Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:35:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312576 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 03:47:26 PM

Serious setbacks and dumps are not happening.

There is too much buying pressure.

I remember when bitcoin rallied from 10'sh usd to 265.
Did not buy in the rally (unfortunately). However, I have pretty similar gut feeling of Monero - it has not done it yet. Too much buyers and now finally things has started to happen so selling now when things has rocking and rolling only 1 week feels pretty stupid.
I wonder who are these sellers...? How they make their decisions to sell? Probably they are just very desperate for cold cash (tax liabilities to pay?).

Venture capitalists? buy it for a pound sell it for 2 pounds

Yes we have some of those Venture capitalists also here convincing the Royal Bagholders to sell to them at low prices.

I'm just curious... you use the word "bagholder" a lot.  Do you know traditionally, in investing, what it means?

In Wall Street Bagholder has a little bit negative echo (usually people who are buying the pink shares from scam companies of pump and dump schemes).
However, in my terms it is refering to simple buy and hold which is the strategy of millionaires usually.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 03:47:55 PM

Just as bitcoin will likely fade under the scorching light of monero, so too will monero some.

In relative terms perhaps, but I expect BTC to appreciate for decades yet.  It will fail eventually, unless the tail mining support is established.  Monero will not.  What properties would compel us to adopt an alternative?  Only state dictat, I think, and that will not suffice to displace Monero from its current niche, ever.

How do we deal with the impending and eventual CPU power hack?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:00:40 PM

Update.

Number of Monero sold = 0

What will make you do it?

Honestly I do not know. 

Today I picked up 11 deposit containers worth 5 cents each.  Yes I did.  I remember when I could get 1 XMR for 5 of them.  Now the going rate is 270 deposit containers for 1 XMR.  Damn.  In today's value each 5 cent deposit container that I redeemed for Monero back then is worth $2.70 now.  Hot damn.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:10:27 PM

I'm just curious... you use the word "bagholder" a lot.  Do you know traditionally, in investing, what it means?

In Wall Street Bagholder has a little bit negative echo (usually people who are buying the pink shares from scam companies of pump and dump schemes).
However, in my terms it is refering to simple buy and hold which is the strategy of millionaires usually.

Worse really.  In the world of penny stocks it is the person who held until the paper was absolutely worthless. It's not a little negative it is all the way negative.  These are the people who the shills and evil minds behind penny stock scams live to relieve of their money.

Two points.  

Alt Coin land is pink sheets on steroids in the unregulated wild west of crypto. The virtual streets here will be three feet deep in the corpses of bagholders.

Second I have no qualms with a person who wishes to hold their entire investment to the end.  But we should not make light of the wise souls who sell to take some profits along the way.

We talk about pumps dumps and bagholders...  Sometimes the irony is to much for me to bear.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:16:27 PM

Serious setbacks and dumps are not happening.

There is too much buying pressure.

I remember when bitcoin rallied from 10'sh usd to 265.
Did not buy in the rally (unfortunately). However, I have pretty similar gut feeling of Monero - it has not done it yet. Too much buyers and now finally things has started to happen so selling now when things has rocking and rolling only 1 week feels pretty stupid.
I wonder who are these sellers...? How they make their decisions to sell? Probably they are just very desperate for cold cash (tax liabilities to pay?).

A lot of big (and smart) XMR holders are likely to have selling plans.
This means that they'll sell a certain percentage of their coins at a fixed price level.

Doing this eliminates emotional errors and risk.
Lots of these probably are hitting their selling targets now and sell.

I certainly did.

Those who sold sub 0.01 are complaining about selling too early.. So the selling plan will not work always in an optimal way. I bet many who sell now will regret if the price hits 100 usd/xmr.
On the other hand, the people holding only smaller amounts of coins will make the big guys even bigger in terms of size of the Monero pie. Those who sell will become poorer in Monero economy.
If I sold what shall I do with the fiat? Perhaps buy some Realty Income shares? Nah, only 4-5 % pa dividend yield. Buying gold? Probably not in large extent because Monero is better (although it doesn't glitter). Appartments? Probably... But again, I can do it also with the banker with 100 % financed so no money needed...

It's always about gold. In the end. Even if you never buy any, its always about how much you could buy, if you wanted to. Gold is the the tip of the liquidity pyramid. It is timeless, immutable money. It is money as decreed by the laws of nature and the universe its self. Its always about gold. Grin

Maybe this will explain what I mean. I  bet you could buy a space faring vessel from an alien species somewhere with gold. Try doing that with monero or apartments.

I also like some gold coins...And I even own around 10 oz.
That being said, I do not promote to go all in gold. Gold produces nothing and is good only for very short periods (and usually when you want to sell the dealers cannot give you a good rate or are closed because they do not want to buy high).
Most of the assets should be producing cash flow, not standing idle in the vaults of Switzerland. Appartments are giving me nice 10 % ROI and even higher ROE when using debt wisely.

I agree with all of that.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:23:13 PM

Some stats from moneroprice.i2p:

Total XMR volume: 128.6m XMR
Last 3 weeks XMR volume: 48m XMR

In last 3 weeks was 1/3 of all XMR volume. And since price is way higher now, that way lot more BTC volume.   This shows us how different trading of Monero is now  as it was in last 2 years.  We simply can't learn from past anymore since is totally new money and new people in XMR right now.

Bitsquare is a decentralized bitcoin exchange. Your funds are located on your own computer and there are no KYC/AML type of ID requirements. It's now even possible to run it on raspberry pi (albeit a bit slow).
But it's still relatively low volume, so we need more traders. Please consider checking it out. Come to #bitsquare on IRC if you have questions.

Everyone should use it more. I know changes are not what most people like and Poloniex is just cool but trading on more exchanges just help the coin. If not enough volume people will not bother trading there. Also Polo withdrawal limits. Trading here gives you none.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:24:13 PM

Just as bitcoin will likely fade under the scorching light of monero, so too will monero some.

In relative terms perhaps, but I expect BTC to appreciate for decades yet.  It will fail eventually, unless the tail mining support is established.  Monero will not.  What properties would compel us to adopt an alternative?  Only state dictat, I think, and that will not suffice to displace Monero from its current niche, ever.

How do we deal with the impending and eventual CPU power hack?

If you mean the devaluation of cryptonight, that is part and parcel with post-quantum crypto, in my view.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:28:11 PM

It's always about gold. In the end. Even if you never buy any, its always about how much you could buy, if you wanted to. Gold is the the tip of the liquidity pyramid. It is timeless, immutable money. It is money as decreed by the laws of nature and the universe its self. Its always about gold. Grin

Maybe this will explain what I mean. I  bet you could buy a space faring vessel from an alien species somewhere with gold. Try doing that with monero or apartments.

Really the only universal currency for the universe is energy.

From energy matter can be created or transformed, I'd imagine a sufficiently advanced civilisation to be able to turn dirt into gold, the key ingredient here is enough energy to perform the conversion.

If energy is the baseline currency of the universe, then what comes closer, Bitcoin (or another crypto) or gold?

This just boils down to the energy requirement and abundance of that resource.

There are asteroids full of gold, remember that dying stars make a lot of gold and spread it out among the cosmos.

Gold can be converted from something else, the question is, how long until mining one bitcoin (or one bitcoin worth of transactions) is of the same energy requirement that it takes to convert a lump of dirt into a lump of gold?

That's the thing, an advanced civilisation could take a ton of water and via matter conversion/particle accelerators or advanced almost magical technologies and turn that into a ton of gold.

They can't turn the water into Bitcoin or Monero.

Of course they can try and use their immense resources to break Bitcoins keys or attack the network etc... and again if they succeed comes down to energy.

Sorry for my ramblings.

But yeah, I don't think that Gold will be the universal currency.

Bitcoin is better suited, but an alien society will have it's own crypto.

So really, it's just energy.

So go grab yourself some stars and start charging those Tesla batteries.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:35:04 PM

Sorry cant really give you guys good replies. Baby asleep on arm.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 04:40:58 PM

Some stats from moneroprice.i2p:

Total XMR volume: 128.6m XMR
Last 3 weeks XMR volume: 48m XMR

In last 3 weeks was 1/3 of all XMR volume. And since price is way higher now, that way lot more BTC volume.   This shows us how different trading of Monero is now  as it was in last 2 years.  We simply can't learn from past anymore since is totally new money and new people in XMR right now.

Bitsquare is a decentralized bitcoin exchange. Your funds are located on your own computer and there are no KYC/AML type of ID requirements. It's now even possible to run it on raspberry pi (albeit a bit slow).
But it's still relatively low volume, so we need more traders. Please consider checking it out. Come to #bitsquare on IRC if you have questions.

Everyone should use it more. I know changes are not what most people like and Poloniex is just cool but trading on more exchanges just help the coin. If not enough volume people will not bother trading there. Also Polo withdrawal limits. Trading here gives you none.

(bolded)  But Monero usually does this at this time of year Tongue   Grin

I checked bitsquare last week and being the idiot I am I couldn't figure out how to buy.  I will definitely avail myself of TheKoziTwo's help and buy some.  Oh good, another excuse to buy at a ludicrous price.  Last ludicrous price was 0.0143 and I blamed my gf.  Even though I gave her 2 chances to question what's going on she still hasn't.  So cute.  Those are still her coins. Kiss
alphahacktivist

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 06:05:40 PM

Scare walls disappear when bought. I smell blood.

Come to me, my lovely...

the whale showing off with his 50k ish xmr is a fun guy. everytime he show off with his wealth i buy 50btc out of him and watch him panic and take it off. i sell immediately of course to not be in the price drop.

he did that few days ago i bought 48btc, he did it today i bought in 55btc. first time he did it i bought in 80btc. he panics, i sell all i bought immediately and few minutes later he crash the price, i buy low and hold Smiley

with 25% vendors listing accepting xmr, over 50k volume already done in alphabay, there is no possible way xmr will fail.

some whales can crash the price, but it doesnt matter really, the demand is existant now due to its privacy.
hash rate exceeds that of eth even. several known developpers coding for xmr. gui wallet which will enable transaction from xmr to btc thus fulfilling the demand of all vendors. this year looks very promising and i will have to start ordering bitwala card to spend xmr now  Grin
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 06:10:45 PM

with 25% vendors listing accepting xmr, over 50k volume already done in alphabay, there is no possible way xmr will fail.

This numbers are speculations or how you got them?
alphahacktivist

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 06:18:04 PM

This numbers are speculations or how you got them?

more 10 pages of listing on AB, and several vendors coming out helping the market establish around xmr. promoting it. several vendors urging others to use both in the near future.

but of course its not an exact amount. however i did check out all the pages and found 10 or 11 pages
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2016, 06:46:25 PM

People want to price 0.03

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
CTTE

Activity: 227

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:21:44 PM

Based on everything I am seeing right now, it really appears to me like the price is ready to take off! (no moon talk... too cliche) but, I think the price would move significantly if it weren't for a few big fish (one?) splashing around in the pool causing Noobs and others to panic whenever they see their trademark sell wall.   

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't beat this bully up, taken away his lunch money and sent him home to momma yet. If you can't tell... I Hate being manipulated like this! But other than that, once his games are done, we should make some pretty massive moves unless, he's tainted the waters for too many people.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:38:23 PM

Based on everything I am seeing right now, it really appears to me like the price is ready to take off! (no moon talk... too cliche) but, I think the price would move significantly if it weren't for a few big fish (one?) splashing around in the pool causing Noobs and others to panic whenever they see their trademark sell wall.   

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't beat this bully up, taken away his lunch money and sent him home to momma yet. If you can't tell... I Hate being manipulated like this! But other than that, once his games are done, we should make some pretty massive moves unless, he's tainted the waters for too many people.

There's manipulation happening on both sides, possibly by the same party(s) as on the sell side. That's why you can sometimes see bids jump from 5,200 BTC to 7,400 BTC, then drop to 6,200 BTC, all within a few minutes.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5027

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:45:50 PM

Really the only universal currency for the universe is energy....

I would postulate time.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:48:27 PM

I don't think CTTE minds the upward factors.Wink

There will be more, and larger, players.  Might as well get used to it.  At least this one is a net accumulator.  ( Of course at first they all are, since they start at zero.)

But yeah, price wants to go to 03.  

If you're feeling stress, get away from the market for a while.  Come back when it's near you target price.  Get a phone app with a price alarm, then ignore it.

I won't complain.  I'm extracting about 50bp/diem from the vol, for the past few weeks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:51:07 PM

I would postulate time.

Time:energy and position:momentum are the classic quantum informative pairs.

I would describe information as the underlying universal value.  God acts to maximize freedom.  So should we.

coinism

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:53:14 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2016, 08:08:38 PM by coinism

I would postulate time.

Time:energy and position:momentum are the classic quantum informative pairs.

I would describe information as the underlying universal value.  God acts to maximize freedom.  So should we.

info is good. works in 4d..5d etc.. the other options are too limited. energy is base either way. who knows if 'currency' even exists in the future/ aliens.
Pages: « 1 ... 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: