Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:10:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 Mining Guide / HOWTO  (Read 281368 times)
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:48:57 PM

Hi sorry TStarter. never got back to you. My working comp just frozed up bad again today. And I've been discussing the idea to a potential investor although this might head no where. I'm intending to expand to a small farm. Thus I'll need to script all these and learn as fast as I can how to remotely administer them. I'll try your guide again with a fresh install of Ubuntu.

After reading the whole thread again so I don't waste your time on any issues that's already been answered. I realize there is a fundamental difference as I'm running on LiveCD. However, I was able to get the miners to start in one of my installation though, so I'm sure it works too (w/ persistence), like I mention. I'll run the installation through with a fresh installation of LiveCD w/ persistence and let you know.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

Yeah this guide isn't intended for the Live versions of Ubuntu, only for dedicated installs.  Some people have apparently gotten it working, but it's just such a hassle and hard drives are dirt cheap and you are somewhat limited with a live install...

I plan on figuring out how to do this from a USB stick, after that I will probably look into adjusting for a Live install, but both come after I finish my current project which will hopefully be announced RSN.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:53:12 PM

does the stream sdk 2.1 support 6950 card?
Felex

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:06:16 AM

I did it all again, and now it's all installed, but it has one problem:

Code:
fgdsg@dfgdsgsdgdsg:~/poclbm$ ./poclbm.py
No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

[0] AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
[1] Cypress
[2] Cypress

What do i have to do to run it?

I wrote ./poclbm.py -d 1, but i get this:

Code:
Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC
Dyaheon

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:21:20 AM

I did it all again, and now it's all installed, but it has one problem:

Code:
fgdsg@dfgdsgsdgdsg:~/poclbm$ ./poclbm.py

[0] AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
[1] Cypress
[2] Cypress

What do i have to do to run it?

I wrote ./poclbm.py -d 1, but i get this:

Code:
Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC

You need to point your miner somewhere for it to work. i.e. create account+worker at btcguild and use http://www.btcguild.com/how_to_connect.php for instructions.

See also ./poclbm.py -h for help.
Felex

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:26:14 AM

LOL, i skip over that step.  Embarrassed
Thank you very much.
snidd111

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:49:00 AM

I feel like a n00b here, but does your guide work with nvidia chips? i read through all the pages and there's only one comment that I shouldn't use nvidia if it's onboard.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 03:03:05 AM

No, it doesn't.  It's for ATI only.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
SchizophrenicX

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 06:38:13 AM

Hi inaba, I'm using a USB stick Ubuntu LiveCD w/ persistence. I'll get back here to let you know if it works. I'll be doing x86 & x64 installations. Btw great guide. Theres another guide on the x86 yesterday but the commands vastly differs from yours, I'm pretty intrigue haha. Anyway let you know how things turn out.

Internet151

Activity: 174

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:31:48 AM

After tinkering with this for dozens of hours, I finally got this working on a USB flash drive. Yet after running through the 32-step configuration and restarting, my remote desktop client (Teamviewer) only shows me a black screen for this computer. Would any of you happen to know what's causing this and/or how to fix it?
chungenhung
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 03:05:53 PM

Can anyone do a quick guide on how to make it work with Phoenix miner?
Would I be able to simply download the Phoenix miner and start running or does it needs to be compiled?
Sorry, I am a noob when it comes to Linux.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 03:24:47 PM

After tinkering with this for dozens of hours, I finally got this working on a USB flash drive. Yet after running through the 32-step configuration and restarting, my remote desktop client (Teamviewer) only shows me a black screen for this computer. Would any of you happen to know what's causing this and/or how to fix it?

Can you SSH into the box?
Would I be able to simply download the Phoenix miner and start running or does it needs to be compiled?

Phoenix is downloaded as a part of this guide. You use it in the phoenix directory.

chungenhung
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 03:35:28 PM

ok, i see.
So, how do I run multiple instances each with its own window showing the progress?
I am guessing opening up a terminal, run instance 1, open another terminal, run instance 2, etc.
Ultimately I am looking to create shortcuts on desktop where I can just double click to launch individual miners.
Could you show the code to do that?

Thanks mate, will send donations
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 03:38:44 PM

Someone else should be able to help you with that.  I don't use Phoenix as it's too unstable.  But yes, you can open one terminal window for each instance.

voxobscuro

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:34:33 AM

Hey there, I think I've about got everything sorted but I've got one last hangup.  poclbm.py doesn't list the graphics card.  
I installed SDK 2.4, but other than that I followed the 64bit portion of the guide.  Well written too, thanks a lot. 

Code:
$sudo aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

* - Default adapter
$./poclbm.py
No protocol specified

[0] AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
$

I also tried testing pool mining on the CPU to see if I did everything right...but I think I've missed something because this is what I get:
Code:
$ ./poclbm.py --device=0 --user=___ --pass=___ --host=btcguild.com --port=8332
No protocol specified
Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 552, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 505, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/home/vox/sources/poclbm/BitcoinMiner.py", line 272, in miningThread
    self.loadKernel()
  File "/home/vox/sources/poclbm/BitcoinMiner.py", line 373, in loadKernel
    binaryW = open(cacheName, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '942631b5db2d61ba4bbed015ac746f71.elf'

Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC^C                  
bye

I did some searching around in the thread here, and read through much of it to solve my other problems, but nothing no this front.  I appreciate any insight.

EDIT:  I'm not sure if it matters.  The machine currently has a monitor installed, but I did all the config remotely.  I'm not planning on leaving a monitor attached to it, but I'm going to run it as a headless server/miner.

Thanks
-vox
befuddled

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:50:24 AM

Well one thing I did before following the instructions that's not explicitly there in the instructions, as mentioned in my post above, is I installed the proprietary ATI drivers. On the "Ubuntu Software Center", there was a package for the proprietary ATI fglrx driver. The ATI-APP-SDK 2.4 installation notes says that it requires these in order to work. If you don't install those first, don't you just get the default open-source "radeon" driver? Maybe that's why those who don't see their GPUs as available devices aren't detecting them. The OpenCL stack needs the proprietary ATI driver. I don't know for sure. Maybe someone who knows can confirm or deny.
voxobscuro

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:34:36 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2011, 01:47:01 AM by voxobscuro

I do have the AMD drivers installed.  I did that bit last night when I installed Ubuntu.  Good thought though....I had to double check to make sure I had done that.

Weird enough, now that I'm logged into the front end, I get this:
Code:

[0]     Barts
[1]     AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
$

No idea what "Barts" is...but I'm going to try mining with it!

Edit: nope. Same "permission denied" error message.  I wonder if I messed up some ownership somewhere...
Internet151

Activity: 174

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:06:24 AM

Can you SSH into the box?

Phoenix is downloaded as a part of this guide. You use it in the phoenix directory.

Yes, and I can still see the mouse move on the Ubuntu machine and left/right click still works through Teamviewer's black screen.
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 03:21:12 AM

Why are you using Teamviewer if you can use SSH?  Just do everything from SSH, running a desktop is kind of pointless on a mining box.  Is there some reason you want to maintain access to the desktop?

SchizophrenicX

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 03:34:37 AM

Hi Inaba. Does not running a desktop and have everything in command help reduce power consumption? I'm currently using LinuxCoin and it boots into desktop, after I have all my miners set up I just unplug the monitor. I'd like to know if there is certain advantage to 'not' running a desktop. I'm still trying to grasp what is SSH . Could u point me in the right directioN?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: