Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:36:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUESTS] Minimal Electrum builds for Windows  (Read 47166 times)
luicon

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:34:47 AM

hi, i had some strange behaviour with the crypt option for the wallet, (sometimes it crypt, sometimes is decrypt without asking password... and os on, very strange in my opinion)
so i decided to rename the wallet in order to play with a fresh one

now i have two wallets and each time i open/close the exe, it alternate reading one or other, its switching constantly after each open/close action

i am using the portable exe version for xp

is that behaviour normal?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:46:21 AM

hi, i had some strange behaviour with the crypt option for the wallet, (sometimes it crypt, sometimes is decrypt without asking password... and os on, very strange in my opinion)
so i decided to rename the wallet in order to play with a fresh one

now i have two wallets and each time i open/close the exe, it alternate reading one or other, its switching constantly after each open/close action

i am using the portable exe version for xp

is that behaviour normal?

This is the first time such an issue is reported. Definitely not normal. 
Perhaps something special with your setup? Are you running Electrum from
a USB drive or your hard disk? Any spaces in the path?  Version 0.60?
luicon

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:00:32 AM

0.60, from C:\

i had the same problem with the "non"  portable windows version and tahts why i switched to the portable one, for test.

now i must say i just killer python.exe and looks like everything works as it should now
i have the feeling sometimes gets stucked in memory and make a mess of paranormal activity
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:10:48 AM

0.60, from C:\

i had the same problem with the "non"  portable windows version and tahts why i switched to the portable one, for test.

now i must say i just killer python.exe and looks like everything works as it should now
i have the feeling sometimes gets stucked in memory and make a mess of paranormal activity

OK, so it seems that the Python runtime doesn't always exit properly for some reason.
I will further investigate this when I can setup a new computer (writing this post from a friend's computer). 

One thought... Did Electrum get stuck while you created your very first wallet?
It sometimes happens if a server is down at the wrong time (known issue).
luicon

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:22:13 AM

yes sometimes it get freezed creating the 5 first addresses or whatever it is doing,
I must click in the "X" and then a window with the seed and so on appears,

someone told me the reason of this is just when it can't connect to the server

the strange behavior is definitely due to python stucked into memory, but i can't reproduce a way to make it keep in memory so any kind of senseless error can appear; looks like random... sometimes it exit and sometimes it don't

by the way, what about update to a longer seed? 2^128 looks a bit short compared to 2^166
it possible in next version to put the window in the middle of the screen for the initial booting position?, to me its too high and i have the windows bar covering it always,

cheers
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:48:34 PM

yes sometimes it get freezed creating the 5 first addresses or whatever it is doing,
I must click in the "X" and then a window with the seed and so on appears,

someone told me the reason of this is just when it can't connect to the server

the strange behavior is definitely due to python stucked into memory, but i can't reproduce a way to make it keep in memory so any kind of senseless error can appear; looks like random... sometimes it exit and sometimes it don't

Hopefully, this will be fixed in a later release.

by the way, what about update to a longer seed? 2^128 looks a bit short compared to 2^166

Why? 2^128 should get you covered until the end of the universe... Unless I'm missing something? Anyway, if you would like to discuss this further, I would recommend to post about it in the main Electrum thread.

it possible in next version to put the window in the middle of the screen for the initial booting position?, to me its too high and i have the windows bar covering it always,

Sure, I will address that in the next Windows build.
Do you have your Windows taskbar at the top of your screen? Could you post a screenshot if possible?
luicon

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:41:51 PM

luicon

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:52:58 AM

why the transaction fee is always multiplyed by 2 and 4 once configured in the options?
if i put 0.000001 btc fee it never stay at 0.000001

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 0.000002 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 0.000004 btc transaction fee

whats even more strange is if i put 0.00000001  btc

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 18 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 48 btc transaction fee

if i put 0.0000001  btc

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 27 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 47 btc transaction fee
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:48:58 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 04:04:56 PM by flatfly

why the transaction fee is always multiplyed by 2 and 4 once configured in the options?
if i put 0.000001 btc fee it never stay at 0.000001

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 0.000002 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 0.000004 btc transaction fee

whats even more strange is if i put 0.00000001  btc

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 18 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 48 btc transaction fee

if i put 0.0000001  btc

then i put " 0.x "  in the amount, i get 27 btc transaction fee
then i put " 1.x "  in the amount, i get 47 btc transaction fee

Good catch! I just tried the same settings here, and
I'm able to reproduce it. Sure looks like a little bug in the fee calculation for tiny values.

Anyway, I would recommend setting the fee to 0.001 to get higher priority than SatoshiDice transactions - otherwise, setting smaller fees will often delay your transaction for hours if not days.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:23:41 AM

Hey, I just noticed that I got a 2.2BTC tip yesterday! Thank you
anonymous donator, it was very appreciated!  No idea who the donator is, though...
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:18:54 PM

Grin

Wow, so it was you? Thanks a lot Smiley

I should put up a little hall of fame with the greatest donators!
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 08:37:35 PM

Are you still working on brining out new versions Flatfly? We are about to release a new version and I would love there to be a easy to download windows version of it to. If not I would like to know so I can try to build an .exe myself :}

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:45:38 AM

Hi, I have no Windows system available for now (my computer died on me), but
hopefully I will get a new PC in the first week of September and then I will be able to
make new builds.

That said, if you do have some time to make Windows builds as well, go ahead Smiley

I think it would be nice to eventually have several people working on the binary creation
and distribution, documenting the build process so it is easily repeatable by any user.    
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 12:46:14 PM

hopefully I will get a new PC in the first week of September and then I will be able to
make new builds.

That said, if you do have some time to make Windows builds as well, go ahead Smiley

I think it would be nice to eventually have several people working on the binary creation
and distribution, documenting the build process so it is easily repeatable by any user.    

That would be my end-game too, there are already build scripts for OSX and a PIP install for Linux. I will see if I can get a python dev env on Windows setup so I can try building a Windows binary.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 06:28:17 PM

make new builds.

What about having a amazon windows instance?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:11:27 PM

make new builds.

What about having a amazon windows instance?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not too familiar with amazon's offering, but will check it out.
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:13:11 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 12:13:56 AM by sethsethseth

Overall I like the client and interface and performance way better than multibit and satoshi client.  There are a couple things that need to be fixed however.  The transaction order for pending transactions is not correct, which was extremely irritating when I was playing satoshidice.  I would send a payment, and receive one back from satoshidice, and not be able to tell if I had won because the transactions would not appear at the top of the history list.  They would appear in some random spot farther down.  

Also, there is a problem with being able to copy addresses on the history screen and identify them on the contact list.  For example, I wanted to send my friend a few bitcoins to his phone from my laptop, so I had him send me .01 bitcoins so I could get an address to send back to his phone.  The .01 arrived, and I could see it in my history list, but by right clicking it I could not copy his address, as i can with the satoshi client.  So I went to the contacts tab, but it was just a big wall of addresses because I had not labeled anything.  This took me a while to figure out and is a usability problem.  Same thing when I click on receive, its just a big wall of addresses with no easy way to tell which ones haven't been used before or generate a new address.

One more thing is that when it doesnt connect at startup and I go to select a different server, it doesnt try to connect immediately unless i restart the client.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 09:27:37 AM

flatfly: Could you eventually make a portable version of the new electrum client?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:55:11 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 09:27:59 PM by flatfly

Overall I like the client and interface and performance way better than multibit and satoshi client.  There are a couple things that need to be fixed however.  The transaction order for pending transactions is not correct, which was extremely irritating when I was playing satoshidice.  I would send a payment, and receive one back from satoshidice, and not be able to tell if I had won because the transactions would not appear at the top of the history list.  They would appear in some random spot farther down.  

Also, there is a problem with being able to copy addresses on the history screen and identify them on the contact list.  For example, I wanted to send my friend a few bitcoins to his phone from my laptop, so I had him send me .01 bitcoins so I could get an address to send back to his phone.  The .01 arrived, and I could see it in my history list, but by right clicking it I could not copy his address, as i can with the satoshi client.  So I went to the contacts tab, but it was just a big wall of addresses because I had not labeled anything.  This took me a while to figure out and is a usability problem.  Same thing when I click on receive, its just a big wall of addresses with no easy way to tell which ones haven't been used before or generate a new address.

One more thing is that when it doesnt connect at startup and I go to select a different server, it doesnt try to connect immediately unless i restart the client.

Hi, I agree with your feedback. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the near future.

Regarding copying an address from the history view, you can already do so, by first editing the
address field, then right-clicking on the address. I admit this should be made more intuitive though.

Also, if you enable expert mode (in the settings), you get a new column with individual address balances in the "contacts" & "receive" tabs.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

flatfly: Could you eventually make a portable version of the new electrum client?

I still don't have a Windows computer, so didn't plan to do that before September,
but as you're one of my top donators, I will see if I can borrow my dad's
laptop, secure it properly, and make an early 1.0 portable build Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: