Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:39:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 470 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping  (Read 2115842 times)
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 06:27:48 PM

http://factomstatus.com/

Maintenance.  It is back up now.

M2 ETA?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
tempus
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 07:14:00 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2016, 07:32:25 PM by tempus

Tiana Laurence at the Blockchain & Bitcoin Africa Conference 3rd & 4th March 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBnZoZtkoa8

She not just explains Factom in general but also shows some of the Software that will be used for mortgages for example. In the end she answers questions. So it's very interesting!

Edit: Entertaining and very promising is this part at the end:

"Nothing is happening" - "So much is happening, we just can't talk about it and you're such a jerk and I know who you are!" *thumbup* Cheesy
https://youtu.be/OBnZoZtkoa8?t=37m11s
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2016, 10:14:43 PM

Hey Everyone, Heads Up!

Quote from: Michael del Castillo
Libertarian Party of Texas to Store Election Results On Three Blockchains

The Libertarian Party of Texas will today log the results of a wide range of ballot initiatives on three separate blockchains, the most recent in a line of projects integrating the technology into the voting process.

Results of everything from ballot initiatives proposed on the spot to the selection of the state’s US presidential electors will be logged on the blockchains in what a party leader says is a step toward politicians being held accountable to voters in a new way.

John Wilford, treasurer of the Libertarian Party of Texas, told CoinDesk:

"The idea is that after the balloting is collected, the records will be uploaded to the blockchain for future generations and accountability."

At the two-day event, which kicks off today in San Antonio, Texas, votes by 250 delegates and 100 alternatives on all of the state’s nominations will be logged on the bitcoin blockchain, a private blockchain created by Libertarian Party partner Blockchain Technologies Corporation (BTC), as well as the Florincoin blockchain.

"Every ballot is going to be logged in Florincoin," said Nick Spanos, founder of BTC. "We also hash all that out and put it on the bitcoin blockchain. But on the Florincoin, you can read every single ballot."

Spanos said he was attracted to Florincoin for the project because of its metadata limit of 528 bytes, compared to bitcoin’s 80 bytes. The extra space makes it perfect for storing ballot information, he said.

Joseph Fiscella, who joined Florincoin after its June 2013 debut, told CoinDesk:

"Florincoin was purposely created for data storage so developers will always support the data, while other blockchains were made for value exchanges."

On the convention floor

To make the idea of using a blockchain less daunting to the convention attendees, paper ballots will be used to actually mark the votes. Each ballot will then be digitally uploaded using two scanners with a third back-up using BTC’s patent-pending technology.

Published in January of this year, the patent application for the voting machine describes how the device uses private keys to digitally sign voting data and broadcast the results along with a public key to the distributed network. The signed voting data is then stored with its public key on a blockchain database managed by the voting machines.

Decided at the three-day conference will be Texas’s Libertarian officers including chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, and treasurer. Delegates to the national convention, and presidential electors who will help determine the national party’s presidential nominee, will also be voted on.

The national candidate will be formally selected at the Libertarian party national convention in Orlando, Florida, which runs from 27th May to 30th May.

Concern over voter fraud

While the Libertarian party’s ballots are still on paper, BTC’s Spanos, who is also the co-founder of the Bitcoin Center in New York City, said an indelible method for logging the votes on a blockchain has the potential to change voter perceptions about the frequency of voter fraud.

"In an election everybody has to feel confident. Especially the losing candidates," said Spanos. "This is a way to make sure that happens."

While the actual frequency of voter fraud is still a hotly contested issue, the perception of voter fraud is very real. In 2012, Loyola law professor Justin Levitt, who is currently on leave to work at the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, estimated that over the previous twelve years, the fraud rate was 0.000002%.

That percentage came from nine instances of specific allegations of voter fraud during a time when approximately 400 million people voted. But according to a 2014 study by Marquette University, 39 percent of voters from a Wisconsin state-wide poll believed that voter fraud affected “a few thousand votes" each election.

Putting on the pressure

To help battle that perception, a batch of blockchain applications to voter technology have cropped up around the world. California-based BitCongress uses blockchain tech for voting, legislating and budgeting. In Virginia, Follow My Vote takes BTC’s process a step further by integrating what it describes as cryptographically secure ID verification to a online voting process.

Overseas, Danish political party, Liberal Alliance, and Australia’s newly formed Flux Party have both already expressed interest in using blockchain-based voting systems.

Back in Texas, the first day of the three-day convention is scheduled to end this evening with a sold-out Presidential Debate between five invited candidates: New Mexico Governor, Gary Johnson, anesthesiologist, Marc Feldman, McAfee Security founder John McAfee, Libertarian academic Austin Petersen, and pastor Shawna Sterling.

In true free-market fashion the party invited its US Presidential candidate speakers based on a straw-poll that literally let people vote with their dollars. Johnson won the straw-poll with $2,276.07 worth of votes cast compared to Sterling, who won the final position with $703.49 worth of votes.

While Spanos and his team will be studying the process of logging votes on the three blockchains to keep an eye out for ways to increase user trust in the technology, the treasurer of the Libertarian Party of Texas said he is watching for something else.

In conversation with CoinDesk, Wilford said he hopes the demonstration inspires attendees to put pressure on party leaders at the national level to take similar steps.

Wilford said:

"We’re supportive of any free market technology of which bitcoin definitely counts. It’s the next step of a long process."

http://www.coindesk.com/libertarian-party-texas-logs-votes-presidential-electors-blockchain/

"Concern About Vote Fraud" Hmmm...lemme think...what crypto solution has a ready-to-go infrastructure to eliminate vote fraud?  Grin

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

tempus
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 03:17:52 AM

Here is a very interesting talk with Paul Snow, more like an AMA with very good questions and very open answers:

#Blocktalk - CoinFest 2016
https://youtu.be/ucZDDh2ljBw?t=43m36s

In the beginning he explains Factom more in general, but then he also talks about use cases, land titles, medical records, the Milestones, testings, the price of Factoids etc.

For those who are new to Factom, trying to understand what it's about and want a good explanation and overview it's a perfect introduction. For those who already know a lot about Factom it can be still/also very interesting. In my eyes it's one of the most interesting "interviews" (really more like an AMA).
MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 04:55:40 AM

Hey Everyone, Heads Up!

http://www.coindesk.com/libertarian-party-texas-logs-votes-presidential-electors-blockchain/

"Concern About Vote Fraud" Hmmm...lemme think...what crypto solution has a ready-to-go infrastructure to eliminate vote fraud?  Grin

This looks very interesting. Strange they would use Florincoin though, but good exposure for crypto. Is Florin PoW or PoS?
CocoLibre

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 04:53:30 PM

Here is a very interesting talk with Paul Snow, more like an AMA with very good questions and very open answers:

#Blocktalk - CoinFest 2016
https://youtu.be/ucZDDh2ljBw?t=43m36s

In the beginning he explains Factom more in general, but then he also talks about use cases, land titles, medical records, the Milestones, testings, the price of Factoids etc.

For those who are new to Factom, trying to understand what it's about and want a good explanation and overview it's a perfect introduction. For those who already know a lot about Factom it can be still/also very interesting. In my eyes it's one of the most interesting "interviews" (really more like an AMA).

I agree, probably one of the most informative interviews so far and sounds like milestone 2 is in final stages of quality assurance. I'm looking to grab some cheap FCT off this bottom, not sure how long this will be trading between $1-2 when some of the undisclosed deals get press.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2016, 09:24:23 PM

Hey Everyone, Heads Up!

"Concern About Vote Fraud" Hmmm...lemme think...what crypto solution has a ready-to-go infrastructure to eliminate vote fraud?  Grin

This looks very interesting. Strange they would use Florincoin though, but good exposure for crypto. Is Florin PoW or PoS?

Florin is PoW; sCrypt.

And yes, it is very interesting! Just think of what Factom could do to extinguish vote fraud. You walk into the voting booth with a valid ID and get a numbered ballot that contains a hash of your voter info (say, your full name and exact address.) Once the ballot is issued, that hash is immediately entered into the blockchain after spending an entry credit. At this point, the blockchain has permanently recorded that a ballot for you has been issued. If you try to get a second ballot later, the hash-matching widget will catch it.

Then, you take your ballot and vote. After marking it, you slip it into a ballot box that's topped by an OCR scanner with a private viewport like the one used to test your peripheral vision at driving-test outlets. You're shown your choice in large text like "You voted for JOE BLOGGS of the PURPLE Party." If that's okay, you hit a "Confirm" button on the side of the OCR machine and the ballot goes into the box. If not (eg., if you spoiled it), you have to see the poll attendant who will destroy (shred) your ballot and print you up a new one with the same hash.

Once your ballot is approved by you and goes into the ballot box, a second hash comprised of a hashed string, of the hash of your ID concatenated with "Votes-Joe-Bloggs-Purple-Party", goes into the blockchain as well. It's paid for by another entry credit. You've voted! At that point there's a permanent record of your ballot and your choice permanently inscribed in the blockchain. So if there are any ballot-box shenanigans or mistakes, they will be spotted by the hash not matching.

[NOTE: My sketchy sketch above is based upon the Canadian electoral system as I saw it when I worked as a Poll Clerk last year.]

As a practical matter, a Factom-powered vote-integrity system could be, ah, uncontroversially sold as a "quality-control metrics generator tool" for the present system. We're just checkin' up on inevitable human or machine error, ya see. Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

mfqrs3

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2016, 10:52:17 PM

Hah, this dumping whale hasn't tired yet Smiley
crazyivan
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 05:42:09 AM

Everything s red a good trader knows what happens after this. So, I suggest you buy whatever you plan to buy.

b1007

Activity: 404

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 10:56:48 AM

when is milestone 2 coming?  Roll Eyes

I like to speculate
mfqrs3

Activity: 419

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 11:14:58 AM

Wow, nice dump. I hope devs are happy with the price before M2.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 11:47:07 AM

Factum with all alts are bleeding right now. I have gone like 50% down overnight. Don't know what wave is making this, i think all are cashing to put money in bitcoin but also there is no much movement in bitcoin price.
Factum alone is -25% overnight.  Angry Angry
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 12:21:01 PM

Factum with all alts are bleeding right now. I have gone like 50% down overnight. Don't know what wave is making this, i think all are cashing to put money in bitcoin but also there is no much movement in bitcoin price.
Factum alone is -25% overnight.  Angry Angry

Paul Snow has a theory that could be correct. He said in the last interview (I linked it above), that Crypto is bleeding most likely because of tax-bills in April - that many would have to liquidate holdings to pay taxes and that it's a repeating pattern since some years. I don't live in the USA, but asked a friend who lives there and he confirmed that. If I recall it right, he said April 15th is deadline regarding taxes.

So... if that should be true and it looks as if, it's time to buy now. No doubt that it will recover. Nearly at the bottom we had before the last pump and (hopefully) right before Milestone 2.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 12:48:41 PM

~snip~

that Crypto is bleeding most likely because of tax-bills in April - that many would have to liquidate holdings to pay taxes and that it's a repeating pattern since some years. I don't live in the USA, but asked a friend who lives there and he confirmed that. If I recall it right, he said April 15th is deadline regarding taxes.

This seems correct and hope this one is correct threory and reason behind the recent dump in all altcoin. I am holding factom from when the price was 0.005BTC per coin hoping it will get pumped to 0.007BTC in short term like it have done recently at that time. Angry
tempus
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 01:04:30 PM

~snip~

that Crypto is bleeding most likely because of tax-bills in April - that many would have to liquidate holdings to pay taxes and that it's a repeating pattern since some years. I don't live in the USA, but asked a friend who lives there and he confirmed that. If I recall it right, he said April 15th is deadline regarding taxes.

This seems correct and hope this one is correct threory and reason behind the recent dump in all altcoin. I am holding factom from when the price was 0.005BTC per coin hoping it will get pumped to 0.007BTC in short term like it have done recently at that time. Angry

Yeah, can be frustrating. But I'm really sure that you'll be glad about buying FCT generally in some months, maybe just weeks. In my eyes it's the only project that's an opportunity like Bitcoin was in it's early time - but even better: more predictable and safe than BTC to the time when it was somewhere at a few Dollar. 
crazyivan
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 03:39:56 PM

~snip~

How can this be correct? Wouldn't BTC drop in price as well? Why only alts?

locohammerhead

Activity: 530

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 03:44:33 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2016, 06:52:50 PM by locohammerhead

Need some assistance.  

I had to reboot my PC and perform some system maintenance, now my FCT balance is showing 0 and no transactions are listed.  I had 60 FCT in my wallet before I shut the wallet down and rebooted my system.  This didn't happen to any other altcoins I have.  I made no changes to the FCT wallet before this system maintenance either.  Any suggestions?  
Factomd looks to be synching the chain block 38141 as of writing this but when I run the wallet app it shows 0.

*Update*

Fixed the issue, it was the Windows sync problem that happens from time to time.  Once it actually updated the chain it worked.

FACTOM (OP)

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2016, 04:36:25 PM

Need some assistance.  

I had to reboot my PC and perform some system maintenance, now my FCT balance is showing 0 and no transactions are listed.  I had 60 FCT in my wallet before I shut the wallet down and rebooted my system.  This didn't happen to any other altcoins I have.  I made no changes to the FCT wallet before this system maintenance either.  Any suggestions?  
Factomd looks to be synching the chain block 38141 as of writing this but when I run the wallet app it shows 0.

Email hello@factom.com for support.
BrianDeery

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 04:54:37 PM

Need some assistance.  

Is the wallet showing zero balance for the expected address, or is it not displaying the address at all?

If you know the addresses, check the balance on http://beta.explorer.factom.org/ or http://explorer.factom.org/

locohammerhead

Activity: 530

View Profile
April 10, 2016, 06:01:54 PM

Need some assistance.  

Is the wallet showing zero balance for the expected address, or is it not displaying the address at all?

If you know the addresses, check the balance on http://beta.explorer.factom.org/ or http://explorer.factom.org/

The address is correct and the BE shows the balance is correct as well.  I did a get height and found that the chain didn't sync at all.  The windows sync issue again it seems.  Will milestone 2 fix this problem?

Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... 470 »
  Print  

Jump to: