Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:34:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUESTS] Minimal Electrum builds for Windows  (Read 47166 times)
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:16:57 PM

This version seems to work great and fast!

Donation sent!

BTW: I have only one server available (electrum.bysh.me). Is this normal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Donation sent!

thanks for the support!

New clients filter out all the old servers since the protocol has changed. For the moment there are only two servers running the new protocol:
electrum.bysh.me and ecdsa.org

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 06:42:32 PM

Donation sent!

Thanks!

I see ecdsa.org online as well now, and I believe more servers will upgrade very soon.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 03:24:33 AM

flatfly, I just tested latest 1.5.4 build. Not displaying QR codes is known issue (seed, address on Receive tab)?

Btw any chance to pack Electrum with zbar package, which is available for Windows as well? It adds QR scanning features to Send dialog...

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 03:39:49 AM

Hm, looks like there are more bugs in 1.5.4 in general. 1.5.3 works for me nicely, too bad that Windows builds are not 1.5.3 :-(.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:31:02 AM

Hi slush,

Thanks for trying the new build!

Yes the qr bugs are known issues, but the good news is that thomasv just fixed them on the github master! What other bugs have you noticed in 1.5.4?  If there are too many, I'll consider making a 1.5.3 build available as well until they're fixed.

About the zbar package, I usually try to keep my builds as lean as possible, but I'll see if I can include that (+ any required dependencies) in my main build without impacting the download size too much.

Also, as I often get requests for custom builds, and the time I can currently devote to this is quite limited, I usually give priority to donators Smiley
dw_bc

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:26:47 PM

I using your build, but I changed GUI to Gtk.

Now, it now starts Gui mode.

Only when I run + SHIFT to select to GUI mode qt or lite.

How Can I fix to qt or lite? Via Regedit?

Good Work, and Thanks!
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 07:51:48 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2012, 08:49:44 PM by flatfly

I using your build, but I changed GUI to Gtk.

Now, it now starts Gui mode.

Only when I run + SHIFT to select to GUI mode qt or lite.

How Can I fix to qt or lite? Via Regedit?

Good Work, and Thanks!

Hi, thanks for trying my build Smiley

Indeed, some GUIs (gtk and text) are not supported in my build.
Regedit is not necessary to fix the issue you have, as Electrum doesn't save anything
to the Windows registry. The best way to solve the issue is to issue the following command
from the console:

electrum set gui "qt"

This will set the default GUI back to Qt (classic).
IveBeenBit

Activity: 449
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 07:29:32 AM

I just downloaded and tried using your build from here: http://dre.redmartian.org/elecwin.htm

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Anyways, I installed it, but it looks like the .exe is all there is to it. Is that right? Because when I double click electrum1.5.6-flatfly.exe, then it starts up.

I was also surprised that it did not do any setup, did not shaw a wallet seed or any of that. Is that normal?

Finally, it doesn't connect to anything. It just sits there saying "trying to connect" on the bottom.

Any idea where I should start trying to trouble shoot this? Or should I just use the official Electrum client?
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 09:22:10 AM

I just downloaded and tried using your build from here: http://dre.redmartian.org/elecwin.htm

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Anyways, I installed it, but it looks like the .exe is all there is to it. Is that right? Because when I double click electrum1.5.6-flatfly.exe, then it starts up.

The above is normal: I've spent a lot of time to make my build totally self-contained so it doesn't require "installing", and does not touch the Windows system files in any way.

I was also surprised that it did not do any setup, did not shaw a wallet seed or any of that. Is that normal?

Finally, it doesn't connect to anything. It just sits there saying "trying to connect" on the bottom.

Any idea where I should start trying to trouble shoot this?

This is not normal - It is probably due to an old electrum.dat wallet file lying around on your hard disk from the old days, and pointing to a non-existing server... To fix the issue, find that file (in your Application Data folder, not sure about the exact path on Win7 x64), rename it to something else, and start Electrum again. It should then prompt you to create a new wallet (or restore an existing one from seed.)

Let me know how that goes so I can help you further if needed.

Or should I just use the official Electrum client?

You could give it a try, but I think it will exhibit the same behavior, as we're using the same codebase.
IveBeenBit

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 07:58:59 PM

This is not normal - It is probably due to an old electrum.dat wallet file lying around on your hard disk from the old days, and pointing to a non-existing server... To fix the issue, find that file (in your Application Data folder, not sure about the exact path on Win7 x64), rename it to something else, and start Electrum again. It should then prompt you to create a new wallet (or restore an existing one from seed.)

You were right. I did find an old electrum.dat file. The path, BTW is C:\Users\Windows Username\AppData\Local\Electrum\electrum.dat

It's probably leftover from when I tried Electrum back in August, but I honestly did not give it a fair shot back then.

I opened the file in Wordpad just to see what was in it. I see about 5 Bitcoin addresses. Does electrum.dat store the private keys to those addresses also? Where are the private keys stored?

I'm basically trying to make sure I keep my bitcoins safe and need to know what files to make encrypted backups of. I plan on importing my private keys that I already have from the QT client into my Electrum wallet.

Thanks for the help so far!
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 08:41:12 PM

You were right. I did find an old electrum.dat file. The path, BTW is C:\Users\Windows Username\AppData\Local\Electrum\electrum.dat

It's probably leftover from when I tried Electrum back in August, but I honestly did not give it a fair shot back then.

I opened the file in Wordpad just to see what was in it. I see about 5 Bitcoin addresses. Does electrum.dat store the private keys to those addresses also? Where are the private keys stored?

I'm basically trying to make sure I keep my bitcoins safe and need to know what files to make encrypted backups of. I plan on importing my private keys that I already have from the QT client into my Electrum wallet.

Thanks for the help so far!

Electrum.dat is the only file where all sensitive information is stored.
The private keys to those 5 (and any subsequent) addresses are not stored anywhere, they are dynamically computed from the seed, which is stored in the electrum.dat file. This is one of the great benefits of deterministic wallets: you only need to back up your wallet just once, and that's it!

Just be sure to use a strong password and the seed will always be stored in encrypted form, using AES256.

If, for any reason, you do need to access the private keys for each individual address, you can do so by issuing the following command:
Code:
electrum -oak addresses
IveBeenBit

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 10:33:17 PM

Electrum.dat is the only file where all sensitive information is stored.
The private keys to those 5 (and any subsequent) addresses are not stored anywhere, they are dynamically computed from the seed, which is stored in the electrum.dat file. This is one of the great benefits of deterministic wallets: you only need to back up your wallet just once, and that's it!

Just be sure to use a strong password and the seed will always be stored in encrypted form, using AES256.

Thanks a lot for your time in explaining this. I think I only have 2 more questions (until I tackle figuring out offline wallets and trasnactions, that is).  Undecided

I found in the documentation how to import private keys:
Code:
$ ./electrum import 1LGoehbyeX4QBEPK1a6dhyaoMQZfqg5LKX:5JBSttEGhjEcPidSovW66Rin2EZ6LEHZ2qx8Pu2RqqNaDTBVWaF
keypair imported

Since those keys are not "deterministic," then they will need to be stored in electrum.dat, I guess. Will they be encrypted in there?

Also, I think I found the wallet seed in electrum.dat. It's 88 characters, with numbers, upper- and lower-case letters and some special characters. Is that the actual seed, or is that an encrypted version of the seed that I would have to enter a password to unlock?

Thanks again for the help.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 11:02:37 PM

Since those keys are not "deterministic," then they will need to be stored in electrum.dat, I guess. Will they be encrypted in there?

Also, I think I found the wallet seed in electrum.dat. It's 88 characters, with numbers, upper- and lower-case letters and some special characters. Is that the actual seed, or is that an encrypted version of the seed that I would have to enter a password to unlock?

1. Sure, any imported private keys get encrypted as well.  However please note that electrum doesn't support importing compressed keys at this time. There is a pull request for this but it still needs to be adapted to the current codebase and merged in.
Anyway, the best practice is to avoid importing keys as much as possible, and send funds from bitcoin-qt to electrum addresses instead (if at all possible in your case) - this is to get the full benefits of deterministic wallets.

2.  That's the encrypted version of the seed (ending with equal signs). It can't be used without your password. The actual seed is a 128-bit high-entropy random number, which is usually displayed as either a 12-word mnemonic code or a 32-digit hex number.

Thanks again for the help.

No problem, always glad to help. I won't be online very much next week, though, but you can also get assistance in the main electrum thread or on the #electrum IRC channel.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 06:32:22 PM

I've just released a stable build for version 1.5.7.
As usual, the download links can be found in the first post of this thread.
minimalB
Donator

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 11:22:25 AM

The server is down  : /
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:15:39 PM

The server is down  : /

Sorry for that, it looks like an issue at my (cheap) hosting provider.
Not sure how long that will take to resolve, but in the meantime,
the direct download link is still available (hosted at Google Code, thankfully):

http://win-electrum.googlecode.com/files/elec-1.5.7-flatfly.exe    (6.3MB build, no dependencies)

SHA-1 hash: ea9d9a2717a9294d0c0374d2eda93170a35b539e

VirusTotal report
minimalB
Donator

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:53:54 PM

Thanks!

In Lite mode: if you start typing previously saved Label in "Enter a recipient address..." field, whole string (label and address) is copied... string stays in RED color (indicating an error address) and I'm unable to send BTCs.

It works fine in classic mode, though.

Donation sent.
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 02:00:47 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2012, 02:37:54 PM by hazek

This doesn't work for me under win7 64bit. The process runs, takes up about 3mb of memory and nothing happens. The first time I ran it it hung at the unpacking stage.

EDIT: nvm, got it to work, I had to manually find and delete all files and folders associated with electrum and I think the problem was I already had appdata\local\electrum\ with a wallet and blockchain headers from slushe's build..

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 04:19:51 PM

Where is a list of version changes?

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: