Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:59:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUESTS] Minimal Electrum builds for Windows  (Read 47166 times)
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:05:28 PM

Thanks!

In Lite mode: if you start typing previously saved Label in "Enter a recipient address..." field, whole string (label and address) is copied... string stays in RED color (indicating an error address) and I'm unable to send BTCs.

It works fine in classic mode, though.

Donation sent.

Thanks for the new donation, always VERY appreciated Smiley

Regarding the bug in Lite mode: I've reported the issue to the dev team, hoping for a fix in the next release.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:10:16 PM

This doesn't work for me under win7 64bit. The process runs, takes up about 3mb of memory and nothing happens. The first time I ran it it hung at the unpacking stage.

EDIT: nvm, got it to work, I had to manually find and delete all files and folders associated with electrum and I think the problem was I already had appdata\local\electrum\ with a wallet and blockchain headers from slushe's build..

Glad to know you could fix it. Just a tip if you do encounter this kind of issue again in the future: you can get more information about what is going on by starting the application while holding down the SHIFT key (which opens the virtual console), and execute "electrum -v" from there and watch for any error messages.
hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 05:32:29 PM

This doesn't work for me under win7 64bit. The process runs, takes up about 3mb of memory and nothing happens. The first time I ran it it hung at the unpacking stage.

EDIT: nvm, got it to work, I had to manually find and delete all files and folders associated with electrum and I think the problem was I already had appdata\local\electrum\ with a wallet and blockchain headers from slushe's build..

Glad to know you could fix it. Just a tip if you do encounter this kind of issue again in the future: you can get more information about what is going on by starting the application while holding down the SHIFT key (which opens the virtual console), and execute "electrum -v" from there and watch for any error messages.

Wow that's really neat! And it allows me to execute the console commands which is something I really needed 2 days ago while trying to retrieve a single private key.

BTW this reminds me. I abandoned Electrum for my cold storage option. I don't know if you're familiar but I had an USB stick with ubuntu on it and two user accounts, one admin that was never connected with an offline wallet and another regular user that was online with a seedless wallet. But I was using electrum 1.0 which stopped working and when I updated to 1.57 it would give me some sort of error.

Anyway my point is that Electrum is a great client, but all of you who are developing it lack skills for selling it effectively. You can make it, no doubt, but your websites, documentation, ect is seriously lacking.  One virtually needs to be on your level of expertise to be able to troubleshoot any sort of an issue. For example I couldn't find a changelog for various versions, I couldn't figure out which version I must install on my ubuntu stick (linux or ubuntu/debian nightly) or how to update my version and there was some other stuff that I can't remember right now but was making me go mental over when I was trying to get it to work.

Anyway, that's ok, you don't need to know how to sell it effectively, any great business always distributed the making, selling and keeping the finances in order between different experts and all I'm trying to say here is that when you all get a chance please hire someone that will help you out and create user guides, FAQs and user friendly documentation so regular users like myself can easily learn how to use it (like this run while holding shift trick..).

Just a suggestion.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 11:17:19 AM

Wow that's really neat! And it allows me to execute the console commands which is something I really needed 2 days ago while trying to retrieve a single private key.

BTW this reminds me. I abandoned Electrum for my cold storage option. I don't know if you're familiar but I had an USB stick with ubuntu on it and two user accounts, one admin that was never connected with an offline wallet and another regular user that was online with a seedless wallet. But I was using electrum 1.0 which stopped working and when I updated to 1.57 it would give me some sort of error.

Anyway my point is that Electrum is a great client, but all of you who are developing it lack skills for selling it effectively. You can make it, no doubt, but your websites, documentation, ect is seriously lacking.  One virtually needs to be on your level of expertise to be able to troubleshoot any sort of an issue. For example I couldn't find a changelog for various versions, I couldn't figure out which version I must install on my ubuntu stick (linux or ubuntu/debian nightly) or how to update my version and there was some other stuff that I can't remember right now but was making me go mental over when I was trying to get it to work.

Anyway, that's ok, you don't need to know how to sell it effectively, any great business always distributed the making, selling and keeping the finances in order between different experts and all I'm trying to say here is that when you all get a chance please hire someone that will help you out and create user guides, FAQs and user friendly documentation so regular users like myself can easily learn how to use it (like this run while holding shift trick..).

Just a suggestion.

I do agree with your point. The main issue is that the Electrum team is still quite small, 100% voluntary, and has no marketing / communication guru yet... Hopefully that will come soon.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 11:19:57 AM

Where is a list of version changes?

A basic changelog was started recently and is being maintained there:
 https://raw.github.com/spesmilo/electrum/master/RELEASE-NOTES
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2012, 12:53:33 PM

Thanks!

In Lite mode: if you start typing previously saved Label in "Enter a recipient address..." field, whole string (label and address) is copied... string stays in RED color (indicating an error address) and I'm unable to send BTCs.

Donation sent.

Regarding the bug in Lite mode: I've reported the issue to the dev team, hoping for a fix in the next release.

Fixed on master, will be in the next release.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 06:03:03 PM

Thanks!

Donation sent.

Fixed on master, will be in the next release.

Great, thanks!
Also I've finally found a fix for a long-standing little bug in the Qt GUI - I'll send a pull request in a little bit.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 04:23:44 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2012, 04:41:28 PM by flatfly

My web page is still down Sad   I'm kinda fed up with that host.

By the way, I've updated Qt to 4.9.6 on my development system and played around with the different styling options... As a result, I will probably use a slightly more polished (and modern) GUI style for my next build:

Unless people prefer the current style:

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 12:07:46 PM

I like it overall, I would bring the indentation for the icons on the bottom bar back personally. But I guess that's a matter of taste Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 04:40:31 PM

I like it overall, I would bring the indentation for the icons on the bottom bar back personally. But I guess that's a matter of taste Smiley

Thanks for your feedback Smiley The indentation (or lack thereof) is part of the built-in style, so I'm not sure I can change that, but I will double-check.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 04:42:46 PM

By the way - my web page has a new address: http://dre.natverk.org/elecwin.htm
Hopefully this one will last longer... At least till I get me a little VPS or something.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 07:15:59 PM

A stable build for new release 1.5.8 is now available.

Reminder - note that my URL has changed:  http://dre.natverk.org/elecwin.htm
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 03:13:59 PM

I like new design... Nice job flatfly!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 03:23:52 PM

Hi Flatfly,

I like the new page layout !

Have you thought of creating a PGP key and signing the installers ?
I started doing it for multibit a couple of weeks ago and it does not take long to set up.
It was just a matter of installing gpg, creating a key and uploading it to a keyserver.

That way people can verify the download was really built by you. It also makes it easier/safer for other people to mirror your downloads which might be useful in the future if and when Bitcoin gets more popular.

:-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:20:18 PM

I like new design... Nice job flatfly!

Glad you like it! However, the Qt framework deserves most of the credit, not me Smiley
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:22:49 PM

Hi Flatfly,

I like the new page layout !

Have you thought of creating a PGP key and signing the installers ?
I started doing it for multibit a couple of weeks ago and it does not take long to set up.
It was just a matter of installing gpg, creating a key and uploading it to a keyserver.

That way people can verify the download was really built by you. It also makes it easier/safer for other people to mirror your downloads which might be useful in the future if and when Bitcoin gets more popular.

:-)

Thanks for the suggestion! Signing my builds has been on my to-do list for a while, actually. So, coming soon Smiley
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 09:03:15 AM

With all this url switching, have you considered just getting a top level domain so you can change the DNS whenever you move servers. That way people always know where to find your builds Smiley

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 01:00:55 PM

@flatfly: I am making here the same remark as I made in bitcats thread. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131762.msg1445858#msg1445858)

Electrum is free software, released under the GNU GPL Licence.
This means that third parties who distribute builds must publish the source code they used to create the build, the compiling instructions for the build, and any modification they made to the code.

I do not think that using commercial software to create your builds is in itself a violation of the licence.
However, all the modifications you have made to the original code must be published, as well as the method you used to create the build.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:39:51 PM

@flatfly: I am making here the same remark as I made in bitcats thread. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131762.msg1445858#msg1445858)

Electrum is free software, released under the GNU GPL Licence.
This means that third parties who distribute builds must publish the source code they used to create the build, the compiling instructions for the build, and any modification they made to the code.

I do not think that using commercial software to create your builds is in itself a violation of the licence.
However, all the modifications you have made to the original code must be published, as well as the method you used to create the build.

Agreed, I will publish that on my web page. 
sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 03:06:38 PM

Is there any way to sign a message with an address using electrum?  I want to quit using the satoshi client completely.

Is there a way to copy the signed message to the clipboard fast?  It's annoying to select it.

Not that I know of, as of the current release, but I could provide a quick/unofficial patch that automatically copies the signed message to the clipboard, if you're interested.

That would be great!

Here you go! This is a simple mod of the wallet.py file that automatically copies signatures to the clipboard.

To use it, make sure you are running Windows build 1.01e of Electrum,

go to this directory: %AppData%\Electrum_SysFiles\1.01-e\C_\ElectrumPY\lib
 and replace the original wallet.py file in there with the one below:

Download
Size: 41686 bytes
SHA1: d18a4d273105a80a2e655ddabc2513dd004053ec

(for your info, the only source code changes are lines 477-478 and importing the Qt library - feel free to manually review the file if you're familiar with Python)

Just found a real easy way to do this.  You can append "| clip" to a command and windows 7/vista will copy the output to clipboard.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28473/how-to-copy-output-text-from-the-command-line-to-the-windows-clipboard/

I just used autohotkey to enter "electrum signmessage bitcoinaddress", paste the message, and then autohotkey "| clip" and the signed message is copied to clipboard.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: