Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:30:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466757 times)
solarcoiner

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 02:17:21 AM

Let me start off by saying i'm happy things seem to be working now.
However I was under the impression that we had agreed on that Proof of Stake would start at block 340000.
I'm pretty sure I remember Steve saying he would go on a two day vacation before coming back to finally find out what went wrong with the last POST implementation.
I would have at least expected a little transparency, but instead POST is suddenly implemented, and the community doesn't even know why it really went wrong last time. To me it seems like we are rushing into something we know nothing about.
I completely agree with the fact that POS is the way to go for Solarcoin, but it's in all of our best interest to get it right! Hard forks are no joke, and it would be stupid if we had to do another one just because we didn't take the time to look at every aspect of this.

What was the scale scope and cause of this problem?
Why did POST magically take over at block 835000 while Steve was on vacation even though we had not reached consensus?
We're all in this for the long run, and we need more transparency !
Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onsightit

Activity: 308

truth=(true?true:false);

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 02:17:26 AM

So if the Bittrex wallet has been disabled this whole time, that means all the SLR currently on the offer side are good coins to buy right? We just won't be able to send them back until Bittrex get the POST wallet up? Or is there some risk that people still running the 1.5 wallet have some roundabout means of listing coins for sale? There has been trading taking place, it looks like it is possible to buy them. How to be sure which ones are being listed?

I feel like I want to buy some more now that this big hurdle has been cleared. Grin Or I could just be patient... LOL

I'd play it safe and wait until Bittrex updates.  I'm pretty sure they are just waiting on us to give a "thumbs up".  The foundation is having a meeting in the morning to discuss the state of the network, then I think a thumb will be given.  Wink

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 02:20:11 AM

However I was under the impression that we had agreed on that Proof of Stake would start at block 340000.
I'm pretty sure I remember Steve saying he would go on a two day vacation before coming back to finally find out what went wrong with the last POST implementation.
I would have at least expected a little transparency, but instead POST is suddenly implemented, and the community doesn't even know why it really went wrong last time. To me it seems like we are rushing into something we know nothing about.
I completely agree with the fact that POS is the way to go for Solarcoin, but it's in all of our best interest to get it right! Hard forks are no joke, and it would be stupid if we had to do another one just because we didn't take the time to look at every aspect of this.

Why did POST magically take over at block 835000 while Steve was on vacation even though we had not reached consensus?
Thank you

Hi SolarCoiner,  you can read my explanation here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=785257.msg12522376#msg12522376

-Steve

VRC: VMTMcvFjZHAshmVNLY5KYVHCTqcfEnH6Bd  SLR: 8W7D6D7rortYp51BK9MSrfripSoZWyVPVr  BTC: 1LbgAsTDtyWEGjiSaguJhJbaHBPgcMnHfP  BCC: 1Ta39PK67VXTD2xnmPNo5J9KJyBVHdYmy
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 02:25:28 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2015, 02:50:35 AM by onsightit

All,

I really want to stress the importance of getting everyone off 1.5 and on to 2.0.3.  The health of the network is in the hands of everyone still on 1.5.  Currently, that's 45% of the wallets.

EDIT: Thanks CryptoID for those stats!

-Steve

solarcoiner

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 02:45:35 AM

Thank you

Hi SolarCoiner,  you can read my explanation here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=785257.msg12522376#msg12522376

-Steve

So you accidentally had it switch to POST while you were gone , is that what you are saying?
I see a couple of problems here: who got rewarded with the first 120 blocks? you said it yourself, when less people are staking the rewards are bigger! Do you call that a fair launch? I would say no.
I'm still not sure the problem has fully been identified.
In addition to that I asked a few questions regarding security which were never answered.
And now you are trying to convince everyone to switch to 2.03 although there is absolutely no consensus.
Dont get me wrong I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into Solarcoin, but I really don't agree with the way things went down
lfloorwalker

Activity: 224
Merit: 150

solcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 03:00:16 AM

Hi all,

I have just reloaded our wallets on a windows system.
Currently we are on block 835,237. I see 8 active connections on the SolarCoin network.

I'll explain what I did so that this may be of help to others.

I was running ver2.0.1 and i hadn't synced the blockchain for more than 9 days (I was away on holidays) so it was a block 815,000 or similar.
Then I opened the ver2.0.1 wallet, downloaded ver2.0.3 from within the wallet. Re-installed ver2.0.3. And then restarted.

Then I looked at the blockchain sync process. It seems that at block 835,213 the wallet that was running ver2.0.3 stopped downloading new blocks (I suspose this was the fork?). So, then I followed Steves instructions and downloaded the bootstrap. I can't emphasize this point enough, follow the instructions to download the bootstrap and reload the blockchain. I did the manual process of replacing the mentioned files.

Then when I turned on the ver2.0.3 wallet again and then was able to sync up to 835,237. The wallet says that I am staking sometimes and tells me an estimated interest rate, when not staking it says "In Sync" and "Earning stake time."

Thanking you,
Great work to all.
Yours in the sun generating interest.
-lfloorwalker

Hello SolarCoin Community,

As you may have noticed, the fork occurred at 835000, a slight oversight on my part before leaving for a needed sanity button reset.

Here's what I need everyone to do.  Check your block height by hovering your mouse over the Sync/Staking icon.  At the time of this writing, you should be at height 835224.  If you are at a larger or lesser height, please go to File->Reload Blockchain, download the bootstrap and restart to get on the main chain.

If you have trouble getting the Download to work in the wallet, you can get it here: http://solarcoin.org/downloads/bootstrap.zip

To manually install the bootstrap, shut down the wallet, remove blk0001.dat and txleveldb in your data directory, extract the contents of bootstrap.zip, and move the contents to your data directory.

It looks like the 10% cap is working.  If you would like to share the results of your staking, please post them here.

-Steve

EDIT: We need as many wallets staking as possible to get the blockchain moving along a 1 bpm.

EDIT: If you are mining on 1.5, please turn off your miners as you will be wasting electricity on anything past 835000.

|Solcrypto|ElectriCChain| SLR Tips: 8Hocu8s8u8FFAyh5ev2qsNmLZYgeiVToHi
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 03:00:53 AM

Thank you

Hi SolarCoiner,  you can read my explanation here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=785257.msg12522376#msg12522376

-Steve

So you accidentally had it switch to POST while you were gone , is that what you are saying?
I see a couple of problems here: who got rewarded with the first 120 blocks? you said it yourself, when less people are staking the rewards are bigger! Do you call that a fair launch? I would say no.
In addition to that I asked a few questions regarding security which were never answered.
And now you are trying to convince everyone to switch to 2.03 although there is absolutely no consensus.
Dont get me wrong I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into Solarcoin, but I really don't agree with the way things went down

Those that received interest in the first 120 blocks were those that were upgraded to 2.0.3 (which, everyone should have - I posted it before I left). There's really no issue whether we forked at 835000 or 840000.  Everyone had the same notice to upgrade.  I just neglected to make the change from 835000 to 840000.  I sincerely apologize for that.

What were your questions regarding security?  I'm here for the rest of the evening...

-Steve

onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 03:04:06 AM

Hi all,

Currently we are on block 835,237. I see 8 active connections on the SolarCoin network.

I was running ver2.0.1 and i hadn't synced the blockchain for more than 9 days (I was away on holidays) so it was a block 815,000 or similar.
Then I opened the ver2.0.1 wallet, downloaded ver2.0.3 from within the wallet. Re-installed ver2.0.3. And then restarted.

Then I looked at the blockchain sync process. It seems that at block 835,213 the wallet that was running ver2.0.3 stopped downloading new blocks (I suspose this was the fork?). So, then I followed Steves instructions and downloaded the bootstrap. I can't emphasize this point enough, follow the instructions to download the bootstrap and reload the blockchain. I did the manual process of replacing the mentioned files.

Then when I turned on the ver2.0.3 wallet again and then was able to sync up to 835,237. The wallet says that I am staking sometimes and tells me an estimated interest rate, when not staking it says "In Sync" and "Earning stake time."

Thanking you,
Great work to all.
-lfloorwalker

As you may have noticed, the fork occurred at 835000, a slight oversight on my part before leaving for a needed sanity button reset.

Here's what I need everyone to do.  Check your block height by hovering your mouse over the Sync/Staking icon.  At the time of this writing, you should be at height 835224.  If you are at a larger or lesser height, please go to File->Reload Blockchain, download the bootstrap and restart to get on the main chain.

If you have trouble getting the Download to work in the wallet, you can get it here: http://solarcoin.org/downloads/bootstrap.zip

To manually install the bootstrap, shut down the wallet, remove blk0001.dat and txleveldb in your data directory, extract the contents of bootstrap.zip, and move the contents to your data directory.

It looks like the 10% cap is working.  If you would like to share the results of your staking, please post them here.

-Steve

EDIT: We need as many wallets staking as possible to get the blockchain moving along a 1 bpm.

EDIT: If you are mining on 1.5, please turn off your miners as you will be wasting electricity on anything past 835000.

Thanks, lfloorwalker.  That's exactly the process.  Sorry about the manual intervention. We have a fix for the download issues next release.

-Steve

lfloorwalker

solcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 03:05:04 AM

The cause of the problem in point 1. has not been named exactly.
What was pointed out as a cause did not match the results we saw, so that could not have been the cause. Reference to the POST document only raised more questions, I will now put them in one place and re-post. By expecting the answers first I don't think we are halting things. We are halting the rush to do 2, 3, 4 without having done 1.

I thought it was addressed. Post was working as intended, but the algo didn't fit well with Solarcoin, so it was modified with a hard cap. Anymore technical than that and my eyes will begin to cross.

I again restate things are being carefully watched and triple checking the logic now is a good idea.

A solution was introduced, yes (capping the interest rate), but the results we had could not have been achieved by any intended parameters of the algo. That's why some of the questions are trying to make it clear if the parameters were wrong, or the algo implementation was wrong, or the issue may be somewhere else. In any case, a solution without first figuring out the problem causing those results, is no solution at all.

I have a strong feeling that the mathematical error was caused through anomalies in the math due to the nature of switching from pow to pos. Few people were running the wallets and the software couldn't cope. It looked like a mathematical overflow error. I have some experience in programming, older machines, but the principles are the same and the same kind of errors occur when you overlook a detail like that.

That's a good layman's explanation, though there is no mathematical error in the code.  PoST was designed to transition from PoS, not PoW, so with very few people staking, those that did receive interest got the lion's share to meet the inflation target.  If all 34M (or a good portion of them) were staking, we would have reached our target of 2+% inflation in a mater of a couple days.  The interest payments still would have seemed "high" initially.  It depends on your philosophy concerning network security.  PoST was designed to incentivise staking to secure the network.  If fewer people are staking the rewards are higher.  But the goals of the SolarCoin foundation were not met by issuing such large rewards, so the cap was introduced to help meet those goals.

-Steve

+1, thanks!

lfloorwalker

solcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 03:08:08 AM

Hi all,

Thanking you,
Great work to all.
-lfloorwalker

-Steve

Thanks, lfloorwalker.  That's exactly the process.  Sorry about the manual intervention. We have a fix for the download issues next release.

-Steve

Not a problem, thanks for the tireless work.
Also, I'll keep my node operational and staking at least for the next few days while we continue building these Linux boxes to stake 24x7.

Best,
-lfloorwalker

solarcoiner

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 03:14:56 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2015, 03:42:47 AM by solarcoiner

Thank you

-Steve

Those that received interest in the first 120 blocks were those that were upgraded to 2.0.3 (which, everyone should have - I posted it before I left). There's really no issue whether we forked at 835000 or 840000.  Everyone had the same notice to upgrade.  I just neglected to make the change from 835000 to 840000.  I sincerely apologize for that.

What were your questions regarding security?  I'm here for the rest of the evening...

-Steve

Yes you did post that, however I had my Computer turned off (and I assume i'm not the only one) to save electricity since POST was scheduled to start later on....anyway i'm not going to complain because of a few 100 coins I could have gotten, that's not the point.
My questions regarding security were the following:

How secure is it to leave the client open at all times being connected to the internet? (especially for large holders)
Have you thought about implementing something along the lines of what NXT has done. They call it balance ''leasing'''
Basically you can ''lease'' your forging/staking power to another account effectively removing all the risk involved ( you don't need to have your main wallet online for staking...)
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 04:03:04 AM

Everyone that has earned interest, can you specify whether your wallet balance was:

< 10,000
< 50,000 but > 10,000
< 100,000 but > 50,000
< 200,000 but > 100,000
< 300,000 but > 200,000
< 400,000 but > 300,000
< 500,000 but > 400,000
< 750,000 but > 500,000
< 1,000,000 but > 750,000
> 1,000,000

And, were your coins older than 30 days.

This will help me determine on how stake weights are being considered.  You can PM me your answers, if you prefer.

I am most interested in the wallets under 1M coins.

-Steve

PS: Current PoST block height is 835238  bph: 4

y_virtual

Activity: 377
Merit: 251

Note to self: it's not you doing it, it's us.

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:03:48 AM

Thank you

-Steve

-Steve

Steve, apology accepted, but that is not the point. The reasons YOU had for selecting 840000 was for you to have time to prepare for the transition - fixing the issues with the block explorer, synchronizing the transition with the mining pool(s), making sure the exchanges are on track, being ready to track the transition process.
Non of that happened!
By the way, I was the one to notify everyone here, including you, that staking started at 83500, and I was NOT feeling confident at all about the situation, seeing that no one is in control, when actually controlling/overlooking the complete process is all we had to do, together.
So mistakes are mistakes, everyone does them, we learn from them. Mistakes are here to be fixed instead of making us accept them and rush the process and thus compromise quality of the system we are building.
y_virtual

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:08:29 AM

Everyone that has earned interest, can you specify whether your wallet balance was:

< 10,000
< 50,000 but > 10,000
< 100,000 but > 50,000
< 200,000 but > 100,000
< 300,000 but > 200,000
< 400,000 but > 300,000
< 500,000 but > 400,000
< 750,000 but > 500,000
> 1,000,000

This will help me determine on how stake weights are being considered.  You can PM me your answers, if you prefer.

-Steve

PS: Current PoST block height is 835238  bph: 4

Steve, can you PLEASE hold on for a moment, man!
I will tell you this now, as a miner from day one.
Current block height is 835912.
Believe me, you can NOT ignore ALL work that has been done for this project up to block 830000.
Now before you start asking questions, did you go through last 3-4 pages of posts full of questions? Are you prepared for the answers?

Here is my first quesion,
y_virtual

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:10:49 AM

Question 1:
In the release which caused the current mess, what was the maximum possible number that the code could have generated as interest rate to calculate the interest reward?
onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 04:10:59 AM

Thank you

-Steve

-Steve

Yes you did post that, however I had my Computer turned off (and I assume i'm not the only one) to save electricity since POST was scheduled to start later on....anyway i'm not going to complain because of a few 100 coins I could have gotten, that's not the point.
My questions regarding security were the following:

How secure is it to leave the client open at all times being connected to the internet? (especially for large holders)
Have you thought about implementing something along the lines of what NXT has done. They call it balance ''leasing'''
Basically you can ''lease'' your forging/staking power to another account effectively removing all the risk involved ( you don't need to have your main wallet online for staking...)

As long as your wallet is encrypted (and it has to be), leaving it open is as good as the security of ECDSA (http://www.encryptionanddecryption.com/algorithms/encryption_algorithms.html#ECDSA)

That said, there have been some altcoins that have fallen prey to trojan wallets downloaded from untrusted sources.  That's a security risk that is only overcome by due diligence.

-Steve

onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 04:16:49 AM

< 10,000
< 50,000 but > 10,000
< 100,000 but > 50,000
< 200,000 but > 100,000
< 300,000 but > 200,000
< 400,000 but > 300,000
< 500,000 but > 400,000
< 750,000 but > 500,000
> 1,000,000

This will help me determine on how stake weights are being considered.  You can PM me your answers, if you prefer.

-Steve

I will tel you this now, as a miner from day one.
Believe me, you can NOT ignore ALL work that has been done for this project up to block 830000.
Now before you start asking questions, did you go through last 3-4 pages of posts full of questions? Are you prepared for the answers?

Your height is at 835912 because you are on a PoW fork.  Any mining you are doing past 835000 is just a waste of electricity.  The PoST chain is now at height 835238.

-Steve

onsightit

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 04:18:06 AM

Question 1:
In the release which caused the current mess, what was the maximum possible number that the code could have generated as interest rate to calculate the interest reward?

One, there is no mess.

The maximum possible interest was unbounded, as designed by PoST.

-Steve

y_virtual

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:21:25 AM

< 10,000
< 50,000 but > 10,000
< 100,000 but > 50,000
< 200,000 but > 100,000
< 300,000 but > 200,000
< 400,000 but > 300,000
< 500,000 but > 400,000
< 750,000 but > 500,000
> 1,000,000

-Steve

I will tel you this now, as a miner from day one.

Your height is at 835912 because you are on a PoW fork.  Any mining you are doing past 835000 is just a waste of electricity.  The PoST chain is now at height 835238.

-Steve

And who says that?
I tell you, until there is no consensus, PoW continues. So we ARE at height 835921, and you can't do anything about it alone.
Now please answer the first question I just posted.
It is as per point 1 of Nicks action plan:

"Attention! The Fork has a serious flaw in it. Many more coins are being created from staking than intended leading to an inflationary scenario.

I am reaching out to Steve the developer to do the following.

1. diagnose the scale, scope and cause of the problem.
2. identify the best case solution.
3. Propose and get consensus from the community that the solution is desired and effective.
4. Deploy the solution ASAP."
y_virtual

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:23:23 AM

Question 1:

One, there is no mess.

The maximum possible interest was unbounded, as designed by PoST.

-Steve

unbounded is not a number.

Go check the code, the var types, the formulas, and tell us the max number that the interest rate could be set to.
Pages: « 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: