Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:29:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Emergency ANN] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 224549 times)
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 02:44:40 AM

So how about starting a wiki on the framework for recoverable and resilient systems? For instance, binlogging to an encrypted disk on a server in a different datacenter, because that would fix issues with deleted databases. And HSM devices or some equivalent for storing private keys. And daily and hourly backups to systems outside of the core network. Encrypted of course.
What other ideas do people have?
Reason there isn't a consolidated resource is because people and companies make a lot of money in the computer security sector. You can find a lot of good information piecemeal but the "how" of putting it all together has extra value from the hoarding of that knowledge.
Very true. And, the "how" often changes so rapidly that maintaining a comprehensive resource on it is not workable. What I want to see is a list of minimum standards that should be expected from businesses dealing with our money. Simply a framework of technologies that you have to stir together in the right proportions, and a list of potential consequences of omitting one or more of them.
You are describing financial regulations, for that you should deal with financially regulated companies. I personally have no wish to see BTC taken over by any government's financial framework. It's a tough problem, imo this is a great opportunity to see if open sourcing security completely would actually be effective. If the whole process is completely transparent then people can decide for themselves whether to use a BTC service.

well wouldnt the open source nature of the bitcoin protocol be somewhat similar?  the bitcoin protocol is out there for anyone to view.  why cant their be a wiki style of tested and proven security methods?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 03:49:38 AM

So how about starting a wiki on the framework for recoverable and resilient systems? For instance, binlogging to an encrypted disk on a server in a different datacenter, because that would fix issues with deleted databases. And HSM devices or some equivalent for storing private keys. And daily and hourly backups to systems outside of the core network. Encrypted of course.
What other ideas do people have?
Reason there isn't a consolidated resource is because people and companies make a lot of money in the computer security sector. You can find a lot of good information piecemeal but the "how" of putting it all together has extra value from the hoarding of that knowledge.
Very true. And, the "how" often changes so rapidly that maintaining a comprehensive resource on it is not workable. What I want to see is a list of minimum standards that should be expected from businesses dealing with our money. Simply a framework of technologies that you have to stir together in the right proportions, and a list of potential consequences of omitting one or more of them.
You are describing financial regulations, for that you should deal with financially regulated companies. I personally have no wish to see BTC taken over by any government's financial framework. It's a tough problem, imo this is a great opportunity to see if open sourcing security completely would actually be effective. If the whole process is completely transparent then people can decide for themselves whether to use a BTC service.
Not even government based, but just a wiki somewhere.

Many of the FIPS-140-2 guidelines are extremely applicable though.

If you're just talking about data storage, there are commercially available FIPS-140-2 level 3 devices that can be unlocked under Linux such as IronKey: http://www.imation.com/en-US/Mobile-Security/Mobile-Security-Products/Secure-Data/ (the S200 series is SLC, D200 is MLC, and Enterprise includes remote wipe next time its plugged in performed by the unlocking software).

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 03:51:56 AM

If you're just talking about data storage, there are commercially available FIPS-140-2 level 3 devices that can be unlocked under Linux such as IronKey: http://www.imation.com/en-US/Mobile-Security/Mobile-Security-Products/Secure-Data/ (the S200 series is SLC, D200 is MLC, and Enterprise includes remote wipe next time its plugged in performed by the unlocking software).
That's cool, I'd heard of them but didn't realize they were level 3 certified. Maybe I should get one to play with.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 07:39:39 AM

well wouldnt the open source nature of the bitcoin protocol be somewhat similar?  the bitcoin protocol is out there for anyone to view.  why cant their be a wiki style of tested and proven security methods?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_online_services

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 08:03:05 AM

From previous Hacker News thread, in which zhoutong participated.

There are no probable outcomes where you do not end up having to explain where thousands of dollars of other people's money went to some angry people.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2974770

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 09:39:42 AM

...Bitcoinica Memorial Day anyone, when we remember those brave & contagious souls who risked their all in a dodgy margin trading scheme, we recall those funds that were for ever lost, mislaid or indefinitely detained without due process, we vow never to repeat such a madness ever again, or at least not until Kronos.io opens for business next week

Who would be crazy enough to put another Satoshi into Kronos.io after what happened to the most renowned trading platform out there??? For all I care such hacks could be staged and there could be the same secret investors opening the same page under a new name preparing for the same heist once again. It's obviously untrue but are people truly so naive to think they can be successful now with the same business model- after what just happened TWICE, and with a solution for full security yet to be found???

+1 btw for handing over all claims to Zhoutong ASAP, at least the kid has some kind of a strategy to deal with refunds even though he deceived us about Bitcoinica's ownership for a long time.
repentance

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 09:55:03 AM

Did the hacker also retrieve the username using the compromised email account - you need the username in order to reset the password for cloud hosting services and you need the account number/username to reset the password for managed services.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 10:23:54 AM

Did the hacker also retrieve the username using the compromised email account - you need the username in order to reset the password for cloud hosting services and you need the account number/username to reset the password for managed services.

The hacker didn't know anything about Bitcoinica. He first requested the username, then requested a password reset. I have to say that Rackspace Cloud's security protection for customers is not very up to standard - you can re-use the password reset link after it's already used! And password changes don't have any effect on the sessions. (Usually everyone should be logged out once there's a password change, but it didn't happen at all.) I'm not blaming Rackspace here. Just a kind warning to those who wish to use them for anything serious.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 11:30:36 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2012, 11:56:22 AM by muyuu

...Bitcoinica Memorial Day anyone, when we remember those brave & contagious souls who risked their all in a dodgy margin trading scheme, we recall those funds that were for ever lost, mislaid or indefinitely detained without due process, we vow never to repeat such a madness ever again, or at least not until Kronos.io opens for business next week

Who would be crazy enough to put another Satoshi into Kronos.io after what happened to the most renowned trading platform out there??? For all I care such hacks could be staged and there could be the same secret investors opening the same page under a new name preparing for the same heist once again. It's obviously untrue but are people truly so naive to think they can be successful now with the same business model- after what just happened TWICE, and with a solution for full security yet to be found???

+1 btw for handing over all claims to Zhoutong ASAP, at least the kid has some kind of a strategy to deal with refunds even though he deceived us about Bitcoinica's ownership for a long time.

I have no idea about Kronos and its operation, but Bitcoinica was run terribly. I don't know why would anyone extrapolate what happened to Bitcoinica to any other business, while still keeping the slightest degree of trust in Bitcoinica. Just doesn't make sense.

So Bitcoinica was running on a cheap cloud server, got hacked and learnt absolutely nothing from the incident. Got hacked again, while in another cheap cloud server (in Rackspace, who also offers several more secure options including one aimed at financial security standards - yet they opted to be cheap again despite the massive running profits) and you somehow still give them more credibility than you'd give to a new service that, for starters, had a beta testing period. Which Bitcoinica didn't. Bitcoinica was running, apparently, less than 1 week after ZhouTong laid the first line of code. To top it off, they made significant changes to their core business structure in complete secrecy, and when asked about particular details they repeatedly lied. It simply doesn't get much worse or unprofessional than this.

As with any other "financial" bitcoin operation, not running under any regulations and not liable, obviously I'd put any amount of BTC in Kronos at my own risk. If you're not ready to lose them, don't put them there. This should apply to any business not offering you any sort of legal guarantee over your funds.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

As with any other "financial" bitcoin operation, not running under any regulations and not liable, obviously I'd put any amount of BTC in Kronos at my own risk. If you're not ready to lose them, don't put them there. This should apply to any business not offering you any sort of legal guarantee over your funds.

I'm not ready to lose any more funds, and so should you. I don't trust Bitcoinica more than the next man. But why should Kronos be more trustworthy? I don't see how any such business earns any trust at the moment.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 01:13:18 PM

I'm not ready to lose any more funds, and so should you. I don't trust Bitcoinica more than the next man. But why should Kronos be more trustworthy? I don't see how any such business earns any trust at the moment.

I haven't lost a cent in Bitcoinica. I will continue doing my own risk assessment and yes, most if not all investments involve risk.

You seem to be making wrong connections here, placing trust over those who have screwed you over above those who haven't. Once I see how they operate their business I will make a decision (obviously they can also lie about this, you have to factor everything).

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
disclaimer201
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 02:00:50 PM

I haven't lost a cent in Bitcoinica. I will continue doing my own risk assessment and yes, most if not all investments involve risk.

You seem to be making wrong connections here, placing trust over those who have screwed you over above those who haven't. Once I see how they operate their business I will make a decision (obviously they can also lie about this, you have to factor everything).

Well good luck then, it's never too late to lose your money at some new Bitcoinica clone. Waiting to see how they operate won't make their service any more secure. I'm sure you've found out their identities before you trust them, say from their "who we are" page - but wait, there isn't one.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 02:11:33 PM

Well good luck then, it's never too late to lose your money at some new Bitcoinica clone. Waiting to see how they operate won't make their service any more secure. I'm sure you've found out their identities before you trust them, say from their "who we are" page - but wait, there isn't one.

You can find them here in the forums. Information upon which I think I will keep my BTC at bay  Grin

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 06:17:37 PM

No backups.  I guess this explains why the whole process of officially acknowledging the hack (via the bitcoinica web site) and the claims process has been so slow.
Herodes

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 09:11:53 PM

No database backups. Sorry for avoiding the question.

Oh dear, bitomat.pl all over again.

I sincerely hope that the community will learn from this.

And good luck in sorting out this mess.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 02:19:46 AM

Is this relative/relevant?

http://boingboing.net/2011/06/08/ocean-bank-lost-3000.html
Ocean Bank, which allowed hackers to withdraw more than $300,000 from a customer's account, won't have to cover the loss. A Maine judge said its account security was "not optimal," but ultimately ruled for it because hackers obtained account credentials using malicious software installed on the customer's computers. Ocean asserted that its due diligence was covered by verifying a password.
repentance

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 02:52:00 AM

Ocean Bank, which allowed hackers to withdraw more than $300,000 from a customer's account, won't have to cover the loss. A Maine judge said its account security was "not optimal," but ultimately ruled for it because hackers obtained account credentials using malicious software installed on the customer's computers. Ocean asserted that its due diligence was covered by verifying a password.

Likely completely irrelevant as it's an application of US state law.  It "might" have some relevance if Bitcoinica tried to sue Rackspace but international lawsuits are a costly pain in the ass.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 03:06:01 AM

Likely completely irrelevant as it's an application of US state law.  It "might" have some relevance if Bitcoinica tried to sue Rackspace but international lawsuits are a costly pain in the ass.

They would more likely better use some arbitration platform like judge.me in such a case.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 03:59:01 AM

Haven't been following this.  Is it clear yet, you know, that anyone will get any coins back or not?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:45:50 AM

No backups.  I guess this explains why the whole process of officially acknowledging the hack (via the bitcoinica web site) and the claims process has been so slow.

Missed this earlier.  So it's settled then?  Nobody is getting anything back.  Next.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: