Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:13:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [SC] SilkCoin - Takeover and Rebuilding Discussion/Proposal  (Read 60561 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:51:53 AM

I've been a C/C++/C# developer for over 10 years and would be willing to help with rebuilding.  I manage a development team full time so I would not have enough time to take the lead on this after bholzer is done, but would be willing to give as much of my time as I can.

As far as sharing my identity, I have no problem with that since I am a professional developer and have nothing to hide. 

I also have a Masters Degree in Project Management from Boston University so if my assistance on the dev side is not needed, I can offer my PM skills to the community.

My Trello ID is @mbishop75

Great, your welcome on board!

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
starsandskies

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:52:15 AM

And after doing some research SILK is trademarked by a japanese company involving software on mobile and desktop applications.  SILK as a cryptocurrency is in a gray area especially in the development of applications for it.  I do like the idea of dropping coin from the name but seems possibly dangerous.  Ill post a link of the trademark if anyone has expertise in the subject.

It may be safer to stick to silkcoin (as eloquently suggested recently) with a possible ticker switch to slk.  

I can help out with advising on the legal front. Where's the trademark registered? I wouldn't be too concerned about a trademark as long as it's not directly competing (for example, there's a soy milk company also called "silk"), although it depends what exactly the Japanese company is building.

I know you guys like the original name, but I stand by my assertion that association with silk road is confusing and probably won't help.

I knew about silk road before learning about SilkCoin, and i never once thought that it had anything to do with it.
Anyway, its a well known ancient trade route, it never was a term used for the black market. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road
This coin is going to be designed for trading and have its own marketplace, and not that many people have heard about silkroad anyway.

This coin is going to be the Aladdin's cave of cryptos

Folks on Trello right now prefer "Silk" to "Silkcoin." It preserves most of the original name but it's new. I'm also not concerned about Amazon's trademark, as a browser on Kindle is quite different from a cryptocurrency. And if they did threaten to sue, that would be great press for us. Grin
arteleis

Activity: 630
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 04:49:27 AM

I've been a C/C++/C# developer for over 10 years and would be willing to help with rebuilding.  I manage a development team full time so I would not have enough time to take the lead on this after bholzer is done, but would be willing to give as much of my time as I can.

As far as sharing my identity, I have no problem with that since I am a professional developer and have nothing to hide. 

I also have a Masters Degree in Project Management from Boston University so if my assistance on the dev side is not needed, I can offer my PM skills to the community.

My Trello ID is @mbishop75

Added!  Welcome!  That's awesome! 

SILKCOIN - DARKSILK - SILKWEAVER - FREEDOM
yell4george

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:35:48 AM

Great job everybody. Thank you for all your effort.

We should implement as much blockchain technology as possible into the new community, economy, and eco-system like multi-sig and voting capabilities.

The intrinsic value of silkcoin will be its community and working eco-system. If we build this transparent and decentralized economy people will follow, copy and learn.  I really like the idea of
...setting up escrows and voting on projects is amazing. This could be a new standard in coin development....maybe each step can have its own escrow accounts. like one for 2FA and one for the bot and one for the Marketing campaign. One for the multipool.  When someone completes a certain task they get the coins kinda like a bounty...

My votes:
Keep the name Silkcoin. Negative connotations dissipate over time. It already has name recognition and the history of its beginning (now) will make the story that much sweeter.

Change ticker from SC to SILK. People will automatically start calling it Silk instead of Silkcoin without having to change the name. SLK makes me say "slick".

Doesnt the "Grand Bazaar" already exist in Istanbul? I don't think the proposed eco-system needs a name. It's simply the silkcoin economy.

The trello idea works great. Keep up the good work.

@BrianJaye awesome work man please put this energy towards rebranding SILK

nzminer
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:45:04 AM

We should implement as much blockchain technology as possible into the new community, economy, and eco-system like multi-sig and voting capabilities.

The intrinsic value of silkcoin will be its community and working eco-system. If we build this transparent and decentralized economy people will follow, copy and learn.  I really like the idea of
...setting up escrows and voting on projects is amazing. This could be a new standard in coin development....maybe each step can have its own escrow accounts. like one for 2FA and one for the bot and one for the Marketing campaign. One for the multipool.  When someone completes a certain task they get the coins kinda like a bounty...

My votes:
Keep the name Silkcoin. Negative connotations dissipate over time. It already has name recognition and the history of its beginning (now) will make the story that much sweeter.

Change ticker from SC to SILK. People will automatically start calling it Silk instead of Silkcoin without having to change the name. SLK makes me say "slick".

Doesnt the "Grand Bazaar" already exist in Istanbul? I don't think the proposed eco-system needs a name. It's simply the silkcoin economy.

Usually the standard for tickers is to keep up to 3 letters, thats all.

yell4george

Activity: 232

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:06:57 AM

SUPER, CRYPT, CLOAK, CINNI, DOGE

Netflix, Inc. (NFLX)
Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN)
Google Inc. (GOOG)
Apple Inc. (AAPL)
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)
arteleis

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 07:10:51 AM

My votes:

Yep the Grand Bazaar does already exist.  Why I chose it for the trello board.  Just trying to continue the story of the camel I've been watching staking coins for so long.. Had to be heading somewhere. haha
 Possibly a name for the p2p exchange platform, instead of calling it ambiguous names like eco-system or p2p exchange. Grand Bazaar may not be the name but i think that maybe one should be chosen for terminology sake.  For instance nxt - has AE - mastercoin - master protocol - counterparty - distributed exchange etc. Might help with branding, marketing, and general discussion for that matter.  But if it exists solely inside the qt you may be correct that it doesn't need a name.

As far as tickers, there are quite a few coins that have more then 3 letters.  Perhaps SILK would work?

Totally agree with as much blockchain technology integration as possible.  Between that and the p2p exchanges, these will be the forefront of crypto evolution in technology.

There seems to be a good amount of division on keeping the name and not keeping the name.
For reason of what just took place, and of course, also worry about links with silk road.. these aren't personally my concerns but have been voiced consistently, and more so by senior members on BTT.

Just throwing it out there as another possible rebrand idea:

FairSilk.  FairSilk Trade.  FairSilk Community. FairSilk Economy.  FairSilk Foundation.
  Brandable on many levels, and literally states what is happening here.  After all, This is the beginning of a Digital Fair Silk Trade era.

Raze me if you will.
  Grin

nzminer
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:13:18 AM

My votes:

Yep the Grand Bazaar does already exist.  Why I chose it for the trello board.  Just trying to continue the story of the camel I've been watching staking coins for so long.. Had to be heading somewhere. haha
 Possibly a name for the p2p exchange platform, instead of calling it ambiguous names like eco-system or p2p exchange. Grand Bazaar may not be the name but i think that maybe one should be chosen for terminology sake.  For instance nxt - has AE - mastercoin - master protocol - counterparty - distributed exchange etc. Might help with branding, marketing, and general discussion for that matter.  But if it exists solely inside the qt you may be correct that it doesn't need a name.

As far as tickers, there are quite a few coins that have more then 3 letters.  Perhaps SILK would work?

Totally agree with as much blockchain technology integration as possible.  Between that and the p2p exchanges, these will be the forefront of crypto evolution in technology.

There seems to be a good amount of division on keeping the name and not keeping the name.
For reason of what just took place, and of course, also worry about links with silk road.. these aren't personally my concerns but have been voiced consistently, and more so by senior members on BTT.

Just throwing it out there as another possible rebrand idea:

FairSilk.  FairSilk Trade.  FairSilk Community. FairSilk Economy.  FairSilk Foundation.
  Brandable on many levels, and literally states what is happening here.  After all, This is the beginning of a Digital Fair Silk Trade era.

Raze me if you will.
  Grin

My thought are this:
If you are going to keep silk in the name, its no different than silkcoin.
I dont have an issue with SilkCoin, but SilkCrypto could be an improvement.
If we rebrand to a totally different name, we still have to explain to the newcomers that we were Silkcoin, and now have changed our name, etc, it just makes things more complicated.
Ive seen rebranding fails with big corporations before and its happening here in New Zealand with Telecom changing its name to Spark, there was a huge backlash on their facebook page.

My idea is this, we could call the units of currency Silk or "silkcoins" but Call the ecosystem something different perhaps?
I feel Silk Crypto would be the name for the eco system including the coins, trading platform etc.
Secondly if we add extra "coloured" coins to the mix we could name those as other commodities, we could add amber, cowries and pearls to the list as other assets on the platform down the track.

IDK, just a thought anyway.

arteleis

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:04:35 AM

My thought are this:
If you are going to keep silk in the name, its no different than silkcoin.
I dont have an issue with SilkCoin, but SilkCrypto could be an improvement.
If we rebrand to a totally different name, we still have to explain to the newcomers that we were Silkcoin, and now have changed our name, etc, it just makes things more complicated.
Ive seen rebranding fails with big corporations before and its happening here in New Zealand with Telecom changing its name to Spark, there was a huge backlash on their facebook page.

My idea is this, we could call the units of currency Silk or "silkcoins" but Call the ecosystem something different perhaps?
I feel Silk Crypto would be the name for the eco system including the coins, trading platform etc.
Secondly if we add extra "coloured" coins to the mix we could name those as other commodities, we could add amber, cowries and pearls to the list as other assets on the platform down the track.

Damn, I like the idea of naming other coloured coins as commodities.. that is brilliant.  Yeh trying to find a common ground between some people wanting total rebrand and some wanting absolutely no change at all.  My vote at this point is impartial as long as the decision can be made within a decent timeframe.

arteleis

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:49:49 AM

This is actually a very good idea.  Keep the unit of currency the same, although the entirety of the ecosystem something different. And add coloured coins as more commodities like silk..  That's fuckin gooood.

We would only then need a community name (ecosystem), and a list of proposed assets like SILK to be traded in the ecosystem. - amber, gold, diamonds, pearls etc

MysticalCockFungus

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:38:47 AM

It really anoys me how almost every alt has "coin" on the end, its majorly overused. I dont mind silk, but im not super fond of it either. I think we need a 1 word name that doesnt have coin in it, like nxt, monero, ripple, quark etc. A name is a first impression, and having coin on the end just makes it seem like its another stupid alt. We need to set ourselves apart from the shitcoins.

V O L E N T I X   █   Decentralized Change   █   3rd Party DAPP Platform
▬ •  VENUE  • ▬  Social Rewards Platform   █   ANN   TWITTER   TELEGRAM   █   ▬ • VDEX • ▬  Decentralized Exchange
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    ( V ) BETA TESTER  |  Designed by Zpectrum    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BrianJaye

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:46:50 AM

Although I strongly disagreed with it, the community is overwhelming in favor of keeping the name Silk in. So in that light, its got my support. Its great that we can have this sort of  debate, say what we have to say and then move on.

@arteleis has actually been doing a hell of a lot. Keeping a bunch of people all shouting different opinions organised in trello and feeding it off the board here is really important. - and he's kept a propper adult attitude with things while others have been shouting him down. Thanks arteleis!

Any rate, thanks for all the positive notes on Pheno, its appreciated. In moving forward someone here here needs to call the name...lots of variations of Silk out there so we need a decision.

I think we've either got to set-up some polls about a lot of things or just poll once to decide on a few interim decision makers. We need some decisions and not only about the name, problem is the moment someone makes a decision its likely only to piss others off and we'll end-up with the "who put you in charge?" type statements flying all about the room.

I'm in favor of putting up a poll, pick a few people to delegate & make final decisions where there is clear conflict. In the least we need someone putting up polls. They are simple to do until the website comes out and we can just poll there.  

https://www.surveymonkey.com
https://www.easypolls.net/

Who's Acting Director?
Lead Dev seems to be settled - bholzer
Lead Marketer (Website Text, Social Media, Name and Branding decisions)?
Lead accountant - seems to be settled ( Badass handling the escrow )

We've all got to have our say now its time to get some decisions and move this forward.

I'm happy to design another logo once the name has been sorted unless someone else wants to do so. I am going to go rogue here  Wink and say I'm happy to have Arteleis delegate some of this work until we get a poll up...whether he wants to or not Wink

Cheers all

nzminer
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:51:41 AM

Although I strongly disagreed with it, the community is overwhelming in favor of keeping the name Silk in. So in that light, its got my support. Its great that we can have this sort of  debate, say what we have to say and then move on.

@arteleis has actually been doing a hell of a lot. Keeping a bunch of people all shouting different opinions organised in trello and feeding it of the board here is really important. - and he's kept a popper adult attitude with things while others have been shouting him down. Thanks arteleis!

Any rate, thanks for all the positive notes on Pheno, its appreciated. In moving forward someone here here needs to call the name...lots of variations of Silk out there so we need a decision.

I think we've either got to set-up some polls about a lot of things or just poll once to decide on a few interim decision makers. We need some decisions and not only about the name, problem is the moment someone makes a decision its likely only to piss others off and we'll end-up with the "who put you in charge?" type statements flying all about the room.

I'm in favor of putting up a poll, pick a few people to delegate & make final decisions where there is clear conflict. In the least we need someone putting up polls. They are simple to do until the website comes out and we can just poll there.  

https://www.surveymonkey.com
https://www.easypolls.net/

Who's Acting Director?
Lead Dev seems to be settled - bholzer
Lead Marketer (Website Text, Social Media, Name and Branding decisions)?
Lead accountant - seems to be settled ( Badass handling the escrow )

We've all got to have our say now its time to get some decisions and move this forward.

I'm happy to design another logo once the name has been sorted unless someone else wants to do so. I am going to go rogue here  Wink and say I'm happy to have Arteleis delegate some of this work until we get a poll up...whether he wants to or not Wink

Cheers all

Yes we do need to arrange whos going on board with the team, we need bholzers input on this too, hopefully we will hear from him tomorrow.

bfund

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:49:04 PM

I transferred to poloniex some SC from Mintpal, but has been unable to arrival, how is it?
mojpoj

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:54:25 PM

I was working to start up house of glass coin.  I put a significant amount of work into the site, which was to be the cornerstone.  It allows for weight based voting according to number of coins.   You have to have coins to vote, the more coins you have the more vote power you have.

That project never got enough traction to take off.  To many people were burned by houseofcoins as a scam to be interested in houseofglass.

I have been silently following the old SC thread and this thread, at one point I had 150K SC.  I've read almost every post of the old 300+ pages, and all 25 pages of this new thread.  It seems what I was working may still have a use.

It seems voting needs to be started, so people can start deciding what name to use, what logo to use, and a ton of other items.  And a central place to start organizing.

I would be willing to setup the forum, with weight based voting, and host it for free.

If any of the dev's working on this are interested, please PM me.

houseof.glass/forum/ is the site, to get an idea of what could be done towards weight based voting.  It could also be simple 1 for 1 voting.

And example poll: http://houseof.glass/forum/index.php?topic=11.0

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
BrianJaye

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:20:10 PM

I was working to start up house of glass coin.  I put a significant amount of work into the site, which was to be the cornerstone.  It allows for weight based voting according to number of coins.   You have to have coins to vote, the more coins you have the more vote power you have.

That project never got enough traction to take off.  To many people were burned by houseofcoins as a scam to be interested in houseofglass.

I have been silently following the old SC thread and this thread, at one point I had 150K SC.  I've read almost every post of the old 300+ pages, and all 25 pages of this new thread.  It seems what I was working may still have a use.

It seems voting needs to be started, so people can start deciding what name to use, what logo to use, and a ton of other items.  And a central place to start organizing.

I would be willing to setup the forum, with weight based voting, and host it for free.

houseof.glass/forum/ is the site, to get an idea of what could be done towards weight based voting.  It could also be simple 1 for 1 voting.

That looks like it could be brilliant...perhaps @Bholzer can weigh in on this once he's back on the forum. There is a lot of great stuff happening in the Trello board but it seems everyone is sort of holding off out of respect for everyone else in terms of decision making. - which is a good thing but on the reverse its going to turn harmful if we don't democratically give people some authority really soon. 
ahbartsch

Activity: 165

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:29:22 PM

A very novel and cool idea. I think I speak for everyone when I say we would love to have you as part of the community.

One question. How exactly do you keep track of how many coins an individual has?
mojpoj

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:54:34 PM

A user uses the verify message feature of the client to verify they own a wallet address.  Once verified, the wallet balance is checked on the block chain.  Users can add multiple addresses and it totals them up.

From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
ahbartsch

Activity: 165

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:57:42 PM

A user uses the verify message feature of the client to verify they own a wallet address.  Once verified, the wallet balance is checked on the block chain.  Users can add multiple addresses and it totals them up.

Very cool. Are you on Trello? We would love to have you come contribute to the rebuild and discuss converting this to a Silkcoin theme.
mojpoj

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:09:43 PM

I'm mojpoj on Trello.

Link for SC board?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: