Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:05:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GEMZ] GetGems - Social Messaging App That Pays - Live on Android, iOS, Web  (Read 597140 times)
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 03:02:45 AM

Had an issue with the app on my Lenovo A806 (Android 4.4.2).
It kept saying "the specific user is not found" when I tap on the wallet.
Then I loaded Google Play and it won't show up under "my apps"
Had a look around and saw Getgems Messenger in Google Play and the greenish Install button.
So shall I uninstall the old Gems app and download "Getgems Messenger"?

Yes, everyone please uninstall the old Gems app and download "Getgems Messenger"
only Getgems Messenger will get updated when we push new things.

Daniel, noted.

And how much is the fee for every tx (GEMZ or btc) on the app?

peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:09:45 AM

Had an issue with the app on my Lenovo A806 (Android 4.4.2).
It kept saying "the specific user is not found" when I tap on the wallet.
Then I loaded Google Play and it won't show up under "my apps"
Had a look around and saw Getgems Messenger in Google Play and the greenish Install button.
So shall I uninstall the old Gems app and download "Getgems Messenger"?

Yes, everyone please uninstall the old Gems app and download "Getgems Messenger"
only Getgems Messenger will get updated when we push new things.

Daniel, noted.
And how much is the fee for every tx (GEMZ or btc) on the app?

gemz is 0.000256 btc
btc is 0.0001 btc
peled1986 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:11:18 AM

Not sure what the problem is, but I was telling a family member to sign up and my brother who already signed up had his number and messaged him during the sign up process? (before the screen to save the phrase) It apparently skipped all of that. Anything I can do to get it for him?

interesting - we will try to reproduce this.
tell your family member to open a new Gems username.
luckykitty

Activity: 533
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:17:35 AM

Can you offer the .apk link on QR code?
Like http://www.nxttypay.com/
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:46:58 AM

you should explain more about tip system
can we also tip bitcoin?
karmala

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:51:23 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2015, 11:35:25 AM by karmala

It looks like that you need to have the phone numbers of those who you want to send btc or gems to. I think I remember that the plan was to be able to send gems or btc to any gems user, right?

Telgram messenger with attention economy http://r.getgems.org/m/TuJXXBal9o
Gizfreak
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

Allergic to false promises

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:33:45 AM

I succeeded in changing the Gems app to the GetGems app, but I must say that it is far from user-friendly, but ok I know that this was not planned and should be no problem for new users.
One thing that I noticed is that I have to choose the country code (+031 by default in my case) from the list, instead of leaving it to default. Otherwise I get a message stating that I entered an unknown country code.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:57:06 AM

I succeeded in changing the Gems app to the GetGems app, but I must say that it is far from user-friendly, but ok I know that this was not planned and should be no problem for new users.
One thing that I noticed is that I have to choose the country code (+031 by default in my case) from the list, instead of leaving it to default. Otherwise I get a message stating that I entered an unknown country code.

That's more to do with how your phone is set up than Gems app. It had my country set up due to it using my location.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:00:19 PM

• Logged out of the GEMS Messenger v2.1.5 (408) - When I open the app again and select "Already have an account" I have to go through the exact same process as creating a new account, Enter Username, Enter Passphrase, Enter PinCode, Enter phonenumber. I thought I read somewhere this was simplified or is this something that will be simplified in upcoming releases?
  • Notifications. I was able to send some test btc to my GF, she received the btc almost instantly in her wallet (perfect). there was however no message or indication where the btc came from? When she tried to send back the exact same amount this failed, presumably because she didn't have enough to send that amount + fees. There is however no notification of the sending failing or why it fails. It asks for the pin and warns about the fact that she's about to send btc. But it doesn't. Maybe notifications are in place here.

Logged out? I'm not sure that even possible. :0.  you only need to use the password when you set the account up on your phone.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

• Logged out of the GEMS Messenger v2.1.5 (408) - When I open the app again and select "Already have an account" I have to go through the exact same process as creating a new account, Enter Username, Enter Passphrase, Enter PinCode, Enter phonenumber. I thought I read somewhere this was simplified or is this something that will be simplified in upcoming releases?
  • Notifications. I was able to send some test btc to my GF, she received the btc almost instantly in her wallet (perfect). there was however no message or indication where the btc came from? When she tried to send back the exact same amount this failed, presumably because she didn't have enough to send that amount + fees. There is however no notification of the sending failing or why it fails. It asks for the pin and warns about the fact that she's about to send btc. But it doesn't. Maybe notifications are in place here.
Logged out? I'm not sure that even possible. :0.  you only need to use the password when you set the account up on your phone.

Main menu, Settings, Top right corner dropdown, Log Out

Ah ok. I'm not sure I personally would ever log out really, the wallet is protected by the pin and if you really don't want someone to see a chat you can destroy it. But other people have different needs. It would be nice if the wallet pin also locked the app maybe if you wanted that function as an optional..
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 01:33:36 PM

Logged out? I'm not sure that even possible. :0.  you only need to use the password when you set the account up on your phone.
Main menu, Settings, Top right corner dropdown, Log Out
Ah ok. I'm not sure I personally would ever log out really, the wallet is protected by the pin and if you really don't want someone to see a chat you can destroy it. But other people have different needs. It would be nice if the wallet pin also locked the app maybe if you wanted that function as an optional..
I like the log out option and would use it if just username and pin would be enough to log back in again. Use case: What if someone needs to borrow your phone for what ever reason for a few hours.. It has annoyed me in the past with for example Gmail that a simple log out is not possible on smartphones so I am happy to see GEMS Messenger does have the option to log out, if only they would make it a little easier to log back in :-)

I try not to lent my phone to another person. Too much hassle and I have my Google Auth / Authy on it. Too personal.

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:12:42 PM

Are those who got some GEMS during the pre-sale supposed to transfer them from koinify to the app now or later?

It will be enabled for withdrawal on January 10 with a pretty slick 2fa, see here for more info https://koinify.com/blog/community-catch-up-1215-withdrawl-2fa-development-update/

Also subscribe to https://twitter.com/getgemsorg and http://www.reddit.com/r/GetGems for more of the latest news.
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:50:49 PM

Are those who got some GEMS during the pre-sale supposed to transfer them from koinify to the app now or later?
It will be enabled for withdrawal on January 10 with a pretty slick 2fa, see here for more info https://koinify.com/blog/community-catch-up-1215-withdrawl-2fa-development-update/
Also subscribe to https://twitter.com/getgemsorg and http://www.reddit.com/r/GetGems for more of the latest news.
Hey Netnox, I've read the update on the Konify blog.. I do see they are keeping their options open in regards to the name, using both GEMZ and GEMS in the article. Anyway the article is what prompted me ask the question about having to transfer GEMZ yes or no.

"All referrals are being tracked internally by the Gems team, and users will be compensated for their contributions when the iOS & reward systems go live."

If I understand correctly rewards are distributed based on your GEMZ stash, the 20% 80% part in the whitepaper. How can they keep track if my GEMZ are not yet connected to my username/account?

I think your quote refers the contribution score of the total number of new, active users you have invited will be tracked. Regarding rewards on your stash in your account which is the second contribution score i think it can't be tracked as of now because it is not possible yet to send Gemz to the app, although i'm not sure by account if they mean Koinify account or the Getgems app account. This is what i've gathered from reading it though. So many ways to get rewarded actually which is pretty cool.
Papcio77

Activity: 841
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:35:53 PM

Daniel, is January 10 GEMS will also be withdrawn bter.com?  :::: http://snag.gy/M6jLS.jpg  Why do you avoid answering this question, Daniel?
clochard

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:54:19 PM

I posted this on the official Gems facebook page as well, but I make an extra post here so that people who are no active on facebook, or part of this group can also react on it.

First of all, I am very satisfied with the App sofar. Great job guys! I already did a Bitcoin transaction to a friend of mine and everything worked perfectly. I did another Bitcoin transaction (tried it twice) half an hour ago to my cousin and this did not work however. It was never transfered out of my wallet and it never arrived to her. No clue how that is possible, since I entered my code. I hope these problems will be solved soon, since this feature (being able to transfer money in a click from one to another) is one of the coolest things which I like to use to show people the possibilities.

A few improvement points I could still think of:

- When you invite a friend through a link that you share in whatsapp, telegram, etc, and people register through that link, I think it would be better if you are automatically rewarded instead of those people having to enter your name. Because I noticed if I really have to push people to fill in my name, it comes off a bit suspicious, like if there is no real advantage for them to switch from Whatsapp/Telegram to Gems, but only for me.
- I understand that the colour pink is part of your branding, but you might think about offering the option to change this colour of the banner and other little elements to one other colour such as dark grey or dark blue. It is indeed, like some others mentioned here, not very masculine. I don't see it as a huge problem though.
- In the wallet, it would be nice if there is a small tip as well about how to send Bitcoins. For now, you only did it for Gems. I found out in the end how it worked, but some small info for new users that are not very tech savvy would be great.
- How about sending gems in group chats? What happens if I type: 100 gems in a group chat? Will it give me the option to then select how I want to divide these 100 gems over the group members
in the group? That would be really cool. Imagine you owe 20 gems to Pete, 35 gems to Robert and 47 gems to Julia. This equals a total of 102 gems. If you could then type ’102 gems’ and it gives you the option to divide this 102 in chunks over different groupmembers, that would be cool.
- In group chats, an option to share a picture/video/file with only a selection of the group, would be also nice. Imagine you want to make a joke with someone, but he is the only one not being able to see the picture. Sending the picture and deselect this person from the list you send the image to would be a nice feature.
- In your posts about advertising, I read that it will be possible to add more information to your profile, such as age, gender, location and maybe things such as hobbies, interests, etc. This is key if you want companies to target their target group adequately. I expect that these options will be added soon, since they give a lot of added value to your product.
- In the wallet, it would be nice and in my eyes even necessary if you could see a list of transactions that you have done (incoming and outgoing transactions). This way there can never be confusion about Gems/Bitcoins being sent to one of your friends.

I had a question about the fee as well. Will this fee remain equal in Bitcoin/Gems, or will it automatically become more/less when Bitcoin/Gems raise/decline in value? The current Bitcoin fee is 0.0001, which equals 2,5 eurocent. Imagine Bitcoin rises tenfold, would this mean that a single transaction becomes 25 eurocent? It would then become quite expensive in all honesty. Any insight on this?

One more question: what happens if the 50.000.000 gems of the presale are not all sold. As it looks like, not all Gems will be sold during the presale. Will you extend the sale or will the chunk that is going to be used for the airdrops simply be bigger?

Again, great job till now and keep up the good work! I am looking forward for the moment of the iOS release, as this will spark the moment when I can introduce the majority of my social circle into Gems Smiley
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:42:52 PM

I did another Bitcoin transaction (tried it twice) half an hour ago to my cousin and this did not work however. It was never transfered out of my wallet and it never arrived to her. No clue how that is possible, since I entered my code. I hope these problems will be solved soon, since this feature (being able to transfer money in a click from one to another) is one of the coolest things which I like to use to show people the possibilities.

Well noticed, have you downloaded the new install? It's called Getgems instead of Gems, maybe it has been solved in the new one don't know, but to be sure send this to them also as a direct message on https://twitter.com/getgemsorg in case this goes past them.

- When you invite a friend through a link that you share in whatsapp, telegram, etc, and people register through that link, I think it would be better if you are automatically rewarded instead of those people having to enter your name. Because I noticed if I really have to push people to fill in my name, it comes off a bit suspicious, like if there is no real advantage for them to switch from Whatsapp/Telegram to Gems, but only for me.

What if i invite a friend without a link? Just say that he should go and download the app, then there is no link to click, in this case he has the option to give my name which is useful. For your suggestion see the bold part, i actually pasted the whole inviters section.

The Invitation System—Determining Who To Reward

The first part of the model is based on the invitation system. When each new Gems account is created, the new user is asked to confirm which user invited him into the network.

This process is easy because the inviter’s username is usually prefilled, since it comes attached to the invitation link for downloading the Gems app that users can share with their friends. A new user can override the invitation credit and give it to any user he wants. (See the section on presale perks to find out what happens when the new user gives no invitation credit.)

From this point on, the system remembers the original inviter for every user in the network, and every user has an original inviter. This is a key point of the model.

Counting Active Users

The next part of the model involves determining the number of active users. Since airdrops occur every day, we only consider active users during the previous twenty-four hours.

An “active user” in a given a twenty-four-hour period is defined as one who has used the Gems app in that time period and who has performed several social activities within it (such as sending an instant message, trading gems, and so on). A user is marked as either “active” or “not active.” There is no regard to the actual amount of activity. It is important to note that this part of the algorithm is a probable target of attempted fraud. The algorithm employs various techniques to filter fraudulent users and avoid “activity spam.” (See the section about avoiding fraudulent activity and spam.)

After the system determines the daily list of active users, the algorithm checks for their original inviter, and then counts the total number of active users per original inviter.

For example, let’s assume user A invited users A1, A2 and A3, and user B invited users B1, B2 and B3. During the twenty-four-hour period, users A1, A2 and B3 were determined to be active. After counting the totals, user A has a count of 2 active users and user B has a count of 1.

Factoring It All In—The Contribution Score

The final part of the model involves calculating a contribution score for every user in the network. The number of gems in the airdrop is divided between users according to their contribution score.

For example, user A has a contribution score of 20 and user B has a contribution score of 5. If we had 100 gems in the airdrop, user A would receive 80 gems and user B would receive 20 gems.

The contribution score for a user is calculated according to two complementary factors:

The total number of new, active users that the user invited during the time period. This calculation is directly related to the active-user counts (total of active users per original inviter).

The total number of gems that the user currently holds in his account. This means that users with large amount of gems will be rewarded more generously than users without gems.

Uninvited users are attributed to random presale participants

The detailed description of the daily airdrop outlines the invitation system. Every user in the network is attributed to an original inviter (the user who originally brought them into the network). Daily airdrop contributions are proportional to the number of active new users that a user has invited. This means that the more users you invite, the more gems you will receive during an airdrop.

The invitation system works by asking new users to confirm the username of their inviter when they initially create their Gems account. Many new users will arrive without invitation. If a new user learns about Gems from our official website getgems.org and then downloads the app, no original inviter will be connected with the creation of the new account.

New users who do not indicate an original inviter will automatically be assigned a random presale participant as their original inviter. This means that Gems will attribute new users to  the accounts of presale participants without them having to actually invite them. This is a substantial perk, since these attributions will continue even after the end of the presale.

Please note that the randomized process of choosing a presale participant is proportional to the original purchase amount. This means that a presale participant who purchases twice as many gems as another will receive twice as many random new-user attributions.

Daily airdrop contributions are proportional to the total amount of gems held

If you recall the specifics of the daily airdrop algorithm, the second influencing factor to the contribution score is the total number of gems a user currently holds in his account.

It is important to note that gems are intended to be used solely as an in-app cryptographic token. They are tokens representing a credit for app features and in no way, shape or form should be considered a speculative or financial vehicle. Users should not purchase gems other than with the intention to use them internally with the Gems application.

- How about sending gems in group chats? What happens if I type: 100 gems in a group chat? Will it give me the option to then select how I want to divide these 100 gems over the group members
in the group? That would be really cool. Imagine you owe 20 gems to Pete, 35 gems to Robert and 47 gems to Julia. This equals a total of 102 gems. If you could then type ’102 gems’ and it gives you the option to divide this 102 in chunks over different groupmembers, that would be cool.[

- In group chats, an option to share a picture/video/file with only a selection of the group, would be also nice. Imagine you want to make a joke with someone, but he is the only one not being able to see the picture. Sending the picture and deselect this person from the list you send the image to would be a nice feature.

- In the wallet, it would be nice and in my eyes even necessary if you could see a list of transactions that you have done (incoming and outgoing transactions). This way there can never be confusion about Gems/Bitcoins being sent to one of your friends.

These are pretty nice ideas for devs to look into.

One more question: what happens if the 50.000.000 gems of the presale are not all sold. As it looks like, not all Gems will be sold during the presale. Will you extend the sale or will the chunk that is going to be used for the airdrops simply be bigger?

Any unsold GEMZ tokens will be burnt at the end of the sale, by sending to a verified unspendable address.

Again, great job till now and keep up the good work! I am looking forward for the moment of the iOS release, as this will spark the moment when I can introduce the majority of my social circle into Gems Smiley

Same here, ordered an iPhone 6 last week waiting for delivery.
clochard

Activity: 99

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:14:06 PM

Thanks so much for the replies guys! This defenitely illuminates most of the issues Smiley

Good to see that if people open the link in the mobile phone, the username of the one sending the link is automatically filled in. This solves the issue I had.

Also very clever to divide the gems for new users who appear without invitation over the innovators who bought at the presale. This way these people are really rewared for helping to grow the network.
andresm

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:31:44 PM

Why was the name changed to Getgems Messenger?
Anyone knows why it was changed?
Just Gems was much simpler, any reason to overcomplicate it?
Netnox
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:41:42 PM

People suggested the change because searching for Gems in any app store reveals tons of game apps, and even other messenger apps. Having a unique name (e.g. WhatsApp) is a very good idea. Getgems is a good alternative it has been the name of the website aswell, but calling it Getgems is no mandatory you can just call it Gems.
andresm

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:53:13 PM

People suggested the change because searching for Gems in any app store reveals tons of game apps, and even other messenger apps. Having a unique name (e.g. WhatsApp) is a very good idea. Getgems is a good alternative it has been the name of the website aswell, but calling it Getgems is no mandatory you can just call it Gems.
In that case I personally believe it should be named Gems Messenger.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: