Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:08:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My jaw is still on the floor.  (Read 35660 times)
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 03:10:34 PM

As much as I'd love to know who satoshi is I kinda hope he's never found. I like the mystery behind him and bitcoin and he or they would be hassled to death by the media and beggars etc.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nsfsj

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 12:51:42 PM

Nick Szabo is real. I will not post any links, but if you dig, you will find hard evidence that he is. Is he Satshi? Very likely. Does it matter? No.
madmax6688

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 01:52:42 PM

^ I hope that he never is linked to as the real Satoshi.

I hope satoshi remains anonymous.
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 01:47:30 AM

^ I hope that he never is linked to as the real Satoshi.

I hope satoshi remains anonymous.

He should tell us who he is on his death-bead, then say " I'm going to redistribute that unmoved million BTCs to the poor and the needy via one of my decibels" 

freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 01:49:06 PM

Zooko was also unemployed from 2007(the year Nakamoto said he started working on Bitcoin) and stayed that way until Nakamoto disappeared. Zooko was also posting about Bitcoin 23 days after it was put online.(trying to get people in different circles to check it out)

http://originalcontroltheory.tumblr.com/

Very insightful TippingPoint.
You may want to look at this.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090131115053/http://bitcoin.org/
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:40:58 PM

Zooko was also unemployed from 2007(the year Nakamoto said he started working on Bitcoin) and stayed that way until Nakamoto disappeared. Zooko was also posting about Bitcoin 23 days after it was put online.(trying to get people in different circles to check it out)

So some people organized themselves, launched a testnet, then the live net with a shaky network of CPU miners that dwindled in the summer of 2009. However, in autumn it picked up really fast and people got interested. This forum was created, so let's look at what happened 5 years ago:

UID - alias - rank - activity - details
1 - admin - disabled - 7 - wiped and disabled for security reasons
2 - ###
3 - ###
4 - sirius - staff - 429
5 - ###
6 - ###
7 - ###
8 - ###
9 - ###?
10 - Xunie - full - 132
11 - madhatter - new - 1
12 - nanaimogold - sr - 406
13 - SmokeTooMuch - hero - 862
14 - The Madhatter - hero - 626
15 - ###
16 - xuO4k04c6Ng - new - 1
17 - The Doctor - new - 1

Then 2010 came around. thermos has user number 35, there are still few people registering every month. I registered when the forum was 2 years old, after about 1 year of dicking around because people were trying to mine on Arduinos or something.

As you can see, the first 8 users except sirius were either very naughty (completely wiped before mod rules were made) or requested their accounts to be deleted for various reasons. Unfortunately you can't see these profiles, they are not indexed outside the site due to permission restrictions.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:49:35 PM

Today, Satoshi's true identity has become a mystery.

Interesting choice of words.  It could just be that, a choice of words.  But if taken literally, it implies it wasn't always a mystery, at least not to Hal.

I'd be amazed if he didn't know exactly who Satoshi was (or was Satoshi or one of the group himself).
I don't see how hal could think that he knew satoshi's identity and then for some reason, several years later not know it (or put it into question).

I don't think the person who posted on the message boards is the same person as satoshi, the concept of bitcoin and the bitcoin protocol would have not taken that long to build and create

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

the concept of bitcoin and the bitcoin protocol would have not taken that long to build and create

Are you serious about that?  The concept took at least 15 years just from Chaum's original idea (not counting everything that led up to that).  The idea is one thing, and actually implementing it in such a way that there were no fatal flaws in the original implementation is a hell of an accomplishment and would require an extraordinary level of knowledge of basically everything involved, every potential vulnerability, and then, incredible attention to detail.

There is nothing obvious about Bitcoin or how to implement it.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:26:52 PM

Naw, it appeared overnight man, it's proof of ALIENS man, *puff* *pass*

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:10:08 PM

Not sure what you're saying, but I'm just pointing out that it is not something any idiot could put together given the idea.
junglist.massive

Activity: 759

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:16:23 PM

We're all Satoshi.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 01:59:43 AM

Not sure what you're saying, but I'm just pointing out that it is not something any idiot could put together given the idea.

Just a rip on the school of "thought" that says transistors and microchips are recovered alien tech because they came out of nowhere, when like bitcoin there was a long enough human history of development in the field. Just what gets said by dumb people about things they find incomprehensible.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 02:03:52 AM

Just a rip on the school of "thought" that says transistors .... recovered alien tech because they came out of nowhere
LOLWUT?

You mean this big freaking thing came out of nowhere 50 years after engineers studied electrical properties of many materials?

Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:40:31 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 12:11:01 AM by Billbags

So some people organized themselves, launched a testnet, then the live net with a shaky network of CPU miners that dwindled in the summer of 2009. However, in autumn it picked up really fast and people got interested. This forum was created, so let's look at what happened 5 years ago:

2 - ###
3 - ###
4 - sirius - staff - 429
5 - ###
6 - ###
7 - ###
8 - ###
9 - ###?
10 - Xunie - full - 132
11 - madhatter - new - 1
15 - ###

Then 2010 came around. thermos has user number 35, there are still few people registering every month. I registered when the forum was 2 years old, after about 1 year of dicking around because people were trying to mine on Arduinos or something.

As you can see, the first 8 users except sirius were either very naughty (completely wiped before mod rules were made) or requested their accounts to be deleted for various reasons. Unfortunately you can't see these profiles, they are not indexed outside the site due to permission restrictions.

http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2008/04/bit-gold-markets.html?m=1

Szabo calls out to the cypherpunk types for help to finalize coding BitGold and run a test net a few months before the white paper gets published online.

*Szabo’s post for assistance:
“Bitgold would greatly benefit from a demonstration, an experimental market (with e.g. a trusted third party substituted for the complex security that would be needed for a real system). Anybody want to help me code one up?”

Who do you think would have answered at that time? I'm sure those same names that are missing from the members list.....

Zooko: (January 26 2009)
 "What I want is a currency which everyone can cheaply and conveniently use but which no-one has the power to manipulate. No-one has the power to inflate or deflate the currency supply, no-one has the power to monitor, tax, or prevent transactions. Truly the digital equivalent of gold, during the times and places when gold was the universal currency. See the BitGold idea by Nick Szabo and b-money idea by Wei Dai, and recent effort to actually implement something along these lines: BitCoin by Satoshi Nakamoto."

* Ray Dillenger (Bear) quote: “Finney, Satoshi, and I discussed how divisible a Bitcoin ought to be.  Satoshi had already more or less decided on a 50-coin per block payout with halving every so often to add up to a 21M coin supply.  Finney made the point that people should never need any currency division smaller than a US penny, and then somebody (I forget who) consulted some oracle somewhere like maybe Wikipedia and figured out what the entire world’s M1 money supply at that time was”.

"We debated for a while about which measure of money Bitcoin most closely approximated; but M2, M3, and so on are all for debt-based currencies, so I agreed with Finney that M1 was probably the best measure". ~Ray Dillenger (Bear)

*Hal Finney quote: “How do you find someone who has spent a lifetime covering his tracks?…For some, he was a guardian angel. others, a ghost, who never quite fit in…What’s the S stand for?”

*Ray Dillenger (Bear) quote: “Look, (Satoshi) was a construction made explicitly for the purpose of launching Bitcoin……That purpose is fulfilled.  The person who created (Satoshi) has no further need for him.  Thus ends the story”.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
frank1e

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:03:48 AM

This is one of the most thrilling things (forget the future Bitcoin price!) for me, will he be found or reveal himself? God, I love mysteries.  

By the way, hello world! Just to introduce myself: I'm into Bitcoin since 2012, had the joy of being one of the late GPU miners. Never really been active on within the community. Mostly doing User Interface / User Experience works with round about 13-14 years of knowledge. Smiley Hope to have a good time here!
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:09:29 AM

2 - ###
3 - ###
4 - sirius - staff - 429
5 - ###
6 - ###
7 - ###
8 - ###
9 - ###?
10 - Xunie - full - 132
11 - madhatter - new - 1
15 - ###

http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2008/04/bit-gold-markets.html?m=1

Szabo calls out to the cypherpunk types for help to finalize coding BitGold and run a test net a few months before the white paper gets published online.

*Szabo’s post for assistance:
“Bitgold would greatly benefit from a demonstration, an experimental market (with e.g. a trusted third party substituted for the complex security that would be needed for a real system). Anybody want to help me code one up?”

Who do you think would have answered at that time? I'm sure those same names that are missing from the members list.....

Zooko: (January 26 2009)
 "What I want is a currency which everyone can cheaply and conveniently use but which no-one has the power to manipulate. No-one has the power to inflate or deflate the currency supply, no-one has the power to monitor, tax, or prevent transactions. Truly the digital equivalent of gold, during the times and places when gold was the universal currency. See the BitGold idea by Nick Szabo and b-money idea by Wei Dai, and recent effort to actually implement something along these lines: BitCoin by Satoshi Nakamoto."

* Ray Dillenger (Bear) quote: “Finney, Satoshi, and I discussed how divisible a Bitcoin ought to be.  Satoshi had already more or less decided on a 50-coin per block payout with halving every so often to add up to a 21M coin supply.  Finney made the point that people should never need any currency division smaller than a US penny, and then somebody (I forget who) consulted some oracle somewhere like maybe Wikipedia and figured out what the entire world’s M1 money supply at that time was”.

"We debated for a while about which measure of money Bitcoin most closely approximated; but M2, M3, and so on are all for debt-based currencies, so I agreed with Finney that M1 was probably the best measure". ~Ray Dillenger (Bear)

*Hal Finney quote: “How do you find someone who has spent a lifetime covering his tracks?…For some, he was a guardian angel. others, a ghost, who never quite fit in…What’s the S stand for?”

*Ray Dillenger (Bear) quote: “Look, (Satoshi) was a construction made explicitly for the purpose of launching Bitcoin……That purpose is fulfilled.  The person who created (Satoshi) has no further need for him.  Thus ends the story”.

slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:10:14 AM

This is one of the most thrilling things (forget the future Bitcoin price!) for me, will he be found or reveal himself? God, I love mysteries.  

By the way, hello world! Just to introduce myself: I'm into Bitcoin since 2012, had the joy of being one of the late GPU miners. Never really been active on within the community. Mostly doing User Interface / User Experience works with round about 13-14 years of knowledge. Smiley Hope to have a good time here!

welcome sir...
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:14:57 AM

Let's look at the horizontal view of user activity, not only the vertical list of missing spots. First 15 topics:
1 - ###
2 - ###
3 - ###
4 - ###
5 - Welcome to the new Bitcoin forum! - satoshi (someone lower on the thread asks where are threads 1-4...)
6 - Repost: Bitcoin Maturation - satoshi (as promised, first ported topic)
7 - Repost: Request: Make this anonymous?  - satoshi
8 - Repost: How anonymous are bitcoins?  - satoshi
9 - Repost: Linux/UNIX compile - satoshi
10 - [OLD THREAD] Bitcoin version 0.2 development status - satoshi
11 - ###
12 - A few suggestions - MadHatter (first legitimate discussion thread)
13 - Questions about Bitcoin - SmokeTooMuch
14 - Break on the supply's increase - xuO4k04c6Ng
15 - New Exchange Service: "BTC 2 PSC" - SmokeTooMuch

Some notes:
Sirius was one of the people that saw the original discussions: http://unbit.nl/2014/09/16/martti-malmi-on-bitcoin-and-identifi/
He made the forum, took over the website and probably threads 1-4. Maybe also user accounts in the first 10. Maybe we can ask him Smiley

All of this is boring, because you can get the early juicy stuff right here: http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/bitcoin-list/?viewmonth=200812
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:24:15 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 06:53:57 AM by Billbags

^ I don't ask those original guys(especially the ones first contacted by Satoshi) about this stuff anymore because their responses are all scripted. I can put their emails side by side and they say the same thing "word for word" *exactly* copy and paste style. So a lot of those guys are obviously part of the mystery. I won't show those emails here because they are personal emails and not public record like the ones we normally post.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:32:34 AM

From the original SF forums:

--
From: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshi@vi...> - 2008-12-10 17:00:23
 Welcome to the Bitcoin mailing list!
--
[bitcoin-list] Bitcoin works with Wine / Ubuntu
 Just an FYI that Bitcoin 0.1.3 works fine on Ubuntu 8.10 running Wine 1.0.1
--
From: Satoshi Nakamoto <satoshi@vi...> - 2009-01-25 16:45:25
> I have had a couple of problems running bitcoin: is this an appropriate
> list for reporting them (with about 70kb of attachments)?

What's the problem you're having?

If you send me your debug.log file directly (best not to send attachments
to the list), I can take a look at what's happening.

Satoshi Nakamoto
bitcoin-help at vistomail dot com

--
From: Hal Finney <hal.finney@gm...> - 2009-01-10 19:13:18
Attachments: debug.log   
Hi Satoshi - I tried running bitcoin.exe from the 0.1.0 package, and
it crashed. I am running on an up to date version of XP, SP3. The
debug.log output is attached. There was also a file db.log but it was
empty.

--

From the debug log:
GetMyExternalIP() received [207.71.226.132] 207.71.226.132:8333
SENDING: NICK uCeSAaG6R9Qidrs
IRC :lem.freenode.net 353 uCeSAaG6R9Qidrs @ #bitcoin :uCeSAaG6R9Qidrs x93428606 @u4rfwoe8g3w5Tai
IRC :lem.freenode.net 352 uCeSAaG6R9Qidrs #bitcoin i=x9342860 gateway/tor/x-bacc5813d7825a9a irc.freenode.net x93428606 H :0  x93428606
GOT WHO: [x93428606]  IRC :lem.freenode.net 352 uCeSAaG6R9Qidrs #bitcoin n=u4rfwoe8 h-68-164-57-219.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net irc.freenode.net u4rfwoe8g3w5Tai H@ :0  u4rfwoe8g3w5Tai
IRC :u4rfwoe8g3w5Tai!n=u4rfwoe8@h-68-164-57-219.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net QUIT :Read error: 131 (Connection reset by peer)

There were 2 users already on the IRC channel that bitcoin used to bootstrap back in the day. One of them was an admin. But they were both using the same remote IP, it was either a Tor exit node, or Satoshi had two clients inside the channel...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: