Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:28:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 268 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][VTR] vTorrent - Share with freedom | 2FA | HD | @Bittrex  (Read 436037 times)
Cryptoadvice_82

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2016, 09:14:11 AM

Development is going on...new wallet version appears in block explorer today!

vTorrent-Core:0.8.2.1

vTorrent will be in top 10 soon, remember than is the only one altcoin with torrent implementation, and this is a huge market.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|    The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency  
  WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄████▄▄  
█▄          ██████████▀
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
[
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 01:00:42 PM

Bump.

Just for the guy whose referring to 'these coins'.  

I'd actually like to see some of these other coins that are like vTorrent. No wait, it's unique  Tongue
sanas

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 02:27:21 PM

Same old coins pump time to time on Bittrex

you know almost all coins with 'foundation' shit is probably a scam.

I try not to go into this type of coin. Only a few coins have a good future (about 20-30).

I suggest you do more research on VTR, the user base it can tap into is gigantic.

Maybe yes, I do not want to argue with you, I just expressed my opinion on the basis of a small superficial study.

.cashaa....█████
█╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

█╬██

█████
██████
██╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬██

██████
█████
██╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬█

█████
Testudoguy

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 03:01:42 PM

I try not to go into this type of coin. Only a few coins have a good future (about 20-30).

I suggest you do more research on VTR, the user base it can tap into is gigantic.

Maybe yes, I do not want to argue with you, I just expressed my opinion on the basis of a small superficial study.

Is there any slack invite for vtorrent?
sanas

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 05:15:47 PM

Is there any slack invite for vtorrent?

I don't see any information about slack group Undecided

.cashaa....█████
█╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

█╬██

█████
██████
██╬██
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬██

██████
█████
██╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█
█╬█

█╬█

██╬█

█████
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 06:32:07 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2016, 06:43:48 PM by coins101

Slack poses lots of security risks from IP leaks to mass monitoring. They also changed their terms of service recently. It's basically a US government data collection channel now and the person who creates the channel is responsible for what the members of that channel get up to.

For secure communications, you can use the chat features of vTorrent. Group chat within the client might be available, but I haven't checked it out.

For instance, if people start sharing torrent links in Slack the devs can be held responsible if they set-up the slack channel. At the moment, vTorrent is a client that can be used by anyone. Some might want to use it for illegally sharing torrents. The devs can't control that, even if they provide a mechanism to encourage people to pay rights holders for content. 

Remember, some of these guys are nutters and will try to hold anyone responsible for anything:

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-companies-want-to-hold-search-engines-liable-for-piracy-161106/
Testudoguy

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 08:46:50 PM

Slack poses lots of security risks from IP leaks to mass monitoring. They also changed their terms of service recently. It's basically a US government data collection channel now and the person who creates the channel is responsible for what the members of that channel get up to.

For secure communications, you can use the chat features of vTorrent. Group chat within the client might be available, but I haven't checked it out.

For instance, if people start sharing torrent links in Slack the devs can be held responsible if they set-up the slack channel. At the moment, vTorrent is a client that can be used by anyone. Some might want to use it for illegally sharing torrents. The devs can't control that, even if they provide a mechanism to encourage people to pay rights holders for content. 

Remember, some of these guys are nutters and will try to hold anyone responsible for anything:

https://torrentfreak.com/movie-companies-want-to-hold-search-engines-liable-for-piracy-161106/

So will Vtorrent be used for pirated copies or legal content?
Should we not look into more legal way. It will
Have more positive market. Ileggal downloads
Will always be persecuted.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2016, 09:06:28 PM

So will Vtorrent be used for pirated copies or legal content?
Should we not look into more legal way. It will
Have more positive market. Ileggal downloads
Will always be persecuted.

Let's wait and see.

...If anybody have any suggestions or ideas about how we should reward the seeders, please PM me or reply in thread.

I am a particular fan of creating a royalty payments channel:

This way, seeders can set the fees they pass on to rights holders. Rights holders can declare to the market what percentages they are prepared to accept, and again this can change over time depending on the rights holder.

For example, on first release, the rights holder might want to set the seeding price and the royalty percentage they are prepared to accept. As content becomes stale, the price might move to a market based model with the rights holder accepting less in terms of percentage share.

Lets say the rights holder is a software company that releases their software but wants to charge $500. They might want to keep 90% of that and offer 10% to seeders. This is like an affiliates program.

Or, lets say the rights holder is a movie company. They might to release James Bond xyz to seeders to help distribute their film. They might want to charge $5 per stream, and only want to keep 20% for themselves to encourage the market not to pirate the movie.

It would be interesting to have a verified rights holder seeder which shares a percentage with all other seeders. This means rights holders can be the source seeder, but others get a share for being distributors. ISP's would love it if large movie files were distributed on local area networks.

With a rights percentage share option, vTorrent would find itself being listed on sites like download.com and promoted by movie companies.

If you have any ideas on payments / incentives models, I'm sure the devs will be open to listening to views. It's still not too late to make changes or make tweaks to whatever they are planning.
Pickleninja

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 04:34:18 AM

I say give an originators fee to give an incentive for people adding new content, and then let others charge what they want. Economics will bring the level down to an agreed rate.

DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2016, 05:48:00 AM

for anonymous filesharing you could always check out https://www.demonsaw.com/ too

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 10:48:58 AM

For all those sending me PM's, thanks. A brief recap of where we seem to be:

* What is the release schedule?

The next vTorrent release dates are:

Scheduled hard-fork:
-Posv2 at Block 1200000 (roughly mid Dec)
-Posv3 at Block 1300000 (roughly Feb 2017)

* When is torrent functionality coming?

This thread is where the devs say to expect the BitTorrent features:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889481.msg16427344#msg16427344

Quote from: vTorrent devs
When Bittorrent part of vTorrent is reveal in a few release from now...

This is where the devs say that the torrent functionality is built and working:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889481.msg13910600#msg13910600

currently uploading and seed ratio to generation of TOKEN (which is interchangeable to VTR in client) by seeding algorithm is already implemented

*What limitations are there on the file sizes?

See here for some insight into what the devs are proposing for the BitTorrent integration, including some initial insight into incentives for seeding:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889481.msg16469171#msg16469171

There is actually no theoretical limit for the bandwidth or file size that our network can handle at any given moment.

* What's the competition?

JoyStream & MegaUpload 2.0

But consider that the shareholders of JoyStream and MegaUpload 2.0 will benefit from these services. With vTorrent, you can benefit from the popularity of a coin with integration with BitTorrent.

You can also influence development. Just post features that you want to see.

BitTorrent integration is really hard to do, which is why there aren't any projects doing it, apart from vTorrent and JoyStream

JoyStream and MegaUpload 2.0 projects are also not yet live.

* Is vTorrent open source?

Yes, but not yet 100% released.

The devs have said that there are plenty of people waiting to clone vTorrent. So they are going to wait until the main features are released before going open source:

As of now, only vTorrent Core is open sourced, and the reason we need to keep our full client (2FA included) closed source is to prevent other dev to clone our work and claim it as their own (or falsely claim as their project being one of the first to implement those features).

When Bittorrent part of vTorrent is reveal in a few release from now, hopefully our project will then be wildly known in crypto-currency space and the decision to open sourced other part of our project will then be considered again.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889481.msg16427344#msg16427344
ik_do

Activity: 522

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 10:54:52 AM

The bottom line for the discussion of legal vs illegal content is that BitTorrent is just a distribution method for files. It is impossible to control if people use it for good or bad purposes and it is impossible to effectively police it in any way besides going after trackers and websites that list torrent files.

First, the argument was about whether it was ok to host illegal files.
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to facilitate P2P networking via centralized servers (i.e. Kazaa)
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to host torrent files if the content was entirely hosted by external parties
Then the argument was about whether it was ok to have magnet links (i.e. lines of text) on websites that 100% hosted no actual content.

IMHO, vTorrent is merely a platform that incentivizes users of BitTorrent. That's it. All questions and discussion about legal vs illegal don't matter because BitTorrent itself is a separate project.

Especially interesting is this link: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/govt-realized-bitcoin-not-shut-says-u-s-federal-prosecutor/

In an almost hour long interview, Kathryn Haun, Assistant Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice in San Francisco and lecturer on digital currencies at Stanford Law School, who prosecuted her own colleagues, Shaun Bridges, a former Secret Services agent and Carl Mark Force, a DEA agent, for public corruption in an investigation arising from Silk Road, the infamous drug bazaar shut down in 2013, stated that  the reason United States government did not shut down bitcoin is because they “recognize you can’t shut down bitcoin.”

“There is simply no way” – Haun said, “with these technologies once the genie is out of the bottle you can’t put it back in…but even if we could hold the developers of these technologies accountable,” the federal prosecutor continued, that would be “counter to the legal system.”

Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 12:14:55 PM

..Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.

The vTorrent genie is not yet out of the bottle.

Anyone can download and use the vTorrent client. Anyone will be able to seed and set the seeding price.

Why don't movie houses download the vTorrent client and seed their own material? That way it's 100% legal, they set the price and everyone is happy.

If I'm paying to access content, it wouldn't make any difference to me if Disney direct were the distributors. Same goes for music files.

This is where I think creating an originator seed priority payment referral mechanism works.

Just to recap my thoughts on that.

If I download software which is open source, I can sell it on eBay and I can set my price. The trouble is the person I sell it to might also want to sell it. Within a few weeks there could be hundreds of sellers and the price will go down to near zero as people will be happy to make a little money on postage costs.

So I have no incentive to spend time and effort finding good content to sell. I'm just working for others.

Protect my initial time and effort investment by some mechanism and I'm a happy little seeder, as an individual or as Sony, Time Warner, Fox, Dreamworks, etc.

You can even give rights holders a mechanism to sell direct to vTorrent customers. Give them an option to 'buy' titles and as long at the title is stored in a certain folder, the user can watch / listen again and again without having to keep paying for bandwidth.   This is how Amazon, iTunes, etc work anyway.

vTorrent could give rights holders a direct channel to customers, without the hassle of the infrastructure so they can undercut their current distribution channels while still making more profits.
ik_do

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 12:34:20 PM

..Simply put that the genie came out of the bottle when BitTorrent itself became popular. Discussion of legal vs illegal is pointless. Though, it's still worth discussing using the technology as a paid distribution channel.

The vTorrent genie is not yet out of the bottle.

Anyone can download and use the vTorrent client. Anyone will be able to seed and set the seeding price.

Why don't movie houses download the vTorrent client and seed their own material? That way it's 100% legal, they set the price and everyone is happy.

If I'm paying to access content, it wouldn't make any difference to me if Disney direct were the distributors. Same goes for music files.

This is where I think creating an originator seed priority payment referral mechanism works.

Just to recap my thoughts on that.

If I download software which is open source, I can sell it on eBay and I can set my price. The trouble is the person I sell it to might also want to sell it. Within a few weeks there could be hundreds of sellers and the price will go down to near zero as people will be happy to make a little money on postage costs.

So I have no incentive to spend time and effort finding good content to sell. I'm just working for others.

Protect my initial time and effort investment by some mechanism and I'm a happy little seeder, as an individual or as Sony, Time Warner, Fox, Dreamworks, etc.

You can even give rights holders a mechanism to sell direct to vTorrent customers. Give them an option to 'buy' titles and as long at the title is stored in a certain folder, the user can watch / listen again and again without having to keep paying for bandwidth.   This is how Amazon, iTunes, etc work anyway.

vTorrent could give rights holders a direct channel to customers, without the hassle of the infrastructure so they can undercut their current distribution channels while still making more profits.

I don't disagree with providing options for rights-holders, all I was saying that it is completely hopeless to try and claim it will be possible to stop "illegal" distribution of files.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 12:38:12 PM

I don't disagree with providing options for rights-holders, all I was saying that it is completely hopeless to try and claim it will be possible to stop "illegal" distribution of files.

That's true enough. Its also the reason why rights holders go after the distribution channels.

Trouble is, with every attack they force people to innovate and at some point they will find a situation where they can't control anything. Might as well switch tactics and try to influence development.
ik_do

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 01:42:50 PM

That's true enough. Its also the reason why rights holders go after the distribution channels.

Trouble is, with every attack they force people to innovate and at some point they will find a situation where they can't control anything. Might as well switch tactics and try to influence development.

With something like VTR on the table they have effectively lost control. With every evolution of the copyright argument on the internet, they have left themselves with less and less control.

VTR, if successful, can easily present a solution which cannot be controlled. This also stands true for other projects promising similar ideas.

The main point in all of this is that it cannot possibly be seen that having anything to do with vTorrent (either via running the client, holding coins or etc) can be construed as being "illegal" otherwise the people that created BitTorrent itself would have been arrested. It's just a program. The end-user is the person who decides how to use the software.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 02:23:49 PM

*if when

You have a typo in there.
ik_do

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 02:47:40 PM

*if when

You have a typo in there.

(:
slugmandrew

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

Everything's a bubble, idiot

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 09:44:17 PM

Interesting project, but finding it hard to get technical information...

1) How do I add the nodes in the OP so that I get more than 1 connection to the network?

I tried typing:

addnode=31.220.49.95:32524
addnode=31.220.49.178:42524
addnode=108.61.242.254
addnode=108.35.173.204
addnode=85.24.143.44
addnode=104.236.20.112
addnode=212.204.164.23
addnode=82.130.210.236
addnode=24.37.155.182
addnode=192.99.13.67
addnode=25.169.124.62
addnode=46.165.209.144
addnode=37.187.144.36
addnode=104.236.43.108

in the console but not sure it worked

2) Where can I mine VTR (pools) and what miner to use, and how does this interact with PoS?

3) Is there a website or anywhere with all this on? (tor site perhaps?)

Thanks!

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 10:49:13 PM

Can anyone put a list of peers here with instructions on how to add them. still having trouble with wallet and I deleted the old folder. maybe I just need more then the 2 connections im getting

An old post, read it carefully:

Windows wallet no active connections as of 23 Dec. It worked OK since launch. Any ideas?

Please try to add nodes from the first post.

The new beta client will have all of those nodes hard coded and should requires no further action from users.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your support.
I've made a txt file and saved with nodes. Does it need a specific name and place to go as Its still not working. Thanks.

Put all the nodes in text file and save it as 'vTorrent.conf' then move/copy it according to your operating system

For Windows:

The file AppData folder is hidden by default so make sure to enable viewing hidden files.

Code:
Windows drive (C:) -> Users -> $YOURUSERNAME -> AppData -> Roaming -> vTorrent

For Mac:

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/vTorrent/

OR

Code:
/Users/$YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/vTorrent/

For Linux:

Code:
~/.vTorrent/

Please let me know if you still have any problem after following this procedures,

Thank you for your support.

Nodes from front page (always use the front page OP):
Code:
addnode=31.220.49.95:32524
addnode=31.220.49.178:42524
addnode=108.61.242.254
addnode=108.35.173.204
addnode=85.24.143.44
addnode=104.236.20.112
addnode=212.204.164.23
addnode=82.130.210.236
addnode=24.37.155.182
addnode=192.99.13.67
addnode=25.169.124.62
addnode=46.165.209.144
addnode=37.187.144.36
addnode=104.236.43.108

1. Notepad
2. place these nodes in notepad
3. save the notepad file as vtorrent.conf
4. save the file in the directory where your vtorrent wallet is located (see dev instructions above)
5. careful not to save your tile as vtorrent.conf.txt (check when you are saving in notepad that you select 'All files' if you're on windows.

Actually, if more people were staking, I think the chain would be zinging along.

bump for query above

get the latest client here

https://github.com/vtorrent/vTorrent-Client/releases/0.8.1.1

additional release notes, here https://github.com/vtorrent/vTorrent-Client/releases/0.8.1
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 268 »
  Print  

Jump to: