Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:53:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312367 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Dumb broad

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 02:36:40 PM

so, theres more PRC shenanigans and the Chinese exchanges are suspending BTC withdrawls.

Going to be interesting time for alts in general and XMR in particular.

Fun times

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mambamanagement

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 03:20:23 PM

so, theres more PRC shenanigans and the Chinese exchanges are suspending BTC withdrawls.

Going to be interesting time for alts in general and XMR in particular.

Fun times

is this when China learns about monero ?
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 04:58:16 PM

Hopefully they'll jump on Monero, but they'd better learn about decentralized exchanges as well.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
mnemonicsoup

Activity: 200
Merit: 114

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 08:00:29 PM

It seems so many investors are pussies. Governments and central banks can't shut down cryptos but they can sure bring the price down. Two exchanges in China freeze withdrawals for a month in order to implement new security measures and investors are crying about bans and the price of BTC crashes. It's ridiculous.

This regulatory measure might be a good thing by eliminating ponzi schemes within these chinese exchanges and thereby reducing volatility and might be even an indication of China planing to officially legitimise BTC and therefore improving the infrastructure beforehand.

TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 09:13:37 PM

It seems so many investors are pussies. Governments and central banks can't shut down cryptos but they can sure bring the price down. Two exchanges in China freeze withdrawals for a month in order to implement new security measures and investors are crying about bans and the price of BTC crashes. It's ridiculous.

This regulatory measure might be a good thing by eliminating ponzi schemes within these chinese exchanges and thereby reducing volatility and might be even an indication of China planing to officially legitimise BTC and therefore improving the infrastructure beforehand.

I disagree.
First of all, the sellers are not investors but speculators.
To understand the market movements which tend to look irrational one need to understand the mass human psychology.
Let's assume there is a certain amount of speculators who have more bitcoins than they can afford to have (and this fact is known by all the market speculators - there is X number of "weak hands").
Even though the weak hands might get all of sudden some strength, the fact that stronger hands think there are weak hands, will cause a panic sells which will trigger also margin position liquidation procedures.
Therefore, by acting in a rational manner it is possible to make some extra bitcoins on your dollars if you decide to buy some during the time of a carnage.

Monero seems to hold its value currently pretty well against USD. We will see if this pattern will break or not... Now it is a great buying opportunity in Monero (and also in bitcoin) as the price of Monero in terms of bitcoins have dropped a few percents.
Do you think we will see a major Monero rally (in terms of bitcoins) this year?
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 10:37:37 PM

Nope, I am saying that this is not the whole story, lacks context and is basically a 'hit piece' on Jaxx...

That's fine. My comment was regarding your dispute of 'reality' which implied the facts were somehow different. But we can discuss context as well.

...that avoids mentioning the fact that Fluffy, who everyone expected to get it right (so he didn't have to announce anything, it was simply assumed it would be done right), royally fucked it up too and happened to be advising them.

Important question: did Jaxx take Fluffy's (free) advice to piggyback off MyMonero's backend, and that's why their software broke?

If not, then I don't see how MyMonero's difficulties has anything to do with Jaxx delaying for months and ultimately failing to deliver.

And is still advertising the site as 'The Simplest way to use Monero' with a warning banner that may or may not appear in your browser (just clicked there now and it did not), and arguably caused more short term damage to Monero's credibility than Jaxx did, and is still accepting new deposits from people, some of whom end up over on reddit asking for help to access their Monero from the site that is still borked.

Irrelevant. Whether true or false, none of this has anything to do with Jaxx.

He has subsequently admitted his mistake, as have Jaxx, and I am saying 'Drop it, move on, the people that needed to learn have learnt and nobody needs to be crucified here'. Get it ??

Fair enough, but do you really think we are crucifying anyone more than they already crucified themselves?

And this crap about Jaxx bringing it on themselves - sure, they fked up with that reddit converstaion when they struggled at the start, but it is clear that people more involved than you or I were able to move past this and continue assisting, yet most people here still cant see past that initial interaction and use it as a blinkered excuse to vent. Thank god you do not play a more senior role in this project or your grudges would bring it to its knees.

This comment actually made me smile. It's interesting how little changes with regards to the inner workings of small systems, communities and organizations versus those of a larger scale. I'm talking specifically about things like control, influence, and the general game theory involved. But that's a tangent.

I have no grudges toward Jaxx. I couldn't care less about their closed source integration, as it contributes very little to the community or the technology. On the other hand, MyMonero as an open source platform that third parties can incorporate and contribute to sounds much more promising for the ecosystem.

So you poked me enough to speak out for you. Well done, how courageous ... I hope you are happy now. Do you feel like you won something?

I'm quite satisfied that you actually stated your thoughts on the matter instead of your previously cryptic disagreement.

@ DaveyJones ... they paused the integration AFTER RingCT

There was plenty of red flags and delays well before the fork. In fact, people were predicting this exact turn of events after Di Iorio's update in November: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/5dsqrf/jaxx_monero_integration_update_3/

Apologies to fluffy here, but I think it is wrong for certain members of the community to be shouting at someone outside whilst not looking inside too, and the accusation that I am the one with blinkers on here is ridiculous. People are simply too weak to speak about the other side of the story and risk offending you after all you have done, and continue to do. Personally, i think you have enough self-awareness and a thick enough skin to deal with it, and value truth, and Monero's future, over unspoken ass-kissing.

If we are not able to cast critical eyes inwards aswell as outwards there is no hope. Monero deserves better than that.

Your main point here, and elsewhere, seems to be that people are criticizing Jaxx's Anthony Di Iorio but not FluffyPony, thus engaging in "unspoken ass-kissing."

If you can't see the differences in how these two have behaved, not to mention the differences in their position and obligations, then there's no point in having that conversation.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 01:12:29 AM

My speculation is that their canary died and they needed to come up for air.

Yes, the coincidental timing of the FBI's disclosure of interest and Jaxx's sudden lack of interest fairly reeks of malfeasance.

But let's not forget what happened the first time jackbooted thugs tried poking Honey Badger with a stick....

Just wait for Schumer Effect to kick in!   Cool

Bitcoin: With Enemies Like Schumer, Who Needs Friends?
June 7th, 2011

Quote from: Kevin Carson
"Actually, Schumer’s Barney Fife act could be the  best thing that ever happened to Bitcoin. Back in March, an earlier target of Schumer’s grandstanding was Fuzz Alert, a smartphone application that alerts drivers to speed traps, speeding and red light cameras, and sobriety checkpoints. After Schumer drew attention to the app, its sales doubled.

Maybe he can do a similar favor for the darknet economy. The more he vents his impotent rage, the more public attention he draws to the fact that government attempts to suppress Silk Road and Bitcoin are, well, impotent.

A lot of people out there would like to engage in peaceful trade — even in violation of government commands to “touch not, taste not, handle not” — without the state’s permission, surveillance or taxation, who may not yet be aware things like Bitcoin and Silk Road exist. The more and more loudly you protest, Senator Schumer, the more economic activity will move beyond the reach of the corporate state. So by all means, bluster on! Command the waves to advance no further. Show people everywhere, beyond the shadow of a doubt, just how contemptible your so-called laws really are."

6 months later....

THANK YOU SCHUMER
January 26, 2012

Quote from: Amir Taaki
For those of us who had been with bitcoin since early on, we would become excited at the smallest appearance of bitcoin in the press. We all knew the amazing ramifications of this cryptocurrency (or commodity), and were awaiting that inevitable breakthrough that came a few years early with Schumer’s announcement. It was not the right kind of press we were hoping for, but press is press. And while dealing with the moral panic, it gave you a platform for expounding on the social benefits of bitcoin.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mnemonicsoup

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 01:25:31 AM

Do you think we will see a major Monero rally (in terms of bitcoins) this year?

With my limited knowledge I think it's very possible or even likely but it depends very much how BTC will develop and of course other factors like coinbase adoption, hard wallets (perhaps a minor factor) etc.

It's fascinating how stable Monero has been in dollar terms recently.

Sometimes I think that a symbiosis between BTC and Monero would be perhaps even more favourable than just Monero dethroning BTC because BTC would give Monero and extra layer of protection from regulatory powers. Any thoughts on that?
phoenix rises

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 11:17:06 PM

@ Johnny Mnemonic, I agree, there is no point in continuing this conversation. It is not productive.

My other post was just deleleted, perhaps for editing yours, so I am reposting a clearer version in my own words only.

Be well  Wink
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 12:04:25 AM

You would be crazy to own crypto and not have at least a few Monero in your portfolio.
Its very unlikely you would go bust, and the upside potential is huge. I'm still predicting $15 by the middle of this year.

mnemonicsoup

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 12:45:54 AM

Do any of you (who believe mainly in xmr and maybe btc) recommend having a few eth as hedge?

After all I read I don't have a lot of faith in eth but thinking maybe just a few just in case...

Thanks!

15$ by mid year seems very possible without even being very bullish.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 12:51:53 AM

Do any of you (who believe mainly in xmr and maybe btc) recommend having a few eth as hedge?

I have a little ETH and ETC as a hedge. I think smart contracts have so far turned out to be nothing more than bullshit hype for the purpose of pumping a token, but may, eventually, turn out to be more than that.

I also have some worse crap than ETH as hedges too, so don't view this as an endorsement, more of an admission that my current views on crypto merits may turn out somehow to be wrong and I don't need to figure out exactly how for the hedge to work. Also even if my skepticism turns out to be correct ultimately the market may get it 'wrong' for a long time.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 01:06:25 AM

At various times over the past couple years, in addition to BTC and XMR I've held ETH (and ETC after it split) plus also MaidSafe, Factom, Dash (don't hit me) and SIACoin.  Oh and also some PotCoin just for laughs LOL

However awhile ago I divested basically *everything* except BTC & XMR... only hodling my beginning stake of MAID that I got in their original crowdsale.

I dumped it all to get more focused on only what really matters: Bitcoin and Monero FTW!

But, lately now... I've been thinking maybe that was too extreme and I may buy back a little ETC/ETH and maybe the FCT and SIA again.

Not the DASH though... forget that LOL.

15$ by mid year seems very possible without even being very bullish.

We were already at about $16 once before, weren't we?  Last summer?  So "only" getting back to fifteen-ish this year would seem a bit disappointing... I'm hoping more for like $50 range.  Maybe $100 LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
razen489

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 01:51:03 AM

monero price correlates with bitcoin now?
https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/usd
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:10:27 AM

We were already at about $16 once before, weren't we?  Last summer?  So "only" getting back to fifteen-ish this year would seem a bit disappointing... I'm hoping more for like $50 range.  Maybe $100 LOL

We were over $18 around January 4th - about five weeks ago.

No one seemed to notice ;-)

我想要火箭和火车
jay8291

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:20:22 AM

At various times over the past couple years, in addition to BTC and XMR I've held ETH (and ETC after it split) plus also MaidSafe, Factom, Dash (don't hit me) and SIACoin.  Oh and also some PotCoin just for laughs LOL

However awhile ago I divested basically *everything* except BTC & XMR... only hodling my beginning stake of MAID that I got in their original crowdsale.

I dumped it all to get more focused on only what really matters: Bitcoin and Monero FTW!

But, lately now... I've been thinking maybe that was too extreme and I may buy back a little ETC/ETH and maybe the FCT and SIA again.

Not the DASH though... forget that LOL.

FCT & SIA are both great Projects. Time will tell. Dont know about DASH. Heard too much shit about it. i mainly focus on BTC, ETH, XMR, FCT, STRAT & SIA..

████▄▄▀▀███▄▄▄
      ▄▀ █████████▄▄ ▀▀▄▄██
    ▄█▀ ████████▀▀▀▄▄  ▀████
  ▄██▌ ███▀▀▄▄▄▄████▌▐██▄▀██▌
 ▀▀▀   ▄▄▄██████████ █████▄▀█▄
▀███▌ ▄▄▀███████████ ███████▄▀
 ███▌▐███▄ ▀███████▌▐█████████
  ██▌▐██████▄▀▀████ ███████████
   █▌▐█████████▄▀██ ████▀▀▀▄▄
   ▀ ████████████   ▄▄▄▄████
     ██████▀▀▀▄▄▄█▄ ██████
     ▀▀ ▄▄▄████████▌▐███
             ▀▀▀▀▀██ ▀

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

▄██████████████████▄
██▀              ▀██
██                ██
██                ██
██    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ██
██   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██
██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██
██                ██
██                ██
██                ██
██▄              ▄██
▀██████████████████▀
WP
▀ ▀▀▀

████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2017, 11:09:55 AM

Monero is very stable now.

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 12:12:04 PM

Regarding the Jaxx discussion, would just like to add, from an ex-tech guys perspective - who no longer is a techie:

Jaxx is super important to folks like me who are no longer, or not, technical and who don't want to run a wallet with gigabytes of blockchain.
Jaxx is super important for the easy use of XMR for common folks. Yeah, that might be a ways off (regular folk use), but the sooner the better.
The question is about maintaining privacy with Jaxx I would imagine.

Eventually we are going to need something like Aeon (i.e. small blockchain) for our cell phones though.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Stavri

Activity: 980
Merit: 275

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 04:37:59 PM

Maybe still there are some fast horses inside the stable Grin
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 05:18:40 PM

Maybe still there are some fast horses inside the stable Grin

Assuredly there are.  Which way will they bolt when released? 
Pages: « 1 ... 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: