Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:54:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 523 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Scientific proof that God exists?  (Read 845455 times)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:26:56 AM

Using your own argument, that would mean that 'god the father' could not exist since he would first need to make the universe and then his son (to be a father). Regardless, I can equally assert that spaghetti exists only because the FSM created it in his own image, the same way christians insist they are created in god's image. No more contradiction. Bottom line is, that when it comes to god, there's no (scientific) way to (prove or) disprove it's existance, regardless of which god(s) your are talking about, which is the whole premise behind Russell's teapot. (Just for sake of argument, you cannot view the entire solar system through the Hubble telescope at once, nevermind a teapot god that may wish to remain undiscovered.)

With all due respect, this discussion only digressed somewhat to semantics since you were implying these terms mean something they do not. I am not arbitrarily saying anything and have already linked sources to the validity my assertions. If you insist you can arbitrarily give words their meanings, then I suppose I have nothing left say.

I'm hardly arbitrarily giving words meaning when I quote the definition of 'god' from a dictionary reference and then apply that definition in context.  But, then again, I'm not attempting to prove the existence of God, I'm simply arguing that the FSM is a bad analogy.  It's a bad analogy specifically because analogies only work if the characteristics of the things being compared are similar.

Am I missing the point of the analogy? I thought these things were always brought up in the same abstract vein; that is, you can't prove god exists any more than you can disprove there is a teapot/FSM/whatever-else. The analogy isn't about which mythical creature exists or what properties and powers it may or may not have, it's about the existence of mythical creatures period. From this view, I think the analogy is fine.

It's not fine because god is not a 'creature.'  Again, the problem with the analogy is that it tries to back a theist into a corner that doesn't exist by assuming that empiricism is the only means by which you can prove the existence of God when what we're really exploring is a totally abstract concept.  It simply doesn't work.  Imagine if I likened, for example, the abstract laws of mathematics to a "mythical creature" or the FSM or a space teapot.  Would you let me get away with such an analogy?

FSM or the 'Teapot' aren't creatures either. They're gods. Analogy seems find to me.

So you're telling me the FSM is not made of spaghetti, can't fly, and is not a monster, all of which would invoke conditionality and therefore render it impossible of being a monotheistic god?  And when Richard Dawkins asks us to imagine the assertion of a teapot existing in some unknown extra-planetary orbit that he's talking about an abstract teapot around some abstract orbit?

The ways in which we are asked to consider the FSM and teapot are irrelevant to the debate about the existence of God.  They aren't asserted to be some conditional form, like Jesus, that an omnipotent God would be able to assume if it chose.  The FSM and teapot would make better analogies for Jesus than God.

So yes, it's a bad analogy.  It's a dead argument before it even gets off the ground.  You're better off just arguing against the assertion of what God actually is according to whoever it is you're arguing against.

Just had to chime in here... While I understand your points about the abstraction of god, I think you're reading into the details too much. I think the FSM/teapot analogy is totally valid. The whole point of it is merely to show that it is illogical to assume that anything extraordinary exists without seeing evidence for it. By assuming an entity exists (for which there is no evidence, or even no possible way to even test for its existence), you logically have to also assume that any other such entities are just as likely to exist, and therefore just as valid. It doesn't prove or disprove the existence of god, as much as it shows that assuming such things is illogical and counter-productive.

This thread sure has given me a laugh, and taught me a thing or two. I'm not religious, but I do find it funny listening to religious people try and validate their views by alternately cherry-picking science and quoting the Bible. BADecker - you are probably the worst offender in this respect, one minute you're saying things like: "Machine Universe proves the existence of God", "Evolution is a scientific impossibility" etc, and the next you're quoting Bible passages to back up your claims! Most religious people accept that their beliefs are not provable, that's why they call it "faith" when you believe weird stuff with no evidence.

The fact that some of you seem to be looking to science to rationalise your religious views strikes me as refreshing in a way, as it suggests that you're questioning your views and retaining at least a little open-mindedness. Try and lose the confirmation bias, and you might get somewhere!

The selection that I bolded above is precisely why it's a bad analogy, and again, it's bad because it's totally irrelevant.

I'm not reading into details too much, but rather those who assert this analogy are interjecting details where they have no business being interjected and glossing over them as if they're totally insignificant.

The whole point is that it's impossible to find evidence that would prove the existence of God specifically because the scope of the scientific method and empiricism doesn't extend that far.

The simple rebuttal to the analogy is that there are two major types of knowledge:  1) a posteriori knowledge, i.e. knowledge based upon evidence/experience, and 2) a priori knowledge which is independent of evidence/experience.  The FSM and teapot analogies focus *only* on a posteriori knowledge, and the problem arises when those who assert the FSM and teapot analogies fail to recognize that proof of God, if it can exist, can *only* be derived from a priori knowledge.

Accordingly, again, it's a bad, totally invalid analogy.  My simple rebuttal is, "Yeah, screw that analogy, what a priori knowledge do you have that you can use to argue against the existence of God?"

It's. A. Bad. Analogy.  Russel and Dawkins fucked up, deal with it.

Disclaimer:  Though I've mentioned it before, I'm not Christian, and I don't adhere to any particular religion, though I do believe in God inasmuch as I believe the Universe is essentially a mental construct.
bl4kjaguar

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:28:19 AM

Is that post supposed to be a joke? Would you message me in private with such questions?

It's not a joke at all.  I find you very hypocritical.  You ask that others try your god, but you won't even try sodomy.  You ask that others read your bible, but have you read the FSM scripture?

I never asked that others try my God, and you cannot quote me asking the same. I perceive that you have lied.

Yes, I did buy a copy of the FSM book and read it more than once. I like the cosmological argument at the end.

However, our duty is to submit ourselves to the established limits of our intelligence, and not perversely to rebel against them. Science has, from the first, kept hold of more or less nescience as though it were a part of science, when it is not.

1CuUwTT21yZmZvNmmYYhsiVocczmAomSVa
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3084

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:32:44 AM

I've emptied my bowels
and laid out the towels.
I'm ready for romance!

Her chastity belt has locks
So sometimes you need to think "outside the box".

Wink

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:36:21 AM

I perceive that you have lied.

Vod,
I perceive your hypocrisy, but I will not judge you for it.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:40:30 AM

Vod,

Same.

"Thou shalt not steal".

Wink

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:46:25 AM

Vod,

Same.

"Thou shalt not steal".

Wink

This thread is not about my creditors nor the people who left me negative trust. Trust is not shown in the off-topic forum because it is off-topic here.

Smiley

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:48:14 AM

Vod,

Same.

"Thou shalt not steal".

Wink

This thread is not about my creditors nor the people who left me negative trust. Trust is not shown in the off-topic forum because it is off-topic here.

Smiley

Oh your god can't see this thread?

Or maybe you are suggesting if you can't see your negative trust, it doesn't exist?   No one has ever seen your god either. 

Wink

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:50:56 AM

Is it not possible that there is a mode of being as much transcending Intelligence and Will, as these transcend mechanical motion? Doubtless we are totally unable to imagine any such higher mode of being. But this is not a reason for questioning its existence; it is rather the reverse.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:52:42 AM

You have to admit it's hypocritical to ask others to follow your god when you don't even follow it's COMMANDMENTS yourself.

Wouldn't you agree?

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:54:48 AM

You have to admit it's hypocritical to ask others to follow your god when you don't even follow it's COMMANDMENTS yourself.

Wouldn't you agree?

I know that you are behaving like a hypocrite and you do not know anything about my situation.

You presume everything, and you care not one iota about God's Law.

We have already agreed that you are a hypocrite, and that is enough agreement for me.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:55:43 AM

Wouldn't you agree?

See how you ignore the questions?   Wink

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 12:58:44 AM

Wouldn't you agree?

See how you ignore the questions?   Wink
I wouldn't agree.
I don't have to agree with you.
Because I have the facts and you have not spoken to my creditors.
See how that works?
Cease your hypocrisy in this thread; you are full of presumptions and lies and you have no shame; I don't need your agreement to see that.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:00:00 AM

We have already agreed that you are a hypocrite, and that is enough agreement for me.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

Tell me, do you follow any of the commandments?

I don't need to speak to your creditors to know you stole.  

Wink

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:01:39 AM

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

Tell me, do you follow any of the commandments?

I don't need to speak to your creditors to know you stole.  

Wink

It means nothing if you claim to know something because you are a hypocrite by all accounts and you don't even take yourself seriously in this thread.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:02:44 AM

Cease your hypocrisy in this thread; you are full of presumptions and lies and you have no shame.

You are an "excellent" example of "do as I say, not as I do".   Cheesy

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:04:23 AM

Cease your hypocrisy in this thread; you are full of presumptions and lies and you have no shame.

Hmmm, and how many examples of my bad behavior do you have?

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:06:36 AM

Back to basics, like existence:

Is it not possible that there is a mode of being as much transcending Intelligence and Will, as these transcend mechanical motion? Doubtless we are totally unable to imagine any such higher mode of being. But this is not a reason for questioning its existence; it is rather the reverse.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:07:01 AM

Hmmm, and how many examples of my bad behavior do you have?

I listed two of the commandments you have broken within the last five minutes!

I really don't care about you enough to go slinging through your post history to see others you have broken.

I just find it funny how closed minded you are.   Wink

bl4kjaguar

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:32:44 AM

Breach of Contract is not the same as theft. Insolvency is not the same as theft either. Do you have some privileged knowledge which defines otherwise?

I would not expect a hypocrite to understand the truth about anything. It was the hypocrites who murdered Christ, and you are ready to accuse me of anything when we could instead be having a reasoned conversation.

I never asked anyone to try my God, and I will not do so. So where on Earth did you get that notion (if you don't mind me asking)?

The beliefs which Science has forced upon Religion, have been intrinsically more religious than those which they supplanted, and Science has but very incompletely fulfilled its office. So it is useless to use Science to prove God because God is a mode of being as much transcending Intelligence and Will as these transcend mechanical motion.

But in any case we can see how Religion and Science may one day be at peace with each other.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2014, 01:34:47 AM

It is impossible to have a "reasoned conversation" with a brainwashed person.  Your mind is closed.   Undecided

Pages: « 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... 523 »
  Print  

Jump to: