Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:53:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of your mining rigs!  (Read 1805649 times)
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 12:30:49 AM

So this is pretty simple setup. My server is an IBM x3550 m4 with dual xeon e5-2670 chips, 80gb of ram.  I am using netapp ds4243 24 bay enclosures that house 2tb 7200rpm enterprise drives. So in total this setup is 240tb (slightly less because of usable space. These enclosures are supposed to be used with a netapp controller.  I didnt want the added expense plus dealing with their software licensing.  They are qsfp so I bought a standard LSI HBA card and a qsfp to mini sas cable and plugged the top enclosure into the card and daisy chained the rest of the enclosures with their standard qsfp cables.  I don't run any raid so these are all just stand alone drives. I plot each one so that if a drive goes down I can revert to my notes and just replot its replacement with the exact plot numbers that was on it.

I can plot 4 to 5 drives a day. I get about 32k nonces per minute optimized with my chips. My main bottleneck when it comes down to plotting is my disk write speed. I am only getting about 80 or 90MBps. I dont think its my drives as most of them are rated for 150MB write speed or above so it could be the back plane on the enclosures themselves.

I ran the setup with windows server 2016 and with ubuntu 16.04 and ultimately went with ubuntu.  My nonces per minute were a little better with windows but my plot times were significantly slower so I went with ubuntu.

That is a nice setup; 240 tb is a lot of capacity. Are you using Creep Miner?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 01:02:01 AM

Went a few pages back and didn't see a Burst miner so...

https://i.imgur.com/QZGSGwi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jv9h3a1.jpg

I have been working on setting up a burst/any other coin HDD farm for a bit.  I was able to purchase a Synology 8 bay NAS and tried writing to it, but it was so slow that it would have never finished.  How do you go about plotting on a NAS?  Can you give some details on your build?  What hard drives are you using and what NAS's?  What are the specs of the computer you are using to plot/mine from?  What is your current investment into that?  Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Plot on a local hard drive, make sure the plot is optimised, then copy that plot to your NAS drive.
 Repeat as needed.

Same concept is needed, but a lot MORE so, for those that do BURST mining via cloud storage.

All of my BURST mining is done on local HDs on machines that are also GPU mining other stuff, though - for me it's more of a "well, I got all that empty space on the drive, might as well get SOMETHING out of it" thing.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
blah01

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 01:17:41 AM

So this is pretty simple setup. My server is an IBM x3550 m4 with dual xeon e5-2670 chips, 80gb of ram.  I am using netapp ds4243 24 bay enclosures that house 2tb 7200rpm enterprise drives. So in total this setup is 240tb (slightly less because of usable space. These enclosures are supposed to be used with a netapp controller.  I didnt want the added expense plus dealing with their software licensing.  They are qsfp so I bought a standard LSI HBA card and a qsfp to mini sas cable and plugged the top enclosure into the card and daisy chained the rest of the enclosures with their standard qsfp cables.  I don't run any raid so these are all just stand alone drives. I plot each one so that if a drive goes down I can revert to my notes and just replot its replacement with the exact plot numbers that was on it.

I can plot 4 to 5 drives a day. I get about 32k nonces per minute optimized with my chips. My main bottleneck when it comes down to plotting is my disk write speed. I am only getting about 80 or 90MBps. I dont think its my drives as most of them are rated for 150MB write speed or above so it could be the back plane on the enclosures themselves.

I ran the setup with windows server 2016 and with ubuntu 16.04 and ultimately went with ubuntu.  My nonces per minute were a little better with windows but my plot times were significantly slower so I went with ubuntu.

yep I am using creep miner and I actually used xplotter through wine because I had issues with mddct
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
July 15, 2017, 02:27:01 AM

yep I am using creep miner and I actually used xplotter through wine because I had issues with mddct

Gosh, wish I was better with computer stuff and knew what any of that means.  Your setup is beautiful.  Maybe I can get one of my friends who actually understands those words to get something set up for me.  If anyone is interested I would pay them for their efforts.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
king_pin

Activity: 416

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2017, 02:57:40 PM

@blah01

I really like what you have done, always wanted to try HDD mining, but for now im sticking to GPU mining.
Can you give us some ROI information?

Help to save a persons life with BITCOIN - http://www.bitcoinsaves.org/en/
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 06:30:39 PM

Would you be willing to mentor me in creating a burst/Storj farm if I pay you?

Smuft

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 07:02:37 PM

nice rigs bros
Smuft

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 07:05:43 PM

I have a facility in Washington.  Yes, really mine.

2.5 PH SHA
45,000 MH ETH
17,000 MH SCRYPT

beautiful
blah01

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 08:20:19 PM

Would you be willing to mentor me in creating a burst/Storj farm if I pay you?

pmed
blah01

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 08:21:58 PM

@blah01

I really like what you have done, always wanted to try HDD mining, but for now im sticking to GPU mining.

Thank you. Roi is a little hard to pinpoint because of how long it has taken to plot and the changes in the network.  Now that I am fully running it will take a little time to really see what I will be generating each month.
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:33:02 PM

@blah01

Thank you. Roi is a little hard to pinpoint because of how long it has taken to plot and the changes in the network.  Now that I am fully running it will take a little time to really see what I will be generating each month.

Here is my thought though.  I think decentralized storage is the future.  It can be done at incredibly cheaper prices than the big companies can, and to get the infrastructure built now would give a huge advantage over the years as newer and better technology come out.  Burst is probably the most profitable currently, but Siacoin and Storj have some potential, but both have problems to work through as of now.  I love the idea of running racks of hard drives and being able to throw some capacity whichever way has a new startup,  if it tanks, you aren't out a whole lot, if it blows up, there is huge potential, and I think one of them eventually will blow up and be huge.

blah01

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:44:34 PM

@blah01

Here is my thought though.  I think decentralized storage is the future.  It can be done at incredibly cheaper prices than the big companies can, and to get the infrastructure built now would give a huge advantage over the years as newer and better technology come out.  Burst is probably the most profitable currently, but Siacoin and Storj have some potential, but both have problems to work through as of now.  I love the idea of running racks of hard drives and being able to throw some capacity whichever way has a new startup,  if it tanks, you aren't out a whole lot, if it blows up, there is huge potential, and I think one of them eventually will blow up and be huge.

yea I certainly am looking for one of the storage coins to come around. There is basically no ROI right now with sia or storj because there is not enough demand.  One good thing with equipment investment is you can resell for a good chunk of what you paid, hard drives arent like asics where they become valueless.  I shot you pm if you want to get back to me there.
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:52:08 PM

@blah01

yea I certainly am looking for one of the storage coins to come around. There is basically no ROI right now with sia or storj because there is not enough demand.  One good thing with equipment investment is you can resell for a good chunk of what you paid, hard drives arent like asics where they become valueless.  I shot you pm if you want to get back to me there.

I did see your PM, just replied Smiley
I also don't think hard drives are like GPU's either.  GPU's still lose value, although slower than ASICS, but hard drives will retain value even longer than GPU's.  Storage is getting harder and harder to shrink, so I think an investment would return its value even longer into the future.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 09:43:38 AM

Here is my thought though.  I think decentralized storage is the future.  It can be done at incredibly cheaper prices than the big companies can, and to get the infrastructure built now would give a huge advantage over the years as newer and better technology come out.  Burst is probably the most profitable currently,

BURST isn't decentralised storage, that's STORJ or MAID (and SIA? Not sure there).

Storage isn't that hard to shrink, it's just EXPEN$IVE to do so right now.
 Intel showed off 60 TB (yes, SIXTY TERRABYTES no typo) in a 3.5" form factor last year - issue is that it was a SSD and probably WAY pricey.

I don't think it will happen real soon, but SSD will probably replace magnetic HD storage eventually - it's already there in niche usage, just not quite price competative on a per-TB basis yet.

My current estimate on ROI for a Seagate Archive 8TB (which is usually the lowest price per TB on new drives) is around 20 months, unless the price starts climbing faster than the network total TB does (price has been DROPPING like most altcoins the last 2-3 weeks, while network capasity keeps climbing).
 There are calculators, but they are ALL on the optimistic side as due to how BURST pools work, only *one* machine pointed at the same "address" gets counted for total capacity on that pool.
 There are times the pool thinks I only have a few hundred MEG of capasity, even though my total among all of my machines is probably 20 TB or close.

Up side - BURST doesn't use a drive particularly hard, so they should have good longevity in BURST usage.
 Another up side - I have to buy a drive anyway when I'm building a new mining machine, and the cost of buying a 3TB HGST refurb isn't much more right now than buying the cheapest drive available, so the difference in price will pay off pretty quickly.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
blah01

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:53:04 PM

Here is my thought though.  I think decentralized storage is the future.  It can be done at incredibly cheaper prices than the big companies can, and to get the infrastructure built now would give a huge advantage over the years as newer and better technology come out.  Burst is probably the most profitable currently,

BURST isn't decentralised storage, that's STORJ or MAID (and SIA? Not sure there).

Storage isn't that hard to shrink, it's just EXPEN$IVE to do so right now.
 Intel showed off 60 TB (yes, SIXTY TERRABYTES no typo) in a 3.5" form factor last year - issue is that it was a SSD and probably WAY pricey.

I don't think it will happen real soon, but SSD will probably replace magnetic HD storage eventually - it's already there in niche usage, just not quite price competative on a per-TB basis yet.

My current estimate on ROI for a Seagate Archive 8TB (which is usually the lowest price per TB on new drives) is around 20 months, unless the price starts climbing faster than the network total TB does (price has been DROPPING like most altcoins the last 2-3 weeks, while network capasity keeps climbing).
 There are calculators, but they are ALL on the optimistic side as due to how BURST pools work, only *one* machine pointed at the same "address" gets counted for total capacity on that pool.
 There are times the pool thinks I only have a few hundred MEG of capasity, even though my total among all of my machines is probably 20 TB or close.

Up side - BURST doesn't use a drive particularly hard, so they should have good longevity in BURST usage.
 Another up side - I have to buy a drive anyway when I'm building a new mining machine, and the cost of buying a 3TB HGST refurb isn't much more right now than buying the cheapest drive available, so the difference in price will pay off pretty quickly.

You are right the calculator is optimistic and its a long term average so that has to be taken into account.  However, it doesnt matter how much space the pool is "registering" for you.  What matters is the amount of nonces your miner is mining. So whatever the space the pool shows you having is inconsequential so long as your miner is mining the actual space you have, looking for Deadlines to submit to the pool. 
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:22:29 AM

Just saying that's why all the calculators are optimistic, not that my other machines aren't mining and submitting deadlines.

IME the calculators seem to be 30-50% on the high side, even on the long-term - and a LOT more than that if you never find a block.

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:40:49 PM

hey naut, thats a nice little setup.  Hows the noise level though ?  The PSU alone is quite loud, hopefully you dont sit right next to it.  Its very clean though, a stark contrast to all my rigs.
mindrust
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 2373

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:14:35 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2017, 06:25:26 PM by mindrust

I am not the expert but I don't think HDD's will ever disappear. Not unless they make SSD's as durable as HDD's and cheaper. I probably won't wear out a SSD in my life time but the risk is there. (for now) And there is also HDD's being cheaper than SSD's for per gb/$

Side note: I recently bought a WD 1tb external usb3.0 hdd and it is as fast as (maybe even faster) the first gen SSD's. (tested with "HD tune" software, +200mb r&w/sec) HDD's are still developing technologically.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 04:07:06 AM

I am not the expert but I don't think HDD's will ever disappear. Not unless they make SSD's as durable as HDD's and cheaper. I probably won't wear out a SSD in my life time but the risk is there. (for now) And there is also HDD's being cheaper than SSD's for per gb/$

Side note: I recently bought a WD 1tb external usb3.0 hdd and it is as fast as (maybe even faster) the first gen SSD's. (tested with "HD tune" software, +200mb r&w/sec) HDD's are still developing technologically.

I've been using SSD's for a few years now & I have found out 1 thing........BACK UP AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE......there is no way to recover data (cheaply) from a dead SSD  Sad

Spinners usually work just enough to get the data off em by hooking them up in another PC as secondary drive....no such luck with SSDs for me at least  Sad

Read the reviews on Newegg for any SSD you want to buy,they are spot on,on how that SSD will be in the long run  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
CryptoCanary
Legendary

Activity: 1076
Merit: 1006

Canary in the crypto mine!

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 05:58:35 AM

Alright time to get a little more serious.

Got two 32amp power point installed.

Ready for 10 S'9

5 PSU also arrived today too woot!

Let's see what you got! Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 399 »
  Print  

Jump to: