Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTN Litecoin GPU Miners - Scrypt support for cgminer  (Read 175818 times)
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 07:33:02 AM

so if i am not mistaken the main difference between LTC and BTC was the fact that LTC was targeted at CPU mining only.

now that you can mine it on GPU, arent both currencies basically the same? making one redundant?
Litecoin was always redundant, and a scam. There is reason to believe the original designer of the scrypt algorithm had been GPU mining it from the first day. Also, it's impossible to make a CPU-only proof-of-work. Ironically, now that GPU mining is public, they're claiming it's ASIC-resistant which is even more absurd (nothing can be ASIC resistant).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 07:54:12 AM

There is already a windows build from ckolivas, why would someone download a windows version from somewhere else?

At the time of writing it there wasn't.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:45:49 AM

so if i am not mistaken the main difference between LTC and BTC was the fact that LTC was targeted at CPU mining only.

now that you can mine it on GPU, arent both currencies basically the same? making one redundant?
Litecoin was always redundant, and a scam. There is reason to believe the original designer of the scrypt algorithm had been GPU mining it from the first day. Also, it's impossible to make a CPU-only proof-of-work. Ironically, now that GPU mining is public, they're claiming it's ASIC-resistant which is even more absurd (nothing can be ASIC resistant).

1. How is it a scam? Draw me a picture please.

2. Who lost money?

3. How is price fluctuations (like bitcoin) make it any more or less of a "scam"?

4. Wasn't ArtForz mining bitcoins with his GPU miner before any publicly released GPU miner existed? How is that any different (if it is true, which you have no proof of)?

5. "Nothing can be ASIC resistant". Well what you are doing is taking statements that are made by people who dont have a clue how litecoin works and using that to portray it as if every litecoin support believes that.

Do us all a set of favors:

1. Stop being a Douche.

2. Stop spreading bullshit and claiming that all LTC supporters  agree with certain statements.

3. Grow the fuck up. Most of the other early adopters/devs aren't as fucking childish as you are.

My rant has ended. Have a nice day!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:50:35 AM

I seem to be experiencing a problem with the new CGMiner 2.6.1-official that was not affecting 2.5.0.Scrypt_beta_ee

CGMiner now seems to be seeing cards at times as sick and the program crashes. It has happened to each of my miners at least once since I switched from the 'EE' Beta 2.5.0 yesterday, to 2.6.1 Official.

The last beta ('EE') seemed to run fine for multiple days, but I have yet to experience a SOLID 24 hours from 2.6.1-Official.....without a crash.

The 'EE' version, for reference...
win32: http://www.mediafire.com/?0yxa1cf35pk5q2i

Latest Commits included!

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 08:54:38 AM

2. Who lost money?

3. How is price fluctuations (like bitcoin) make it any more or less of a "scam"?

4. Wasn't ArtForz mining bitcoins with his GPU miner before any publicly released GPU miner existed? How is that any different (if it is true, which you have no proof of)?

5. "Nothing can be ASIC resistant". Well what you are doing is taking statements that are made by people who dont have a clue how litecoin works and using that to portray it as if every litecoin support believes that.

1. Stop being a Douche.

2. Stop spreading bullshit and claiming that all LTC supporters  agree with certain statements.

3. Grow the fuck up. Most of the other early adopters/devs aren't as fucking childish as you are.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Fatal mistake. Don't respond to trolls. The one thing that is MOST effective against them is ignoring them, or at most, talking about them in the 3rd person as though they're not present.

Luke-jr has failed to accept one of the universal truths: If you end up having a problem with the whole world, then perhaps it's not the whole world at fault.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:01:56 AM

2. Who lost money?

1. Stop being a Douche.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Fatal mistake. Don't respond to trolls. The one thing that is MOST effective against them is ignoring them, or at most, talking about them in the 3rd person as though they're not present.

Luke-jr has failed to accept one of the universal truths: If you end up having a problem with the whole world, then perhaps it's not the whole world at fault.

Words of wisdom.

Thanks.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 09:10:36 AM

I seem to be experiencing a problem with the new CGMiner 2.6.1-official that was not affecting 2.5.0.Scrypt_beta_ee

CGMiner now seems to be seeing cards at times as sick and the program crashes. It has happened to each of my miners at least once since I switched from the 'EE' Beta 2.5.0 yesterday, to 2.6.1 Official.

The last beta ('EE') seemed to run fine for multiple days, but I have yet to experience a SOLID 24 hours from 2.6.1-Official.....without a crash.

Latest Commits included!

You know it's interesting, I'm in the middle of tracking down the cause of this exact issue for someone else. It turns out that the change to avoid flooding pools on longpoll means I limit outgoing connections - this means there is more likely to be a period a GPU is idle while waiting for work. Now what's interesting is that short periods of idle followed by huge bursts of activity again tend to make cards more unstable than running them flat out 100% of the time.  Some testing showed the cards needed to have their clocks decreased quite a lot to be able to tolerate this. So overclocking which was fine before suddenly becomes unstable. I'm experimenting with a feature I call no-idle which gives GPUs fake work to keep them busy to see if this improves stability, but it's still early stages. If you have more stability with the scrypt patched 2.5.0, then by all means go with that for now.

-ck
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 10:57:25 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 02:14:32 PM by bitlane

Latest Commits included!

You know it's interesting, I'm in the middle of tracking down the cause of this exact issue for someone else. It turns out that the change to avoid flooding pools on longpoll means I limit outgoing connections - this means there is more likely to be a period a GPU is idle while waiting for work. Now what's interesting is that short periods of idle followed by huge bursts of activity again tend to make cards more unstable than running them flat out 100% of the time.  Some testing showed the cards needed to have their clocks decreased quite a lot to be able to tolerate this. So overclocking which was fine before suddenly becomes unstable. I'm experimenting with a feature I call no-idle which gives GPUs fake work to keep them busy to see if this improves stability, but it's still early stages. If you have more stability with the scrypt patched 2.5.0, then by all means go with that for now.

Could this problem simply be a bi-product of the switch to displaying MH/s while SCRYPT mining in 2.6.1 ?

In the 2.5.0 'EE' SCRYPT Beta, CGMiner displayed KH/s exclusively (GPU, Rig Summary/5s/AVG & API).
In 2.6.1, while SCRYPT mining, CGMiner seems to mix the 2 scales using KH/s for individual GPUs and then MH/s for Rig Summary/5s/AVG & API output.

Isn't this item the most significant difference that has changed from 2.5.0beta to 2.6.1official ? (for SCRYPT mining anyway).

Could the 'sickness' simply be a low value output in MH/s, causing CGMiner to panic ?

Would it be possible that when in --SCRYPT mode that the units displayed are 100% in KH/s ? (GPU, Rig Summary/5s/AVG & API output ?)
Or, perhaps have the option to specify in the CMD line using something like [ --units khash] or [--units mhash] ?

...Just a thought.
thanks again,
bitlane.

BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:01:54 AM

so has anyone tested cgminer with 5850s? is it faster than reaper and therefore worth me switching over, or is it roughly the the same hashrate?

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:28:25 AM

Would it be possible that when in --SCRYPT mode that the units displayed are 100% in KH/s ? (GPU, Rig Summary/5s/AVG & API output ?)
Or, perhaps have the option to specify in the CMD line using something like [ --units khash] or [--units mhash] ?

As you probably have noticed, there is no space for the Kh/s in the upper row when you are in 1000 range Smiley
Mine shows Kh/s  

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:47:23 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 12:00:45 PM by bitlane

As you probably have noticed, there is no space for the Kh/s in the upper row when you are in 1000 range Smiley
Mine shows Kh/s  

You sure about THAT ?

<EDIT>

My API Web App displays whatever it's fed and does so automatically (kh rather than the MH as I showed above)...
(although values are dynamic, units are static in the app and need to be changed....not a big deal)

burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 03:04:34 PM

Nah, no FPGA's or ASIC's for LTC. (thus still accessible by the common man) LTC will have more coins in the wild.  Faster confirms.  LTC ftw.

edit... delayed reaction.  doh.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 12:08:50 AM

Could the 'sickness' simply be a low value output in MH/s, causing CGMiner to panic ?
No, but that bug WAS in 2.6.0 which was the main reason for 2.6.1

We have found that this problem you describe happens with driver 12.6 when it doesn't happen with the earlier drivers which were better (specifically the so-called 8.921 release which was the first beta driver supporting 7970s).

-ck
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:50:23 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 08:09:59 AM by VelvetLeaf

That means the settings aren't at best. Play with it, try lower concurrencys and higher ones. The settings won't be the same as reaper. Try other worksizes.

2x5970, got 1022 kH/s with this parameter :
--scrypt --thread-concurrency 6144 --intensity 13 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-threads 1 --gpu-memclock 1100 --gpu-engine 775 --auto-fan --temp-target 75 --worksize 256

Still less than 1.2 MH/s from reaper with the same configuration.
But temperature so far is good, better than reaper's temperature.

EDIT : Got 1.2 MH/s with intensity 15
I'm afraid to raise intensity because of the warning in readme : "Intensities over 13 start writing over the same ram and it is highly dependent on the GPU, but they can start actually DECREASING your hashrate, or even worse, start producing garbage with rejects skyrocketing."

EDIT 2 : Still fluctuating, now at 1.0 MH/s average.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
SAC

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:28:40 AM

That means the settings aren't at best. Play with it, try lower concurrencys and higher ones. The settings won't be the same as reaper. Try other worksizes.

2x5970, got 1022 kH/s with this parameter :
--scrypt --thread-concurrency 6144 --intensity 13 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-threads 1 --gpu-memclock 1100 --gpu-engine 775 --auto-fan --temp-target 75 --worksize 256

Still less than 1.2 MH/s from reaper with the same configuration.
But temperature so far is good, better than reaper's temperature.

EDIT : Got 1.2 MH/s with intensity 15
I'm afraid to raise intensity because of the warning in readme : "Intensities over 13 start writing over the same ram and it is highly dependent on the GPU, but they can start actually DECREASING your hashrate, or even worse, start producing garbage with rejects skyrocketing."

EDIT 2 : Still fluctuating, now at 1.0 MH/s average.

2x5970, gets me 1388 kH/s, 347Kh/s per core with these parameters :
--scrypt --thread-concurrency 8000 --intensity 18 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-threads 2 --gpu-memclock 1050 --gpu-engine 750 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 81 --worksize 256

Stales at ~1-3% depending on how fast the network is running as most of them come on the new blocks.
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:36:15 AM

--scrypt --thread-concurrency 8000 --intensity 18 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-threads 2 --gpu-memclock 1050 --gpu-engine 750 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --temp-target 81 --worksize 256

Stales at ~1-3% depending on how fast the network is running as most of them come on the new blocks.

Got cgminer isn't responding. What's your driver version ?

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
SAC

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:27:52 PM

Got cgminer isn't responding. What's your driver version ?

Ubuntu 11.04 12.6 display driver SDK 2.7.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 07:35:27 AM

Is there a way to implement an option to add thread-concurrency configuration through cgminer.exe?

Everytime I do a [W], cgminer overwrites my config file, removing

Code:
"thread-concurrency" : "7200,7200",

from cgminer.conf.

Or is it already there and I am overlooking it?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 07:38:32 AM

Is there a way to implement an option to add thread-concurrency configuration through cgminer.exe?

Everytime I do a [W], cgminer overwrites my config file, removing

Code:
"thread-concurrency" : "7200,7200",

from cgminer.conf.

Or is it already there and I am overlooking it?
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/279

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:35:03 AM

Oh, so it is a known problem. mk. Thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: