Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:35:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My jaw is still on the floor.  (Read 35660 times)
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:29:32 PM

So... Satoshi borrowed Nick's language to the dot, made the whitepaper and communicated in this written vernacular (I tried to adopt a new way to communicate as an alternate persona and it requires months of work and intellect to pull off).

Now Nick is communicating normally but this confuses us because we are more exposed to Satoshi than Nick.

Or maybe he is testing how well his cover works by betting 420M USD market value on it. A few years ago he was like "hey guys, check out my new electronic gold thingy, if only I could make a program to demonstrate it...". Then a few years later Satoshi came "hey guys, check out my new decentralized coinage program, care to demonstrate it?".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:30:00 PM

http://marc.info/?l=cypherpunks&m=85281708903558&w=2

List:       cypherpunks
Subject:    Party with the Nextropians! at Nexus-Lite!
Date:       1994-02-26 21:40:48
[Download message RAW]

MEET THE NEXTROPIANS: WE ARE HERE AND NOW AMONG YOU

So Nick partied with fellow cyperpunks and Nextropians:

Romana Machado, perhaps https://www.linkedin.com/in/romanamachado
Geoff Dale
David Gordon
Russell Whitaker

Where are they now?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:36:40 PM

Date:       1994-02-26 21:40:48
Romana Machado - Geoff Dale - David Gordon - Nick Szabo - Russell Whitaker
1994 means those people were born in 1965-1970, meaning they should be 45-50 years old.

http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/profile/SatoshiNakamoto

Why is Satoshi 39?
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:58:30 PM

probabilistic Byzantine consensus (sometimes also called Nakamoto  consensus)

Who the hell calls it Nakamoto consensus?! Nobody ever until now!

Bonus points: double-space!

Szabo is fucking with us...

So it's written with a dash?

Yes, but ONLY on this date in history in remembrance of "Sweet Child O' Mine" entered the Billboard Top 40 in 1988. Reason? Guns N' Roses; N' as in en dash, commonly referred to as...wait for it...a hyphen. That Satoshi sure is a clever dude.  Cool

I've been following this Twitter for a while now. Does everyone really think Satoshi is obssessed with Ethereum?? Really??

I know Vitalik has spoken to him in person. Not sure how excited he was. didn't check chub.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 09:30:11 PM

probabilistic Byzantine consensus (sometimes also called Nakamoto  consensus)

Yes, but ONLY on this date in history in remembrance of "Sweet Child O' Mine" entered the Billboard Top 40 in 1988. Reason? Guns N' Roses; N' as in en dash, commonly referred to as...wait for it...a hyphen. That Satoshi sure is a clever dude.  Cool

I've been following this Twitter for a while now. Does everyone really think Satoshi is obssessed with Ethereum?? Really??

I know Vitalik has spoken to him in person. Not sure how excited he was. didn't check chub.

I've heard this before. Not going to deny it. But how do we know? Vitalik said so? Where did this information come from?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

probabilistic Byzantine consensus (sometimes also called Nakamoto  consensus)

Yes, but ONLY on this date in history in remembrance of "Sweet Child O' Mine" entered the Billboard Top 40 in 1988. Reason? Guns N' Roses; N' as in en dash, commonly referred to as...wait for it...a hyphen. That Satoshi sure is a clever dude.  Cool

I've heard this before. Not going to deny it. But how do we know? Vitalik said so? Where did this information come from?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2jk637/gav_i_have_a_question_nick_szabo/

[–]vbuterinFounder 20 points 1 month ago

I spoke with him a couple of times, including in person. He was looking into our software and liked its smart contracting potential, but we had a few conversations where he direly warned us not to go down the path if Xanadu and try to make absolutely everything right and get sidelined by a worse-but-good-enough competitor like the World Wide Web in the process.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 09:54:13 PM

Yes, but ONLY on this date in history in remembrance of "Sweet Child O' Mine" entered the Billboard Top 40 in 1988. Reason? Guns N' Roses; N' as in en dash, commonly referred to as...wait for it...a hyphen. That Satoshi sure is a clever dude.  Cool

http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/2jk637/gav_i_have_a_question_nick_szabo/

I spoke with him a couple of times, including in person. He was looking into our software and liked its smart contracting potential, but we had a few conversations where he direly warned us not to go down the path if Xanadu and try to make absolutely everything right and get sidelined by a worse-but-good-enough competitor like the World Wide Web in the process.

I've seen this before, too. This is weak beans. What am I missing?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
slaveforanunnak1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 09:55:43 PM

I've seen this before, too. This is weak beans. What am I missing?

It's simple really. He is either lying or not. I don't know
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 11:14:09 PM

szaboshi nickomoto...
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 02:55:52 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is (probably) Nick Szabo
https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/

Running similarity metrics on the whitepaper and Nick’s bit gold articles as well as his paper “formalizing and securing relationships on public networks”  indicated an excellent match over content-neutral expressions as well –so either Nick wrote the whitepaper, or it was written by somebody imitating Nick’s writing style.

• Repeated use of “of course” without isolating commas, contrary to convention (“the problem of course is”)
  • Expression “can be characterized”, frequent in Nick’s blog
  • Use of “for our purposes” when describing hypotheses
  • Starting sentences with “It should be noted”
  • Use of “preclude”
  • Expression “a level of “ + noun  (“achieves a level of privacy by…”) as a standalone qualifier

There is also the remarkable lack of public reaction on Nick’s part when Bitcoin started taking off.

For our purposes it should be noted that the user of such prose can be characterized as an academic in the sciences, but that does not preclude use by persons having a level of familiarity with such use of course.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:12:42 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty flip/flop on Szabo, sorry, flip-flop.

Szabo is one of the seminal influences on cypherpunk thinking.  It would be no shocker if he were actually personally Satoshi, but he doesn't need to be.  His ideas speak for themselves.

He is one smart motherfucker, and you'd be well advised to take him seriously.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:18:59 PM

Szabo is one of the seminal influences on cypherpunk thinking.  It would be no shocker if he were actually personally Satoshi, but he doesn't need to be.  His ideas speak for themselves.

I thought the question was not whether the person behind Satoshi is Nick Szabo, but whether the person foaming at the mouth on Twitter about Ethereum is the same Nick Szabo as the Nick Szabo behind Satoshi...

Huh

darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:25:33 PM

Szabo is one of the seminal influences on cypherpunk thinking.  It would be no shocker if he were actually personally Satoshi, but he doesn't need to be.  His ideas speak for themselves.

I thought the question was not whether the person behind Satoshi is Nick Szabo, but whether the person foaming at the mouth on Twitter about Ethereum is the same Nick Szabo as the Nick Szabo behind Satoshi...

Huh

Nick Szabo has denied being Satoshi Nakamoto.  He has a certain notoriety for honesty, so I would not call him a liar.

It is, however, entirely possible there is no single person who is Satoshi Nakamoto.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:36:57 PM

Huh

Nick Szabo has denied being Satoshi Nakamoto.  He has a certain notoriety for honesty, so I would not call him a liar.

It is, however, entirely possible there is no single person who is Satoshi Nakamoto.

...sorry. Whether the Twitter Nick Szabo is the same Nick Szabo of BitGold...

I know it's all a bit confusing

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:43:44 PM

Szabo is one of the seminal influences on cypherpunk thinking.  It would be no shocker if he were actually personally Satoshi, but he doesn't need to be.  His ideas speak for themselves.

Yes, I take him seriously, I meant flip-flop on whether he's Satoshi or not.

I realize his ideas are very entrenched in the community that bitcoin sprang from, that's why it's hard to separate Szabo-ness from Satoshi-ness.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:44:35 PM

I'd say probably yes.  Unless the real Nick Szabo has disowned it as a complete impostor, why wouldn't it be him?  It's not a terribly common name.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:46:41 PM

I realize his ideas are very entrenched in the community that bitcoin sprang from, that's why it's hard to separate Szabo-ness from Satoshi-ness.

Really good ideas are viral.  (Unfortunately, so are really bad ideas.)

So it's entirely possible Satoshi was someone who picked up these really good ideas and ran with them.  Speculating on Satoshi's identity is kind of pointless at this phase.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:46:56 PM

interesting read
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:48:43 PM

I'd say probably yes.  Unless the real Nick Szabo has disowned it as a complete impostor, why wouldn't it be him?  It's not a terribly common name.

I guess I find it hard to believe he is such an Ethereum fanboy. I don't know. Seems shilly Undecided

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:55:57 PM

I guess I find it hard to believe he is such an Ethereum fanboy. I don't know. Seems shilly Undecided
Money is only the testing benchmark application of the blockchain technology. But there are so many other uses, where resilience, independence and anti-fragility are not required for it to work. For example internal company accounting, games, infrastructure control, resource management...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: