Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:52:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 169 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmark  (Read 622155 times)
coinsolidation (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 10:54:04 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2014, 11:05:04 PM by coinsolidation

One Week Old
One week has passed since Bitmark was launched. Here are some of our accomplishments since launch:

1. A smooth release with zero bugs reported on any platform.
2. An interesting and committed community has started to take shape.
3. The standard of discussion on the thread has remained exceptional over all 32 pages.
4. No Bitmarks have been sold, and we are not listed on any exchanges.
5. Multiple people have started contributing work, software, hardware, design, and ideas to the project.
6. Achieved a fair distribution of Bitmark to over 200 miners, with 70 on average at any time.
7. Network hashrate has been balanced between Solo Mining, two fair playing pools, and investor hired mining rigs.
8. We have introduced Bitmark P2Pool support to further decentralize the network.
9. Investor Public Mining (IPM) has been proposed, is being tested, and the proposal has had significant refinements.
10. 110,000 BTM have been created, and 1100 BTM have been donated to the Bitmark Foundation.
11. Bitmark's value proposition has been clarified.
12. The first of many novel plans focussed on adoption has been proposed.

It has been a good first week, thank you to everybody.

Is there still some room to acquire some BTM by investing in the IPM pool?
There is still room on the IPM Pool Test, 0.554 BTC of space exactly which allows us to run the pool for a full 48 hours going through two difficulty changes and see how the network really reacts to it's presence.
I have been trying to hold off running it until more people join so that we can do an extended test, and consider how to handle the occasions when the rental contracts drift in to the next mining day.

Ok, what would be the next step if I want to buy in? Thanks in advance

1. decide how much BTM you would like at production cost, it will average out to around 890 BTM per 0.1 BTC, or 0.00011500 per BTM.
2. send the BTC to 18rai2ichzUfXG6PVmUQLNPqBjtctnVRAD and inform me of your Bitmark address.
3. after 24 hours you will be notified of the exact amount of BTM generated on the first mining day in a full report.
4. a further 24 hours and you will receive your BTM from the first day, and receive the report for the second day.
5. the IPM Pool Test finished, and you receive your BTM from the second mining day.

Here is a the report from two shorter tests already carried out.
The total amount of space remaining for the test is 0.554 BTC.

UPDATE: The IPM Pool test is now full, please do not send any BTC, if you do I will treat it as a donation, use it to create some bitmarks and give them to all the people who have helped (and maybe buy a beer).

Bitmark (reputation+money) : Bitmark v0.9.4 (release)
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptozim

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:45:34 AM

3. The standard of discussion on the thread has remained exceptional over all 32 pages.

I completely agree, and this has been my biggest surprise so far.

BTC: 15h26g3SUu6iXUi1phv5FHmASc5hDeGHpJ | LSK: 840098997497226041L | CSC: cMsbRGMLzu7Ss8L7Vv6osksUyt5P322uxS
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 03:46:56 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 04:40:02 AM by coinsolidation

The results of the Second Round of IPM testing have been distributed.
Code:
32.0008 BTM to Bitmark Foundation bQmnzVS5M4bBdZqBTuHrjnzxHS6oSUz6cG
304.00 BTM to bDz5HR4xQCKsXw97riGN5yCss7FBaEncQ6
304.00 BTM to bYBJ77hXNiBBzLhaRZgpsDMZd3qZ3hnzi3
Transaction fee: 0.0005 BTM
Net amount: 640.0013 BTM
Transaction ID: 28a10c8775a8cf7ac19726f7633ee8b56688bbacf01705f43197ec221aa28e15

The final two rounds begun some hours ago.

Adoption
Creating GetMarked will be enjoyable, I feel it is something my friends and family would use.

Reputation systems such as scores, karma, and likes have proven successful, Marks are a distributed reputation system which can follow a user around the web, and also real life. The novel part is that they are backed by currency, they are literally currency, the more the marking system is used the higher the value of each single mark. This adds a layer of competition and incentivization for users, they will compete for marks and watch the value rise. Natural milestones exist, to get 1000 Marks, and later 100, adoption milestones where a mark is worth a cent, then ten. Eventually marking something could be synonymous with paying for something. Marks are to be earned, each mark earned by an individual adds value to all.

Consider marks to be spendable karma, an amusing post on a social network could pay for your coffee, marking a video of the crisis in syria could pay for aid on the ground, marking an article about a mistreated animal could pay for it's shelter, and marking this idea could pay for it's creation.

If I can explain it's far reaching impact in under a minute, then getmarked has merit and should be a priority for our project.

I seek the communities input on some points regarding the above, please take the time to read it has significant bearing on Bitmark. Remembering that a 'Mark' is a unit of our currency, 0.001 BTM.

1. This project requires a domain name, I feel it will need to be short, do you have any suggestions? remembering that this will appear almost distinct from bitmark.

2. The process of marking must be as easy as possible for your friends and family, there are technical limitations on facebook / twitter / reddit which constrain our approach, urls are key, hidden behind a button when possible. Technical input on what we may reasonably do on each specific service is required.

3. Care must be taken to balance different communities of content creators and curators, whilst acknowledging that we must start somewhere that is not within the crypto community. Each Mark will have limited value to begin, so it should be considered more as fun or reputation rather than payment, yet still earned.

We can provide things which look nice for anybody with their own website, or blog, via plugins, widgets, and code snippets. Social platforms can use an url until later. Can we identify some good places/communities in which to start?

Some designers and developers have offered to help, and two servers have been donated to this side project. It has been a quiet, but positive response.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:37:05 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 03:55:21 PM by Este Nuno

Is it possible that there is a bot that crawls the web to find domain names that are not registered and register them? Seems plausible.

Like, *edited out*  is taken already. But if it wasn't, I wonder if it could get poached from me writing it there.

Anyway,

some domain suggestions:

*edited out*
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:58:56 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 07:26:09 AM by coinsolidation

IPM Clarifications
IPM doesn't define Bitmark, it's entirely optional.
The only goal of it is to balance the interests of people through the growth period over the first year or so, we expect it to naturally phase out as investor-miners either hold or move to being miners.
Over time we expect it to be used on an as needed basis, where if the network comes under attack investors can show a vote of confidence by stabilizing the network, securing their investment, and acquiring some more bitmarks fairly in the process.
There is a hard cap on the donation to the Bitmark Foundation, the goal is a total of 70,000 BTM, 0.250% of the total supply to be minted.

Put another way, IPM is a way of managing the crypto community over the first year. It allows us to get the usual issues out of the way to concentrate on adoption.

Is it possible that there is a bot that crawls the web to find domain names that are not registered and register them? Seems plausible.

getmarked.org

Yes, I actually created one for a contract some years ago.

getmarked.org, how did I miss that? I am happy with that, perfect in fact. Thank you.

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 08:50:33 AM

Happy to see the advancements, been difficult finding time for everything

One thing about domains, they should have been registered before the project started. If not, whatever domains needed in the future [Foundation, Forum] should be registered ASAP

I regularly check domain industry forums and nowadays they have cryptonames subsections where they try to sqaut every new currency related domains.

Also they shouldn't be debated in public, better do it in somewhere private
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:01:47 AM

One thing about domains, they should have been registered before the project started. If not, whatever domains needed in the future [Foundation, Forum] should be registered ASAP

I regularly check domain industry forums and nowadays they have cryptonames subsections where they try to sqaut every new currency related domains.

This is very right. As a former domain investor I strongly suggest dev to listen this advice.

Androidicus

Activity: 339

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:08:25 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 09:21:09 AM by Androidicus

Absolutely 100% agree with 'shouldn't be debated in public' - unfortunately, although it goes against the community ethos, it is not the community we need to worry about!

I have registered 100s, possibly over 1000, domains since the late 90's where I have seen an opportunity... and domainers will trawl every source of inspiration they can - constantly looking for trends etc.

I have PMd consolidation with another possibility.

Just one other point on domains, and I do not wish to 'teach grandmother to suck eggs' or preach to the converted, but:

When researching potential domains it is prudent to take a peek at any sites that might exist on the top TLDs. I only say this as it is often the case that 'speculative' squatting will mean that the majority of domains will just be Sedo Parked, 'This Domain May Be For Sale' notice, be a default ISP index page, or plain dead...

However, having recently had to deal with a potential 'passing off' action (completely unfounded btw) it makes sense to check that if the .net or .org is available, the .com isn't live and conducting a business of similar enough nature whereby they would have grounds for potential action...

Failure is success waiting to happen...
Zandinga

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:42:25 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 12:39:56 PM by Zandinga

Another 3 awesome pages on this thread, to the step forward and the consolidation of our coin. Great!

I was away for the weekend and I couldn't participate on the IPM round tests because my funds weren't made avaiable on time. So I've rent some rigs and put myself mining some Bitmarks at the regular pools. Later on I'll have about 200 BTM on my wallet Smiley

I don't know why but both pools (miningpool.co and xhash.net) seem to give scattered hashrate results and the true is that almost (if not all) the rigs I've rent worked way below of the announced hash/s/day. So, I'll have to make the math to get the real production cost of my experience and compare them to the results of the IPM test rounds.

About the 'miners addenda' to the IPM Pool terms, and if the numbers are the ones stated on the post, it may be globally interesting. Well, for the miners is always a good deal. For the investors, depend if the production cost is kept low and the 96%/4% will pay the 8 extra hours the rigs will be running 'for the house', and still present a roughly equal returns as if they were rented for 24H at 0.001. For the whole Bitmark project I'm sure this will be very good if we can gather our own group of honest miners and implement IPM like this and get the right numbers that balance all the interests.

The GetMarked thing is something we should put some efforts right away. It's not only a good idea - it's 'just' the future of crypto... I've watched some talks by cryptocurrency gurus (and other scientists that are doing investigation about this matter) and what comes to attention regarding the adoption of digital money is: "trust and credibility", "focused on/supervised by the community", "more then call it 'money' it should be known as a reward system".

'you click something; you do something = you get marked => you are rewarded'. Nowadays, that's how things get value, presence, relevance. The more badges, likes, subs, marks you have more popular and relevant you are - That's how it already works everywhere. So what's been missing? Imo, what's been missing is the acknowlegment of the importance of this method of adoption. And implement it.

Another thing is, this will ease the marketing of the coin. It's much more easy to make people to adopt a reward system then to 'sell' the idea of use a new crypto currency. Much more!

(There are some other communities working on this aswel. So lets jump on asap.)
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 02:45:46 PM

bitmark.co is registered.
bitmark.foundation is registered.
a domain for getmarked is not yet registered, we will need to find the budget as bitmark has none.

I am comfortable discussing domains publicly for now. We move fast on this thread, by the end of the day we may have the domain bought, hosted, and being developed.
Thank you for your words of warning, I am aware of the practises of the domain name industry, let us not worry, open discussion to find the right one is more important.

The GetMarked thing is something we should put some efforts right away. It's not only a good idea - it's 'just' the future of crypto... I've watched some talks by cryptocurrency gurus (and other scientists that are doing investigation about this matter) and what comes to attention regarding the adoption of digital money is: "trust and credibility", "focused on/supervised by the community", "more then call it 'money' it should be known as a reward system".

'you click something; you do something = you get marked => you are rewarded'. Nowadays, that's how things get value, presence, relevance. The more badges, likes, subs, marks you have more popular and relevant you are - That's how it already works everywhere. So what's been missing? Imo, what's been missing is the acknowlegment of the importance of this method of adoption. And implement it.

Another thing is, this will ease the marketing of the coin. It's much more easy to make people to adopt a reward system then to 'sell' the idea of use a new crypto currency. Much more!

It is good that we have a shared understanding of the fundamental parts so early on, this bodes well.

Today I will write what I feel has been discussed, as a starting point for us all to adapt and agree.

GetMarked is only one string in our bow, it will be taking shape by the end of the week and ready to test and play with soon after. We are fortunate that we can move quickly with very little 'noise', we have the term 'Mark' as a unit of currency, our foundation is balanced in all respects, and we have many people who want to join in.

82ndabnmedic

Activity: 247

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:39:18 PM

bitmark.co is registered.
bitmark.foundation is registered.
a domain for getmarked is not yet registered, we will need to find the budget as bitmark has none.

I am comfortable discussing domains publicly for now. We move fast on this thread, by the end of the day we may have the domain bought, hosted, and being developed.
Thank you for your words of warning, I am aware of the practises of the domain name industry, let us not worry, open discussion to find the right one is more important.

It is good that we have a shared understanding of the fundamental parts so early on, this bodes well.

Today I will write what I feel has been discussed, as a starting point for us all to adapt and agree.

GetMarked is only one string in our bow, it will be taking shape by the end of the week and ready to test and play with soon after. We are fortunate that we can move quickly with very little 'noise', we have the term 'Mark' as a unit of currency, our foundation is balanced in all respects, and we have many people who want to join in.

We do need to work on Budget Proposals for the different facets of Bitmark. In addition, how much BTC is required to register the domain? I will contribute what I can, just let me know what the minimum requirements are.

CISSP | PMP | CEH

Bitmark: Project Manager & PR Coordinator

BTC: 1FEi8MSP3ccoqLah8EcxfGZVHUViEmQfvQ

BTM: bNidDXnRu5fuD8Th7cPFh7jnPdyAhMh7Nr
Juston Point

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:59:13 PM

Just want to think the person who rented our miner. Thank for showing us the future. As soon as there done they will become part of the community..

Juston Point, and all fair miners.

I have been speaking to a group of syndicate miners, I think we have a solution which will help all of you financially, and our growing community.

After checking the details I will propose it here soon.

Sounds good.. the ebay account I use is muaddib525  hopefully it was you that used us if not please feel free to..
coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:14:13 PM

We do need to work on Budget Proposals for the different facets of Bitmark. In addition, how much BTC is required to register the domain? I will contribute what I can, just let me know what the minimum requirements are.

This is an issue which is quickly having an impact on me personally. Bitmark was started with the intention of balancing my time between Bitmark, a small amount of paid work, and family life over the first year.
Bitmark has grown much quicker and faster than I anticipated and the other two are suffering badly as a consequence.
Momentum on this project feels very important to maintain.

I have discussed this in IRC and something has been proposed.

Keep the main channel of bitmark development and support under the model of unpaid work which earns value over time, things like Bitmark, Pfennig, IPM Pool, electrum client, block chain explorers and so on.
Crowd fund side projects such as 'GetMarked' which focus on adoption.
This allows me to work on bitmark full time over the first year, covers resource requirements, and caters for anybody else who wants to join the specific side project.
The crowd funding allows us to gauge whether a side project is worth doing.
Achieving the budget allows us to put full effort in to the rapid development of the specific side project.
A portion of the budget (20%) would be used to mine bitmarks and distribute them to the funders.
The side project itself would increase adoption, earn value for bitmark, and remunerate those funding by the BTM they hold.

As a practical example, 8 BTC could ensure GetMarked's success, 6 BTC would cover all of my time for a full month, allow for budget of resources, and allow to tip the people who help. The 2 BTC would generate roughly 16,000 BTM to distribute to funders.

As Bitmark grows, this approach could be used for each adoption based side project whether it is me leading it or another community member, and until such a time that the Bitmark Foundation pays for all these things with BTM directly.

I would appreciate any feedback that can be given, Bitmark progress could be far more rapid than it currently is if basic budgeting constraints were not an issue.

Some users expressed this as a worry before Bitmark began, and tried to convince me to do an IPO, even pledging large amounts to it. I refused the offer, and would do the same again. This perhaps feels more balanced, and earned.

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:31:14 PM

This is an issue which is quickly having an impact on me personally. Bitmark was started with the intention of balancing my time between Bitmark, a small amount of paid work, and family life over the first year.
Bitmark has grown much quicker and faster than I anticipated and the other two are suffering badly as a consequence.
Momentum on this project feels very important to maintain.

I have discussed this in IRC and something has been proposed.

Keep the main channel of bitmark development and support under the model of unpaid work which earns value over time, things like Bitmark, Pfennig, IPM Pool, electrum client, block chain explorers and so on.
Crowd fund side projects such as 'GetMarked' which focus on adoption.
This allows me to work on bitmark full time over the first year, covers resource requirements, and caters for anybody else who wants to join the specific side project.
The crowd funding allows us to gauge whether a side project is worth doing.
Achieving the budget allows us to put full effort in to the rapid development of the specific side project.
A portion of the budget (20%) would be used to mine bitmarks and distribute them to the funders.
The side project itself would increase adoption, earn value for bitmark, and remunerate those funding by the BTM they hold.

As a practical example, 8 BTC could ensure GetMarked's success, 6 BTC would cover all of my time for a full month, allow for budget of resources, and allow to tip the people who help. The 2 BTC would generate roughly 16,000 BTM to distribute to funders.

As Bitmark grows, this approach could be used for each adoption based side project whether it is me leading it or another community member, and until such a time that the Bitmark Foundation pays for all these things with BTM directly.

I would appreciate any feedback that can be given, Bitmark progress could be far more rapid than it currently is if basic budgeting constraints were not an issue.

Some users expressed this as a worry before Bitmark began, and tried to convince me to do an IPO, even pledging large amounts to it. I refused the offer, and would do the same again. This perhaps feels more balanced, and earned.

You could use Bitcoin crowdfunding services like https://bitcoinstarter.com/ or http://coinfunder.com/browse or even both of them for that purpose Smiley
That would also attract more attention to Bitmark itself.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 08:40:29 PM

You could use Bitcoin crowdfunding services like https://bitcoinstarter.com/ or http://coinfunder.com/browse or even both of them for that purpose Smiley

I wholeheartedly agree, to reach out to other communities and bring people in is always our primary goal.

We do not want to become a community of people swapping money between ourselves, it is clear where that ends up.

To bring in one potential adopter or somebody to the discussion, that is as more valuable than any funding could be.

82ndabnmedic

Activity: 247

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:22:01 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, to reach out to other communities and bring people in is always our primary goal.

We do not want to become a community of people swapping money between ourselves, it is clear where that ends up.

To bring in one potential adopter or somebody to the discussion, that is as more valuable than any funding could be.

OK, well then lets move in this direction. I agree that Crowdfunding Bitmark's Side Projects will provide a good metric by which to gauge public interest.

We could also consider RocketHub.com.
- Funds donated through RocketHub are given to the project, regardless if the project meets its monetary goals.
- Also noteworthy, RocketHub's new partnership with A&E could potentially magnify Bitmarks exposure outside of the crypto community. (This appears to be inline with Bitmarks long term Strategic Vision)

CISSP | PMP | CEH

Bitmark: Project Manager & PR Coordinator

BTC: 1FEi8MSP3ccoqLah8EcxfGZVHUViEmQfvQ

BTM: bNidDXnRu5fuD8Th7cPFh7jnPdyAhMh7Nr
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:52:46 PM

If you would bold and state it that for example 20-30% of donator fund would be used for mining Bitmark and he/she would get them in return then it wouldn't be just a fund, but also an investment.

Zandinga

Activity: 39

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:13:07 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 10:39:19 PM by Zandinga

OK, well then lets move in this direction. I agree that Crowdfunding Bitmark's Side Projects will provide a good metric by which to gauge public interest.

- Funds donated through RocketHub are given to the project, regardless if the project meets its monetary goals.
- Also noteworthy, RocketHub's new partnership with A&E could potentially magnify Bitmarks exposure outside of the crypto community. (This appears to be inline with Bitmarks long term Strategic Vision)

I greatly support this iniciative and I'll do all I can to help it go through. I'm sure we're doing the right steps and tho still capable to throw our eyes beyond the horizon...

About those platforms, I don't have a valuable oppinion because I've never used one before. I'm sure some of you guys will choose the right one for the purpose.

I'm interested and excited about beeing one of the funders (or investor) and contribute for the success of GetMarked if the community choose to start with it as a side-project. So lets think about the real budget numbers and begin to draw the plan Smiley Maybe spme pf you guys come with some concrete proposal we can discuss...
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:20:59 PM

Considering avarage cost of renting mining rigs this coin has now about 9-10 BTC market cap.

coinsolidation (OP)

Bitmark Developer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

Rockethub.com is very good, it is a shame we do not have an active crypto equivalent. We should put that on our list of side projects, focussed at the same user base, they can pay with fiat and the project can receive bitmarks. The Bitmark Foundation could also sponsor projects which it felt had merit, or give them what is needed to reach their target.

For now I feel we are too immature, the work we would have to do on Bitmark's website, presentation, documentation, and community would be more than to create a working version of GetMarked.

This thread is interesting if you are following it yet fractured and expensive to read if you are not, this serves us well on the forum.
To bring new people from something as pleasant, modern, and creative as rockethub to a thread in the alternative coins section of bitcointalk is not the first impression we want to give.

If you would bold and state it that for example 20-30% of donator fund would be used for mining Bitmark and he/she would get them in return then it wouldn't be just a fund, but also an investment.

Yes, it is an investment, as the creation of getmarked will enable adoption which eclipse's that of all cryptographic currencies combined.

As an immediate starting point
- can anybody donate the domain name getmarked.org (or funds to buy it) to the project?
- I will create a one page website which coherently lays out the concept in an easy way

Doing this will enable us to refine and present the idea simply, the concept and impact need to be made clear.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 169 »
  Print  

Jump to: