Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:47:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709802 times)
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 04:36:59 AM

I thought that this S3 firmware debacle would end at some point in time.  I was obviously wrong.  This has gone far too long and it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that the buck stops at Bitmain for still failing to produce a decent firmware for the S3s to date.

Having said that, my S3s still got the stock antMiner_S320140826 firmware (one of the early bad ones with all the security issues) with ckolivas' antminer/s3/4.6.0-140908 fix and have been hashing around 490 GH/s at 243.75M since then.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
guitargodmiles

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 09:50:19 AM

Hey I'm new to this site and am not really sure if this is the place to post this but, all four of my antminer s3 units have stopped hashing.  I had my internet turned off and then I payed the bill the next day and now none of them work.  I have updated the IP address since that has changed and am still not getting any hashing.  I have checked all my network info many times and cannot find an error anywhere.  I even tried a factory reset on two of them and still nothing!!!!  Firmware rollbacks and even the latest firmware.  Nothing This is driving me mad here.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Please contact me if you can to help Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 12:00:42 PM

Hey I'm new to this site and am not really sure if this is the place to post this but, all four of my antminer s3 units have stopped hashing.  I had my internet turned off and then I payed the bill the next day and now none of them work.  I have updated the IP address since that has changed and am still not getting any hashing.  I have checked all my network info many times and cannot find an error anywhere.  I even tried a factory reset on two of them and still nothing!!!!  Firmware rollbacks and even the latest firmware.  Nothing This is driving me mad here.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Please contact me if you can to help Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

if everything was setup the same as it was, then its your internet that is still not working correctly.

all you needed to do was reboot the router, and the machines to get them working again.
sieve66

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 05:44:53 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2015, 06:08:57 PM by sieve66

I'm getting the following error on the config page but the unit is hashing...

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 348 at column 34: EntityRef: expecting ';'
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Not sure what to make of it.
Get the latest firmware where this error was fixed, or (and I am assuming the error is on the Miner Configuration tab), login via SSH and enter:
sed -i 's/Save\&Apply/Save\&Apply/g' /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/cgminer/cgminer.lua
That should fix it!

Hello, I am having this problem now and I have tried to update cgminer but cgminer it is already  4.6.1 so, do you guys know what could be the problem here?

EDIT: the problem is on Miner configuration and the software version is antMiner_S320141013.bin
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 07:12:40 PM

is it possible to SSH into the S3+ miner and see the cgminer program? Which shows all the accepted shares, hash rates, etc just like when GPU mining?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
guitargodmiles

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 07:55:35 PM

I have reset the router and still nothing
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 09:02:01 PM

Is there a firmware out there that "for sure" disables the alarm altogether when the pool connections/internet drops ?

I'm about to deploy a few S3's offsite, and need to know if I should remove the covering, physically cover the speaker, then reaffix the covering in order to ensure "quiet" operation prior to delivery and setup.

Every S3 firmware I have flashed still causes the alarm bell to sound when the connection drops out entirely Sad
CryptoGuy

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 11:45:05 PM

Is there a firmware out there that "for sure" disables the alarm altogether when the pool connections/internet drops ?

I'm about to deploy a few S3's offsite, and need to know if I should remove the covering, physically cover the speaker, then reaffix the covering in order to ensure "quiet" operation prior to delivery and setup.

Every S3 firmware I have flashed still causes the alarm bell to sound when the connection drops out entirely Sad

I have a feeling the poor performance became the bigger issue and that fell to the wayside and was never fixed/implemented.

<Insert favorite coin here>
dog1965

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:23:41 AM

Has anyone else tried this antMiner_S320150109.bin?

In my experience the 01-09 is Crap Firmware. Things were so bad I may not have waited long enough to prove with data 10-24 works better. So, I will.

To further Pekatete's assertions regarding firmware...
Take a look at his overclocking threads and if you want, look through his post history.
If I was unable to roll back and forth between firmware revisions and test on my own I would still give a ton of credibility from his documented test results alone.

I am not saying I don't use dogie's information. I place people in context and use them for their strengths based in my experience.
pekatete knows more about the S3 firmware than probably anyone currently posting, and if someone else claims to be a better authority they should compliment their claims with the who, why, when, and how to back it up.
Model, hashrates over time, temps, frequencies, voltages, etc
That is for anyone making claims about this or that firmware, tell me all the details. Smiley

Dogie is a subcontractor for bitmain to provide support to customers on this forum. Dogie knows things and has provided great guides for n00bz which also includes reference material for everyone. While technically not an employee, him being a sub does suggest access to engineering information, or at least knowing who to ask the right questions but again, the same matters to me, employee or not, how did you arrive at the claim you make regarding S3 firmware?  To me, the reset button issue alone is not enough of a reason to upgrade. I experienced other issues. I see effects in work submitted in my own testing between those versions. I did not simply test one unit for a couple of hours. I ran several days with multiple units. I plan to do so again, and include the latest build from 01-09 in the tests. I will run each firmware version, 10-24, 12-19, and 01-09 for x amount of time on each S3. My mix of units spans from old S3 batches to much newer S3+.

I enjoy this type of process and if there is other information anyone wants just ask. While I have not been here long I have been doing things such as this for a long time, and appreciate any input from anyone, but most value the input with explanations of how someone arrives there.

I agree with your thoughts that's how us engineers also get things done that's why we have testing labs I am the same way less lip talk and more proof !
dog1965

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:24:31 AM

Dogie is just one arrogant over sized waffle brain !
clarkjhaley13

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:25:26 AM

So I have 3 S3 units. I bought one and it hashed for a week and the control card died. Now it sems the other 2 have also died. Yes. I have done all the usual. Updated, reset, etc. Got about a month out of each unit.
Unfortunately I bought these from minersource who now appears to be gone as their website is gone. So I can't get the original shipping info or purchase order info for warranty. Such as it is.
I would have atleast expected your products to be more durable than a month in hashing time. After some research it apears to have become a common problem with your gear that the control boards fail prematurely by a bunch. Sadly I am being told that unless under warranty the parts to fix are not available. SO after not quite a month out o each miner I am dead in the water and burnt it seems. Sad just plan sad.
Well guess I will try the spondoolies out to see if they are any better. First one is going to be an sp20 unit.
By the way. the BtcGarden unit I own has literally ran circles around the s3 units as far as stability and realiability goes. Wish they would come back.
Well hope this bit of info can help save others from the pain of wasting money on low grade gear.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:29:02 AM

If you see any firmware bugs, or issues.  Please PM us!!!

Unfortunately, Bugs will continue to exist  Cry

P.S: Some may experience it and some may never see it in bug mode...  Bad experience could be the firmware caused or could be the hashing environment caused, or simply weird condition that we may never know. (But... But... But... We want to know about it)

There is no guarantee that all reported bugs will be fixed but each report will be carefully looked at.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:36:05 AM

@clarkjhaley13

If you could, please PM us for a possible RMA approval.

Also, if you could, were they sent from China or were they sent from Minersource?

Were These S3+ or S3? 

S3 were discontinued almost 6 months ago.

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
clarkjhaley13

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:37:09 AM

P.S: Some may experience it and some may never see it in bug mode...  Bad experience could be the firmware caused or could be the hashing environment caused, or simply weird condition that we may never know. (But... But... But... We want to know about it)

There is no guarantee that all reported bugs will be fixed but each report will be carefully looked at.

I have done the ticket thing, tried to be nice, what I got was . Please spend more money returning it to us so we can fix it and send it back. Oh, you need the original purchase number from the supplier you bought it from though.  In this case minersource who is apparently no longer in existance as their web site is gone and no other info on them is availabel. I sad that they are listed as a supllier but the  customers info from the purchase they made from the supplier doesn't work.

Thus my post here. Maybe save some people some headaches. Sorry but my last few Antminer buys (3 U3, 3 S3+) have all been sour apples.
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 04:38:54 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2015, 04:49:52 AM by BitmainWarranty

MINERSOURCE.NET or Miner Hosting LLC was not AUTHORIZED BITMAIN DISTRIBUTOR OR AUTHORIZED RESELLERS

Please Purchase any Bitcoin Miners Direct from the Manufactures.  Bitmain is not the only manufactures who sell hardware DIRECTLY to the consumers.  All REPUTABLE MANUFACTURES DO SELL hardware directly to the consumers.  Any time you purchase from other than the manufactures, you may experience extra headache as None of the Manufactures will have control over whoever resell the hardware.

Also, other manufactures have very similar warranty rules when it comes to the second/third handed Bitcoin Miners.  Some were even sold new but being used or out of warranty to start with.

We have service parts available for both S3 and S3+.  Please contact us for the service need.  

Unfortunately, we CAN NOT be liable for unaffiliated resellers or individual reselling miners and when the transaction goes side way. (BUT, if you need the item serviced, there may be a small expense to you if it is out of the warranty, but it can be serviced)

Bitmain Product has 90-day warranty from the date of purchase from the FACTORY. (not from the day you purchased somewhere on the internet)

P.S: Some may experience it and some may never see it in bug mode...  Bad experience could be the firmware caused or could be the hashing environment caused, or simply weird condition that we may never know. (But... But... But... We want to know about it)

I have done the ticket thing, tried to be nice, what I got was . Please spend more money returning it to us so we can fix it and send it back. Oh, you need the original purchase number from the supplier you bought it from though.  In this case minersource who is apparently no longer in existance as their web site is gone and no other info on them is availabel. I sad that they are listed as a supllier but the  customers info from the purchase they made from the supplier doesn't work.

Thus my post here. Maybe save some people some headaches. Sorry but my last few Antminer buys (3 U3, 3 S3+) have all been sour apples.

clarkjhaley13

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 04:51:07 AM

MINERSOURCE.NET or Miner Hosting LLC was not AUTHORIZED BITMAIN DISTRIBUTOR OR AUTHORIZED RESELLERS

Please Purchase any Bitcoin Miners Direct from the Manufactures.  Bitmain is not the only manufactures who sell hardware DIRECTLY to the consumers.  All REPUTABLE MANUFACTURES DO SELL hardware directly to the consumers.  Any time you purchase from other than the manufactures, you may experience extra headache as None of the Manufactures will have control over whoever resell the hardware.

Also, other manufactures have very similar warranty rules when it comes to the second/third handed Bitcoin Miners.  Some were even sold new but being used or out of warranty to start with.

We have service parts available for both S3 and S3+.  Please contact us for the service need. 

Unfortunately, we CAN NOT be liable for unaffiliated resellers or individual reselling miners and when the transaction goes side way. (BUT, if you need the item serviced, there may be a small expense to you if it is out of the warranty, but it can be serviced)

P.S: Some may experience it and some may never see it in bug mode...  Bad experience could be the firmware caused or could be the hashing environment caused, or simply weird condition that we may never know. (But... But... But... We want to know about it)

I have contacted bitmain directly and was told I could not buy just the control boards. I was furtther told the only way to get the boards was under warranty which as you can see I can't do. Either way 1 month on a new unit whether it sat on the shelf for a day or a year is bad quality. But hey we can go at this all day. You try to redirect I will keep pointing out the fact of poor quality. Smiley
guitargodmiles

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:55:56 PM

So I have an antminer s3+ and the of the latest firmware versions won't let me factory reset the device with the button on the outside of the unit.  I cannot log in via browser because some settings were messed up inside the software.  I know the ip address and where it is but it will not let me even access that at all.  How can I factory reset this damn thing? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 12:51:42 AM

So I have an antminer s3+ and the of the latest firmware versions won't let me factory reset the device with the button on the outside of the unit.  I cannot log in via browser because some settings were messed up inside the software.  I know the ip address and where it is but it will not let me even access that at all.  How can I factory reset this damn thing? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Sorry for your troubles but you will have to send it in for service to BITMAIN. They have an office in USA.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 02:57:32 AM

There is also a way to connect via the 'debug port'. It is a serial connection.

Search S3 ttl for better discussions.
There is one thread which provides a step by step at the last page but it is discussed in detail.

BITMAIN WARRANTY, Dogie if he is still monitoring this thread, (I think he left the BITMAIN threads alone), and most will say get one from warranty, it is the only way. They sent me two boards a couple of weeks ago. It was nice of them for a bad situation.

How I chose to handle my now out of warranty units is made one of my existing units a "parts" unit, using fans for a replacement here, a hashboard there, etc. If a unit is performing poorly fix it, part it, sell it (with details), or replace it

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 03:10:04 AM

@clarkjhaley13,

Please send all the details to the email address given to you.

Thank you

Pages: « 1 ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: