Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 ... 612 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA  (Read 1289610 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:23:02 AM

What would you rather we talk about?

Where you go from here.

-You very nearly released a market with a critical bug. The SDC Team has pushed headstrong into dev of market before really testing/peer reviewing the anon.

-Could there be more critical bugs?

-If Tecnovert is no longer in the picture then how will SDC manage without a cryptographer

-Asking why an official Team blogpost was released prematurely claiming anon unbroken when in fact was broken.

-Asking why The Team could not find the bug after 10+ hrs of internal testing without more help from the bug finder.

-How to reassure users they can trust the anon?

i.e. some attempt to learn from mistakes made. pretty basic stuff really.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ontopicplease

Activity: 778

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:50:27 AM

Where you go from here.

-You very nearly released a market with a critical bug. The SDC Team has pushed headstrong into dev of market before really testing/peer reviewing the anon.

-If Tecnovert is no longer in the picture then how will SDC manage without a cryptographer

-Asking why an official Team blogpost was released prematurely claiming anon unbroken when in fact was broken.

-Asking why The Team could not find the bug after 10+ hrs of internal testing without more help from the bug finder.

I can't say anything thing else than this man is telling the truth. The dev(s) made huge mistakes. Shadow is a big disappointment for guys like me, who have invested a lot of money in shadow for more than a year. There is actually one thing, I don't really understand, why are there still so many buyers? After the news, I expected SDC to go minus 80% or so. Is this problem so easy to solve?
Putting it all together, the big mistakes, the time we have been waiting, I only can conclude this project looks very fragile.
Simss

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:36:37 AM

why too stout fud in this tread Huh Huh Huh
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:22:00 AM

Where you go from here.

I can't say anything thing else than this man is telling the truth. The dev(s) made huge mistakes. Shadow is a big disappointment for guys like me, who have invested a lot of money in shadow for more than a year. There is actually one thing, I don't really understand, why are there still so many buyers? After the news, I expected SDC to go minus 80% or so. Is this problem so easy to solve?
Putting it all together, the big mistakes, the time we have been waiting, I only can conclude this project looks very fragile.

Nah, Shadowcoin is completely fine. The issue has been vastly overblown, aimed for maximum damage towards Shadowcoin. It speaks volumes how a FUD army of newbie accounts comes in to talk shit about the project, and promote their own. (In this case Monero) If anything, I'm disappointed that parts of their community can behave so lowly.

By nature, no software is secure and claiming otherwise is naive. Bitcoin, Monero, Shadowcoin, Dash, cannot (and do not) claim that their security is impenetrable. Human mistakes happen and code is imperfect. Most serious cryptocurrencies (including Shadowcoin) even have a bug bounty program for this precise reason.

While I'm glad Shnoe pointed out this major security flew, he went about in the wrong way. The standard professional (and respectful) course of action is to resolve security issues in a private manner -not by making a public blog post about it. Privately exposing bugs is not about "withholding information" or "hiding incompetence" or anything of the sort. People privately expose bugs to reducing the chance of exploiting the bug, and giving the developers time to properly resolve the bug.

Now give Shadowcoin some leniency, stop spreading FUD, and move on with your life.

Smooth already pointed out that it's not the best way to make it privately and in my eyes he is absolutely right with that:

code: You're wrong about the minimizing the damage. I get what you're trying to say, but you occasionally leave out the possibility that such disclosures can cause (financial) damage without even having to be true.

There is no way to minimize the "financial damage" by reporting it privately, except to allow insiders to trade ahead of everyone else. Brilliant idea.

If the report were untrue, that would be a different matter. It certainly was true. If anything, more financial damage was caused by the false "Deanonymized? Nope" statement put out by the Shadowcash team about the report being incorrect and that it couldn't be reproduced after 10 hours of work by your core developers. That may have misled people into making trades on the basis of a false statement (yours). That's what I call financial damage.

Maybe you guys should have worked on it privately instead of making a statement to (falsely) calm the market when you didn't know what you were talking about.

child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:12:32 PM

Where you go from here.

Nah, Shadowcoin is completely fine. The issue has been vastly overblown, aimed for maximum damage towards Shadowcoin. It speaks volumes how a FUD army of newbie accounts comes in to talk shit about the project, and promote their own. (In this case Monero) If anything, I'm disappointed that parts of their community can behave so lowly.

By nature, no software is secure and claiming otherwise is naive. Bitcoin, Monero, Shadowcoin, Dash, cannot (and do not) claim that their security is impenetrable. Human mistakes happen and code is imperfect. Most serious cryptocurrencies (including Shadowcoin) even have a bug bounty program for this precise reason.

While I'm glad Shnoe pointed out this major security flew, he went about in the wrong way. The standard professional (and respectful) course of action is to resolve security issues in a private manner -not by making a public blog post about it. Privately exposing bugs is not about "withholding information" or "hiding incompetence" or anything of the sort. People privately expose bugs to reducing the chance of exploiting the bug, and giving the developers time to properly resolve the bug.

Now give Shadowcoin some leniency, stop spreading FUD, and move on with your life.

I don't think you realize quite how close this came to a monumental disaster. Had the market been released prior to this the damage done would have been exponentially greater and the ShadowMarket un-trustable thereafter.

The entire chain ws deanonymized which is pretty much the worst thing one could imagine happening. Should such a fate befall DASH or XMR the markets and crypto-community would likely be less forgiving than some members of this community.

More immediately SDC seemingly has no crytorapher, so how will this (and potential future) critical flaw be fixed properly?

SDC has poor distro and a few large bagholders. It is accordingly difficult to judge anything by the SDC market price imo.

erok

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:41:24 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2016, 04:04:56 PM by erok

I don't think you realize quite how close this came to a monumental disaster. Had the market been released prior to this the damage done would have been exponentially greater and the ShadowMarket un-trustable thereafter.

The entire chain ws deanonymized which is pretty much the worst thing one could imagine happening. Should such a fate befall DASH or XMR the markets and crypto-community would likely be less forgiving than some members of this community.

More immediately SDC seemingly has no crytorapher, so how will this (and potential future) critical flaw be fixed properly?

SDC has poor distro and a few large bagholders. It is accordingly difficult to judge anything by the SDC market price imo.
But the market hadn't been released yet. So there goes your first point out the window.

Why would you think TV is gone? EDIT: Nevermind. Just learned TV is gone but since he fucked up ring sig maybe that is for the best. Confirmed Ryno still at the helm with the rest of the team.

SDC has one of the best DISTRIBUTIONs in crypto since the fairlaunch, the price has helped many new people get into it, it is not an IPO/ICO and did not have a premine or a million on it's first block. Sorry you dumped. QQ.

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
Wanderlust

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 04:43:28 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2016, 04:58:27 PM by Wanderlust

1. You miss my point
2. Cursing TV now? Bad form
3. Community way too small to have good distro.
You know this.

2/10

PS the fact the you, erok, did not know about TV's departure is worrying/telling. Hang in there bro

PPS and what of team member ludx?

PPS LongAndShort - hello?
nond17

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:00:03 PM

This whole thing has had maliciousness written all over it.
It's reminiscent of the Monero vs Darkcoin feuds from some time ago that I found disgusting to witness...
Monero fanboys spamming the Dark thread endlessly.

It was quite vicious back then.

Darkcoin eventually won that spat & I haven't thought much about the monero trolls since then...

-Can ShadowCash use this in it's favor by implementing a fix that addresses upcoming quantum computing threats ?

-Perhaps make the market more appealing to Agorists & Libertarians who would like to transact regular purchases outside of government reach.
(I've long thought alternative community currencies & marketplaces are more important than a silkroad type market.)
Especially with the upcoming fiat currency & global market blood-bath,
the arrival of negative interest rates now charged by European banks & coming soon to all banks.
& Also the war against cash... Many countries are now forbidding withdrawals of over a few thousand euros.
Purchases made using a few thousand Dollars/Euros can get you reported to authorities for "suspicious activity"
Something to consider.

-Perhaps enable the use of multiple currencies like Dash & Vert alongside ShadowCash in the market.
Could you possibly integrate shapeshift into the shadow wallet/market ?
Exchanges are still a weak point in the anonymity chain...

Sorry if some of these ideas seem stupid.

I still feel Monero is too bloated to win the day & their MyMonero Webwallet seems incompatible with anonymity.
All is not rosey in their camp, Monero has it's own concerns & issues no doubt...

I really don't think Monero trolls would be so hostile & nasty if they didn't feel genuinely threatened by ShadowCash's potential.

All my appreciation to Ryno & the ShadowDevs, I hope ShadowCash emerges from this with some new unforeseen features & innovations.

Wanderlust

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:03:53 PM

yes but

They deanon'd the whole chain

And by doing so saved larger calamity

It is time to b humble
nond17

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:15:19 PM

It is time to b humble

It's always a good time to be humble.
I don't remember ShadowCash ever not being humble.
erok

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:15:39 PM

yes but

It is time to b humble
I thought we were being humble by accepting the lumps and moving on. You are the one that keeps trolling. We were even talking about security risks associated with quantum computers and you chimed like "HAY LOOK AT MEEEEE".

And yeah I missed TV leaving but that shouldn't be concerning considering that I am not a part of the SDC team. I just like to troll trolls.

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:23:07 PM

yes but

It is time to b humble

You and every else is blowing the severity of the bug out of proportion, for your own malicious agenda. They only thing this does is reveal which public key in the ring signature is the actually sending coins.

The required use of stealth addresses still protects the recipient of each transaction. I believe the token system also offers some protection.
Wanderlust

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:24:45 PM

yes but

It is time to b humble
I thought we were being humble by accepting the lumps and moving on. You are the one that keeps trolling. We were even talking about security risks associated with quantum computers and you chimed like "HAY LOOK AT MEEEEE".

And yeah I missed TV leaving but that shouldn't be concerning considering that I am not a part of the SDC team. I just like to troll trolls.

I don't c much humility, more anger.

Bottom line SDC got p0wned hard

That the most active community member wasn't aware of TV's  departure is...
Wanderlust

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:26:32 PM

yes but

It is time to b humble

You and every else is blowing the severity of the bug out of proportion, for your own malicious agenda. They only thing this does is reveal which public key in the ring signature is the actually sending coins.

The required use of stealth addresses still protects the recipient of each transaction. I believe the token system also offers some protection.

Complete de-anon? Blowing outta proportion?

Pass the pipe
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:27:14 PM

It is time to b humble

It's always a good time to be humble.
I don't remember ShadowCash ever not being humble.
+5%
rutherford

Activity: 624

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:39:23 PM

wheatclove: Stop using words you don't understand

█████████████████████████████
██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
█████████████████████████████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
SebSebastian

Activity: 286

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:45:18 PM

Fu fu fu fu fu fu fu fu

U fucking saffer asshole mofos

Mr Humility in action.

ShadowCash     |     ShadowSend     |     ShadowCore     |     ShadowChat    |     ShadowGo     |     ShadowMarket    
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:21:16 PM

yes but

It is time to b humble

Complete de-anon? Blowing outta proportion?

Pass the pipe

It wasn't completely de-anonned. Only a very limited amount of stealth transactions got unstealthed.

Correction: all of the ring signatures got unringed.
jahl

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:12:11 PM

so much love in here
jahl

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:47:36 PM

Would be nice if our graph could stop taking a shit.  Embarrassed

Untill they fix what is broken.. not looking too bright
Pages: « 1 ... 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 [514] 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 ... 612 »
  Print  

Jump to: