Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:47:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the CIA  (Read 152895 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:39:46 AM

It may have been better to stall them ... "yeah, yeah we'd luv to come talk to your guys but the project is still beta and not ready for prime time yet ..." ... " don't call us we'll call you kind of thing.

Once you have engaged there is no going back to sleeper mode.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:43:41 AM

Bitcoin has been out of sleeper mode for a long time.

I have a lot of respect for GA that he took up the task as public figurehead for this project, and that he is transparent on this.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Anonymous

April 29, 2011, 12:13:56 PM

Cocaine Importation Agency

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 12:31:24 PM

I've explained my community-regarding reasons for my position.

Have you? I must have missed it because your posts are too abstract and vague for my mind to comprehend. All I could gather was that you got pissed at Gavin because he "disrespected" you, a self-described "kernel hacker" homologue in the Bitcoin community. I find it hilarious that you think you are deserving of respect as you have done nothing at all. You are a nobody, like me. You may be unaware but open source projects act as meritocracies, first you contribute something worthwhile and then you get respect, not the other way around.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 01:17:23 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2011, 10:20:56 PM by LightRider

There's a great documentary out there called JFK, and it clearly demonstrates that "man, you don't leave the Agency. Once you in, they got you for life." You guys should check it out.

Edit: Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3pl5Wxgyg

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:08:43 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2011, 01:35:28 AM by RodeoX

A lot of misinformation about the CIA here. I doubt anyone here has worker with/for them. So how would you know what it's like? Not saying they are mistake free, but if people really knew about the job of spycraft they would realize how professional the CIA is. They have people who are shockingly liberal, pacifistic and open minded. You would not last a min there if you put your illusions on a pedestal.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ArsenShnurkov
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:26:05 PM

So how would you know what it's like?

From the film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Game
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:29:03 PM

I thought it was like James Bond without the accent and with a bigger gun?
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 11:29:59 PM

Either government is voluntary (you agree that some person will make decisions for you, maybe a good example would be modern hierarchy in catholic church) or it's a criminal organization that uses violence and extortion and in the principle is just a large mafia with traditions.
What, you didn't agree that they can use violence against you/others? Are you sure you didn't? I would be very surprised if you didn't already agree to this, I have only ever met one who has not agreed to allow violence against him/others. Maybe I misunderstood your comment....but this is off-topic anyway.
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:10:51 AM

Either government is voluntary (you agree that some person will make decisions for you, maybe a good example would be modern hierarchy in catholic church) or it's a criminal organization that uses violence and extortion and in the principle is just a large mafia with traditions.
What, you didn't agree that they can use violence against you/others? Are you sure you didn't? I would be very surprised if you didn't already agree to this, I have only ever met one who has not agreed to allow violence against him/others. Maybe I misunderstood your comment....but this is off-topic anyway.

Please don't say "social contract".
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:14:52 AM

I won't, never heard of it.
JohnDoe

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:14:51 AM

Honestly I think you are just pretending to be a good hacker. What kind of adult refuses to contribute to a project he likes because he doesn't like another developer and instead wastes his time whining on a forum about how inadequate the development team is?

It looks like you think very highly of your own skills so how about this: stop wasting time, fork the official client and make the improvements you think you are capable of doing. If they are worthwhile then people will start paying attention to your branch. Keep making improvements until eventually you replace Gavin as bdfl and then you'll be able to shape the development team to the superior standard we mortals are unable to grasp.
mcdett

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:26:42 AM

has this post degenerated into something poor looking?

Gavin do it! and be as transparent as possible with us while doing it.
JohnDoe

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:34:05 AM

@s: Ok, how about you explain in a single post and in great detail what is wrong with this development team and what is superior about other open source teams. Bear with me as I'm pretty slow.
LH66

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:54:07 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2011, 04:17:35 AM by LH66

I dunno... at best I see a neutral outcome with this cia meeting. I do not foresee a net positive for bitcoin in the long term with this meeting. I just don't like the idea of giving info to those who will probably only harm us with it. The government is like an unconscious steamroller. No matter who we elect at what level of office, there's nobody really at the helm. Unfortunately people still get crushed if they're in it's path.

Having said that, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Related topic:

Does anybody here know about "the seven day dollar"?

If I remember the story correctly, Panama uses (or at least used to use) the dollar, but they called it the Balboa. It was the equivelant of theUS dollar and was backed by the US government. This went on since 1904. Back in the early 1940's, Panamanians tried to print their own Balboas because they were sick of the US govt having control. These people were just trying to print their OWN money so they could be free of US govt involvement. Is that intrisically wrong? Well guess who came in to confiscate their new Balboas? yea one guess. We all know the answer.

Anyway, those new, "illegal," (to you-know-who) Balboas were confiscated, and I believe those who printed them ended up in jail.  Those Balboas that remain are in the hands of collectors now. They are not legal tender.

Once the treasury people in the government get wind of bitcoin, I will be very surprised if they just sit idlly by, doing nothing about it. In my mind this is the very real threat to bitcoin.

Anonymous

April 30, 2011, 03:56:37 AM

Honestly I think you are just pretending to be a good hacker. What kind of adult refuses to contribute to a project he likes because he doesn't like another developer and instead wastes his time whining on a forum about how inadequate the development team is?

You're again reading your own sort of motives into what I'm saying; they're just not there.  I'm speaking generally about the project.

It looks like you think very highly of your own skills so how about this: stop wasting time, fork the official client and make the improvements you think you are capable of doing. If they are worthwhile then people will start paying attention to your branch. Keep making improvements until eventually you replace Gavin as bdfl and then you'll be able to shape the development team to the superior standard we mortals are unable to grasp.

I never said I wanted to be the project lead here, and I almost certainly wouldn't want that.  There are developers in the group capable of doing it well, and I don't even have any general problem with Gavin in particular.  I've pointed out one or two ways in which I wasn't impressed, and perhaps these are overall minor.  You're not reading what I'm saying carefully enough or paying any attention to nuance.  In any case, I'm pretty sure we've exhausted the topic at this point.

I think you need to do what JohnDoe is suggesting and actually produce something rather than just complain.

Gavin isnt going to speak to these people because he talked about working on bitcoin he actually did so. You need to prove yourself before anyone will take notice. Whatever you did on other projects really doesnt mean anything here unless you transfer those skills to the bitcoin world and back up your talk with action.
sexybit

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:04:05 AM

CIA or any gov-affiliated org != compatible wit Bitcoin.
LH66

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:49:55 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2011, 04:23:16 PM by LH66

Maybe I'm just not used to open message boards;

Yea open message boards can be quite vicious at times. I've already been insulted a couple times and I've been here only a few days. But I expected it; I am NOT new to open message boards. If you have value to offer (and I haven't read your posts but I'll assume you do) then those who are mature will accept what you offer. Those who are immature will not. (I am speaking generally here - this is not an evaluation of the current conversation) That's just what happens on these sorts of boards. It's not unique to this one. I recommend developing a thick skin, and learning which posts to respond to and which to ignore. Do not feel the need to respond to every one who comments on you, because ANY board will have attention trolls. All they want is your interaction, regardless of how frustrated they make you feel. This tip alone will save you a lot of grief.  Grin

sexybit

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:59:46 AM

Maybe I'm just not used to open message boards;

Yea open message boards can be quite vicious at times. I've already been insulted a couple times and I've been here only a few days. But I expected it;

ppl have agendas.. they want btc rise with newcomers (*disclaimer - myself included). ppl will protect their own interests viciously.
wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 05:18:22 AM

My .02 BTC,

The CIA never wants to shut stuff down. They want to "exploit" it, to their benefit. If it becomes a U.S. problem, they will pass it on to the FBI (ICE, these days) and let them shut it down.

They love the "What If's", so if you choose to take advice. Prepare for the "What If" questions to impress. The technicals can be given in a white-paper for later review.

Considering the current world environment, you have 2 big what ifs. One for and one against.

What If, Foreign Organization A sends BTC to party B in the U.S. ?  How can you detect it? Methods of withdrawal, services available, etc...

What If, Government Organization C sends BTC to Foreign Party D ?  How can you avoid being detected?

Think TinFoil Paranoia type of answers. If they smile, come home scared. If they smirk, start a service they need and charge them a bundle  Grin

Only accept payment in Euro's or BTC cause the USD isn't what it used to be  Grin

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: