Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:31:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUESTS] Minimal Electrum builds for Windows  (Read 47166 times)
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 04:39:48 PM

Ok did some more testing.

Via de console it can create the wallets just fine, no problem.

When starting the latest download by simply double clicking it I get a wallet created 50% of the time give or take. Other times it's just doing nothing. I can't rule out server problems at this point.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:04:20 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 10:06:04 AM by flatfly

Ok did some more testing.

Via de console it can create the wallets just fine, no problem.

When starting the latest download by simply double clicking it I get a wallet created 50% of the time give or take. Other times it's just doing nothing. I can't rule out server problems at this point.

I've just done some testing, and I may have found something.
At the server selection dialog, make sure you don't connect to "electrum.bitcoins.sk" as
it is dead (as far as I can tell).
The problem is that it's currently among the 3 hardcoded server names in the client, which causes issues at wallet creation or restore if the client happens to choose that one. (The server selection logic in the console version is slightly different and doesn't have seem to have that problem)

Let me know if that solves your issue or not.

@ThomasV: you may want to have a look at this little issue Smiley

EDIT: also, why does wallet creation even bring up that server dialog, anyway? The process is completely local, isn't it?
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 08:44:46 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2012, 10:05:41 AM by flatfly

I confirm the client is currently failing to create new wallets roughly 30% of the time due to the above reason.  I guess electrum.bitcoins.sk must be removed from the hard-coded list, and/or the (GUI) client must not try to connect to a server during wallet creation - unless I am missing something?

In the meantime, I will prepare and push out a build later today with the electrum.bitcoins.sk server entry removed.
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 10:12:52 AM

I confirm the client is currently failing to create new wallets roughly 30% of the time due to the above reason.  I guess electrum.bitcoins.sk must be removed from the hard-coded list, and/or the (GUI) client must not try to connect to a server during wallet creation - unless I am missing something?

In the meantime, I will prepare and push out a build later today with the electrum.bitcoins.sk server entry removed.

Awesome, thanks for the update.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 11:39:54 AM

The Windows minimal build for release 0.60 is ready! (Download page in my signature.)

Changelist in 0.60 is in this post.

I also decided to leave in my little block count display mod
for now, as it makes troubleshooting some issues a little easier.
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 09:34:59 AM

The Windows minimal build for release 0.60 is ready! (Download page in my signature.)

Changelist in 0.60 is in this post.

I also decided to leave in my little block count display mod
for now, as it makes troubleshooting some issues a little easier.

I've discussed the block count mod with Thomas and he only would accept a pull request if the code only shows in expert mode. I've supplied a pull request for him. (Also wrote a pull request for the original client's style of confirmation icons which I hope Thomas might accept.)

I'm having trouble getting 0.60 to connect to my server. The normal python version works fine but for some reason the windows version just keeps connecting. Any idea why that could be? (no errors on neither side)

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 10:25:28 AM

Can't connect to any server or just to your server? What is the server name? Also, try both tcp and http and see if one works.

Ps: thanks for the pull request!
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 12:29:10 PM

It seems I can't connect to any servers with the windows build. I do remember an out of memory error popped up when I ran the .exe for the first time. Perhaps I can repeat that initial extracting by removing the files it extracts? Can I start clean somehow?

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 01:45:07 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 02:02:09 PM by flatfly

It seems I can't connect to any servers with the windows build. I do remember an out of memory error popped up when I ran the .exe for the first time. Perhaps I can repeat that initial extracting by removing the files it extracts? Can I start clean somehow?

Sure, to start clean, just delete (or rename) the below directory:
  %appdata%\Electrum_SysFiles\0.60

Perhaps some files failed to extract properly the first time? 

If you do get that memory error again, please post a screenshot if possible.
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 02:05:29 PM

I removed the folder and it did re-extract it when I ran it now but it still won't connect. Since I can't even get 0.59 to work anymore I'm pretty sure it's a local problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 02:28:51 PM

I removed the folder and it did re-extract it when I ran it now but it still won't connect. Since I can't even get 0.59 to work anymore I'm pretty sure it's a local problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just another thought, can you still create new wallets fine or even that doesn't work anymore?

Also, do you get any error messages if you launch the console (shift-click the executable) then just type 'electrum' ?
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 08:42:52 PM

I moved my original wallet out of place and created a new one, everything is working again. Somehow my wallet got corrupted?

After trying to connect to an other server; wallet seems bugged again, can't connect to any of the servers again.

Weird stuff happening ^

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 09:02:52 PM

I moved my original wallet out of place and created a new one, everything is working again. Somehow my wallet got corrupted?

After trying to connect to an other server; wallet seems bugged again, can't connect to any of the servers again.

Weird stuff happening ^

I've actually had something like that happen to me a while ago. The wallet file also contains user preferences, including server settings, so a corrupted wallet can cause connection issues. There must be an unidentified bug still lying around that only manifests itself under certain conditions.

If you have the chance (and enough patience!), it would be interesting to compare the corrupted wallet and the good one in a text editor, to see if anything jumps out as unusual.
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 09:26:29 PM

Weird stuff happening ^
Can you open your wallet file, find where the server string is and delete the "u" in front of the server, and check if it works then?
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 11:07:23 PM

If you have the chance (and enough patience!), it would be interesting to compare the corrupted wallet and the good one in a text editor, to see if anything jumps out as unusual.

I took some time to compare the two but because my original wallet has so much more activity in it it's hard to compare. I couldn't find anything that looked really faulty.

Can you open your wallet file, find where the server string is and delete the "u" in front of the server, and check if it works then?

Tried it but made no difference.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 11:29:45 PM

I took some time to compare the two but because my original wallet has so much more activity in it it's hard to compare. I couldn't find anything that looked really faulty.

Tried it but made no difference.

Or you could perhaps try to compare the new wallet before and after it goes bad?  So the files will be less cluttered...

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 08:22:17 AM

Or you could perhaps try to compare the new wallet before and after it goes bad?  So the files will be less cluttered...

Ah good idea, I can probably do a diff on the files before and after trying a reconnect. Will do that later today Smiley

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:16:33 PM

Ah good idea, I can probably do a diff on the files before and after trying a reconnect. Will do that later today Smiley

Just wondering, have you had a chance to try that?
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 11:56:43 AM

No I did not yet, kinda slipped my mind. The "funny" thing is though that I'm getting the same problem on Linux. So I'm guessing it's not totally related to the Windows client.

flatfly (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:05:39 PM

Or you could perhaps try to compare the new wallet before and after it goes bad?  So the files will be less cluttered...

No I did not yet, kinda slipped my mind. The "funny" thing is though that I'm getting the same problem on Linux. So I'm guessing it's not totally related to the Windows client.

Well this is getting strange... Just minutes after your reply, I started having the same problem!!
Stays forever stuck on "Connecting...", no matter what server I try. I do see some network
traffic, though.

The good news is that I will be able to investigate more easily Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: