Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:56:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916327 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 12:52:07 AM

I really don't get why one of the established exchanges isn't being used.  Seems like the shares in the passthroughs work just fine.

I'd say it's because they aren't really established. Other than MPEx they have only been around for a few months, and have relatively low trade volumes. Bitfountain has a fine dividend system in place, and we have the option of using BTC-TC and Bitfunder to trade our shares if we want to take that risk.

Risk in an exchange would only apply for money in the exchange and the asset infos. If an exchange gives out that info regularly to the asset issuer and if no real btc is shared in there, for example because money left is always sent back to an address owned by the shareholder, then i dont see much risk. At least no risk like it happened in glbse.com.
Anyway... bitfountain decided to create an own exchange and already did this. It wont happen that shares will be traded on another share anymore. Thinking about this is pointless i believe. Its only a matter of time if friedcat and team can solve the problems, get the remaining TH online and have time to test the exchange before letting go it live. It still sounds they are working pretty hard so it might take some time till thats happening.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:54:05 AM

I really don't get why one of the established exchanges isn't being used.  Seems like the shares in the passthroughs work just fine.

I'd say it's because they aren't really established. Other than MPEx they have only been around for a few months, and have relatively low trade volumes. Bitfountain has a fine dividend system in place, and we have the option of using BTC-TC and Bitfunder to trade our shares if we want to take that risk.

Bitfunder has about 640btc 24hr volume right now, probly not as high as mpex, but nothing to sneeze at.
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:33:38 AM

bitfountain decided to create an own exchange and already did this.
Oh. An "exchange". "already" you say.

And where is this exchange where I can buy/sell, please?

--

Actually, my question is rhetorical since I've already transferred all my shares to BitFunder and sold out.

IMO, 0.8+ BTC per share is about twice the 'proper' price.

And I recognize that is fairly open to debate. I made my assumptions and estimates for the next twelve months and made my decision.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:33:40 AM

Why not use a stripped down version of the bitcoin code? Each share is a coin, no decimal places allowed, and blocks can be generated using the issuers signing key instead of mining. Shares can be traded p2p and transactions confirmed by the issuer.

Why would you want to give issuers the power to veto transactions?

1) Possibly there are legal reasons they must.

2) ASICMINER has that power right now.

3) An issuer in general always has the ultimate power:  they can inflate their own shares, or simply stop producing useful revenue.

1) Why should we care about that?  We have the means of making a better system.  Law always plays catch-up anyway.

2) True.  And before they had the sole ability, GLBSE had it.  All of the "stock exchanges" are just ledger books, even MPEX.  By and large, we don't accept money that is only ours because someone says it is ours, we prefer money that is cryptographically ours.  Why do we still accept fiat securities while we reject fiat money?

3) They always have the ability to do things globally.  Why should they also have the ability to selectively veto private transfers?

I worked out a system (probably like the 50th person to do so, but whatever)  with a merged mine chain that was a bit like namecoin, but with quantities.  Totally decentralized, like bitcoin.  You'd need brokers still, but that's pretty much the case when trading bitcoin also.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 11:16:34 AM

bitfountain decided to create an own exchange and already did this.
Oh. An "exchange". "already" you say.

And where is this exchange where I can buy/sell, please?

Its not online yet. But friedcat wrote that they already paid someone who created it. Im not sure why it isnt online, maybe it has to be tested before or similar but he claimed its work to do before it can go online and he doesnt have the time.
Because he already paid for an own exchange i doubt they now will start to use another exchange. So the discussion how good other exchanges are doesnt make sense anymore.
I didnt say more.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:10:59 PM

1) Why should we care about that?  We have the means of making a better system.  Law always plays catch-up anyway.

2) True.  And before they had the sole ability, GLBSE had it.  All of the "stock exchanges" are just ledger books, even MPEX.  By and large, we don't accept money that is only ours because someone says it is ours, we prefer money that is cryptographically ours.  Why do we still accept fiat securities while we reject fiat money?

3) They always have the ability to do things globally.  Why should they also have the ability to selectively veto private transfers?

I worked out a system (probably like the 50th person to do so, but whatever)  with a merged mine chain that was a bit like namecoin, but with quantities.  Totally decentralized, like bitcoin.  You'd need brokers still, but that's pretty much the case when trading bitcoin also.

Unless/until you have good answers for these problems you're by and large wasting your time is my guess.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:59:03 PM

Unless/until you have good answers for these problems you're by and large wasting your time is my guess.

Well, I start by not assuming that there are no brokerages or exchanges...  that takes care of problems 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4.  I could go into detail on each point, but I think the mechanics are pretty simple, once you get rid of that one (silly) assumption.  If anyone is unable to work through each one on their own, I'd be happy to start a new thread.

A bitcoin-like system for exchanging securities has pretty much all of the same advantages and disadvantages that bitcoin has.  Note that all transactions in bitcoin are simple donations.  Real world transactions are only possible when one party or the other is willing to trust the other for a little while.  That same level of trust would be needed for a distributed securities exchange system.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Brushan

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:34:00 PM

So, how is it going with the weekly update?
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:39:44 PM

Friedcat, will there be an update this week?
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:08:43 PM

Update

Board members
A mail has been sent to the board member mailing list. We are sorry for the long interval between the last one and this.

OP
The main thread is under a re-writing since much information of the original one is out-dated. The old OP is backed-up by forum members in the replies.

Status
This week's dividends will be paid twice. The first is to pay the rest of the 0.1BTC/share, that is 0.00750846BTC/share. The second is to start the normal payment which splits proportionally between ASICMINER and Bitfountain.

This week meets more stagnancy of deploying. But in the last few days we poured 0.5TH/s into our mining farm as the installing of power cables in the new place goes on. The total hashrate grows much less than this, mostly possibly because of the bottleneck in our local network setting. We are still identifying and fixing the problem.

Next batch
The critical path is on either the packaging company's testing, or the interval between ordering and delivering of some components. Either way the assembly will finish in next month. Here is what the next batch improves over this one:

* The chips are functionality tested by the packaging company using automatic devices instead of by ourselves.
* The power supply will be sufficient for most, if not all, of the devices and cooling settings even with overclocking. No further large-scale migration will be needed.
* With better heat solutions, they are to be all overclocked by default.
* More people will do the deploying and maintainance for us.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:11:10 PM

If people are interested in the "shareholder registry", enabling decentralized exchange, it could be written fairly quickly by myself.

No fee or bounty, though donations are always welcome.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:13:16 PM

Can you clarify your estimated dates for increased hashing? Next month is only a week away and we don't know whether you are talking about getting to 12TH, 15TH or 60TH or what when? Thank you sir!
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:22:12 PM

Can you clarify your estimated dates for increased hashing? Next month is only a week away and we don't know whether you are talking about getting to 12TH, 15TH or 60TH or what when? Thank you sir!
Next batch is at least 50TH/s, which will be assembled and available in the early or middle of next month. Before that we have to gather more employees to form a deploying team because it's nearly a magnitude larger. We also have to deploy the rest of the first batch during this period (between now and the time next batch arrives) with or without new members to the company.

And this is estimation. We had somehow missed of the chips production cycle (actual arriving date: late December, estimated: late October to November) and the production/deploying cycle (actual deploying date: still going on, estimated: within March). Unexpected things happen, but we are fully aware of the reason of delays of the first batch and avoided the most in the next one.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:25:41 PM

If people are interested in the "shareholder registry", enabling decentralized exchange, it could be written fairly quickly by myself.

No fee or bounty, though donations are always welcome.

Iirc they had a thing developed in house over the course of > 3 months to do this. It's not been mentioned again, so I guess fail on that score?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:26:14 PM

Next batch is at least 50TH/s, which will be assembled and available in the early or middle of next month. Before that we have to gather more employees to form a deploying team because it's nearly a magnitude larger. We also have to deploy the rest of the first batch during this period (between now and the time next batch arrives) with or without new members to the company.

And this is estimation. We had somehow missed of the chips production cycle (actual arriving date: late December, estimated: late October to November) and the production/deploying cycle (actual deploying date: still going on, estimated: within March). Unexpected things happen, but we are fully aware of the reason of delays of the first batch and avoided the most in the next one.

Thanks for the added info, much appreciated  Grin
talnted

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

www.bitcoingem.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 06:44:17 PM

Thanks for the update friedcat!  Smiley

The Original and Most Popular Gem Game: www.bitcoingem.com
Over 800+ BTC Paid Out!  1110+ Buyers of the Gem!
SmiGueL

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:59:55 PM

Thanks for the update Friedcat!

Nice to know what to expect in the next weeks/months  Smiley

Asicminer Hashrate Charts @ www.asicminercharts.com

Donations BTC: 1SmiGSGWXzD5aZhmw3jyfpBFCgiki45MT
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:54:32 PM

This is extremely bullish.

Reasons:

(1) BFL is going to ship next month, not this month... even more delays.  They will still only be able to ship 42 TH/s at best.
(2) Avalons are more expensive now.
-> Competitors not going to add too much hashrate to the network.  Let's assume it's 130 TH/s without us.
(3) Bitfountain will be able to deploy much more rapidly this time, since our racks will come fully assembled in mid-April.

This gives us at least April and early May to hash at 60 TH/s, and possibly more with overclocking, which would be at least 25% of the network.  Per share dividends per week: (1/4) 3600 * 7 / 400000 = .01575.  Thus, a reasonable level of profitability can be reasonably expected to continue well into May.

(BFL)^2 < 0
talnted

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

www.bitcoingem.com

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 08:57:38 PM

Reasons:

(1) BFL is going to ship next month, not this month... even more delays.  They will still only be able to ship 42 TH/s at best.
-> Competitors not going to add too much hashrate to the network.  Let's assume it's 130 TH/s without us.
(3) Bitfountain will be able to deploy much more rapidly this time, since our racks will come fully assembled in mid-April.

This gives us at least April and early May to hash at 60 TH/s, and possibly more with overclocking, which would be at least 25% of the network.  Per share dividends per week: (1/4) 3600 * 7 / 400000 = .01575.  Thus, a reasonable level of profitability can be reasonably expected to continue well into May.

You sure you still want to sell all those shares then?  Cheesy

The Original and Most Popular Gem Game: www.bitcoingem.com
Over 800+ BTC Paid Out!  1110+ Buyers of the Gem!
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:13:12 PM

Reasons:

You sure you still want to sell all those shares then?  Cheesy

Well, I started selling before the update... not sure anymore what to do Tongue

(BFL)^2 < 0
Pages: « 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: