Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:37:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
October 11, 2021, 02:31:41 PM

So, a nice altcoin slaughtering bull in Bitcoin.

And I am starting to get used to the pattern where we see 5%-20% drops in the major alts during these but little monero finds a floor basically. 

I expect it to likely drop more against Bitcoin if this trend continues, but there is a constant demand for monero, and it has actually become a unit of account arguably as much or more than Bitcoin.  I would say more for sure, but El Salvador is making that false.  Still Monero has carved out a are in which it is being used to price many goods...  And I think that dampens the pullback on days like this...

Oh, and screw Doge, lol... seriously.  Still a clown world, mostly.

Whatever you guys do, don’t check the price of XMR denominated in BTC.  Cheesy

Anyway...  What ever happened to Fluffy’s new side chain project he founded with a couple of other guys?  Tari?  With how fast everything moves in crypto, they could be too late by the time they release.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 11, 2021, 11:05:42 PM

Whatever you guys do, don’t check the price of XMR denominated in BTC.  Cheesy

Anyway...  What ever happened to Fluffy’s new side chain project he founded with a couple of other guys?  Tari?  With how fast everything moves in crypto, they could be too late by the time they release.

Strange advice.  Bitcoin is THE crypto unit of account.  Even if at least as many things are priced on markets in Monero.  Monero's value in BTC is part of it's ultimate value.  But uion that arena as well XMR tends to do slightly better than man other alts.
Amejoaquim

Activity: 924
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 02:55:22 AM

Monero is the king of privacy, monero transaction counts have been on the rise. I see a future with CBDC where every transaction gets monitored. Privacy doesn't matter until it does. Optional privacy is not enough. So my speculation about this coin is pretty high, i think the price can increasing drastically in the end of this quarter maybe it can reach new ath $550++.
exoticweiner

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 02:07:37 PM

Monero is the king of privacy, monero transaction counts have been on the rise. I see a future with CBDC where every transaction gets monitored. Privacy doesn't matter until it does. Optional privacy is not enough. So my speculation about this coin is pretty high, i think the price can increasing drastically in the end of this quarter maybe it can reach new ath $550++.

Yep pretty much. BTC and XMR are pretty close in terms of price movement anyway like all other coins so assuming bitcoin hits ath xmr will as well. EOY probably if not EOM. BTW do any of you know of any other Monero dedicated forums similar to this site I can join?  Huh Huh
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 03:02:59 PM

Yep pretty much. BTC and XMR are pretty close in terms of price movement anyway like all other coins so assuming bitcoin hits ath xmr will as well. EOY probably if not EOM. BTW do any of you know of any other Monero dedicated forums similar to this site I can join?  Huh Huh

Reddit probably has the most active communities.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4899

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 10:19:59 PM
Merited by infofront (1)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/

But beware is a dogpiling board that is designed to quash dissent leading to alot of circle jerking.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 10:55:09 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/

But beware is a dogpiling board that is designed to quash dissent leading to alot of circle jerking.

The Monero community left me in the dust years ago.  I feel like the new blood is way more BCASH style than Bitcoin inspired.  I still believe in the project and the ethos, but overall I can't really stand the community anymore.

That is probably more a screed against Gen Z and young millennials than anything else, though...

I got into a discussion with a guy who was trying to tell me why Monero is all light and butterflies while Bitcoin is just a bunch of toxic NGU assholes.  And he brought up the Monero donation  system of croud-funding new tech.  It was everything I could do to not say: "You are talking to the donation system from before the donation system".

GET OFF MY LAWN. Wink
p.b.winry

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 13, 2021, 12:00:42 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2021, 01:55:17 PM by mprep

I hope Monero keeps going up in price. I still hold this coin, although not much. Want to sell, but still waiting for a little more price increase. Let's hope it continues the uptrend.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Do you hold Monero Coins how many packs? Are there still plans to add more assets or just wait for the time to take profit? Risky is not yes to add monero coins for now?

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
October 18, 2021, 10:31:09 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Bargain!
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4899

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 27, 2021, 09:50:41 PM

Check out the lack of volume on binance since that dump for ants on 5/16!

They cannot keep up this suppression!!!

Literally the only reason the price has not already skyrocketed is because no-one wants to KYC to buy.

We really need more anon on/off ramps for the US.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 09:42:57 AM

Risky is not yes to add monero coins for now?

Why would there be risk when you see that number of transactions increase with such high rate?
dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 12:36:15 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2023, 01:18:49 PM by dragonvslinux

Literally the only reason the price has not already skyrocketed is because no-one wants to KYC to buy.

I'm not convinced this is "price suppression". Zooming out to a monthly chart, XMR/BTC remains in a 3.5 year long downtrend. Traders appear to simply be getting out of their losing positions:

The only hope appears to be the bullish divergence on the Weekly chart. But given price is back to the lows, this could easily breakdown as easily as it was established:

I think there could additionally be fundamental reasons for this continued downtrend, and why it was never broken at the start of the year (as was the case for many blue-chip altcoins). The KYC situation doesn't sound to me like much of an issue if users are using stealth addresses, but the amount of busts of darkweb dealers putting XMR into the hands of various governments could be very relevant.

For example very recently "31.6 million in cash and cryptocurrency seized". Let's assume this was mainly crypto (as it usually is when raiding darkweb dealers). Let's also assume that most of this was XMR as opposed to BTC, given this is generally known to be more popular on the darkweb than Bitcoin these days. Various states seizing millions in Monero and will likely auction it off or dump it on the spot market.

The question to me is: can speculators & darkweb customers absorb the selling pressure from various states? Theoretically yes, as the liquidity is merely the darkweb coins going predominantly back to the market I assume, but can this happen so efficiently when dozens of XMR stashes confiscated? I doubt it. Some XMR stahes will likely be years of coins being hodled, and thus too much in the short-term to absorb.

Just my theory anyway. I think the increased seizures of Monero is bringing down the price, given unlike Bitcoin states aren't going to hodl this. They would prefer to dump it along with the price to damage the ecosystem.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tokeweed
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 02:53:24 PM

^  Check out the monthly chart right from the very start it got listed.

It don’t look too good after 2018 vs BTC.  Lol.  And it’s a long term trend too.  I think it’s time to start living with the fact that Fluffy could be right when he used the beta vs VHS comparison...  That better tech doesn’t mean automatic win.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 06:14:25 PM
Merited by infofront (1), bitebits (1), Biro Bob (1), IntroVert (1)

It don’t look too good after 2018 vs BTC.  Lol.  And it’s a long term trend too.  I think it’s time to start living with the fact that Fluffy could be right when he used the beta vs VHS comparison...  That better tech doesn’t mean automatic win.

You analysis might be right... but that last phrase. "That better tech doesn’t mean automatic win."   That is a black and white statement that sort of puts Monero in a fight against Bitcoin.  Early in the history of this project the community did not see Monero as particularly the successor to bitcoin, but instead as a compliment to it.  After all there are MANY strong advantages to a cryptocurrency project with a transparent ledger.  Likewise there are arguments for a project whose base layer is obfuscated. 

But in more recent years the monero community has become more and more like the BCASH community with some of the devs, also being more vocal about Monero really being the replacement to Bitcoin.  A lot of the same talking points worked their way over to Monero... Bitcoin isn;t p2p cash, there needs to be an adjustable blocksize, without perpetual inflation bitcoin is doomed. 

In essence: Monero is the successor to Bitcoin.

This is a sentiment that I believe has done great damage to the monero community. It has turned the community into just another shitcoin like Ripple (The banks will use it!), or nano (fees will kill Bitcoin) or BSV (the sky is orange!  Well yeah.. BSV is a fucking trainwreck).  Monero is "The coin you thought Bitcoin was" or Betamax to Bitcoin VHS.

But luckily the community is not really that relevant when it comes to Monero's continued leadership of the privacy sector of crypto.

Monero has fallen to #40 on Coinmarketcap.  Why?  Well that's easy.  The narrative just doesn't matter to anyone any more.  Monero really NEVER positioned itself as a way to make early investors rich.  (The community has taken that BCASH slogan as well that Bitcoin is just "NGU tech" and therefore evil).  It does not have the scammy fundamentals necessary to be best in class as far as the scams do.  Shuiba Inu is doing real well there with however many trillions of coins issued...

But Monero hold the VERY UNIQUE position of being a distributed digital currency with an actual reason to exist.  It is the fairest project that is also best in class for privacy.  And there are some really nice design choices that might just contribute to it's continued success.  Like the perpetual reward, and the convertable block size.  This is what makes it valuable.  Period.

The ONLY thing that will increase the price of an asset like Monero is more demand.  Econ 101.  And the demand for get rich quick garbage is outstripping it handily.  As well as whiz-bang digital rube goldberg machines.

Monero does not need to displace Bitcoin to be valuable.  It never could anyway.  Because bitcoin is WAY BETTER AT WHAT IT DOES than Monero could be.  AND it was first, yes.

But if Monero is as useful as I think it is (in contrast to something like Shibu?) then it is severely undervalued.  So I believe it goes up in value again... someday.  it might take a while for people to get it... And frankly?  Bitcoin is the better store of value.  Monero is good for transacting with....  so if you don;t hold much, who cares about the charts? 

Right.  We want it to go up.  Yeah me too.  And I think it will.  It really has to.
tokeweed
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 04:01:06 PM

You analysis might be right... but that last phrase. "That better tech doesn’t mean automatic win."   That is a black and white statement that sort of puts Monero in a fight against Bitcoin.  Early in the history of this project the community did not see Monero as particularly the successor to bitcoin, but instead as a compliment to it.  After all there are MANY strong advantages to a cryptocurrency project with a transparent ledger.  Likewise there are arguments for a project whose base layer is obfuscated. 

The phrase shouldn’t necessarily suggest that it’s putting up a fight against BTC or that the comparison is necessarily only with BTC.  Doge obv is worse tech than XMR.  Is it even maintained?  And yet in the competition of having a higher market cap, XMR is losing ground.  As the phrase suggests...  It’s just how some things go sometimes.  No more, no less.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 01, 2021, 03:56:32 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

But in more recent years the monero community has become more and more like the BCASH community with some of the devs, also being more vocal about Monero really being the replacement to Bitcoin.  A lot of the same talking points worked their way over to Monero... Bitcoin isn;t p2p cash, there needs to be an adjustable blocksize, without perpetual inflation bitcoin is doomed. 

This is a sentiment that I believe has done great damage to the monero community. It has turned the community into just another shitcoin like Ripple (The banks will use it!), or nano (fees will kill Bitcoin) or BSV (the sky is orange!  Well yeah.. BSV is a fucking trainwreck).  Monero is "The coin you thought Bitcoin was" or Betamax to Bitcoin VHS.

But luckily the community is not really that relevant when it comes to Monero's continued leadership of the privacy sector of crypto.

Monero has fallen to #40 on Coinmarketcap.  Why?  Well that's easy.  The narrative just doesn't matter to anyone any more.  Monero really NEVER positioned itself as a way to make early investors rich.  (The community has taken that BCASH slogan as well that Bitcoin is just "NGU tech" and therefore evil).  It does not have the scammy fundamentals necessary to be best in class as far as the scams do.  Shuiba Inu is doing real well there with however many trillions of coins issued...

But Monero hold the VERY UNIQUE position of being a distributed digital currency with an actual reason to exist.  It is the fairest project that is also best in class for privacy.  And there are some really nice design choices that might just contribute to it's continued success.  Like the perpetual reward, and the convertable block size.  This is what makes it valuable.  Period.

The ONLY thing that will increase the price of an asset like Monero is more demand.  Econ 101.  And the demand for get rich quick garbage is outstripping it handily.  As well as whiz-bang digital rube goldberg machines.

Monero does not need to displace Bitcoin to be valuable.  It never could anyway.  Because bitcoin is WAY BETTER AT WHAT IT DOES than Monero could be.  AND it was first, yes.

But if Monero is as useful as I think it is (in contrast to something like Shibu?) then it is severely undervalued.  So I believe it goes up in value again... someday.  it might take a while for people to get it... And frankly?  Bitcoin is the better store of value.  Monero is good for transacting with....  so if you don;t hold much, who cares about the charts? 

Right.  We want it to go up.  Yeah me too.  And I think it will.  It really has to.

I recall one of Risto's points, that helped sell me on Moreno, was that it was a perfect complimentary blockchain to bitcoin. You won't hear many arguments like that anymore.  Cheesy
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 01, 2021, 07:19:55 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2021, 01:55:46 PM by mprep
Merited by Hueristic (1)

I recall one of Risto's points, that helped sell me on Moreno, was that it was a perfect complimentary blockchain to bitcoin. You won't hear many arguments like that anymore.  Cheesy

No, and I think we have lost something because of it.  The Monero community has become shrill and anti-maxi.  But Monero does not care.

Last month there were 700k Monero transactions in October.  And 8mm for Bitcoin.  So Monero is doing 8.75% of the transactions that Bitcoin is.  And these transactions are not "gas fees" or any other artificial sort of demand.  I would even suspect that the percentage of them associated with pure speculation is also lower than most other transactional cryptocurrencies.

Eventually Monero's utility gets noticed by people smart enough to get it...  Right? lol.

PS.  There are a LOT of members of the MAXI class that are either closet Monero folks, or even "out" ones lol:

So:

https://www.wired.com/story/white-house-market-dark-web-drugs-goes-down/

It's interesting that Monero's transaction volume is not only not really down... it is still holding all this last month at levels above 3/4ths of the year.

I feel this is worth pondering... so i shall.  What do you folks think about that?

I do not mean this as an endorsement of illegal markets.  But WHM was unique.  They seemed to shut by choice, and no one got ripped off.

Interesting world.

Biro Bob

Activity: 308
Merit: 146

View Profile
November 02, 2021, 10:03:00 AM

There are tools out there that turn the Bitcoin blockchain into an open shopwindow showing every transaction you make and who you made it to. From named Exchanges to payment gateways, darknet markets, ransomware companies etc. etc.. they even have some pretty good guesses at identifying which addresses are linked to the same wallet even if they’re not identified to a named entity. Whilst this is admirable in that if you use Bitcoin for a criminal act - you will get caught, it’s also not good for anonymity. As such, Bitcoin is more like a stock to be traded and hedged against inflation with a legitimate audit trail (showing when you bought it and sold and who owns it)- rather than cash or a legitimate bank account which still affords more privacy than Bitcoin which can be tracked wihout a court order. Trust me - these tools are very powerful and its not just ‘the good guys’ who have access to them.

XMR has been painted as a ‘coin for criminals’ when in reality it is just what is should be: Your money is none of my business and mine is none of yours!
tokeweed
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2021, 02:20:33 PM

So:

https://www.wired.com/story/white-house-market-dark-web-drugs-goes-down/

It's interesting that Monero's transaction volume is not only not really down... it is still holding all this last month at levels above 3/4ths of the year.

I feel this is worth pondering... so i shall.  What do you folks think about that?

I do not mean this as an endorsement of illegal markets.  But WHM was unique.  They seemed to shut by choice, and no one got ripped off.

Interesting world.

Buyers and merchants at DNM’s are prolly used to it by now.  Whether a DNM platform was taken down by LE, hacked, scammed, rugged or with WHM’s scenario, just retired after prolly making the owners hundreds of millions of USD.  DN users just go to the next most trusted platform.  So yeah...  It prolly doesn’t matter for XMR as far as tx count is concerned.  Users will continue using it cos it’s just a lot more safer than BTC.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
November 02, 2021, 05:28:32 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2021, 09:19:01 PM by cAPSLOCK
Merited by infofront (1)

I have been waiting a LONG time to begin to see this start happening.  Since 2014 in fact.

1.  We are on the cusp of a much deeper interest in Monero from the wider cypherpunk community.
2.  We are possibly also going to be regaining the community focus as Monero as a COMPLIMENT to bitcoin rather than a competitor.

This recording of a Twitter Spaces hosted by Guns N' Bitcoins after they announced the intent to start to accept Monero (for obvious reasons) is worth a listen.

Behold the beginning of the beginning...

https://twitter.com/sethforprivacy/status/1455510248349962255?s=20

-edit avoiding multiple posts in a row for our mods-

So it gets juicy at about minute 52.  A listener states they do not understand why someone would be 100% Monero and reject bitcoin.  And another listener gave a good reason, and one that I think is fairly new-ish in the Monero community.  The answer was: Bitcoin has been co-opted.

Now.  I believe that person believes that.  Earlier in the talk someone brought up Blockstream and how they have programmed us to believe in small blocks etc.  Maybe the same person.

THIS is what I mean when I say the Monero community is using BCASH arguments now.

I am also aware that people in this thread probably agree with the assertion that is being made there.  But I think this is a really bad line.  Because there is a better way to bring people INTO an understanding of Monero without forcing them into an adversarial position with Bitcoin.

Let's use Michael Saylor as an example.  Anyone notice how he's often said he does not think Bitcoin challenges the US dollar?  If you have listened to him for more than 45 seconds you know he is smart enough to get that Bitcoin ABSOLUTELY challenges all fiat currencies.  But he is focusing on the "better at being gold than gold" angle.

His reasons are simple, in my humble opinion.  It's what Bitcoin needs to do FIRST.  And it's ALL bitcoin needs to do FIRST.  Because once it has basically replaced gold (not a trivial boss-fight in itself) then becoming a worldwide transactional currency is something that CANNOT be stopped.

But if Saylor was prancing around talking about how it is going to "destroy the dollar" then he'd be painting a target on it.  Not only is the approach sensible it's honest.  Because again, that is all Bitcoin needs to do right now.  Become the premium store of wealth.

Likewise Monero does not need to replace Bitcoin.  It just needs to COMPLIMENT IT.  And for those who truly believe Bitcoin has been co-opted?  Well don't use Bitcoin then, for sure.  But it will be in your best interest to work in a way that will make monero attractive to as many people as possible.  And you can coexist with the Bitcoin community and disagree with them.  Or even believe that Monero should and/or WILL replace Bitcoin in the end.

It is like the famous Hayek quote:

don't believe we shall ever have a good money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, we can't take it violently out of the hands of govt, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop

We don't need to replace Bitcoin.  We just need to keep pointing out that there are some things Monero does that Bitcoin not only does not... but CANNOT.

My final point.  This street works both ways.  There are tremendous advantages to an open transparent blockchain.  Bitcoin is better at certain things.  And it will eat all the other shitcoins features over time.  But one thing it can NEVER do is have an obfuscated base layer.

Selah.
Pages: « 1 ... 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 2138 2139 2140 2141 2142 2143 2144 2145 2146 2147 2148 2149 2150 2151 2152 2153 2154 2155 2156 2157 2158 2159 2160 2161 2162 2163 2164 2165 2166 2167 [2168] 2169 2170 2171 2172 2173 2174 2175 2176 2177 2178 2179 2180 2181 2182 2183 2184 2185 2186 2187 2188 2189 2190 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: