Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:02:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312330 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
CryptoPH

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:37:28 PM

Some bizarre price movement at present - BTC down to 885 on Stamp, XMR down to $14USD but still holding firm against BTC.  

This is some shakeout/correction.

I knew that will happen, but didn't do anything. Just watching...I hate it.  Undecided
Anyway, if my read on the 3-pushes to a high in BTC is correct, then this correction is a bullish confirmation for BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:42:46 PM

Some bizarre price movement at present - BTC down to 885 on Stamp, XMR down to $14USD but still holding firm against BTC. 

I knew that will happen, but didn't do anything. Just watching...I hate it.  Undecided
Anyway, if my read on the 3-pushes to a high in BTC is correct, then this correction is a bullish confirmation for BTC.

Nothing you can do.  Simply try to buy some coins while the candles are red.

volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:44:23 PM

Your attempt to attack me for criticizing Dash and unfavorably comparing it to Monero is likewise hilarious.   Cheesy

My attempt to attack you for criticizing Dash? Kiddo, you are seriously delusional. I haven't written here in this topic for months and I couldn't care less about some Dash, whatever that is.

Now I understand why most of your negative feedback says you are just an ordinary troll.
He's not a generic troll at all. He just rails against injustice, you see. Whereas you... I'm afraid that calling people "kiddo", or "kid" marks YOU out as the generic troll here.
CryptoPH

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:49:25 PM

I knew that will happen, but didn't do anything. Just watching...I hate it.  Undecided

Nothing you can do.  Simply try to buy some coins while the candles are red.

Agree! BTC is buy-on-dips from hereon.

CryptoPH

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 01:59:20 PM

People were having fun when BTC touched 8888 CNY.  Cheesy
Today, BTC touched 888.8 USD.  Grin

Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 02:08:13 PM

When we can expect some nice news and see 0.02?

It has been three years and bitcoin still has not taken out the last ATH on Stamp. It took Monero 27 months to best the first ATH. If Monero takes out 0.0265 in less than a year consider it a gift but I would not bet on it. Probably next year.

The #3 market cap should bring long overdue attention, and Monero >0.04 is on the card this year IMHO.

I look forward to another group of short-sighted shorters being burnt in the next big move.

#happymonerodolphin :-)
johnsmithx

Activity: 589
Merit: 507

I don't buy nor sell anything here and never will.

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 02:17:49 PM

Wooow! XMR price dived, driven by BTC.  Angry

I don't think you interpret what you see correctly. The only quote to measure XMR performance is XMR/BTC, at least for the time being. XMR/USD is a mere recalculation of the former vs BTC/USD. If anything, this drop in BTC can actually help XMR to climb a bit higher.

My list of 43(+3) reviewed Bitcoin forks | You don't have to download the pre-fork blockchain again for each fork! | Beware of fraudulent AWS accounts sellers and dangerous edu AWS codes! + My personal list of legit sellers and scammers | Never publicly reveal your btc addresses, ownership or any other details and stay very far away from anybody who asks you to! | The general rule of safe buying is: if the seller is a newbie, with no reputation, with no topic nor trust feedback, offering no vouches and/or selling from a locked or self-moderated topic and unwilling to go first or use escrow => AVOID. Always check the trust feedback first and make sure that you have enabled "Show untrusted feedback by default" in "Profile / Forum Profile Information".
CryptoPH

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 02:25:56 PM

I don't think you interpret what you see correctly. The only quote to measure XMR performance is XMR/BTC, at least for the time being. XMR/USD is a mere recalculation of the former vs BTC/USD. If anything, this drop in BTC can actually help XMR to climb a bit higher.

Yes, I agree with you. I'm referring to the dive of USD value.
If we look at XMR/BTC, it stayed the same at around 0.016 BTC.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 02:53:31 PM

So it didn't dive? Why would you value XMR is fiat? Only metric is relative value to the crypto king XBT.
johnsmithx

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 03:03:01 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2017, 04:05:35 PM by johnsmithx

So it didn't dive? Why would you value XMR is fiat? Only metric is relative value to the crypto king XBT.

Exactly, XMR/BTC is what matters. He was referring to XMR/USD when he mentioned the dive. Now XMR/USD = XMR/BTC * BTC/USD, so nothing is happening to monero, it's bitcoin that's weakening. Therefore if BTC/USD changes then XMR/USD must change too, it's a simple math. Of course unless monero in itself (that is, XMR/BTC) changes.

P.S.: if you really wanted to know what is happening to a particular currency you would have to first make a matrix of all mutually influencing currency pairs, calculate how much they contribute to the basket, normalize them so that you don't compare apples to oranges and then you would be able to actually calculate the relative strength of each individual currency, i.e. which currency is driving and which is driven, so to speak.

If you are still unsure what I am talking about consider this situation. Trump says something stupid. People start selling their USD and buying EUR, gold, bitcoins. Thus you will see all those respective exchange rates changing, but that doesn't mean that EUR is going up, gold is going up, bitcoin is going up, it only means that USD is going down and all those others are being driven up. It's the matter of cause and effect.

In fact in this example you would see changes in the other USD-quoted exchange rates as well even if nobody would be buying or selling them. For example, you have EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/GBP. If USD goes down (thus EUR/USD goes up) and EUR vs GBP stays the same then you will see GBP/USD going up simply because GBP/USD = EUR/USD / EUR/GBP, it's just a math. That's what many people don't understand when they see an exchange rate changing without any underlying volume. Just because something is moving doesn't mean both sides are equally responsible.

(sorry for multiple edits)

My list of 43(+3) reviewed Bitcoin forks | You don't have to download the pre-fork blockchain again for each fork! | Beware of fraudulent AWS accounts sellers and dangerous edu AWS codes! + My personal list of legit sellers and scammers | Never publicly reveal your btc addresses, ownership or any other details and stay very far away from anybody who asks you to! | The general rule of safe buying is: if the seller is a newbie, with no reputation, with no topic nor trust feedback, offering no vouches and/or selling from a locked or self-moderated topic and unwilling to go first or use escrow => AVOID. Always check the trust feedback first and make sure that you have enabled "Show untrusted feedback by default" in "Profile / Forum Profile Information".
OrangeP

Activity: 358

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 03:43:13 PM

XMR/USD = XMR/BTC * BTC/USD

Nothing is happening to monero, it's bitcoin that's weakening. Therefore XMR vs USD must copy this trend, it's a simple math. Of course unless monero in itself (that is, XMR/BTC) changes.

P.S.: if you really wanted to know what is happening to a particular currency you would have to first make a matrix of all mutually influencing currency pairs, calculate how much they contribute to the basket, normalize them so that you don't compare apples to oranges and then you would be able to actually calculate the relative strength of each individual currency, i.e. which currency is driving and which is driven, so to speak.

If you are still unsure what I am talking about consider this situation. Trump says something stupid. People start selling their USD and buying EUR, gold, bitcoins. Thus you will see all those respective exchange rates changing, but that doesn't mean that EUR is going up, gold is going up, bitcoin is going up, it only means that USD is going down and all those others are being driven up. It's the matter of cause and effect.

In fact in this example you would see changes in the other USD-quoted exchange rates as well even if nobody would be buying or selling them. For example, you have EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/GBP. If you USD goes down and EUR goes up, and EUR vs GBP stays the same, then you will see GBP/USD going up as well, simply because GBP/USD = EUR/USD / GBP/USD, it's just a math. That's what many people don't understand when they see the exchange rate changing without any underlying volume. Just because something is moving doesn't mean both sides are equally responsible.

1, simply because their relation to EUR wouldn't change

As long as I buy my Lamborghini and my yacht with Usd I'll measure the XMR price in Usd. Bitcoin is too volatile. Still, you're right, xmr-btc shows that the correction is not about Monero in particular.

Hottest Coins: Decred, ZCoin, Waves
CryptoPH

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 03:47:37 PM

I personally don't value it in fiat. I'm referring to the numbers I see on exchanges (those numbers from HIGH went LOW in USD/XMR).

CTTE

Activity: 227

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 05:18:10 PM

I personally don't value it in fiat. I'm referring to the numbers I see on exchanges (those numbers from HIGH went LOW in USD/XMR).

This is just a random thought on the subject...
Until a much larger percentage of XMR (maybe 50%+) is bought and/or traded for with USD (and other fiat), it will continue to be hard to valuate XMR in USD without a conversion to BTC first since almost all XMR trading is currently done with BTC. Now, with all of the exchanges that have/are adding XMR/USD pairs we may have some excellent arbitrage opportunities as some of the markets will have price moves that are much faster or slower, providing price mismatches between exchanges, at least until the volume increases enough to help keep markets in sync. You'll see the spreads tighten as more arbitrage bots are set up to take advantage of these price differences.  

In fact the huge price differences between the major BTC markets today was surprising as I would have thought market makers and high speed traders would have kept those prices much more in line with each other through simple arbitrage. As it was there were times when we saw 50-75 USD price differences between some of these markets.

Ultimately, I care what Monero is worth in USD or general buying power as that is how I have to pay for most necessities of life right now but, in trading discussions we almost have to include BTC price movements in order truly evaluate a trading strategy. Part of my goal is to increase holdings in both BTC and Monero for the purpose of ultimately gaining more buying power in the "real world"... however that may come about.

Edit: Some of these arbitrage opportunities are Triangular in nature and thus may not be quite as simple but most trading systems should allow for that.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1103

View Profile
January 05, 2017, 07:23:08 PM

I saw spreads of around $150 between the Chinese exchanges and btc-e. Almost looked kind of...goxish  Shocked
johnsmithx

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 12:24:01 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2017, 12:55:21 AM by johnsmithx

To me it seems like an ordinary profit taking. They started buying BTC/USD above $1000 and around $1500, not far from the all-time high, they simply sold BTC and bought USD back. We will see $1200 and beyond sooner or later anyway, regardless of anything.

IlettheDogeoutt

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 04:56:14 AM

Happy new years guys. What do we have planned for 2017. More profit I hope!

Smiley
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 4851

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 07:08:20 AM

Whoever this is should move it north.

Code:
0.0054% 17437.72358261 2-7 Days

It is an invitation, someone wants us to go on a large leverage Long position. Good news! So he can dump on you easily - we will see tomorrow evening! ;-)

Actually, it's an invitation to short...  when you short XMR you need to borrow XMR, when you go long on margin you're borrowing BTC.

Of course it was, but it could have been quite a bit higher for more profit. There was a huge amount bought up before it. Those stuck shorting should have to pay more to try to push price down when trapped.

I speculate thaT BTC WILL DROP SOON AND (FUCKING CAPS LOCK) xmr will drop a bit wirh profit taking so on the next spike I'm gonna convert to usd and rebuy on the btc low.

Lets see how this works out, last time i called it on the head but screwed my self by not having the capitol available to get back in! Lol

I have totally no insider info on this one.

No-one does. Welcome to the mainstream.

Well I perhaps did have some when amassing my 500k position that was later stolen...  Tongue

Just saying that every once in a while, someone does.

Disclaimer: "my" refers to undisclosed entities.

Didn't know you got 500k stolen! where did you post that? isthere a thread on it? I'd like to know the particulars.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
CryptoPH

<3 Crypto

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 09:56:05 AM

Happy new years guys. What do we have planned for 2017. More profit I hope!

Smiley

"Moon" profit I hope!  Cool

OrangeP

Activity: 358

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:33:04 AM

A lot of altcoins, especially Monero and Ethereum are clear winners of this pump&dump in terms of Bitcoin. 
Now might be a good time to trade weak altcoins (like Dash, Shadowcash) for BTC.

Hottest Coins: Decred, ZCoin, Waves
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 12:01:37 PM

Any thoughts on flipping for the BTC bounce back? we held so far but I keep expecting the converse drop.

Pages: « 1 ... 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: