Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:41:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312379 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2017, 05:58:18 PM

Even though the price has gone up a bit, is now still a good time to buy more XMR?
ZEC is trading at almost 3x the price of Monero, and I personally feel that Monero is a much better product, with at least some support even if its mostly from darknet vendors right now.
Surely the price could go as high as Zcash, right?  
I don't think $40 to $50 is unreasonable if we get more exchanges and wallets supporting the coin, and start to see some clearnet websites start to accept payments in XMR.
(Or is this just wishful thinking?)

Yeah, the time to buy was when the price was .01 or better. One thing you can count on is volatility, maybe put some low ball bids in at .012 on the chance you get filled. Otherwise you are probably better off just cost averaging by buying each week to get the best average price. Monero and ZEC are both highly speculative and the traders decide what is fair price for both. Very few altcoins have taken out their all time high. Monero has already done that once, we have to see if that happens again. 

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 06:10:36 PM

I'm not a pro, but I see very few signs that we've topped yet.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 06:27:30 PM

Even though the price has gone up a bit, is now still a good time to buy more XMR?
ZEC is trading at almost 3x the price of Monero, and I personally feel that Monero is a much better product, with at least some support even if its mostly from darknet vendors right now.
I don't think $40 to $50 is unreasonable if we get more exchanges and wallets supporting the coin, and start to see some clearnet websites start to accept payments in XMR.

Yeah, the time to buy was when the price was .01 or better. One thing you can count on is volatility, maybe put some low ball bids in at .012 on the chance you get filled. Otherwise you are probably better off just cost averaging by buying each week to get the best average price. Monero and ZEC are both highly speculative and the traders decide what is fair price for both. Very few altcoins have taken out their all time high. Monero has already done that once, we have to see if that happens again. 

When the price was 0.006-0.01 people thought it is still too high and refused to buy expecting 0.004-0.005 which was told us that it will be on the horizon.
Personally I had small bids all the way to pretty much zero and the highest ones got filled when people simply dumped their treasures to my and other's bids.
Therefore, statement of calling 0.01 being the right price to buy is wisdom that do not help much today when the price is 0.016 or better. The future will tell if the current price is a good price to buy or a terrible price.
Personally I do not care the price anymore (I am so much on the water) but obviously I would wish higher price, not going to sell if the price is going to go down. It causes only capital gain taxes to pay at this point.
jay8291

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 07:00:37 PM

Of course Monero is better than Zcash bcoz it has been in Market for a longer time & is also accepted on many darknet websites, which i dont think Zcash will achieve until Monero is present.

████▄▄▀▀███▄▄▄
      ▄▀ █████████▄▄ ▀▀▄▄██
    ▄█▀ ████████▀▀▀▄▄  ▀████
  ▄██▌ ███▀▀▄▄▄▄████▌▐██▄▀██▌
 ▀▀▀   ▄▄▄██████████ █████▄▀█▄
▀███▌ ▄▄▀███████████ ███████▄▀
 ███▌▐███▄ ▀███████▌▐█████████
  ██▌▐██████▄▀▀████ ███████████
   █▌▐█████████▄▀██ ████▀▀▀▄▄
   ▀ ████████████   ▄▄▄▄████
     ██████▀▀▀▄▄▄█▄ ██████
     ▀▀ ▄▄▄████████▌▐███
             ▀▀▀▀▀██ ▀

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

▄██████████████████▄
██▀              ▀██
██                ██
██                ██
██    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ██
██   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██
██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██
██                ██
██                ██
██                ██
██▄              ▄██
▀██████████████████▀
WP
▀ ▀▀▀

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 07:25:38 PM

Of course Monero is better than Zcash bcoz it has been in Market for a longer time & is also accepted on many darknet websites, which i dont think Zcash will achieve until Monero is present.

Better / worse are debatable. I do think that XMR wins but I do hold some ZEC just in case. I also hold far more XMR.

What isn't debatable is that the vast majority of XMR that will exist is already on the tradeable market. ZEC will take another 5-6 years to get to the same supply of tokens as XMR. As such it's likely that ZEC will be far more volatile and in the very short term, will keep losing value as the supply keeps on rapidly increasing.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4896

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 07:28:52 PM

Whoever this is should move it north.

Code:
0.0054%	17437.72358261	2-7 Days

It is an invitation, someone wants us to go on a large leverage Long position. Good news! So he can dump on you easily - we will see tomorrow evening! ;-)

Actually, it's an invitation to short...  when you short XMR you need to borrow XMR, when you go long on margin you're borrowing BTC.

Of course it was, but it could have been quite a bit higher for more profit. There was a huge amount bought up before it. Those stuck shorting should have to pay more to try to push price down when trapped.

I speculate thaT BTC WILL DROP SOON AND (FUCKING CAPS LOCK) xmr will drop a bit wirh profit taking so on the next spike I'm gonna convert to usd and rebuy on the btc low.

Lets see how this works out, last time i called it on the head but screwed my self by not having the capitol available to get back in! Lol

I have totally no insider info on this one.

No-one does. Welcome to the mainstream.

Well I perhaps did have some when amassing my 500k position that was later stolen...  Tongue

Just saying that every once in a while, someone does.

Disclaimer: "my" refers to undisclosed entities.

Didn't know you got 500k stolen! where did you post that? isthere a thread on it? I'd like to know the particulars.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 07:53:13 PM

I speculate thaT BTC WILL DROP SOON AND (FUCKING CAPS LOCK)

Wait?  Why are you yelling at me? Tongue

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:13:01 PM

Because you are so stuck on him.  Just back off, OK?
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:21:33 PM

Better / worse are debatable. I do think that XMR wins but I do hold some ZEC just in case. I also hold far more XMR.

What isn't debatable is that the vast majority of XMR that will exist is already on the tradeable market. ZEC will take another 5-6 years to get to the same supply of tokens as XMR. As such it's likely that ZEC will be far more volatile and in the very short term, will keep losing value as the supply keeps on rapidly increasing.

I would dump the zec ASAP as it will soon become apparent that zooko and the Israeli government can pull them out of its ass and all that secrecy and theatrical events to launch the coin was just that....
Bibite

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:26:17 PM

if Monero gets traction in China we could easily see it at $40 pretty quick, right now trading is almost exclusive to Poloniex, exciting times for crypto holders
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:35:47 PM

Nothing to add...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kkzl2OFx6k
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4896

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 08:39:12 PM

Because you are so stuck on him.  Just back off, OK?

ROTFLMAO, it's this damn laptop keyboard!

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 09:55:46 PM

I speculate thaT BTC WILL DROP SOON AND (FUCKING CAPS LOCK) xmr will drop a bit ...

Dude... yah okay your CapsLock key is broken but wtf : don't you have a BACKSPACE key...?  LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 10:00:31 PM

Whoever this is should move it north.

Code:
0.0054%	17437.72358261	2-7 Days

It is an invitation, someone wants us to go on a large leverage Long position. Good news! So he can dump on you easily - we will see tomorrow evening! ;-)

Actually, it's an invitation to short...  when you short XMR you need to borrow XMR, when you go long on margin you're borrowing BTC.

Of course it was, but it could have been quite a bit higher for more profit. There was a huge amount bought up before it. Those stuck shorting should have to pay more to try to push price down when trapped.

I speculate thaT BTC WILL DROP SOON AND (FUCKING CAPS LOCK) xmr will drop a bit wirh profit taking so on the next spike I'm gonna convert to usd and rebuy on the btc low.

Lets see how this works out, last time i called it on the head but screwed my self by not having the capitol available to get back in! Lol

I have totally no insider info on this one.

No-one does. Welcome to the mainstream.

Well I perhaps did have some when amassing my 500k position that was later stolen...  Tongue

Just saying that every once in a while, someone does.

Disclaimer: "my" refers to undisclosed entities.

Didn't know you got 500k stolen! where did you post that? isthere a thread on it? I'd like to know the particulars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PawZ8NsOQk8
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:27:33 AM

What ZEC is trading for is totally irrelevant. There's a coin called 42coin that's trading at $138, does that make it better than Monero? Of course, there are only 70 42coins in existence and its market cap is <10K. Zcash market cap is ~8% of Monero's. It's a bit player.
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:43:56 AM

What ZEC is trading for is totally irrelevant. There's a coin called 42coin that's trading at $138, does that make it better than Monero? Of course, there are only 70 42coins in existence and its market cap is <10K. Zcash market cap is ~8% of Monero's. It's a bit player.

70? Go inflation. There was supposed to be only 42 of that crap. That was the whole point.....lol "point"

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2017, 02:32:03 AM

Any smarty pants wish to explain how Cryptonote defeats this approach?

The Bayesian Method For Deanonymising A Large Percentage of Bitcoin Transactions
https://www.deepdotweb.com/2017/01/03/bayesian-method-deanonymising-large-percentage-bitcoin-transactions/

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jay8291

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 07:42:19 AM

Zcash was just launched 2 months ago with 0 supply. JUst wait, as the supply keeps increasing, the value will decrease...

████▄▄▀▀███▄▄▄
      ▄▀ █████████▄▄ ▀▀▄▄██
    ▄█▀ ████████▀▀▀▄▄  ▀████
  ▄██▌ ███▀▀▄▄▄▄████▌▐██▄▀██▌
 ▀▀▀   ▄▄▄██████████ █████▄▀█▄
▀███▌ ▄▄▀███████████ ███████▄▀
 ███▌▐███▄ ▀███████▌▐█████████
  ██▌▐██████▄▀▀████ ███████████
   █▌▐█████████▄▀██ ████▀▀▀▄▄
   ▀ ████████████   ▄▄▄▄████
     ██████▀▀▀▄▄▄█▄ ██████
     ▀▀ ▄▄▄████████▌▐███
             ▀▀▀▀▀██ ▀

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

▄██████████████████▄
██▀              ▀██
██                ██
██                ██
██    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ██
██   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██
██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██
██                ██
██                ██
██                ██
██▄              ▄██
▀██████████████████▀
WP
▀ ▀▀▀

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 11:11:24 AM

Any smarty pants wish to explain how Cryptonote defeats this approach?

The Bayesian Method For Deanonymising A Large Percentage of Bitcoin Transactions
https://www.deepdotweb.com/2017/01/03/bayesian-method-deanonymising-large-percentage-bitcoin-transactions/

I am not wearing pants, so I only correspond to the first half of your callout but...

They describe 3 steps:

1. Pinpointing the originators of the transactions.

2. Analysis of the blockchain is done to categorize bitcoin addresses belonging to the same user.

3. Obtaining multiple transactions originating from the same bitcoin address and categorizing bitcoin addresses according to users.

As you are aware the last two don't work with Monero. And the first one will be taken care of by kovri (c++ i2p router) .

AFAIK, the default behaviour when kovri is integrated in monero is to hookup over both clearnet and i2p.
Then you propagate your transactions through i2p first, and through clearnet with a small delay. That transaction will start popping  up in many nodes all over the network roughly at the same time.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 04, 2017, 12:59:35 PM

Hey TC, now is your chance!

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/87059/shen-noether-ringct-review-multisig-design-and-implementation

MULTISIG
Pages: « 1 ... 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 [1310] 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: