Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:16:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you Accept Komodo ICO conversion vs Reject Komodo ICO conversion and fund new dev team?
Accept - 145 (68.7%)
Reject - 66 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 211

Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 547 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCD is no more  (Read 1328439 times)
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:51:36 AM

I have a couple questions about this coin related to more basic fundamentals as opposed to any sort of "gimmick" type things.

1. Unlike a few other coins that have anonymity, even if they're not currently trustless, BTCD doesn't have any anonymity yet correct?

2. What has BTCD done to overcome the BTC blockchain bloat issue?

3. Is the PoS in BTCD basically that the richest coin holders control the blockchain or has it implemented some alternate system to alleviate that problem.

4. How solid is the current hashrate in comparison to something like Peercoin? i.e. How secure is the network?

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:09:51 AM

James, get back to coding please. You're not making any sense with the uninformed anti-US rants   Grin

jl777 anti-US rants make sense to me

Only the intellectual people can see what's going on inside the USA. Most are much too busy, misinformed, or don't care.

Always need to distinguish between American people, who for the most part are nice people, and American global influence, which for the most part is very damaging now, and will only get worse. I'm far more scared of USA than China or Russia. Most Americans are unaware of how the world sees them, and get a rude shock when they travel to other countries and see how the rest of 'US' see them. A bit like that movie, 'the truman show', when the main character realises his whole life is totally fabricated ... 'the american dream'.

a friend of mine tells people he is from canada when he travels...doesn't want people to know he is american
Friend of mine does the same thing by basically only claiming his Australian citizenship when he travel's abroad (particularly to the middle east).  He has dual citizenship and says that 9 times out of 10 he goes with Aussie persona.  Said he even cranks up his aussie accent a bit to make it seem more authentic (not that he needs too, mofo sounds like Crocodile dundee to begin with) Smiley

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 07:14:10 AM

I have a couple questions about this coin related to more basic fundamentals as opposed to any sort of "gimmick" type things.

1. Unlike a few other coins that have anonymity, even if they're not currently trustless, BTCD doesn't have any anonymity yet correct?
The Teleport is what I am working on now, https://github.com/jl777/btcd has the latest version I am debugging. it is not the official version yet.

Not sure what exactly you mean here. the blockchain grows based on number of tx, currently less than quarter gig

3. Is the PoS in BTCD basically that the richest coin holders control the blockchain or has it implemented some alternate system to alleviate that problem.
PoS is based on the stake, not sure why you would consider this a problem that needs to be alleviated. Initially the coins were PoW and we had over 3 petahash for a while with hundreds of miners, so the coin got distributed pretty widely.

4. How solid is the current hashrate in comparison to something like Peercoin? i.e. How secure is the network?
the amount of coins staking is what gives the security and it is hard to get an exact number on that but I estimate 75%+ of the coins are staking

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
torshammer

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:16:14 AM

a friend of mine tells people he is from canada when he travels...doesn't want people to know he is american

I would say that's the most cowardly and repulsive thing I have ever heard. Why pretend? Just tell your friend to move to Canada, America doesn't need people like that.

Americans have plenty to be proud of, as long as we can be humble about it. There are a lot of American a**holes but that's even more reason to be a better person and set a better example to the world when you travel to other countries. Don't pretend you're a Canadian or Australian, just be a better American than any foreigner would expect and win back respect with your actions and your attitude (be humble).

It is not cowardly and repulsive. If you had spent years living, traveling, working out of the US, you would know this is an entirely wise thing to do. You apparently have not, nevertheless you feel free to opinionate on it.

Living inside your bubble you do not understand that to the rest of the world, the American overreach since 9/11 has become very real, and unavoidable. Several mideast wars for dubious reasons, FACTA growing like an octopus across the world financial system, the NSA back dooring into the private lives of non US citizens through hardware, Skype, Facebook, deep ocean internet cable monitoring and anything else the they can think of - this is the day to day experience of the US for people who are not Americans. It is not a matter of a 'some americans being a-holes'. It is a matter of a complacent and once-free citizenry being apathetic to a hollowing out of their own constitution, and a lethargic acceptance of their government trampling on the natural human rights, privacy and independence of others across the world.

I recommend the book "Dirty Wars" by Jeremy Shahill. In which American tax dollars end with an intentional drone strike on a 16 year old boy. This is the America many are seeing from the outside and you are not.
Viper1

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 08:01:49 AM

The Teleport is what I am working on now, https://github.com/jl777/btcd has the latest version I am debugging. it is not the official version yet.

The OP refers to this post regarding anon.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=684090.740
That post seems to say it's an implementation of CN tech for anon. But was that dumped for Teleport now?

Not sure what exactly you mean here. the blockchain grows based on number of tx, currently less than quarter gig

The BTC blockchain is what, over 8G now? That's really not something regular people would find acceptable.  There are some other coins that have implemented some things to try and deal with that sort of issue and so I was asking if BTCD has done anything or if it suffers from the same problem, that over time it will become something unrealistic for "normal" users.  Is there an alternative? Like with BTC they have SPV right?

PoS is based on the stake, not sure why you would consider this a problem that needs to be alleviated. Initially the coins were PoW and we had over 3 petahash for a while with hundreds of miners, so the coin got distributed pretty widely.

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but it's my understanding that there's a couple problems with PoS. The first being that those that hold the majority of the coins basically control the network. i.e. Like a 51% issue.  The other problem is that when people are staking, there's no economy going on. Sort of a catch 22 thing. You need people actually using the coins for it to gain wide spread acceptance and use, and yet you need people staking to secure the network. I recently read about some coin that was changing it in some way so that actually using the coin would increase your stake in some way.  There was also a paper out in June about Proof of Activity that I think tried to address these issues but it's a bit above my head at this point.  So basically I'm asking if BTCD has done anything like that or if it's the "typical" PoS.

the amount of coins staking is what gives the security and it is hard to get an exact number on that but I estimate 75%+ of the coins are staking

After posting my questions I remembered the site bitinfocharts. If the data on there is correct, then the hashrate for BTCD is pretty low and I think there should be an effort to get more people staking or something.  If it's right, then BTCD has less hash than coins like XST and even LXC which I would think would be concerning.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 08:08:51 AM

The CN tech was changed for Teleport a while ago, not sure why the OP hasnt been updated

blockchain pruning is not a priority now. if it becomes an issue in the future, we can always address it.

it is much more expensive to get 51% of the coin than 51% of its hashrate, so this "problem" is really something that is more of a propaganda thing against PoS by PoW camp. Clearly if anybody controls the majority of a coin, this is not good. With PoS the cost for this is to buy up over half the coin. Doing this will drive the price up and it just isnt economical. With PoW, even 51% of BTC hashpower is a small fraction of the cost of buying half the bitcoins.

For PoS coin, the hashrate is not very meaningful as there is no PoW. This is one of the appeals of PoS, it doesnt use up a bunch of power and CPU just to mine the next block. Each BTCD acts as a virtual miner.

James

That post seems to say it's an implementation of CN tech for anon. But was that dumped for Teleport now?

The BTC blockchain is what, over 8G now? That's really not something regular people would find acceptable.  There are some other coins that have implemented some things to try and deal with that sort of issue and so I was asking if BTCD has done anything or if it suffers from the same problem, that over time it will become something unrealistic for "normal" users.  Is there an alternative? Like with BTC they have SPV right?

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but it's my understanding that there's a couple problems with PoS. The first being that those that hold the majority of the coins basically control the network. i.e. Like a 51% issue.  The other problem is that when people are staking, there's no economy going on. Sort of a catch 22 thing. You need people actually using the coins for it to gain wide spread acceptance and use, and yet you need people staking to secure the network. I recently read about some coin that was changing it in some way so that actually using the coin would increase your stake in some way.  There was also a paper out in June about Proof of Activity that I think tried to address these issues but it's a bit above my head at this point.  So basically I'm asking if BTCD has done anything like that or if it's the "typical" PoS.

After posting my questions I remembered the site bitinfocharts. If the data on there is correct, then the hashrate for BTCD is pretty low and I think there should be an effort to get more people staking or something.  If it's right, then BTCD has less hash than coins like XST and even LXC which I would think would be concerning.

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 08:15:01 AM

I am getting close!

https://github.com/jl777/btcd has the latest experimental version. If anybody can get it to compile for Windows or Mac, there is a readme in the libjl777 directory on how to build the libjl777. This needs to be done first then you can build the BitcoinDarkd

I cleaned up the API glue code and also streamlined the message passing to the bare minimum in the daemon code. Of course now the nodes dont know about all the other ones, but tomorrow I will fix this. I didnt want to just assume the daemon code is being efficient about message traffic, so I will manage all that in my code.

This will give the routing code a good workout so after that I think it will be ready for some larger deployment tests, eg. this weekend. If all goes well, I will be debugging the application level code starting early next week

James

Azeh (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:00:12 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Cryptonote was removed from the OP a long time ago once the details of the Teleport system became clear.
Viper1

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:13:47 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Cryptonote was removed from the OP a long time ago once the details of the Teleport system became clear.

This is in the Op in big bold letters

**Anon-tech Development Underway**
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=684090.740 Post#746

torshammer

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:35:45 AM

I would say that's the most cowardly and repulsive thing I have ever heard. Why pretend? Just tell your friend to move to Canada, America doesn't need people like that.

Americans have plenty to be proud of, as long as we can be humble about it. There are a lot of American a**holes but that's even more reason to be a better person and set a better example to the world when you travel to other countries. Don't pretend you're a Canadian or Australian, just be a better American than any foreigner would expect and win back respect with your actions and your attitude (be humble).

It is not cowardly and repulsive. If you had spent years living, traveling, working out of the US, you would know this is an entirely wise thing to do. You apparently have not, nevertheless you feel free to opinionate on it.

Living inside your bubble you do not understand that to the rest of the world, the American overreach since 9/11 has become very real, and unavoidable. Several mideast wars for dubious reasons, FACTA growing like an octopus across the world financial system, the NSA back dooring into the private lives of non US citizens through hardware, Skype, Facebook, deep ocean internet cable monitoring and anything else the they can think of - this is the day to day experience of the US for people who are not Americans. It is not a matter of a 'some americans being a-holes'. It is a matter of a complacent and once-free citizenry being apathetic to a hollowing out of their own constitution, and a lethargic acceptance of their government trampling on the natural human rights, privacy and independence of others across the world.

I recommend the book "Dirty Wars" by Jeremy Shahill. In which American tax dollars end with an intentional drone strike on a 16 year old boy. This is the America many are seeing from the outside and you are not.

I think you might be the one living in a bubble, friend, you have made so many false assumptions about who you are talking to. Anyway, what we are discussing is completely off-topic and doesn't belong in this thread. I just wanted you to know that I am very familiar with the attitude toward Americans abroad, I am an American expatriate (feel free to confirm my IP with a moderator). I have traveled extensively and live outside of the US and I have many friends who are expats, and most of us, though frustrated with the American government, still LOVE America. Most people in other countries love their country as well. And mostly the attitude towards Americans is based on the attitude of that particular American, not based on what the US government might or might not have done. They don't know OR CARE about the NSA or any of that. In fact, I find it hard to believe that you are not the person who you think you are addressing, an American living in a bubble who does not have any awareness of what the rest of the world is like. "...deep ocean internet cable monitoring and anything else the they can think of - this is the day to day experience of the US for people who are not Americans." No it's not, unless maybe if you are a terrorist.
Foreigners don't put America as the center of their lives in a good, bad, or any way, as you do. Only Americans give that much importance to America.

well... there ya go... people who have a different opinion must be "with the terrorists" .... and you didn't at all address the matters at hand, the hollowing out of the 4th amendment at home, and the imposition of american will abroad.

valarmg

Activity: 237

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:01:08 AM

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but it's my understanding that there's a couple problems with PoS. The first being that those that hold the majority of the coins basically control the network. i.e. Like a 51% issue.  The other problem is that when people are staking, there's no economy going on. Sort of a catch 22 thing. You need people actually using the coins for it to gain wide spread acceptance and use, and yet you need people staking to secure the network. I recently read about some coin that was changing it in some way so that actually using the coin would increase your stake in some way.  There was also a paper out in June about Proof of Activity that I think tried to address these issues but it's a bit above my head at this point.  So basically I'm asking if BTCD has done anything like that or if it's the "typical" PoS.

These aren't problems. The majority of coin holders controlling the network is the ideal situation, since these are the ones who are most incentivised to maintain the coin's value and worth. It means a 51% attack is extremely difficult since an attacker has to buy a majority of coins, and as he starts buying the price goes out, making it many times more expensive than a PoW attack.

There is no conflict between staking and spending. Not all coins need to be staked for the network to be secure, and there will never need to be a situation where a huge percentage of coins are actively being traded at a single instance in time. When the coins aren't actively moving they can be staked.

Basically PoS has many advantages over PoW, so those who prefer PoW coins will often have to make up reasons why their system is better.
Viper1

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:14:58 AM

2. You seems to be not well informed but PoS coins don't have any issues with the Blockchain bloat.

Ok. Would you care to explain why that is then?  I guess the closest to Bitcoin in terms of being around the longest would be Peercoin but I haven't got that one and downloaded to blockchain in order to compare it.

valarmg

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:21:38 AM

PoS coins have the same problem with blockchain bloat as PoW coins. Because they are newer, their blockchains are much smaller than BTC's so it's not a current issue. Undoubtedly, blockchain pruning will arrive if it becomes too severe.

When people talk about blockchain bloat, they are often talking about cryptonote coins, which bloat the blockchain to a much higher degree than standard blockchains. Teleport anonymity won't have the blockchain bloat problems of cryptonote coins.
Viper1

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:30:32 AM

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but it's my understanding that there's a couple problems with PoS. The first being that those that hold the majority of the coins basically control the network. i.e. Like a 51% issue.  The other problem is that when people are staking, there's no economy going on. Sort of a catch 22 thing. You need people actually using the coins for it to gain wide spread acceptance and use, and yet you need people staking to secure the network. I recently read about some coin that was changing it in some way so that actually using the coin would increase your stake in some way.  There was also a paper out in June about Proof of Activity that I think tried to address these issues but it's a bit above my head at this point.  So basically I'm asking if BTCD has done anything like that or if it's the "typical" PoS.

These aren't problems. The majority of coin holders controlling the network is the ideal situation, since these are the ones who are most incentivised to maintain the coin's value and worth. It means a 51% attack is extremely difficult since an attacker has to buy a majority of coins, and as he starts buying the price goes out, making it many times more expensive than a PoW attack.

There is no conflict between staking and spending. Not all coins need to be staked for the network to be secure, and there will never need to be a situation where a huge percentage of coins are actively being traded at a single instance in time. When the coins aren't actively moving they can be staked.

Basically PoS has many advantages over PoW, so those who prefer PoW coins will often have to make up reasons why their system is better.

I understand that PoS has advantages over PoW.  But it also has some disadvantages.  I just finished reading through both the BC PoS V2 and Reddcoin PoSV white papers. They both outline the various problems/issues with PoS and they both have implemented things to try and deal with some of those issues. I also ran across this paper http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~idddo/CoA.pdf which discusses a Chain of Activity protocol to resolve some PoS flaws and it was spun off from PoA that I found here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=659275.0.

As I said in my post, I'm asking if BTCD has done anything along those lines.  I would have to assume it hasn't given the responses.

valarmg

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:38:36 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2014, 10:56:30 AM by valarmg

I understand that PoS has advantages over PoW.  But it also has some disadvantages.  I just finished reading through both the BC PoS V2 and Reddcoin PoSV white papers. They both outline the various problems/issues with PoS and they both have implemented things to try and deal with some of those issues. I also ran across this paper http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~idddo/CoA.pdf which discusses a Chain of Activity protocol to resolve some PoS flaws and it was spun off from PoA that I found here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=659275.0.

As I said in my post, I'm asking if BTCD has done anything along those lines.  I would have to assume it hasn't given the responses.

Nxt has a similar PoS algorithm to the updated Blackcoin one (http://www.nxtcommunity.org/nxt-whitepaper), and BTCD has talked about implementing that version of PoS. I don't think they are working on that at the moment, but longterm, I believe BTCD are planning on moving away from the coin age version.

I'm not sure that the proof of activity/transaction idea has been shown to work very well, plus I'm not sure it's a big problem. In this regard, PoS coins are similar to bitcoin, why spend when you believe it'll go up. Even if there's an incentive to hoard, you can't take your coins to the grave, people will want to spend them.
Azeh (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 10:55:26 AM

This is in the Op in big bold letters

**Anon-tech Development Underway**
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=684090.740 Post#746

Thanks for reminding me about the link.  I thought you had meant the direct info in the post. 

I'll remove this link as it contains out-dated info. 
ralexvalex

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:24:56 AM

Azeh,

https://www.allcoin.com/trade/BTCD_BTC
Hornsen

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:48:47 AM

I´m sorry, I know this doesn´t belong here, but I was just happy to see the critical discussion of America and how it´s being viewed in the world, and I just wanted to give an outside view, since I´m german, and I can tell you me and all my friends haaaate the American government  Grin , maybe even more than the german one (it´s mostly the same people making the decisions, anyway), although this has clearly nothing to do with any one person coming from or living in America!

I´m not the average german guy though, which is why I´m in a crypto forum, obviously.

Ever heard of TTIP? God, I hate these american corporate motherfuckers  Angry
Wait, who signs the contract?? God, I hate these german corporate motherfuckers!!!
Other countries treat their citizens even worse???  Oh no! How I hate these corporate motherfuckers!!!

Back to topic: What a luck we have to have crypto, constantly trying to take away the power from these evil bastards.

And now I´m on the NSA List as well. I surely was before, though...

Thanks you, James, for trying to find a way to get us small people out of this mess!
SHossain

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:31:19 PM

783K? Never seen that high Network Weight and it is increasing.

{
"Enabled" : true,
"Staking" : true,
"Errors" : "",
"Current Block Size" : 1000,
"Current Block Tx" : 0,
"Pooled Tx" : 0,
"Difficulty" : 0.00804450,
"Search Interval" : 1,
"Weight" : 1182,
"Net Stake Weight" : 783902,
"Expected Time" : 39791
}
Mr.Joker

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 04:19:31 PM

There is no reason to sell atm
Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 547 »
  Print  

Jump to: