Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:01:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916343 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 02:56:35 AM

Hmm, what are we doing with the namecoins we are getting from Bitminter?  We must have quite a few by now...

Just give them away. I have a namecoin address somewhere..

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gmouse

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:10:45 AM

Hmm, what are we doing with the namecoins we are getting from Bitminter?  We must have quite a few by now...

Would it work to have shareholders provide friedcat with a namecoin address, and they be paid out proportionally to those that want them?  It might be an unwelcome pain for friedcat though, hopefully the current distribution of bitcoin dividends is streamlined and automated, and adding the namecoin to the process is not too much of a headache...
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:12:12 AM

Would it work to have shareholders provide friedcat with a namecoin address, and they be paid out proportionally to those that want them?  It might be an unwelcome pain for friedcat though, hopefully the current distribution of bitcoin dividends is streamlined and automated, and adding the namecoin to the process is not too much of a headache...

I said dump for the best NMC/BTC conversion rate, I want my portion in BTC pl0x
gmouse

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:29:33 AM

Update

A lot of great thing happened last week. We wiped over the obstacles (infrastructure and paperwork) on deploying and put a lot of our available hashrate online. We also did a significant improvement (power, design, appearance) on the USB stick from the sample batch to the production batch.

For the discussion in the last few days, what we... I could say, is only that our IC design team had achieved fantastic results, as everyone could see and compare, with the most limited funds (barely more than 100k$ raised last August) and most inferior mask-set of choice (130nm which belongs to the antiquity era), and I'm proud of it.

Excellent!

What does the future hold for us?  Will AM invest in a next-gen chip using 28nm or 32nm?  I have a vague idea that chips with a smaller nm mask set are more efficient in terms of power requirements, but I don't really understand what sort of economic forces would make a next-gen chip based on 28nm or 32nm (or others, smaller than the current fab using 130nm) desirable.  So, anyone that knows more about this, please chime in!
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:29:40 AM

I said dump for the best NMC/BTC conversion rate, I want my portion in BTC pl0x

It'll only get you 1% more or so in dividends, and would drive down the NMC/BTC price all the time.  
If that 1% is going to be worth anything, it's if you hold the NMC you get paid.

(BFL)^2 < 0
VJain

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 03:33:41 AM

Update

A lot of great thing happened last week. We wiped over the obstacles (infrastructure and paperwork) on deploying and put a lot of our available hashrate online. We also did a significant improvement (power, design, appearance) on the USB stick from the sample batch to the production batch.

For the discussion in the last few days, what we... I could say, is only that our IC design team had achieved fantastic results, as everyone could see and compare, with the most limited funds (barely more than 100k$ raised last August) and most inferior mask-set of choice (130nm which belongs to the antiquity era), and I'm proud of it.

Excellent!

What does the future hold for us?  Will AM invest in a next-gen chip using 28nm or 32nm?  I have a vague idea that chips with a smaller nm mask set are more efficient in terms of power requirements, but I don't really understand what sort of economic forces would make a next-gen chip based on 28nm or 32nm (or others, smaller than the current fab using 130nm) desirable.  So, anyone that knows more about this, please chime in!

Wouldn't going to a smaller fab size [potentially] also increase watt / nm^2? Kind of like Intel's Ivy Bridge - and cause heating issues? Also, I'd assume doing this would also greatly increase the cost/delays of getting the chips made due to higher demands for the newer arch.

Making Apps and Websites for people. I charge reasonable rates ($30-40/hour in BTC).
AMuppInTime
Donator

Activity: 290

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:36:38 AM

Friedcat, please respond to the backlog of share transfer requests.  Cry

Please...  Cheesy
+1
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:41:24 AM

Excellent!

Smaller nm mask means more hashrate per chip. However, they're more expensive to produce as newer fabs charge higher prices as they're still recouping their own investment. Friedcat guessed right that an antique mask would mean he could get the chips fabbed faster with greater reliability. He also could lock in the fab to produce them in volume for him.

At some point AM will have to go to a smaller mask, but at least now there's a bulging war chest to pay for it, I expect. So booking a newer fab for a longer period of time becomes feasible.

There are some other companies already developing chips with much smaller masks (~35nM maybe?) but none of them have hit production yet AFAIK.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Franktank

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:49:35 AM

Smaller nm mask means more hashrate per chip. However, they're more expensive to produce as newer fabs charge higher prices as they're still recouping their own investment. Friedcat guessed right that an antique mask would mean he could get the chips fabbed faster with greater reliability. He also could lock in the fab to produce them in volume for him.

At some point AM will have to go to a smaller mask, but at least now there's a bulging war chest to pay for it, I expect. So booking a newer fab for a longer period of time becomes feasible.

There are some other companies already developing chips with much smaller masks (~35nM maybe?) but none of them have hit production yet AFAIK.

So it's wishful thinking to have next gen ASIC chips on par with Intel's Skylake/Skymont?  Tongue
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:01:31 AM

So it's wishful thinking to have next gen ASIC chips on par with Intel's Skylake/Skymont?  Tongue

Only if Friedcat wants to disrupt Intel next!

Seriously, it's a very interesting question. At any stage of this arms race competing chip makers have to choose between higher upfront costs and lead times against have a chip with a competitive edge. It's inefficient and risky to go too big too soon. There's no point in being too big a share of the network, so even if you can build something miles better than everyone else perhaps you shouldn't. So I guess it's a question of considering:

• who else is making chips;
  • in what volume can they get them;
  • what performance will they get with them; and
  • when do I think they will hit the network, or will they go broke first

Companies that survive will have to revisit these questions and get good answers every time they commit to a next generation chip.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:06:15 AM

Only if Friedcat wants to disrupt Intel next!

Seriously, it's a very interesting question. At any stage of this arms race competing chip makers have to choose between higher upfront costs and lead times against have a chip with a competitive edge. It's inefficient and risky to go too big too soon. There's no point in being too big a share of the network, so even if you can build something miles better than everyone else perhaps you shouldn't. So I guess it's a question of considering:

• who else is making chips;
  • in what volume can they get them;
  • what performance will they get with them; and
  • when do I think they will hit the network, or will they go broke first

Companies that survive will have to revisit these questions and get good answers every time they commit to a next generation chip.

If ASICMINER builds hashpower that will put it over 50% of the current network speed, it can always sell the excess hashrate to keep below a certain percent of the network.  There's always incentive to build something faster with better technology as you raise the barrier to entry and thus can keep the profit margin.

Did the USB stick officially goes on sale?  That would generate revenue of 0.05 BTC / share if sold out, a pretty juicy dividend / good reserve for further development.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 05:32:19 AM

Please stop being worried about an single entity having 50%+ of the network,

Someone could have 90% hashrate and as long as he doesn't mess with the chain rules you've nothing to worry about.
furuknap

Activity: 294

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 05:46:34 AM

Someone could have 90% hashrate and as long as he doesn't mess with the chain rules you've nothing to worry about.

We do have something to worry about because such a scenario would undermine Bitcoin as a currency. Thus, great care is taken to avoid it.

ASICMiner can avoid this in many ways, and I trust friedcat to manage this strategy however makes sense.

.b

aahzmundus

Activity: 644

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:45:12 AM

You are a fool...

It does not matter if they would or would not mess with this or that.  The simple fact that they COULD would ruin any legitimacy bitcoin has....

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:55:03 AM

I hope AM forks the blockchain and proportionally transfers all BTC to their shareholders.

Then Bitcoin shall be known henceforth as FriedCoin.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:17:28 AM

FriedCoin

An alt coin with 1:1 to a real ASICMINER share. Would make sense more than the other wannabe alt coins

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
gmouse

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:47:39 AM

That statement is not even remotely accurate.

The market does observe, and is sensitive to, what entity controls what % of hashrate.

All it takes is perception.  The fact that such an entity is virtuous is of no matter; we need to keep any one miner well below the threshold that an average, ignorant as they may be, observer deems as an acceptable % of the network hash in total. 
gsan

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:30:06 AM

I tried asking this in one of the auction threads but got no response, is there any way to verify the people auctioning off direct shares? I would like to make a significant purchase but simply can't due to lack of information. Can someone at ASICMiner (with the seller's permission of course) confirm shares being auctioned are legitimate?

If in doubt, use an escrow. Here is a thread about forum escrows: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716 (may be outdated).

Basically, direct share owners are identified by the Bitcoin addresses on file with friedcat. These addresses receive 1 Satoshi per share every week, which you can view through any Bitcoin block explorer. You can use this data to derive the number of shares the address owns at the time of dividend payment.

Always ask the seller to digitally sign the intent of sale using this address (using bitcoin-qt or a similar tool of your choosing), especially if you chose not to use an escrow. This way, you will know that they are the real recipient of dividends to this address, and not declaring someone else's address as their own. Also, if clearly worded, you may use such a signed intent of sale document to resolve any dispute that may occur.

Again, if in doubt, use an escrow.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 08:34:01 AM

I hope AM forks the blockchain and proportionally transfers all BTC to their shareholders.

Then Bitcoin shall be known henceforth as FriedCoin.   Grin
Then the devs would change the algorithm to exclude the ASICMINER devices and continue from the fork before they did that ...
i.e. no it wont happen.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
JaredR26

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 12:14:16 PM

It does matter.  What if the attacker was a government?  They don't have to try to stop Bitcoin.  They just have to sieze that one operator of 50+% mining, and suddenly they have the whole network.
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: