Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:47:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 [1343] 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312594 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:20:02 PM

I don't see how Monero could be used with a light client like Jaxx without you registering your viewkey on a node that has the full blockchain - which (unless you own the node) puts your transactions at risk of becoming visible.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:42:33 PM

I don't see how Monero could be used with a light client like Jaxx without you registering your viewkey on a node that has the full blockchain - which (unless you own the node) puts your transactions at risk of becoming visible.

Solution. 

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 5054

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 07:37:37 PM

Solution. 

Even then JAXX isn't open sourced is it? That alone makes it a pariah in my mind. From a quick google apparently some of it is open but if you can't compile it yourself then you can't trust it so add that to using a unknown node and you might as well use a web wallet and drop your pants and cough.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TheFuzzStone
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1442

thefuzzstone.github.io

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2017, 08:24:48 PM

Even then JAXX isn't open sourced is it? That alone makes it a pariah in my mind. From a quick google apparently some of it is open but if you can't compile it yourself then you can't trust it so add that to using a unknown node and you might as well use a web wallet and drop your pants and cough.

Yes, you are right. You can't compile JAXX because isn't fully open source project. On jaxx.io then --> View Source Code --- you can check only some pieces of code.

It turns out that the downloaded binary file can contain anything, any kind of backdoors and spyware functionality, so keep track of what and where to submit the application is not possible.

So I'm happy that Monero will not be integrated in this wallet.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 11:40:30 PM

Do any of you (who believe mainly in xmr and maybe btc) recommend having a few eth as hedge?

I have a little ETH and ETC as a hedge. I think smart contracts have so far turned out to be nothing more than bullshit hype for the purpose of pumping a token, but may, eventually, turn out to be more than that.

I also have some worse crap than ETH as hedges too, so don't view this as an endorsement, more of an admission that my current views on crypto merits may turn out somehow to be wrong and I don't need to figure out exactly how for the hedge to work. Also even if my skepticism turns out to be correct ultimately the market may get it 'wrong' for a long time.

The thing I really don't understand is the logic behind having coins that carry monetary value for things such as ETH and ETC, even SIA or any other "smart contract" or "app coins".  IRL if you want someone like a lawyer to help you draft out a contract, or maybe help you submit a patent on a new invention you made, you would influence the lawyer to do that for you by paying them in cash/fiat.  Imagine having to go out somewhere to buy some random "lawyer tokens" to be able to talk to a lawyer... that would be insane, wouldn't it?

I understand people who mine ETH, or whatever smart contract coin out there, need to have some reason to do it... but I just believe there just has to be some better way to go about doing this.  This whole thing just seems backwards to me...

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 12:24:19 AM

Do any of you (who believe mainly in xmr and maybe btc) recommend having a few eth as hedge?

I have a little ETH and ETC as a hedge. I think smart contracts have so far turned out to be nothing more than bullshit hype for the purpose of pumping a token, but may, eventually, turn out to be more than that.

I also have some worse crap than ETH as hedges too, so don't view this as an endorsement, more of an admission that my current views on crypto merits may turn out somehow to be wrong and I don't need to figure out exactly how for the hedge to work. Also even if my skepticism turns out to be correct ultimately the market may get it 'wrong' for a long time.

The thing I really don't understand is the logic behind having coins that carry monetary value for things such as ETH and ETC, even SIA or any other "smart contract" or "app coins".  IRL if you want someone like a lawyer to help you draft out a contract, or maybe help you submit a patent on a new invention you made, you would influence the lawyer to do that for you by paying them in cash/fiat.  Imagine having to go out somewhere to buy some random "lawyer tokens" to be able to talk to a lawyer... that would be insane, wouldn't it?

I understand people who mine ETH, or whatever smart contract coin out there, need to have some reason to do it... but I just believe there just has to be some better way to go about doing this.  This whole thing just seems backwards to me...

Because markets do not follow logic and better tech loses all the time, it's called speculation for a reason. Wink

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:31:54 AM

Because no one knows how to build a decentralized (not federated) blockchain that is able to operate on "foreign" tokens. It is a bit like traveling to another country (in the days before electronic payments). You do indeed have to exchange your money first if you want to pay a lawyer there.

Because markets do not follow logic and better tech loses all the time, it's called speculation for a reason. Wink

This may also be true. I'm a bit uncertain because the most commonly cited examples like VHS and Beta are in fact terrible logic due to things like recording time and cost.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 06:03:35 PM

This may also be true. I'm a bit uncertain because the most commonly cited examples like VHS and Beta are in fact terrible logic due to things like recording time and cost.

And the result of Sony refusing to license Beta.  Made calling the BlueRay battle for supremacy easy.  No way they would make the same mistake twice.  What was that other DVD format again?  Marketing works.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

Failures that were ahead of their time. some were just not marketed and some were over priced.

http://listverse.com/2013/01/12/10-innovative-pieces-of-technology-that-failed-miserably/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2325931,00.asp
http://www.businessinsider.com/startup-failures-2011-5

Underfunded and facing a Monopolistic opponent.

https://fee.org/articles/the-tucker-car-did-the-big-guys-do-it-in/

Just saying the best doesn't always get adopted, it's a shame really but most people lack the drive to research anything and just use whats easy and what everyone else is using.

Monerobuyer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 09:49:00 PM

1.Is Smooth Jeffrey Lebowski?

2.When will monero get pruning like aeon? Why can't bbr pruning be copied?

3. Is active development for aeon ongoing?

4. Monero iOS wallet?

5. Isn't monero price high enough that devs make it their full time job? I assume they own and get paid a lot of XMR.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 10:02:52 PM

No smooth is his son.

To hard question for me, but BBR is not that similar to Monero and AEON as many thinks.

You should ask that here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.0
But I think AEON could deserve more ongoing development happening.

4. Monero iOS wallet?

3-5 years

5. Isn't monero price high enough that devs make it their full time job? I assume they own and get paid a lot of XMR.

There were few projects started here: https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress
Most developers contribute for free. Some did most of time and now got some founding to pay their hours they spend contributing.
Price of Monero dont matter here. It did in few cases, when this much XMR was gathered to pay this much hours and then price escalated and those lucky few got nice hourly wage. Tongue
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 12:39:13 AM

Failures that were ahead of their time. some were just not marketed and some were over priced.

http://listverse.com/2013/01/12/10-innovative-pieces-of-technology-that-failed-miserably/

Just saying the best doesn't always get adopted, it's a shame really but most people lack the drive to research anything and just use whats easy and what everyone else is using.

Most of the example 'failures' you reference are the products themselves, and not their underlying technology. In almost every case, the better tech does win, or is eventually superseded by something even better than that.

For example, the underlying Laserdisc technology did prevail (through CDs and eventually DVDs), though the Laserdisc format did not catch on due to practical limitations that made it inferior to other options at the time. The superior image quality of Laserdisc was largely unrealized on consumer TV displays, coupled with the fact that users were unable to record onto the disk. But this is still an example of the better tech winning, as optical disk formats have since dominated in consumer media storage.

Even the VHS/Betamax example is terrible, because although Betamax lost the consumer videotape format war, it survived successfully as a professional and commercial video format.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:18:54 AM

Most of the example 'failures' you reference are the products themselves, and not their underlying technology. In almost every case, the better tech does win, or is eventually superseded by something even better than that.

For example, the underlying Laserdisc technology did prevail (through CDs and eventually DVDs), though the Laserdisc format did not catch on due to practical limitations that made it inferior to other options at the time. The superior image quality of Laserdisc was largely unrealized on consumer TV displays, coupled with the fact that users were unable to record onto the disk. But this is still an example of the better tech winning, as optical disk formats have since dominated in consumer media storage.

Even the VHS/Betamax example is terrible, because although Betamax lost the consumer videotape format war, it survived successfully as a professional and commercial video format.

Laserdisc was first by a long shot and would have been adopted but the cost was through the roof, I remember it clearly. And that was a quick google for more on spot examples feel free I'm know your able to google. I'm not interested in getting into a protracted discussion on semantics.

Monerobuyer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 10:58:00 AM

No smooth is his son.

To hard question for me, but BBR is not that similar to Monero and AEON as many thinks.

You should ask that here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=641696.0
But I think AEON could deserve more ongoing development happening.

4. Monero iOS wallet?

3-5 years

There were few projects started here: https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress
Most developers contribute for free. Some did most of time and now got some founding to pay their hours they spend contributing.
Price of Monero dont matter here. It did in few cases, when this much XMR was gathered to pay this much hours and then price escalated and those lucky few got nice hourly wage. Tongue

3 years? But why? :-(
starmman
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 12:03:44 PM

Hopefully they'll jump on Monero, but they'd better learn about decentralized exchanges as well.
Will be great if this happens - XMR price has been relatively stable over the last few weeks (great for confidence but not for trading) - would be good if there was a bullish sentiment
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2017, 01:02:43 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2017, 09:13:43 PM by GingerAle

Unlike 99% all of the other scam coins, there was no premine, instamine, ninjamine, or any other way for the core team to have amassed an unfair share of Monero during its first couple months of existence. Therefore, the core team does not hold a ridiculous amount of Monero.

When it first hit the exchanges it was around 0.007 BTC.... so it was never "free" to obtain tons of it.

Their efforts are funded by the donations of the community and their own personal finances.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 04:58:49 PM

3 years? But why? :-(

Oh, that's just a running joke around here, similar to the oft-repeating yuk about FluffyPony doing his exit scam scheduled for, when is it now?  2025? Cheesy

The monero community is a small place but we all have to remember that a lot of folks aren't always up to full speed on all the everyday goings-on around here.

These jokes can backfire and give people the wrong idea sometimes LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 05:38:37 PM

Unless 99% all of the other scam coins, there was no premine, instamine, ninjamine, or any other way for the core team to have amassed an unfair share of Monero during its first couple months of existence. Therefore, the core team does not hold a ridiculous amount of Monero.

When it first hit the exchanges it was around 0.007 BTC.... so it was never "free" to obtain tons of it.

Their efforts are funded by the donations of the community and their own personal finances.

And lets not forget those like WarpTangent who worked for purely altruistic reasons.

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 06:47:13 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2017, 07:01:35 PM by Johnny Mnemonic

Laserdisc was first by a long shot and would have been adopted but the cost was through the roof, I remember it clearly. And that was a quick google for more on spot examples feel free I'm know your able to google. I'm not interested in getting into a protracted discussion on semantics.

I'm not disagreeing with your semantics. You said "better tech loses all the time" and cited some poorly marketed products as examples. Sure I can google, but I still can't find any good fodder to back up your statement.

I brought up Laserdisc because I don't think it's an example of better tech 'losing' to inferior tech. Optical disk technology has been winning for decades.

Edit: I'm honestly not trying to split hairs about this, but the "better tech loses" idea is repeated quite a bit here and is almost always accompanied with examples of products like Sega Saturn or Intellivision, or of technologies that ultimately were adopted, just not in their earliest form.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 07:00:06 PM

I'm not disagreeing with your semantics. You said "better tech loses all the time" and cited some poorly marketed products as examples. Sure I can google, but I still can't find any good fodder to back up your statement.

I brought up Laserdisc because I don't think it's an example of better tech 'losing' to inferior tech. Optical disk technology has been winning for decades.

Ohh, I didn't mean All of the time I meant alot of the time. My bad, I was playing loose with the verbage. Smiley

AFA the Laser Tech it was only competing with tape when released and cdroms didn't come out till much later. they had ample opportunity to own the market but in their case they priced the majority out of the market. IIRC I was making $2.80 an hour and the machine was $800 and one movie was $50 which is just an insane amount for the time. I think they only had 4 movies on launch and Logans Run was the one I wanted.

Pages: « 1 ... 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 [1343] 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: