them personally and find the site easy to use and effective.
Androidicus

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 02:53:11 PM

I have not quoted just too keep the 'volume' of text down a little...

1) Decentralization - this is very good news, I agree - miningpool.co has long been a favoured pool for me but the current situation needed to change. Excellent.

2) Anonymity -  whilst I understand most aspects of the argument for / against anonymity, there is a backlash in terms of the 'laypeople' I referred to in my earlier post. Here in the UK, 600 plus paedophiles were arrested in a massive action by the National Crime Agency in the past few days. These included doctors, teachers, serving and ex police officers, social workers etc. One of the points cited in the Sky News bulletin on the matter was that 'Many used virtual or Internet currencies to pay...' and of course referred to the 'Dark Net'.

The potential anonymity 'benefit' of cryptocurrencies appeals to many for perfectly reasonable motives - however, in the hyperbole of media representation and uninformed public opinion of cryptocurrency, many folks associate it with the 'underbelly' of on-line activity. I have argued the point most strongly to many that 'cash', which is of course thousands(?) of years old, has been the preferred currency of crime and corruption for as long as 'traceable' transactions came into being...

I guess that I am cautious as to the level of importance attached to the benefit of anonymity.

3) consolidation - Authoritative certainly - not dictatorial, in my opinion anyway!  All projects require drive, vision, inspiration and innovation. You provide these in abundance - this is already attracting the contribution of the community at whatever level each individual or group can contribute, and you welcome this. I think that is as inclusive and fair as one can hope for or expect. Onward and upward...

Smiley

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 03:02:28 PM

2) Anonymity

We can discuss this more in the future when anonymity tech gets ironed out more but while there is definitely a public relations downside that comes from unfortunate things like that, it's going to exist either way. Bitcoin was inaccurately reported as an 'anonymous' cryptocurrency for years and that label is not going to go away among the public anytime soon. So by association Bitmark is going to share that same label whether we have an option to send anonymously or not I think.

We'll watch and see how things develop with regard to public perception of cryptocurrencies. Lets just be thankful we're not named Darkcoin. Wink
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2014, 03:10:26 PM

2) Anonymity

We can discuss this more in the future

I agree.

For now it may be useful to extol the virtues of using the "coin control" features, as these let you choose which inputs (or addresses) are linked to each transaction. For most common cases, where you do not want Bob to know that you have sent money to Peter, or for anybody to know your full savings, this is sufficient, if a little technical.

For people who really want anonymity all they need to do is go off chain, on to another, and then back. This is simple to do for anybody who really wants to. For example convert DRK to BTC, move BTC to another exchange, convert BTC to DRK and send to a fresh address. Clean inputs. People have been doing this with Fiat for years to erase the trace, the same applies to block chain based currencies.

In my opinion it does not require a technical solution.

Privacy concerns however are fair to address, coin control and documentation/examples on how to use it practically, or multiple wallet support, may address this simply for the common person.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 169 »
  Print  

Jump to: